• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
speaking about back exercises... the wide grip, unassisted pull-up has been my main exercise with that particular kind of motion (arms straight up pulling something down or pulling myself up), so I stopped doing pulldowns and all other similar cable machine exercises alltogether because it seemed redundant.

I thought I'd be making a better use of my time doing other pull movements instead of doing 2 or 3 exercise that use the same motion....

my exercises on back days include

Deadlift,
pull-ups,
Incline bent over-rows, plate loaded (should probably do classic barbell here...)
cable seated rows (narrow grip)
lower back hyperextensions.

I have tried other exercises but this combo seemed to me like the smartest, judging by importance of exercise and variety of moves. I think I could include reverse flies to target upper back though.

opinions?

Nice! I love when one progress pic starts a whole train of pictures. Funny how you look bigger at a lighter weight.

And I put 10 pounds on after the cruise and it never came off D:

Haha..ha...:/

Cutting is very cyclical it seems. You spend two weeks going nowhere on the scale even though you know you're in a deficit, feeling like you're getting smaller and weaker and yet all not any less fat. Then boom, you drop 3 pounds in a couple days and suddenly the fat comes off in sheets. You look leaner and see these weird lines in your legs and shoulders that weren't there before. And then you stay like that for a couple weeks with some steady losses, and it happens again.

It's like the unswole valley. I think it takes your body a couple weeks to shift into using more fat for fuel (regardless of if you're doing keto or not) so you can't just throw your hands up and quit and give into the temptation to go back to bulking.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Errrr... sorry. Never mind what I said.

Uhmm... I guess it also affects part of the rear shoulder, so it's not so bad, but with the next day having dead lifts, I wonder if it doesn't affect that. I'd like to see what Cooter meant.
Sorry. I meant palms up using a straight bar or ez curl attachment on the cables. This is one of the few pulling tri exercises instead of pushing. Not a lat pull down or a rope push down. Hope that helps.

Szu

Sorry. I meant palms up using a straight bar or ez curl attachment on the cables. This is one of the few pulling tri exercises instead of pushing. Not a lat pull down or a rope push down. Hope that helps.

It took me some time, but I think I found the correct pics to illustrate Cooter's form.

179_1.jpg

179_2.jpg

Chocobro

Uni gym is closed down until the 2nd of January :(
Ah well, two weeks of inactivity. I guess I'll stick to pushups, pullups, and squatting while holding heavy stuff to maintain some sort of physical activity so that my body won't get rid of my muscles.

I know that feel Squiddy..I know that feel :'( Mine closes this Sunday and reopens on January 3.
And yeah I'm going to be doing the same; can't lose the gains. Additionally, after such a hectic semester, I just have to keep myself busy and not slack off.

rokkerkory

Haha..ha...:/

Cutting is very cyclical it seems. You spend two weeks going nowhere on the scale even though you know you're in a deficit, feeling like you're getting smaller and weaker and yet all not any less fat. Then boom, you drop 3 pounds in a couple days and suddenly the fat comes off in sheets. You look leaner and see these weird lines in your legs and shoulders that weren't there before. And then you stay like that for a couple weeks with some steady losses, and it happens again.

It's like the unswole valley. I think it takes your body a couple weeks to shift into using more fat for fuel (regardless of if you're doing keto or not) so you can't just throw your hands up and quit and give into the temptation to go back to bulking.

this is especially true for me, but it's longer =/

just keep it up, it'll come in time!

I'm looking to augment SS a bit to yield more chest growth. Here's my problem:

I weigh something between 170 and 180, and I'm currently benching between 210-215 (3x5). Now, I've plateaued at this point for longer than I'd like, but I can't think of anything to change this (all of my other lifts are steadily increasing). Eliot Hulse recently posted a video in response to a similar problem to which he recommended drop sets following the 3x5. Is this a good idea? The idea of doing some supplemental bodybuilding is appealing to me, as I kinda hate the way my chest looks.

Anyone?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

The only way to know is to try it.

If you're stalling on bench it really matters where you're missing at. Is it at lockout or off the chest.

Eventually "routines" become less of a thing to follow strictly and more of things to go you an idea of what to play with. It's up to you to figure out what works for you and you won't figure that out without experimenting.

speaking about back exercises... the wide grip, unassisted pull-up has been my main exercise with that particular kind of motion (arms straight up pulling something down or pulling myself up), so I stopped doing pulldowns and all other similar cable machine exercises alltogether because it seemed redundant.

I thought I'd be making a better use of my time doing other pull movements instead of doing 2 or 3 exercise that use the same motion....

my exercises on back days include

Deadlift,
pull-ups,
Incline bent over-rows, plate loaded (should probably do classic barbell here...)
cable seated rows (narrow grip)
lower back hyperextensions.

I have tried other exercises but this combo seemed to me like the smartest, judging by importance of exercise and variety of moves. I think I could include reverse flies to target upper back though.

opinions?

I'd replace the machine bent over rows with barbell unless your lower back is fried that day.

I may add in a high seated row machine in there if you have one. The gym I go to has a hammer strength one that hits upper traps and back and I fell in love with that damned thing. It's amazing.

I'd maybe also add some face pulls in there too.

IMO you can't do enough back work.

rokkerkory

I ate like 2000 calories for lunch today at an Indian restaurant... kinda dying right now lol

can't wait to hit gym to burn it off

OG Kush

The back is one your biggest body parts so I always feel it can take a lot more stress than say your chest. It's just funny seeing people who do more exercises for their chest even though the chest is much smaller than the whole of your back!

Starting to like how these deadlifts are taxing on my body while cutting. I can seriously feel that shit, take effect the day after a workout.

Btw, does anybody have experience with a weightlifting and sword fighting combo? Considering joining up to Kendo to compliment my weightlifting.

sphinx

the piano man
I'd replace the machine bent over rows with barbell unless your lower back is fried that day.

I may add in a high seated row machine in there if you have one. The gym I go to has a hammer strength one that hits upper traps and back and I fell in love with that damned thing. It's amazing.

I'd maybe also add some face pulls in there too.

IMO you can't do enough back work.

yeah I used to do a couple more exercises but I thought it was just too much and that I was "fucking around" too much, I tried to put some order there but I could use 1 or 2 more,

Will look into your suggested exercises, thanks.

Alright everyone I need some help. Sorry if this is kind of long, but I want to detail my situation and where I would like to be.

I'm 5'10 and 185 currently. I was originally just trying to get back to my old weight of 175 when I started exercising and eating healthy back in sept at a starting weight of 206.

Well some things have changed. My girl and I just split and now were' both moving into our own places. So its safe to say I'm extra motivated to try and increase my physique. I will have significantly more free time now. Instead of wallowing and feeling depressed and eating like I used to do when i was stressed I want to just turn it into muscle and more weight loss.

I'm not looking to get buff or ripped, but I ultimately want to get cut. I'd like to have defined arms, a visible and fairly defined chest and abdomen as well. I want that awesome ridge thing. So I want to get down to low body fat, and defined yet somewhat lean not buff muscles.

My current plan is to continue to with my basic cardio/workout maybe ramp that up. I'll be home during holiday for the next ten days so I will just follow through on that. Though I'd like to develop a good new system to start for when I get home.

I just really want to use this energy that I have for something positive and get in the best shape of my life.

I'm going to be short on cash for the first month. So joining a gym is out of the question for jan. Since I have to spend my money on getting a new place. I do have some free weights that go up to 40lbs each which I have honestly neglected. I also am thinking about a pull up bar for the door way.

Now I have no expectation on how long this may take. I'm not expecting to look svelte and cut by march or anything. I just want to really kick into gear.

So if anyone has recommendations on how to best start using my free weights. Maybe a few workouts for that.

Also any recommendations for other workouts that an be done at home beyond a pull up bar. I'm considering something similar to T25 or Insanity.

I plan on continuing my current cardio which is 2 miles 4 days a week, and sit-ups and pushups 5 days a week. I think I might even want to ramp up my two miles to 3.

Thanks Fitness GAF. With your help I want to really turn my body around. I am very highly motivated at the moment and the gains I have made confidence wise by just losing those 21 pounds these last 3 months really have me wanting more.

my first advice,and I tell this to everyone who can't/won't go to a gym: try to look for equipment in parks: some double bars, a pull-up bar, etc. they are everywhere.

another thing: there aren't "lean muscles" or "buff muscles". guys who look lean have muscles at a low bodyfat %, guys who look buff have muscles with a higher BF %

both have one thing in common: they have muscles

and there is just one path to get there: you have to train hard, lift heavy, eat well and sleep.

I have always been an advocate of cardio, but in this case, in my opinion, your 2 miles 4 days a week will get in the way of getting those gains. I'd cut to two times a week and make sure you eat well.

my first advice,and I tell this to everyone who can't/won't go to a gym: try to look for equipment in parks: some double bars, a pull-up bar, etc. they are everywhere.

another thing: there aren't "lean muscles" or "buff muscles". guys who look lean have muscles at a low bodyfat %, guys who look buff have muscles with a higher BF %

both have one thing in common: they have muscles

and there is just one path to get there: you have to train hard, lift heavy, eat well and sleep.

I have always been an advocate of cardio, but in this case, in my opinion, your 2 miles 4 days a week will get in the way of getting those gains. I'd cut to two times a week and make sure you eat well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get a pull-up bar for my new apt. I'd love to start going to the gym, I just need a month before I can responsibly afford it, since I have to put a lot of extra money down for first months rent, and the security deposit right after holiday.

Will my cardio really hurt? My BMI is like 26.4 I have a lot of fat to lose. I didn't know that it would hurt muscle growth, especially sine I have a lot of weight loss to work on still.

I'm ready to commit. I wasn't always out of shape, when I was younger I was always in great shape, but as I have gotten older I began to get lazy, but never stopped eating like I was working out everyday and playing lacrosse.

As far as sleep and eating well, I am down for that. Honestly I just want something new to dive into and really use my new found free time in a productive healthy manner. I lived with my ex for 2.5 years together for 4 total. The new few months are going to be tough, and I want to come out on the other side both looking and feeling my best.

Thanks for the advice and any future advice.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So sounds like my sister might actually stick to going to the gym for once. Anyone know of a good routine? Only thing I can think of is of course Starting Strength since she is a complete beginner. She mentioned she doesn't mind lifting either since she just wants to get in general shape.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get a pull-up bar for my new apt. I'd love to start going to the gym, I just need a month before I can responsibly afford it, since I have to put a lot of extra money down for first months rent, and the security deposit right after holiday.

Will my cardio really hurt? My BMI is like 26.4 I have a lot of fat to lose. I didn't know that it would hurt muscle growth, especially sine I have a lot of weight loss to work on still.

I'm ready to commit. I wasn't always out of shape, when I was younger I was always in great shape, but as I have gotten older I began to get lazy, but never stopped eating like I was working out everyday and playing lacrosse.

As far as sleep and eating well, I am down for that. Honestly I just want something new to dive into and really use my new found free time in a productive healthy manner. I lived with my ex for 2.5 years together for 4 total. The new few months are going to be tough, and I want to come out on the other side both looking and feeling my best.

Thanks for the advice and any future advice.

You say you want to achieve a particular look, the question is if losing weight would be enough to get you there or if you would need to put on lean mass. 185lbs at 5'10" doesn't sound massively overweight to me (don't bother about BMI), if you can find out your bodyfat %, either through measurement or visual estimation, you'd have a clearer idea of what your plan should be. If you don't have much muscle, you may be disappointed with how you look if you just do cardio and light resistance exercises to lose the weight.

For your general health, quality of life and fitness, as well as for putting on a base of lean mass, a beginners strength program is your best bet. There's one in the OP which you could adapt to perform with dumbbells (assuming that what you mean when you say free weights) as an interim measure until you join a gym or get your own equipment. Cut back the cardio back by a couple of times a week to avoid fatigue and perform your bodyweight exercises at the same time as your lifting; your goal should be to make each session of resistance training an easily progress-able full body workout (ie increasing reps, sets or weight). Pushups will be useful if you don't have a bench, pull-ups are always good. I would opt for planks and supermans/lying back extensions for your core over sit-ups, but it's up to you.

So sounds like my sister might actually stick to going to the gym for once. Anyone know of a good routine? Only thing I can think of is of course Starting Strength lol.
Is there any reason why she can't do SS?

Cooter

Alright everyone I need some help. Sorry if this is kind of long, but I want to detail my situation and where I would like to be.

I'm 5'10 and 185 currently. I was originally just trying to get back to my old weight of 175 when I started exercising and eating healthy back in sept at a starting weight of 206.

Well some things have changed. My girl and I just split and now were' both moving into our own places. So its safe to say I'm extra motivated to try and increase my physique. I will have significantly more free time now. Instead of wallowing and feeling depressed and eating like I used to do when i was stressed I want to just turn it into muscle and more weight loss.

I'm not looking to get buff or ripped, but I ultimately want to get cut. I'd like to have defined arms, a visible and fairly defined chest and abdomen as well. I want that awesome ridge thing. So I want to get down to low body fat, and defined yet somewhat lean not buff muscles.

My current plan is to continue to with my basic cardio/workout maybe ramp that up. I'll be home during holiday for the next ten days so I will just follow through on that. Though I'd like to develop a good new system to start for when I get home.

I just really want to use this energy that I have for something positive and get in the best shape of my life.

I'm going to be short on cash for the first month. So joining a gym is out of the question for jan. Since I have to spend my money on getting a new place. I do have some free weights that go up to 40lbs each which I have honestly neglected. I also am thinking about a pull up bar for the door way.

Now I have no expectation on how long this may take. I'm not expecting to look svelte and cut by march or anything. I just want to really kick into gear.

So if anyone has recommendations on how to best start using my free weights. Maybe a few workouts for that.

Also any recommendations for other workouts that an be done at home beyond a pull up bar. I'm considering something similar to T25 or Insanity.

I plan on continuing my current cardio which is 2 miles 4 days a week, and sit-ups and pushups 5 days a week. I think I might even want to ramp up my two miles to 3.

Thanks Fitness GAF. With your help I want to really turn my body around. I am very highly motivated at the moment and the gains I have made confidence wise by just losing those 21 pounds these last 3 months really have me wanting more.

Go back to the last page. My last progress pic is me at 5'10 and 185 pounds. I don't understand buff, ripped, or cut. Tell me what that is and we'll go from there. As Sphinx said, lift heavy, eat well, and get enough sleep. You won't wake up looking like the Rock all of the sudden.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just listened to a great podcast with Robb Wolf and John Kiefer, who is the author of Carb Nite and Carb Back Loading and really knows his shit.

It's an excellent listen for anyone interested in nutrition and fitness. Talks a lot about how the body works, carbohydrates and their effects, carb cyclinc, environmental stress factors, etc.

Highly recommended if you're into nutrition, which you probably are if you're in this thread!

http://robbwolf.com/2013/10/15/episode-204-guest-kiefer/

You say you want to achieve a particular look, the question is if losing weight would be enough to get you there or if you would need to put on lean mass. 185lbs at 5'10" doesn't sound massively overweight to me (don't bother about BMI), if you can find out your bodyfat %, either through measurement or visual estimation, you'd have a clearer idea of what your plan should be. If you don't have much muscle, you may be disappointed with how you look if you just do cardio and light resistance exercises to lose the weight.

For your general health, quality of life and fitness, as well as for putting on a base of lean mass, a beginners strength program is your best bet. There's one in the OP which you could adapt to perform with dumbbells (assuming that what you mean when you say free weights) as an interim measure until you join a gym or get your own equipment. Cut back the cardio back by a couple of times a week to avoid fatigue and perform your bodyweight exercises at the same time as your lifting; your goal should be to make each session of resistance training an easily progress-able full body workout (ie increasing reps, sets or weight). Pushups will be useful if you don't have a bench, pull-ups are always good. I would opt for planks and supermans/lying back extensions for your core over sit-ups, but it's up to you.

This is a log of great advice. Thanks. Maybe when I feel a bit more confident I will post a photo. I feel as if I have a good 20 pounds of fat left too lose, but yeah as thou mentioned I actually don't think I have enough muscle. So I definitely need to start changing that.

I guess I will bring my cardio down to 2 days a week and do the dumbbells and body exercizes on the same days for about 3 days a week. Hopefully with that and the beginner strength program for the first month of jan. So that way when I can get to a gym starting in feb maybe I will have at least balanced and some basic muscles to start with. I'm definitely lacking in the muscle area.

Go back to the last page. My last progress pic is me at 5'10 and 185 pounds. I don't understand buff, ripped, or cut. Tell me what that is and we'll go from there. As Sphinx said, lift heavy, eat well, and get enough sleep. You won't wake up looking like the Rock all of the sudden.

Yeah I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about haha. I suppose that;s why I'm here. I have no expectations as I said though of seeing any changes overnight, let alone even seeing major changes after just a few short months. I'm planning long term, otherwise I probably won't ever stick to it.

Cooter

This is a log of great advice. Thanks. Maybe when I feel a bit more confident I will post a photo. I feel as if I have a good 20 pounds of fat left too lose, but yeah as thou mentioned I actually don't think I have enough muscle. So I definitely need to start changing that.

I guess I will bring my cardio down to 2 days a week and do the dumbbells and body exercizes on the same days for about 3 days a week. Hopefully with that and the beginner strength program for the first month of jan. So that way when I can get to a gym starting in feb maybe I will have at least balanced and some basic muscles to start with. I'm definitely lacking in the muscle area.

Yeah I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about haha. I suppose that;s why I'm here. I have no expectations as I said though of seeing any changes overnight, let alone even seeing major changes after just a few short months. I'm planning long term, otherwise I probably won't ever stick to it.
The first question you need to ask yourself is how far are you willing to push; take chances, fail regularly. The fat you refer to can be gone in 2 months because it is nearly all dependent on your diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can't think of a reason she can't. Was curious if there were any other options since I've found it hard convincing people to do starting strength and actually eat alot. Along with yes eating good fats is actually good for you.

Even without the eating a ton part, starting strength is totally a worthwhile program for beginners. You will make progress. You will stall more without the crazy eating, but you will build a lot of strength and that's really what's important.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Even without the eating a ton part, starting strength is totally a worthwhile program for beginners. You will make progress. You will stall more without the crazy eating, but you will build a lot of strength and that's really what's important.

Well hopefully I can convince her then. I've only successfully convinced 1 person to even try SS and my cousin only went to the gym for like 3 weeks lol. This is with all the plentiful info from the OP too.

The first question you need to ask yourself is how far are you willing to push; take chances, fail regularly. The fat you refer to can be gone in 2 months because it is nearly all dependent on your diet.

I am willing to go as hard as I can, and I'm prepared to fail but not give up. I really want something to just lose myself in.

I want it.

Cooter

I am willing to go as hard as I can, and I'm prepared to fail but not give up. I really want something to just lose myself in.

I want it.
Great! Make a promise to yourself right now. Commit to giving this a solid 6 months. No giving up. If you feel like quitting after 6 months then fine, go ahead!

Do what we suggest and after 6 months I would be very surprised if you decide to give it up.
Focus on your diet until February. Once February begins the hard work will also. Feel free to seek diet advice here. Plenty of knowledgeable people in FitGaf! Welcome.

Great! Make a promise to yourself right now. Commit to giving this a solid 6 months. No giving up. If you feel like quitting after 6 months then fine, go ahead!

Do what we suggest and after 6 months I would be very surprised if you decide to give it up.

I'm in. I'm not looking for a transformation. I want a straight up lifestyle change. I want to be healthy, happy and I want the body I never had. I'm committing to this.

This is something I want to do for myself.

I know it's going to suck, and it will be hard as well. I'm all in though. I am willing to even avatar bet or temp ban bet my account on it haha. I will be making regular stops in here when I begin the actual weight lifting, and I plan on (not just yet) having some pictures to show my progress.

Honestly, I just need this for myself right now.

Cooter

I'm in. I'm not looking for a transformation. I want a straight up lifestyle change. I want to be healthy, happy and I want the body I never had. I'm committing to this.

This is something I want to do for myself.

I know it's going to suck, and it will be hard as well. I'm all in though. I am willing to even avatar bet or temp ban bet my account on it haha. I will be making regular stops in here when I begin the actual weight lifting, and I plan on (not just yet) having some pictures to show my progress.

Honestly, I just need this for myself right now.

Very exciting. Good for you. That is the type of attitude that will spur change. Gym time may even turn into a form of therapy for you like it has for me.

Very exciting. Good for you. That is the type of attitude that will spur change. Gym time may even turn into a form of therapy for you like it has for me.

I hope so. A part of me is sad I can't just jump into the gym right away for financial reasons. Though, I suppose I will miss the rush of all the new years resolution people hitting the gym in the first month.

It will also give me a bit of time to being building a small amount of muscle with the begginer training exercises from the OP.

GAF, I need major help.

I'm a skinny fella. I want to gain size, definition and moderate vascularity. The OP is very insightful, but it is also overwhelming. I want to talk to real people about my personal issues.

I weigh around 135 right now and I'm 5'8".

I know nothing about weightlifting (the only terms I know are reps and sets). There is so much different information out there that I don't know what do. I'm absolutely dumbfounded when it comes to getting started with this, so I figured I would post about it.

I'm the type of guy who needs exact plans. I need to know exactly what to eat, how much to eat, etc. The only rule I have about diet is no meat besides chicken and fish.

I have a weight bench and a few dumb bells at home, and I have access to the YMCA (but am afraid to go due to complete lack of knowledge and physical weakness).

Please help me to create a diet plan and work out plan to achieve the results I want.

Here are pictures of me:
riurvDA.png

WiGHqni.png

Here are pictures of what I want to look like:
Drake-Diced-Pineapples.jpg

drakebrooklyn4.jpg

rWaogbn.png

wedlWjU.png

cS6wR6f.png

As you can see, I want a much larger, more solid physique.

Also, would it be possible for me to get close to that state by August if I started now?

J. Bravo

Actually the opposite will happen. It promotes fat retention, muscle wasting, etc.

fuuu better that than dying i suppose. on the plus side, i'm only taking it for 6 days, and i'm also entering my deload week after squats tomorrow. skipped bench during pr week because fuck bench.

despire

Actually the opposite will happen. It promotes fat retention, muscle wasting, etc.

Uh, holy shit!? How significant is the effect if you inhale it?

I use this stuff every day due to my asthma (for the past five years). Should I be looking out for changing my meds? Could this be a part of the reason why my gains are so fucking slow and my body tends to put on fat even though I eat right and lift hard with a solid program?

If this is even part of the reason then fucking hell..

I don't have any really valueble advice for you, but I'd like to say welcome to the brotherhood! Shame about your relationship not working out for you.

The only thing I can tell you is, I highly recomend you joining a gym when you get that far. You have rational reasons to your priorities. Untill then I'd suggest "warming up" by eating healthy, sleeping well and do low intensity cardio 2~3 approx. a week. You shouldn't worry about your current weight, honestly you'll need that mass once you enter the gym and start lifting - that of course depends on whether you decide to join one. Again I'd personally strongly recomend it.

Sit-ups and push-ups/bodyweight exercises will only get you to a certain point. Weights will increasingly challenge you and you'll feel a greater satisfaction from overcoming sets with heavy weights.

If you want to lose those desired 10 lbs, dieting and weightlifting is the way to go.

EDIT: Btw, here's some music to pump you :p :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

abuC

I been eating like a slob lately but my strength has managed to go up, despite me only going to the gym once or twice a week for the last month.

Zoe

fuuu better that than dying i suppose. on the plus side, i'm only taking it for 6 days, and i'm also entering my deload week after squats tomorrow. skipped bench during pr week because fuck bench.

I'm on a 6 day course too (though just for tendinitis). Got the bloat a day or two ago. Feels bad man :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom