• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

GAF, I need major help.

I'm a skinny fella. I want to gain size, definition and moderate vascularity. The OP is very insightful, but it is also overwhelming. I want to talk to real people about my personal issues.

I weigh around 135 right now and I'm 5'8".

I know nothing about weightlifting (the only terms I know are reps and sets). There is so much different information out there that I don't know what do. I'm absolutely dumbfounded when it comes to getting started with this, so I figured I would post about it.

I'm the type of guy who needs exact plans. I need to know exactly what to eat, how much to eat, etc. The only rule I have about diet is no meat besides chicken and fish.

I have a weight bench and a few dumb bells at home, and I have access to the YMCA (but am afraid to go due to complete lack of knowledge and physical weakness).

Please help me to create a diet plan and work out plan to achieve the results I want.

Here are pictures of me:
riurvDA.png

WiGHqni.png

Here are pictures of what I want to look like:
Drake-Diced-Pineapples.jpg

drakebrooklyn4.jpg

rWaogbn.png

wedlWjU.png

cS6wR6f.png

As you can see, I want a much larger, more solid physique.

Also, would it be possible for me to get close to that state by August if I started now?

None of those guys are big so looking like that by August with hardwork, consistency and eating is definitely possible.

I guess the first step is, outline an average day of eating for us (make sure you're specific as possible. Don't say some chicken and broccoli, try to say 6oz of chicken and a cup of broccoli)

Mik2121

So yesterday I did shoulders/tris and today deadlifts... now I'm really feeling the soreness on my shoulders. Also the deadlifts today... I barely do DL and I didn't try 1RM yet (today was kinda tired after getting done with deadlifts). Do you guys try your 1RM at the end after all the sets, or..?

One thing though, there's only one big barbell on my gym besides the smith machine. This barbell is on a power rack with some safe stops that you can move up and down. Even if I move them all the way to the bottom, they make the barbell float a bit (about 10cm). Is it still ok, or maybe I should try to put the safe stops all the way up and just ignore everything? I will also have to ask my gym if it's ok, since it could cause trouble with the floor (it has some foam layer on top of the ground so it shouldn't, but just in case).

I don't have any really valueble advice for you, but I'd like to say welcome to the brotherhood! Shame about your relationship not working out for you.

The only thing I can tell you is, I highly recomend you joining a gym when you get that far. You have rational reasons to your priorities. Untill then I'd suggest "warming up" by eating healthy, sleeping well and do low intensity cardio 2~3 approx. a week. You shouldn't worry about your current weight, honestly you'll need that mass once you enter the gym and start lifting - that of course depends on whether you decide to join one. Again I'd personally strongly recomend it.

Sit-ups and push-ups/bodyweight exercises will only get you to a certain point. Weights will increasingly challenge you and you'll feel a greater satisfaction from overcoming sets with heavy weights.

If you want to lose those desired 10 lbs, dieting and weightlifting is the way to go.

EDIT: Btw, here's some music to pump you :p :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

Thanks.

Based on the PR rec alone, I can tell you know what youre talking about. Great sound advice.

Curious if anyone had thoughts or reccome dations on my current diet.

This is my average food intake based on my cal tracking app.

48oz of water a day on average.

Morning 2 pieces of bacon
Banana
2 apples

Salad, with light vinagerette dressing. No croutons or cheese. Sometimes chicken.
6-8oz if chicken

8 ounces of chicken or steak.
Some veggie, like salad, broccoli, onions and peppers, tomatos

I'll also usually eat a few peices of fruit throughout the day.

I dont ever drink much of anything besides water. I'm pretty low carb but sometimes i will have say a cup of rice my food instead of salad. I almost never eat pasta or bread anymore. I wasted so many calories on those foods. I'll optionfor a wrap when i want a sandwhich these days.

My local gym chain (BAC) got bought out by LA Fitness. I hope this isn't a negative downturn since they already have all the equipment I need.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, it's not easy. It took me about 2-3 months before being able to do a single one consistently.

<3 Pistol Squats.

the talk about it gives me an excuse to post my gif.

pistolsquat_zpsd843695b.gif

None of those guys are big so looking like that by August with hardwork, consistency and eating is definitely possible.

I guess the first step is, outline an average day of eating for us (make sure you're specific as possible. Don't say some chicken and broccoli, try to say 6oz of chicken and a cup of broccoli)

agreed, like brolic said, that's a pretty average, regular guy. it's easily achievable.

I remember when I just started I wanted to look like a swimmer, then like a boxer, then like a gymnast and now I am approaching a linebacker, lol.

yesterday I saw Mr Olympia 2013 finals with the top 20 on youtube and it was a bit discouraging. I looked at some of my pics and there is soooo much muscle that is not there....I am not wanting to look like those guys but there are plenty of guys next door that are on a completely different level and I wonder If I will ever get there.

Brolic told me already to stop comparing myself and it's not that I envy every single guy that is in the free weight area in my gym but I'd like to know whether I am on the right path trying to attain similar physiques or if I am stuck forever with this body of mine like it looks. Variables to change would be frequency of training, eating behaviour, choice of exercises, routine composition, approach (Str.vsBB).

I should probably stop overcomplicating things and just go there, have fun and train hard giving my all in every session, right?

I don't know. I don't understand how the body works and at what pace does the body change. One thing is sure: it's slow as all hell.

Good thing I train because I like to do it not because of the gains

rokkerkory

GAF, I need major help.

I'm a skinny fella. I want to gain size, definition and moderate vascularity. The OP is very insightful, but it is also overwhelming. I want to talk to real people about my personal issues.

I weigh around 135 right now and I'm 5'8".

I know nothing about weightlifting (the only terms I know are reps and sets). There is so much different information out there that I don't know what do. I'm absolutely dumbfounded when it comes to getting started with this, so I figured I would post about it.

I'm the type of guy who needs exact plans. I need to know exactly what to eat, how much to eat, etc. The only rule I have about diet is no meat besides chicken and fish.

I have a weight bench and a few dumb bells at home, and I have access to the YMCA (but am afraid to go due to complete lack of knowledge and physical weakness).

Please help me to create a diet plan and work out plan to achieve the results I want.

Here are pictures of me:
riurvDA.png

WiGHqni.png

Here are pictures of what I want to look like:
Drake-Diced-Pineapples.jpg

drakebrooklyn4.jpg

rWaogbn.png

wedlWjU.png

cS6wR6f.png

As you can see, I want a much larger, more solid physique.

Also, would it be possible for me to get close to that state by August if I started now?

I think u have decent frame and structure. You need to up food intake and focus on strength training. It might take 1-2 year consistent training and total change but i dont see why u cant do it. Just get in gym and start. Search online and follow some beginner regiment and ull be ok. I was like u when i started about 1.5 years ago too but had a gut and u dont. Remember it starts in ur mind first. Make the commitment and dedicate urself and ull be fine!!

blackflag

Uh, holy shit!? How significant is the effect if you inhale it?

I use this stuff every day due to my asthma (for the past five years). Should I be looking out for changing my meds? Could this be a part of the reason why my gains are so fucking slow and my body tends to put on fat even though I eat right and lift hard with a solid program?

If this is even part of the reason then fucking hell..

I don't know if they all do but I know prednisolone puts fat on you. I think all corticosteroids do but I'm not sure.

rokkerkory

New PR for dumbbell press today, 80lbs!

Went for 2 sets, 6 on first set and somehow got 7 on second. This is half my body weight so I am excited. Need my chest to grow as it is not shapely. I rarely used to do dumbbell for chest but like it a lot now. Doing chest twice a week.

FWIW: 1.5 months ago, my PR was 70lbs and on barbbell bench press I can do 225 for a couple of reps.

I'm glad to hear that it's easily achievable.

My eating is all over the place. I'm more of a snacker rather than a large meal eater. My larger meals come mainly from breakfast and dinner. Below is a rough idea of what I eat.

Breakfasts that I may have on different days:
*3 cups of Cheerios with 2% milk
*A bagel with cream cheese
*2/3 scrambled eggs with two pieces of 12-grain toast

Lunches that I have on different days:
*A tuna sandwich with one small can of tuna, one pickle, a fourth of an onion, a tablespoon of mayo, and garlic/onion powder on 12-grain bread
*An entire box of Kraft mac & cheese
*About half a box of rigatoni and 2 cups of red sauce
*Peanut butter sandwich on 12-grain bread

Dinners that I have on different days:
*An average-size chicken breast with a cup of a frozen vegetable
*Two large plates of chicken casserole (made with fried onions, frozen vegetables, 6/7 cut up chicken breasts, lots of cheese - basically it's very unhealthy)
*A half box of rigatoni with olive oil/salt/pepper

I snack often during the day on things like crackers, tortilla chips, Snyder's pretzels, Triscuits, chips & salsa, granola bars, etc. A lot of processed, unnatural food.

rokkerkory

I'm glad to hear that it's easily achievable.

My eating is all over the place. I'm more of a snacker rather than a large meal eater. My larger meals come mainly from breakfast and dinner. Below is a rough idea of what I eat.

Breakfasts that I may have on different days:
*3 cups of Cheerios with 2% milk
*A bagel with cream cheese
*2/3 scrambled eggs with two pieces of 12-grain toast

Lunches that I have on different days:
*A tuna sandwich with one small can of tuna, one pickle, a fourth of an onion, a tablespoon of mayo, and garlic/onion powder on 12-grain bread
*An entire box of Kraft mac & cheese
*About half a box of rigatoni and 2 cups of red sauce
*Peanut butter sandwich on 12-grain bread

Dinners that I have on different days:
*An average-size chicken breast with a cup of a frozen vegetable
*Two large plates of chicken casserole (made with fried onions, frozen vegetables, 6/7 cut up chicken breasts, lots of cheese - basically it's very unhealthy)
*A half box of rigatoni with olive oil/salt/pepper

I snack often during the day on things like crackers, tortilla chips, Snyder's pretzels, Triscuits, chips & salsa, granola bars, etc. A lot of processed, unnatural food.

I think you need to really switch up your nutrition. It's not too bad but all those bad fats and bad carbs :(

Not enough protein as well imo.

I think you need to really switch up your nutrition. It's not too bad but all those bad fats and bad carbs :(

Not enough protein as well imo.

I really do need to change it, and I'm all for it. I just don't know what I should be eating, especially now that I want to start working out.

rokkerkory

I really do need to change it, and I'm all for it. I just don't know what I should be eating, especially now that I want to start working out.

There's a lot of info online you can research but watch this series to really give you a good idea. It's not rocket science and it's not difficult once you get used to it.

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwghORe-lk

I used to eat whatevers too, not saying I am a pro by any means but nutrition is KEY. Think of your body as a Ferrari, you ain't gonna put 87 octane gas from joe blow gas station in it right?

Focus on lean protein (lots of it), good fats and good carbs. Regulate amount with consistent intake throughout day and you'll be fine. Stay away from sweets, sugary food, and processed foods.

Focus on nutrition even before you focus on workout regiment as it is more important. Otherwise you're counteracting all the work you do in the gym by crappy foods.

damn holiday hours at the gym are killing me. Showed up yesterday at 7:10 and found our they were closing at 8. Tried going 320 on deadlift but I got up to 4 and couldn't pull out another one. I didn't even have time to try and bench like I wanted. Now they are closed all weekend as well. Fucked my weekend up

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of info online you can research but watch this series to really give you a good idea. It's not rocket science and it's not difficult once you get used to it.

I used to eat whatevers too, not saying I am a pro by any means but nutrition is KEY. Think of your body as a Ferrari, you ain't gonna put 87 octane gas from joe blow gas station in it right?

Focus on lean protein (lots of it), good fats and good carbs. Regulate amount with consistent intake throughout day and you'll be fine. Stay away from sweets, sugary food, and processed foods.

Focus on nutrition even before you focus on workout regiment as it is more important. Otherwise you're counteracting all the work you do in the gym by crappy foods.

Yet another anti-dietary fat guy in that YouTube video. Wonder what his reasons are.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

*depending on goal.

Also that dude looks weird. Something is off. And his tiny forearms and neck aren't helping.

I have been off for about a month or so from the gym because of school but that is over now. I am planning to return and have a new routine ready. Should i do some cardio for the first few weeks or minutes before my routine? I didn't eat right during that time either.

SeanR1221

I have been off for about a month or so from the gym because of school but that is over now. I am planning to return and have a new routine ready. Should i do some cardio for the first few weeks or minutes before my routine? I didn't eat right during that time either.

What's your routine and what are your goals?

TopDreg

Accidentally used the 55 lb bar instead of the usual 45 lb at my gym today for doIng squats. Bloodshot eyes and all that. HOOOOOH

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Staying away from weighted pull ups until my shoulder feels better but I did hit some PRs today on other exercises.

One arm DB rows 130sx5 and bent over BB rows 245x5. Felt extra strong today! Always nice.

My local gym chain (BAC) got bought out by LA Fitness. I hope this isn't a negative downturn since they already have all the equipment I need.

Well that didn't take long. Gym isn't even transferred over and tonight I got my first scolding in 3+ years about dropping weights while deadlifting.

In better news, I took an active approach in the bar-slack issue that was brought up a couple of pages ago. It definitely makes the first rep feel much better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah he failed recently and got caught. Serves him right but does that mean he doesn't know a thing or two about nutrition and workout regiment we can learn from?

Sure, but you should always keep in mind that his advice is based off a career of juicing and should never expect remotely similar results unless you are doing it, too. It's just disingenuous of these guys to give advice when they are really withholding what arguably makes up for half or more of their success.

rokkerkory

Sure, but you should always keep in mind that his advice is based off a career of juicing and should never expect remotely similar results unless you are doing it, too. It's just disingenuous of these guys to give advice when they are really withholding what arguably makes up for half or more of their success.

I guess we are saying same thing then because I never said he is holy grail. My original thread was that he has some good pointers on how to eat healthier compared to member 'tsurugi no mai' diet and that there are many ways to eat healthier and this was just a sample.

SeanR1221

3 day split routine

Day 1: chest, shoulders, & triceps.
Day 2: back & biceps.
Day 3: legs & abs.

My goal is to get bigger but not too big.

I meant actually detail your routine, write it out.

If you're goal is to get bigger, no point in doing cardio at all. If you really want to do some conditioning go for a brisk walk or do some hill sprints.

You won't get too big so stop thinking like that.

I meant actually detail your routine, write it out.

If you're goal is to get bigger, no point in doing cardio at all. If you really want to do some conditioning go for a brisk walk or do some hill sprints.

You won't get too big so stop thinking like that.

Day 1: chest, shoulders, & triceps

Incline Bench Press - 3x10
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x10
Side Lateral Raises - 3x10
Face Pulls/Rear Delts Flies - 3x10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3x10
Tricep Push Downs - 3x10
Push Ups - 3x till failure

Day 2: back & biceps

Lat Pull Downs - 3x10
Dead Lifts - 3x10
1 Arm Dumbbell Row - 3x10
Barbell Curls - 3x10
Dumbbell Curls - 3x10
Bodyweight Rows - 3x till failure

Day 3: legs & abs

Barbell Squats - 3x10
Leg Press - 3x10
Leg Extensions - 3x10
Lying Leg Curls - 3x10
Standing Calve Raise - 3x10
Walking Lunges - 3x till failure
Decline Bench Sit ups - 3x till failure
V-Ups - 3x till failure

Question: why are you doing a 3 day split?

It's a routine i chose, is it better for more or something?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think i prefer it to be 3 day split but honestly i am not an expert so i chose this routine from a youtube channel.

Why do you think you'd prefer a 3 day split? Have you tried anything else?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're just getting started, right?

I would recommend reading the OP thoroughly and considering taking a look at Starting Strength. If you really are a beginner and completely untrained, you are doing way too much of the wrong things. Your beginnings should focus on really getting down the important compound lifts: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Presses, and Overhead Presses. A linear strength training routine is probably best, where you are ideally adding a bit of weight each session until you start stalling.

Honestly, at three days a week, you should probably be doing full body every time until you get to a level where you know what you should be tweaking to match your own needs.

Others here will have better advice. I've only been at this for half of a year and I know I'm a beginner. It's really important to realize that and make an effort to educate yourself at every opportunity. Starting with the true basics is a good step, I'd say.

Ultimately, doing just about anything consistently is better than doing nothing, of course, so I'm not trying to hate on your routine as if it's pointless or something.

SeanR1221

I think i prefer it to be 3 day split but honestly i am not an expert so i chose this routine from a youtube channel.

Like Zefah said, stick with the basics for now if you're just starting out. This is especially true since you want to get bigger and stronger. You don't wanna waste time spinning your wheels.

Well i have worked out before just not consistent. I worked out back in 2007/2008 and some months this year. I guess that is still considered beginner? Should i go for the starting strength still then?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah he failed recently and got caught. Serves him right but does that mean he doesn't know a thing or two about nutrition and workout regiment we can learn from?

I don't wanna learn shit from him. He's a freaky looking mofo and not in a good way. Tiny neck, tiny forearms and the dude's on shit? Doin' it wrong breh.

Gimme dat barrel powerlifter look.

Also 385 bench I'll post video later failed at 400 though. Weak off chest. working on deadbench.

If I have a standing desk for work is there a rule of thumb as to how many more calories i'm burning / need to consume for mass?

I wouldn't count that shit as exercise.

Well that didn't take long. Gym isn't even transferred over and tonight I got my first scolding in 3+ years about dropping weights while deadlifting.

In better news, I took an active approach in the bar-slack issue that was brought up a couple of pages ago. It definitely makes the first rep feel much better.

Yep, and so long as you don't let the slack back out it makes the others better too.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
If I have a standing desk for work is there a rule of thumb as to how many more calories i'm burning / need to consume for mass?
There are too many other variables. Best way is to keep an eye on your weight, see if it's increasing/decreasing too fast or too slow or staying steady.

moocow

I think it was Brolic who said it before, but flexing my ass while overhead pressing really helped me keep my back from arching too much.

That was great advice.

Seiz

Neo Member
Day 1: chest, shoulders, & triceps

Incline Bench Press - 3x10
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x10
Side Lateral Raises - 3x10
Face Pulls/Rear Delts Flies - 3x10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3x10
Tricep Push Downs - 3x10
Push Ups - 3x till failure

Day 2: back & biceps

Lat Pull Downs - 3x10
Dead Lifts - 3x10
1 Arm Dumbbell Row - 3x10
Barbell Curls - 3x10
Dumbbell Curls - 3x10
Bodyweight Rows - 3x till failure

Day 3: legs & abs

Barbell Squats - 3x10
Leg Press - 3x10
Leg Extensions - 3x10
Lying Leg Curls - 3x10
Standing Calve Raise - 3x10
Walking Lunges - 3x till failure
Decline Bench Sit ups - 3x till failure
V-Ups - 3x till failure

It's a routine i chose, is it better for more or something?

Your routine looks alright in terms of rep ranges and sets. However, I think if you really want to focus on specific body parts when you enter the gym, I feel you will get the most out of a 5 day split instead of a 3 day split. Something like:
Day1: legs
Day2: Chest
Day3: Back
Day4: rest
Day5: Shoulders
Day6: Arms (biceps/triceps)
Day7: rest

With compound lifts being the staple of your workouts and some isolation stuff to top it off.That way you can properly focus on each body part. I did a split like this in my first year of working out. Again it depends on what your goals are. If you are only concerned with gaining strength then this program makes very little sense for you. If you want to bodybuild or are looking for aesthetics, this 5 day split may be better suited for your needs. Just some advice.

Go_Ly_Dow

Might as well see where my routine could require some maintenance. I'm a fan of SS so tried to incorporate something similar in to it.

Goals - Strength & Size

4 day split - Weds, Thurs & Sat, Sun

Weds - Chest & Biceps

Bench press - 3 sets x 5 reps. Move the weight up the next session if successful
3 X 8-10 reps of either bench drop sets or dumbell press
3 x 8-10 reps incline dumbell press
Barbell curls 25kg > 15kg > 10kg x 2

Thurs - Legs & Shoulders

Squats - 5 sets x 10 reps
Leg press 2 sets x 10
OHP - 3 sets x 5 reps. Move the weight up the next session if successful
Dumbell shoulder press - 3 sets x 8-10 reps
Dumbell front and side raises - 3 x 10-12 reps each

Sat - Triceps

LTE - 3 x 8-10 reps
Dips - 3 x 8-10 reps
Close grip bench - 3 x 8-10 reps
Dips - 2-3 sets til failure

Sun - Back/Full upper body

Deadlifts - 2 light sets - 8 reps (warm up) 2 heavy heavy sets 5-6 reps (tend to move up in weight every few weeks)
Pullups - 3 sets - usually something like 8-9 first set, 6-8 second and 5-7 for third (deads tire me out)
BB row - 5 sets - 3 heavy - 8-10 and 2 drop weight sets 8-12
Pullups - til failure

Sundays workout tends to destroy my body so having a 48 hour rest period between that and the next session works really well.

SeanR1221

Might as well see where my routine could require some maintenance. I'm a fan of SS so tried to incorporate something similar in to it.

Goals - Strength & Size

4 day split - Weds, Thurs & Sat, Sun

Weds - Chest & Biceps

Bench press - 3 sets x 5 reps. Move the weight up the next session if successful
3 X 8-10 reps of either bench drop sets or dumbell press
3 x 8-10 reps incline dumbell press
3 x 8-10 reps chest fly
Barbell curls 25kg > 15kg > 10kg x 2

Thurs - Legs & Shoulders

Squats - 5 sets x 10 reps
Leg press 2 sets x 10
OHP - 3 sets x 5 reps. Move the weight up the next session if successful
Dumbell shoulder press - 3 sets x 8-10 reps
Dumbell front and side raises - 3 x 10-12 reps each

Sat - Triceps

LTE - 3 x 8-10 reps
Dips - 3 x 8-10 reps
Close grip bench - 3 x 8-10 reps
Dips - 2-3 sets til failure

Sun - Back/Full upper body

Deadlifts - 2 light sets - 8 reps (warm up) 2 heavy heavy sets 5-6 reps (tend to move up in weight every few weeks)
Pullups - 3 sets - usually something like 8-9 first set, 6-8 second and 5-7 for third (deads tire me out)
BB row - 5 sets - 3 heavy - 8-10 and 2 drop weight sets 8-12
Pullups - til failure

Sundays workout tends to destroy my body so having a 48 hour rest period between that and the next session works really well.

If you're starting out, a fan of SS and want to put on size and strength, then honestly, just do SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom