• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
The method was also very sketchy and has been debated.

It's akin to saying lifting makes you weak (if you go and Bench for a 1rm then follow it up with 3 sets of 80%) then try to hit the same 1rep max right after you probably won't, or at th last it will be much harder. So you got weaker, right?

That's basically how the stretching issue is presented.

It's absolute nonsense.

KlokovStretch.jpg

ILoveBish

Yeah, Kiefer's Carb Nite is just CKD neatly packaged, but to be fair, he did write it like 8 years ago when there wasn't a ton of material on the subject. He's done a lot more research since then and put out a lot more material that I find rather interesting. I posted this earlier, but he had a really interesting discussion with Robb Wolf a few months ago that's totally worth listening to. http://robbwolf.com/2013/10/15/episode-204-guest-kiefer/

Anyway, so you're only taking in extremely low levels of carbs every day? What's the longest you've gone without having a "refeed" so to speak? You haven't experienced any of the issues commonly associated with long-term zero-to-low carb diets?

I'll check out the talk. I hardly go above 20g of carbs a day. There might be a day I go to 25 but it's rare. Is been 3+ months now without a carb refeed. I have 0 issues at all. Never had more energy, never been stronger, never felt or looked better. Personally I'd never go back to carbs for energy. But as always, ymmv. What works prefect for me might not for you.

My goal was either size 36 pants or 220lbs. I hit size 36 pants at 274lbs. Since then I stopped counting calories and stopped weighing myself. I just eat when hungry and lift hard. My 36 pants are loose now. I love keto.

spootime

I don't understand the obsession some people have with flexibility. Why is it so important?

Besides, stretching can decrease your strength (maybe just temporarily) and weakens your joint. You are way more likely to get a knee or shoulder injury if you stretch before exercising.

Flexibility is key for squats. Hip and ankle flexibility is mandatory.

I'll check out the talk. I hardly go above 20g of carbs a day. There might be a day I go to 25 but it's rare. Is been 3+ months now without a carb refeed. I have 0 issues at all. Never had more energy, never been stronger, never felt or looked better. Personally I'd never go back to carbs for energy. But as always, ymmv. What works prefect for me might not for you.

My goal was either size 36 pants or 220lbs. I hit size 36 pants at 274lbs. Since then I stopped counting calories and stopped weighing myself. I just eat when hungry and lift hard. My 36 pants are loose now. I love keto.

Do you bulk on keto as well? I couldnt imagine doing that (or cutting on keto for that matter).

Guys, i don't mean to sound harsh or rude but... most if not all of the posters in this thread who are in the pursuit of bulking up, look better in the before pictures... there's more muscle definition and appear more athletic overall, and yes i know there is a "cutting" phase after the "bulking" one is over, but even when comparing the after cutting pictures to the pre-bulking pictures, the latter still look much better to me. But it's not me doing the bulking, so i guess you guys are ok with losing definition and looking kind of chubby if it means more volume?

Again i am not trying to create a stir, it's just something that i have noticed.

spootime

Guys, i don't mean to sound harsh or rude but... most if not all of the posters in this thread who are in the pursuit of bulking up, look better in the before pictures... there's more muscle definition and appear more athletic overall, and yes i know there is a "cutting" phase after the "bulking" one is over, but even when comparing the after cutting pictures to the pre-bulking pictures, the latter still look much better to me. But it's not me doing the bulking, so i guess you guys are ok with losing definition and looking kind of chubby if it means more volume?

Again i am not trying to create a stir, it's just something that i have noticed.

Thats why you bulk in the winter. You can hide the fat in a sweatshirt :).

I see what you're getting at and honestly I think people use bulking as an excuse to loosen their self control and get fat (me included). You still need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle though and with that will come a bit of fat.

Thats why you bulk in the winter. You can hide the fat in a sweatshirt :).

I see what you're getting at and honestly I think people use bulking as an excuse to loosen their self control and get fat (me included). You still need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle though and with that will come a bit of fat.

Yeah i guess, everything is cool though. I just happen to be in the camp that puts more value on muscle definition, and i am not trying to demerit the guys who put all that effort into bulking up, props to them.

sphinx

the piano man

I do understand what you say and will have to agree, sort of.

as you pointed out, is a cycle and what you are seeing from most of us now is exactly the middle point, we are halfway through so I guess we will have to weight (EDIT: lol, wait) until we reach the bulking goal and then move back to a lower bodyfat % to make a fair assesment of the situation.

and let's not forget aestehtics isn't the only motivator here, food gives you strength and if people have strength goals then you are not going to see anything remotely resembling a sixpack, quite simply.

speaking about me, (here is my last before/after, shown some pages back) I don't like that lean appearance at all, I was a pack of bones with a flat torso. While I was happy that I reached the goal of getting rid of a residual flab, that's not a physique I ever want to have again and I have some references regarding what I'd like to become in the future and it would take me some extra years if I insisted on staying under 13 bf% at all times. Sacrifizing strength just for the vanity of having a sixpack (which I have shown already before, it really isn't an interesting goal anymore) and what little muscle I'd attain just so it shows when I wear a tight shirt seems a bit childish, if you ask me.

TL;DR it's hard and it takes time but it has to be done.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You bulk to get bigger muscles and the added fat and loss of definition is only temporary until you bring your body fat percentage back down to where it was pre bulk.

SeanR1221

Plus (like Sphinx said) not everyone cares about aesthetics.

I also have to disagree with you that most if not all looked more athletic before. Everyone looked like a weak skinny fat dude.

TL;DR it's hard and it takes time but it has to be done.

Yes, i agree with what you posted and did read the whole post, just didn't wanna quote all of it, thanks for the reply.

You bulk to get bigger muscles and the added fat and loss of definition is only temporary until you bring your body fat percentage back down to where it was pre bulk.

Yes, i understand this as well, it's just that i've seen pictures of guys pre-bulk, after-bulk, and after-cut and rarely have i seen the definition get back to a similar level as in the pre-bulk pictures, it must be a difficult thing to attain. Again i am not being hateful or trying to demerit all the hard work that is needed.

Plus (like Sphinx said) not everyone cares about aesthetics.

I also have to disagree with you that most if not all looked more athletic before. Everyone looked like a weak skinny fat dude.

Hmm, not to single out anyone but to me... Mr.Oogie looked much better in the pre-bulk pics... granted he hasn't gone into cutting yet, so i'll reserve my judgement on his particular case after he's done with it (if he chooses to share pics of course)

SeanR1221

Yes, i agree with what you posted and did read the whole post, just didn't wanna quote all of it, thanks for the reply.

Yes, i understand this as well, it's just that i've seen pictures of guys pre-bulk, after-bulk, and after-cut and rarely have i seen the definition get back to a similar level as in the pre-bulk pictures, it must be a difficult thing to attain. Again i am not being hateful or trying to demerit all the hard work that is needed.

Hmm, not to single out anyone but to me... Mr.Oogie looked much better in the pre-bulk pics... granted he hasn't gone into cutting yet, so i'll reserve my judgement on his particular case after he's done with it (if he chooses to share pics of course)

His before pic was after a VERY strict cut. That's a different case.

Fuck and I was tempted to sign up at one of these local "fitness centers" and get the new years deals since I can't do what I want in my apartment.

I live on the second floor and just putting down 140lbs DBs yesterday was sketchy, I thought the subfloor was going to give out. When doing rack pulls the building comes close to collapsing.

Also fuck this shit it feels like -46c I'm going home, feet frozen and 210,000 btu heater takes 10 mins to thaw my toes.

I'd be honored if more guys like you signed up at my gym for new years. I love seeing people put up big numbers while I'm resting between sets.

Instead I'll get guys using the curlrack 24/7.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure what really works for me. The journey to finding the perfect diet for the perfect time is probably a never ending one. I'm really open to trying a lot of stuff.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but how have your lifts improved over the 3 months in a constantly low-carb state?

SeanR1221

Well not really... i still stand by that statement. Maybe after Mr.Boogie ends his cut then i'll have to re-evaluate that point...

Boogie looked better post cut. You just said rarely do you see someone match pre bulk.

All of it's pretty moot anyway because people are doing things for their own reason, which probably isn't "impress eddfromtheriver"

moocow

I don't understand why anyone in general gives a fuck about how anyone else looks. From my experience, the guys usually talking shit about how someone looks or lifts like at a gym, could probably benefit from using more of their energy to lift weights than to justify themselves to anyone within earshot.

sphinx

the piano man
His before pic was after a VERY strict cut. That's a different case.

if I remember correctly, Oogie was at some point (not sure if in that pic) at 8% BF.

That's insane,

I am not aware of anyone else in this thread that has had the willpower, discipline and character to go that low.

Besides, if I remember correctly, Oogie's training habits were more bodyweight/calisthenics oriented at the time of that cut. When he started eating, he began focusing on strength goals and devoting more time to main compounds.

It is indeed a very specific case and if anyone will pull it off to go back to the previous BF%, that's him. He'll look spectacular and teach us all a thing or two on the topic of disciplne, Quite frankly, Mr.Oogie is the last guy here I'd call out on his current bulkier appearance.

I can alreadfy tell it will cost tears and frustrationto go back to my 12~13% I had a year ago. I am currently sitting at 17%, if my last test was accurate. Doesn't seem to be too far apart... but it sure is.

and there's plenty of mental shit going on. Eating at a caloric deficit just feels soooo wrong, you know, like those days when you couldn't eat well and you go all annoyed to the gym telling yourself "you are coming here to waste you fucking time, should have eaten properly, prepare to fail at everything"

If you're purely going for aesthetics i think it makes a difference whether you're taking shirtless picks or not. A bit of extra bulk goes a long way to making you look better in clothes imo (suits in particular).

I don't think there is a choice between being big and being toned either btw. You can be just as toned pretty much no matter how much muscle you put on, in fact you can look more toned with more muscle. It's all just about your body fat percentage. The reason most people don't look toned on here is because they want to keep on getting bigger and rarely go for a full on cut.

Edit: Plus being a bit bigger has the advantage of really improving your strength gains. Whilst most people are probably in it for aesthetics gaining a lot of strength along the way is pretty desirable as well.

I'm not speaking on behalf of Boogie.

But I personally believe he's aware of what he's going into, and he can return to his former look if he wants to. Right now his focus just isn't to look pretty, but to get stronger.

Cooter

Stick around until March and take a look at my before and afters.

So last week I went for 215 on the bench and was only able to do 3/3/1. Went In today and did all 3 sets of 5 with minimal struggle. FUCK YEAH! It's not the end of the year goal of 225 I wanted but it's getting close

Cooter

So last week I went for 215 on the bench and was only able to do 3/3/1. Went In today and did all 3 sets of 5 with minimal struggle. FUCK YEAH! It's not the end of the year goal of 225 I wanted but it's getting close
Ummmmm. If you can do 3 sets of 5 at 215 then you can do 225 once without breaking a sweat. Should be cake!

Boogie looked better post cut. You just said rarely do you see someone match pre bulk.

All of it's pretty moot anyway because people are doing things for their own reason, which probably isn't "impress eddfromtheriver"

Dude, i'm not attacking anyone here... i just made an observation (that was stated in my first post)

I'm not speaking on behalf of Boogie.

But I personally believe he's aware of what he's going into, and he can return to his former look if he wants to. Right now his focus just isn't to look pretty, but to get stronger.

That might very well be the case.

Stick around until March and take a look at my before and afters.

I will do that.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just getting caught up with everyone on this page. Surprised to see this discussion.

Dude, i'm not attacking anyone here... i just made an observation (that was stated in my first post)

Hey man, no worries. I totally see where you're coming from, and I appreciate your honesty. Like others mentioned that pre-bulk picture was after a serious two-month cut that absolutely drained me physically and emotionally and left me feeling shitty pretty much every single day. I lost virtually all my sex drive and things like walking sucked. It was my stubborn persistence that somehow kept me focused enough to work out under such conditions. When I cut again it won't be at a measly (and quite frankly dangerous) 1600-1800 calories/day like I did.

And while I looked really defined, most comments I got when wearing clothes was, "Damn man, you've gotten skinny."

Most comments I get from people today is, "Dude, you've gotten way bigger. You've been lifting?" I love hearing that and it really motivates me. But then again, I'm the kind of person who latches onto something and tries to exhaust it for all its worth. I cut as much as feasibly possible, and now I want to get as big and strong as I possibly can, and the only way to do that is by eating a lot. Yeah, that means losing a lot of my athletic physique, but honestly, I have no doubt I can achieve similar bodyfat levels when I cut again sometime down the line.

Is it time-consuming? Yeah, and that's the annoying thing. I'm not done bulking. This is not my final form (lol). I posted a really shitty mid-bulk progress pic. And while I may be legit fat when all is said and done, at least I'll know I can fucking get fat if I ever need to, and that is awesome to me. haha

Need advice Fit-GAF:

I'm 220lbs. Obviously I would like to lose that weight. But I want to gain muscle too. All my weight is in my torso. My arms and legs are relatively small for my size. What is my best option to start with?

I'm thinking about cardio 3x a week, Monday Wednesday, Friday. I live 30 seconds away from the running trail in my city. My availability to doing cardio is easy. Building muscle, I don't know how. I'm thinking about starting out with a light muscle building program Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Simple at first, keep it at home. Any advice it appreciated.

Do you have equipment at home? If not, head to the gym and get very acquainted with a barbell and power rack.

I don't have equipment. That's what I was asking advice on really. Would I be better getting some newb equipment, or just bite the bullet and sign up to a gym?

spootime

Of course but you get that flexibility by... squatting.

Alright? Your original statement just said that you don't get why people care about flexibility.

That being said the answer to all flexibility problems isnt "just do that compound exercise more and the problem will magically disappear." There are lots of accessory exercises like 3rd world squats that help with flexibility and fix a lot of problems in form.

kylej

Banned
Phew, pulling just slays me. I dunno how people do deads or rack pulls then pound out another 12 sets of accessory work. Brutal.

Only saw a few New Years resolution people early this morning. Hopefully they stick with it.

ILoveBish

Do you bulk on keto as well? I couldnt imagine doing that (or cutting on keto for that matter).

You can bulk on keto, but im still losing fat and making gains at the gym. 22 months ago i wore size 48 pants, i might be able to fit into 34 right now. Even if i were to get to a point where i'd bulk, i'd do an extra 300 calories a day at max, not dirty bulk at all. Lots of people who maintain their weight on keto and make gains eat 3000+ calories a day and never gain fat. Its all in how you go about it.

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure what really works for me. The journey to finding the perfect diet for the perfect time is probably a never ending one. I'm really open to trying a lot of stuff.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but how have your lifts improved over the 3 months in a constantly low-carb state?

Ive put 15+lbs on all my upper body lifts and 30+ on my lower body lifts. I do 5/3/1 so i only go up 5lbs on upper body a month, and 10lbs on lower body. The gains train isn't stopping anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom