• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

285x3 bench, new personal record.

2x Barbacoa bowl and a big old bag of chips & salsa was the only appropriate celebration.

Nice! I also got chipotle (after squatting tonight). Quesarito with double chicken and all the extras and a bag of chips.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
190 solid ass pounds dehydrated after work, same body fat as I was two weeks ago at ~181 dehydrated. Traps overpower big time so I pre-exhausted them for pullups... did some 140+lbs strict db shrugs x10-12followed by x15-20 dead hang pullups, actually felt the lats working for once...

Meal ticket to Swoledom.

Hope I can hit 215lbs again.

^

Delivering as usual.

That broccoli looks perfect.

spootime

The adipower shoes are fucking amazing. I love these things. I've been having issues with my knees slightly buckling above ~335 on squats and after squatting in them today I could hit a 375 triple easy with no knee problems whatsoever. Definitely recommend them for squatting in. Gonna try them on my deadlift day as well but I really like the feel of deadlifting barefoot already.

TopDreg

Ya 1/2 lbs Highliner wild pacific salmon, love that stuff. I thaw it in the fridge then fry it in a pan with margarine/butter and freshly squeezed lemon, tastes like lemon!

Also left over chunks of chicken breasts in rice with sweet n sour sauce.

Impeccable taste good sir.

pic whoring time, weighing in @ 268 lbs.

jcz6Y8x.jpg

also was able to do 3x3 @ 285 lbs for bench

yeah babyyyyyyyyyyy

#onemoremonth #TanahashiModeGO!

show_news_icon1.jpeg

Veelk

Banned
Right, so can someone here help me work out a schedule that will suit my needs? I went to get an evaluation from a trainer today, which I cannot afford long term, so basically all he did is tell me that I have horrible balance and that I need a lot of help....which is probably true as well as a sales pitch he was hoping to land.

Anyway, here are my stats.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 216 lbs
Body Fat Percentage: 24%
BMI: 32
Basal Metabolic Rate: 2774

Okay, so feel I have to do is squats and those kinds of balance exercises. I should probably focus on losing weight and gaining lean muscles before I decide to bulk up, or atleast that's my general idea.

And, of course, nutrition. I'll hope to put myself on a better food schedule.

So can anyone help set me up with what I'm suppose to do?

SeanR1221

Right, so can someone here help me work out a schedule that will suit my needs? I went to get an evaluation from a trainer today, which I cannot afford long term, so basically all he did is tell me that I have horrible balance and that I need a lot of help....which is probably true as well as a sales pitch he was hoping to land.

Okay, so feel I have to do is squats and those kinds of balance exercises. I should probably focus on losing weight and gaining lean muscles before I decide to bulk up, or atleast that's my general idea.

A good start is to read the OP and come back with any questions.

Veelk

Banned
A good start is to read the OP and come back with any questions.

Sorry, just sort of jumped into the thread on instinct. Will do.

Okay, so I see the basic beginners exercise schedule: My question is how much weight do I put on the bench presses and such? Also, I'm available to work out 5 or even 6 days a week, with one day of rest. Should I alter my schedule to do that, or should I just stick to the guideline made in the OP of 3 days a week?

Edit: Also, what can I expect in terms of uh....skin? I have some stretch marks from being fat, which i've made peace with (nothing I can really do about them), but what about having loose skin? Is there a huge risk of that?

Any time you are not at work, school or asleep you should be doing something on your feet. If you work a desk job I can't stress this enough. We're made to be on the move. That's a start. The OP mentions Starting Strength. Do that for as long as you can. There will come a point when you want to add other fancy lifts, but those come only once you can do Starting Strength with your eyes closed.

SeanR1221

Sorry, just sort of jumped into the thread on instinct. Will do.

Okay, so I see the basic beginners exercise schedule: My question is how much weight do I put on the bench presses and such? Also, I'm available to work out 5 or even 6 days a week, with one day of rest. Should I alter my schedule to do that, or should I just stick to the guideline made in the OP of 3 days a week?

Edit: Also, what can I expect in terms of uh....skin? I have some stretch marks from being fat, which i've made peace with (nothing I can really do about them), but what about having loose skin? Is there a huge risk of that?

Start by studying the form of these compound lifts. The OP has you covered there with some good videos.

You can either start with the bar (I did this) or start with the bar, doing 5 reps and keep adding small amounts of weight until you fail. Your last 5 rep max is your starting weight. The important part is to increase the weight of each exercise EVERY session. (5lbs per upper body lift, 10lbs per lower)

Samara

I was your weight and i did get loose skin, but gaf told me to lift heavy, which in my case is 12 pounds dumbells...20 to 40 Max with cables lol. And it worked. Well on my arms and triceps at least. Just dont crash diet. Your body needs to adjust.but it will happen especially your lower abs.

Start by studying the form of these compound lifts. The OP has you covered there with some good videos.

You can either start with the bar (I did this) or start with the bar, doing 5 reps and keep adding small amounts of weight until you fail. Your last 5 rep max is your starting weight. The important part is to increase the weight of each exercise EVERY session. (5lbs per upper body lift, 10lbs per lower)

I'm definitely an advocate of starting with just the bar if it is your first time with the compound lifts.

Also some depressing reminders of what next week is going to be like

Veelk

Banned

Actually, the videos in the OP are dead, atleast for me. :/

Good advice for the bar. Will do that.

Should I work out every day, if I can? Or just follow the schedule with rest days, like it says?

SeanR1221

Dem new years resolutions...

Right...I am gonna have plenty of freetime, so I was hoping to go harder while I could, but I should probably play it safe.

It's going to seem REALLY easy and fast at first. That's totally normal. Enjoy your time getting used to the lifts. It wouldn't be a stretch that you're in and out in 20-30 minutes.

As time goes on and the weight gets heavier, between your warmups and rest time, squats could take 20 minutes alone easily.

spootime

It's going to seem REALLY easy and fast at first. That's totally normal. Enjoy your time getting used to the lifts. It wouldn't be a stretch that you're in and out in 20-30 minutes.

As time goes on and the weight gets heavier, between your warmups and rest time, squats could take 20 minutes alone easily.

Or longer lol. I feel like on 5/3/1 my squats take like 40minutes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Do what Sean did and start with the bar! This is not a race. Don't let your pride screw you.

Starting with the bar will let you make linear gains for longer and focus on getting your form to a good place before you start dealing with actually heavy weights.

Chocobro

190 solid ass pounds dehydrated after work, same body fat as I was two weeks ago at ~181 dehydrated. Traps overpower big time so I pre-exhausted them for pullups... did some 140+lbs strict db shrugs x10-12followed by x15-20 dead hang pullups, actually felt the lats working for once...

Meal ticket to Swoledom.

Hope I can hit 215lbs again.

^
Aw, you spoil me :p
Actually, the videos in the OP are dead, atleast for me. :/

Good advice for the bar. Will do that.

Should I work out every day, if I can? Or just follow the schedule with rest days, like it says?
Maybe my Evernote note will be helpful. Scroll down to the exercise list.
Follow the schedule, you'll need the rest days.

Veelk

Banned

Oh, right, Also, I've been interested in Yoga, to increase my flexibility somehow. Do I have to take classes for this or is there some starter guide for this as well? And cardio? I like the cycling machines and its the one exercise I've been doing semi-routinely because I could put on a show or something and ignore the monotony of it. Where do I fit those in?

Increase the weight every session? Even for squats? I've been doing the routine in the OP for a couple months now but I've been increasing the weight every week, not every workout.

SeanR1221

Or longer lol. I feel like on 5/3/1 my squats take like 40minutes.

Heh, I squatted with my wife tonight. All the deloading and re racking it took almost an hour. At least she hit a new squat PR (150lbs)

Do what Sean did and start with the bar! This is not a race. Don't let your pride screw you.

Starting with the bar will let you make linear gains for longer and focus on getting your form to a good place before you start dealing with actually heavy weights.

Yeah I was a fan of starting with the bar. I was in no rush.

Oh, right, Also, I've been interested in Yoga, to increase my flexibility somehow. Do I have to take classes for this or is there some starter guide for this as well? And cardio? I like the cycling machines and its the one exercise I've been doing semi-routinely because I could put on a show or something and ignore the monotony of it. Where do I fit those in?

Guys have started the program overweight and lost weight on it. If you want to do the cardio for some conditioning, that's fine. If you want to lose weight, I'd say focus on building your strength first IMO.

Increase the weight every session? Even for squats? I've been doing the routine in the OP for a couple months now but I've been increasing the weight every week, not every workout.

Yes! 10lbs lower body (deadlift/squat) and 5lbs upper body (bench/ohp). Every single session.

Zoe

Oh, right, Also, I've been interested in Yoga, to increase my flexibility somehow. Do I have to take classes for this or is there some starter guide for this as well?
Please start with an instructor. You never realize how bad your form is until there's someone to physically push you into the position.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just got to the gym to do OHP and there's a girl on the smith ok whatever right?. Well she had the bar on her crotch while on a bench and it looked like she was humping the bar up.

ILoveBish

Do you follow John Kiefer at all or have you read up on cyclical ketogenic diets?

I've seen some stuff that indicates that, after a while of going without carbs, your skeletal muscle tissue will simply not metabolize ketone bodies, making very long-term sessions of zero-to-low carb diets very poor resistance training/muscle growth.

Just wondering if you've read anything about this or have any thoughts on the matter. What does your diet typically look like, if you don't mind my asking.

edit: I didn't know what SKD/TKD meant until I just looked it up, so I may have misunderstood your post. So, with SKD, you just up general carb intake on the days you exercise and go extremely low-carb on the days you don't?

Kiefer is honestly just reselling the CKD diet as his own carb nite thing. TKD is Targeted Keto Diet, where before or after the gym, you take a calculated amount of carbs. CKD is Cycling Keto Diet, where you have a carb refeed sometime during the week. SKD is Standard Keto Diet, where you are low carb 24/7. The problem with TKD and CKD is you're still relying on carbs. SKD during the time you are not fully adapted, gym is difficult. Your body still isn't fully adapted into not wasting ketones for energy. Usually you can test with the ketostix and see if you're pissing out ketones, if you are, you are not fully adapted yet.

Being fully adapted means your brain has switched 100% to ketones for energy and is efficient to not waste them. If you do stuff like carb refeeds etc, it will take longer and longer to become adapted because at one point, there are those overloads of carbs entering in and the body still thinks its ok to use them. And as i stated, i'm lifting the heaviest i've ever lifted in my life, and i don't eat more then 20g or so of carbs a day.

My typical day is some deep fried chicken drum sticks, dipped in butter and hot sauce. Side of sour cream with greek seasoning for the chicken, and side of crunchy dill pickles. My 2nd meal is usually something like Pizza Casserole, where i take all the pizza toppings i like, cook them up, then throw em in the oven and broil mozz cheese ontop. I also make pre-made food, freeze large amounts of it portion controlled, and eat those at work. Something like this:

http://cavemanketo.com/2012/04/19/mexican-spinach-casserole/

I make about 3-4 weeks worth at one time, portion control it into tupperware, then freeze them. Helps make lunch easy at work.

I also drink coffee with heavy whipping cream and sugar free syrups like Torani or Da Vinci. My fav right now is using banana + raspberry sugar free syrups together, tastes absolutely amazing. Snacks i go with some peanuts and almonds. I keep it very simple. If im in a bind and i need to get fast food, i get lettuce wrapped burgers, or burgers without buns like Bacon McDouble.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Had to lift at 5:30 this morning which meant a whole new crowd of faces I've never seen before. Productive shoulder/tris day considering. These people looked at me like they've never seen a guy OHP before. Always amusing to me.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Also some depressing reminders of what next week is going to be like

Fuck and I was tempted to sign up at one of these local "fitness centers" and get the new years deals since I can't do what I want in my apartment.

I live on the second floor and just putting down 140lbs DBs yesterday was sketchy, I thought the subfloor was going to give out. When doing rack pulls the building comes close to collapsing.

Also fuck this shit it feels like -46c I'm going home, feet frozen and 210,000 btu heater takes 10 mins to thaw my toes.

Szu

Same, not that I'm complaining. The rack gets busy enough as it is!

That reminds me of this one time that I was doing OHP. There are only two good spots at my gym for OHP, the squat rack and the power cage. However, on a certain day, both of them were occupied by quite a few people.

Ironically, the seated should press rack was free. So, I improvised and used it to do OHP. I stood facing the seat. I did have to pay extra attention to my position. If I stepped too far backward, then I might trip over the foot rests.

I think I might have gotten a few looks from people trying to figure out if I'm doing it wrong.

But then, I get the same look when I do OHP squats too.

GabDX

Banned
I don't understand the obsession some people have with flexibility. Why is it so important?

Besides, stretching can decrease your strength (maybe just temporarily) and weakens your joint. You are way more likely to get a knee or shoulder injury if you stretch before exercising.

Zoe

I don't understand the obsession some people have with flexibility. Why is it so important?

Besides, stretching can decrease your strength (maybe just temporarily) and weakens your joint. You are way more likely to get a knee or shoulder injury if you stretch before exercising.
Flexibility had nothing to do with stretching out your muscles. It's about maneuverability.

Szu

I had a leg day yesterday. Now, I checked the forecast for this week in NYC. It's going to be snowing on Thurs and Fri. The temp could dip as low as 5 degrees on Fri.

Normally, I do legs in the middle of the week. If I stuck to that routine, then it would have been a very interesting commute on Thurs and Fri.

sphinx

the piano man

where did you get this? is there a reputable source for these claims or is this the way you convince yourself something is bad because you don't like it?

I've been stretcing before exercising and not even once have I had a problem, if anything stretching legs has helped with my movility on leg days and stretching arms/back prevents me from back injuries doing pull-ups, ohp, deadlift.

maybe we aren't talking about the same thing, I am not stretching to become an acrobat/contortionist in a circus. What I do basically warms up my body.

Zoe

where did you get this? is there a reputable source for these claims or is this the way you convince yourself something is bad because you don't like it?

I've been stretcing before exercising and not even once have I had a problem, if anything stretching legs has helped with my movility on leg days and stretching arms/back prevents me from back injuries doing pull-ups, ohp, deadlift.

maybe we aren't talking about the same thing, I am not stretching to become an acrobat/contortionist in a circus. What I do basically warms up my body.
There actually was a study that said static stretching will reduce your strength potential if done before a workout. We had a thread about it a while ago.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There actually was a study that said static stretching will reduce your strength potential if done before a workout. We had a thread about it a while ago.

The method was also very sketchy and has been debated.

It's akin to saying lifting makes you weak (if you go and Bench for a 1rm then follow it up with 3 sets of 80%) then try to hit the same 1rep max right after you probably won't, or at th last it will be much harder. So you got weaker, right?

That's basically how the stretching issue is presented.

sphinx

the piano man

fair enough.

before lifting weight in any way or form, I spend around 10 minutes stretching legs and lower back. After that, I have to run for 10 minutes, treadmill or outdoors, to warm up my body and get the machine going.

I'd be ridden with injuries if I came from the cold ass streets in Germany, changed clothes in the locker room and went straigth to free weights, the thought of it is just insane.

Maybe I am too old (36) and have to go through all that.

J. Bravo

If I'm cold I just sit in the sauna for a few minutes. Then I warm up with light weights. Never have I stretched, and I probably never will. Even my masseuse said its not helpful.

one of the trainers told me to foam roll in between deadlift sets after I complained about a tight back...when tightness is what you want and I was just being a wimp. But he was serious.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kiefer is honestly just reselling the CKD diet as his own carb nite thing. TKD is Targeted Keto Diet, where before or after the gym, you take a calculated amount of carbs. CKD is Cycling Keto Diet, where you have a carb refeed sometime during the week. SKD is Standard Keto Diet, where you are low carb 24/7. The problem with TKD and CKD is you're still relying on carbs. SKD during the time you are not fully adapted, gym is difficult. Your body still isn't fully adapted into not wasting ketones for energy. Usually you can test with the ketostix and see if you're pissing out ketones, if you are, you are not fully adapted yet.

Being fully adapted means your brain has switched 100% to ketones for energy and is efficient to not waste them. If you do stuff like carb refeeds etc, it will take longer and longer to become adapted because at one point, there are those overloads of carbs entering in and the body still thinks its ok to use them. And as i stated, i'm lifting the heaviest i've ever lifted in my life, and i don't eat more then 20g or so of carbs a day.

My typical day is some deep fried chicken drum sticks, dipped in butter and hot sauce. Side of sour cream with greek seasoning for the chicken, and side of crunchy dill pickles. My 2nd meal is usually something like Pizza Casserole, where i take all the pizza toppings i like, cook them up, then throw em in the oven and broil mozz cheese ontop. I also make pre-made food, freeze large amounts of it portion controlled, and eat those at work. Something like this:

http://cavemanketo.com/2012/04/19/mexican-spinach-casserole/

I make about 3-4 weeks worth at one time, portion control it into tupperware, then freeze them. Helps make lunch easy at work.

I also drink coffee with heavy whipping cream and sugar free syrups like Torani or Da Vinci. My fav right now is using banana + raspberry sugar free syrups together, tastes absolutely amazing. Snacks i go with some peanuts and almonds. I keep it very simple. If im in a bind and i need to get fast food, i get lettuce wrapped burgers, or burgers without buns like Bacon McDouble.

Yeah, Kiefer's Carb Nite is just CKD neatly packaged, but to be fair, he did write it like 8 years ago when there wasn't a ton of material on the subject. He's done a lot more research since then and put out a lot more material that I find rather interesting. I posted this earlier, but he had a really interesting discussion with Robb Wolf a few months ago that's totally worth listening to. http://robbwolf.com/2013/10/15/episode-204-guest-kiefer/

Anyway, so you're only taking in extremely low levels of carbs every day? What's the longest you've gone without having a "refeed" so to speak? You haven't experienced any of the issues commonly associated with long-term zero-to-low carb diets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom