• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call it a pizza dick, aka cheese and pepperoni Stromboli. Stuffed it way too much with ingredients so it basically exploded out of it's shell. It's probably bulking.

The only Stromboli I've ever had was from a pizza place in the mall. So good though. Share the recipe pleeeeease.

Shoulder pains, wrist pain, elbow pain, and so much more.
Darn you fit-Ghost, it all pretty much started a couple of months ago - up until then I never got pains.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Cut is going pretty well, been hungry as hell though eating only protein, really not sure how to beat that hunger.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about adding DB farmer's walks to my routine for grip and forearm work and also conditioning. Where/how is the best way to fit these in? I'm doing 5/3/1 right now with the periodization bible assistance template.

I call it a pizza dick

Sigmund-Freud-008.jpg

MarkusRJR

So I'm starting to use extra virgin olive oil for cooking now, and I was also recommended coconut oil. I'm just curious though, does it put a bad taste on the food? My dad told me it adds a coconut water taste to it (which I find appalling), but he's never used it before so I dunno if he's just making shit up.

Pete Rock

I swapped the 1/2c (1 stick) melted butter I use for my tomato/sweet pepper sauce to 1/2c coconut oil and I can't even tell any difference, let alone taste any coconut flavor. I'd recommend it as a substitute in every case possible, in my situation that simple switch means this year I will avoid eating 52 sticks of butter. Hooray!

MarkusRJR

I swapped the 1/2c (1 stick) melted butter I use for my tomato/sweet pepper sauce to 1/2c coconut oil and I can't even tell any difference, let alone taste any coconut flavor. I'd recommend it as a substitute in every case possible, in my situation that simple switch means this year I will avoid eating 52 sticks of butter. Hooray!
Thanks for the fast response. Definitely going to pick some up if that's the case. :)

Always go as fast as you can so long as your form and technique isn't affected negatively.

Oh god. Where did you get that? Some crossfit credo? Sigh.

That's silly, broscience. In reality, that would increase momentum, which is not often a good thing (stress on muscles, on joints, and makes you work the muscle less).

Just be comfortable, pay attention to what your body tells you through pain, safe and do your best. Don't worry about speed, one way or the other.

So I'm starting to use extra virgin olive oil for cooking now, and I was also recommended coconut oil. I'm just curious though, does it put a bad taste on the food? My dad told me it adds a coconut water taste to it (which I find appalling), but he's never used it before so I dunno if he's just making shit up.

dont cook with extra virgin olive oil. it has a lower smoke point and will burn easier

use regular olive oil

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So what's more effective for strength? Slow reps or quicker?

Doing the fully controlled motion with ever increasing weight and not cheating. That will inevitably mean slower reps, but I don't think there's any evidence that going slower than necessary results in more strength gains.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god. Where did you get that? Some crossfit credo? Sigh.

That's silly, broscience. In reality, that would increase momentum, which is not often a good thing (stress on muscles, on joints, and makes you work the muscle less).

Just be comfortable, pay attention to what your body tells you through pain, safe and do your best. Don't worry about speed, one way or the other.
His advice is fine when applied to heavy lifting, seeing as the question was about strength. You're not going to get much momentum coming as fast as you can out of the bottom of a 5RM squat, but you're more likely to finish it than you would be if you didn't "worry" about speed, one way or the other. For weightlifting and the "power" lifts (e.g. power-cleans, as opposed to the "powerlifts" of squat, dead and bench), speed is essential.

So I've started going to the gym again after a whole year off, as per FitGAF and other recommendations I'm doing Starting Strength. First thing is, it's incredibly humbling, especially seeing as I've never done squats before... I've always had terrible knees (about 5 patella dislocations over the last decade) and the gym I went to didn't have a squat rack. Putting all that aside though, I want to get stronger, and what better way to do that than focus on the big lifts. So here are my starting weights with the today's workout progression just to make sure I'm increasing the weight appropriately between workouts.
Personal Details: 80kg weight/178cm height

Starting weights (Olympic bar included)
Squats - 45kg
Bench press - 60kg
Deadlifts 65kg
Pull-up reps (7,5,5)

Today I added 10kg to Squats, did overhead press at 20kg, and added 10kg to Deadlifts.

I've ordered some smaller weight plates to take with as well, as the the gym has 2.5kg plates as their smallest. Should I add another 10kg to the squat and deads, or drop that down to 5kg (I'll be able to do 2.5kg increments when my weights arrive next week).

P.s my legs have never been that sore, they are still hurting 4 days later. I love it though. Cheers.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I wish I was able to make myself sleep more. I don't think I get enough of it, I work at 6am and even days off I hate sleeping in because I feel like I'm wasting my free time

Yea I got some sleeping problems, always get 5-6 hours of sleep max, I try to eat more and sleep in on weekends to make up for it.

I’ve always figured out there are 24 hours in a day. You sleep 6 hours and have 18 hours left. I know that some of you out there now will say, "Oh but I sleep 8 hours or 9 hours”, then just sleep faster I would recommend. ~ Arnold

Not gonna lie, I got a haircut and cleaned up things a bit and am rocking a mini Asian ponytail. I feel like a bad ass. This is my version of a beard. It is all I got.

ILoveBish

Hit 2 plates on bench today, finally. Tomorrow is squat day and new PR, excited. I should mention i am cheating since i've been growing a beard the past 2 weeks and my gainz have exploded.

Hit 2 plates on bench today, finally. Tomorrow is squat day and new PR, excited. I should mention i am cheating since i've been growing a beard the past 2 weeks and my gainz have exploded.

That's not cheating, it's just natural progression.

Just finished UD2.0 tension workout. Carb load is commencing with half a box of cereal. This is going to be glorious.

Stannis

Yea I got some sleeping problems, always get 5-6 hours of sleep max, I try to eat more and sleep in on weekends to make up for it.

I’ve always figured out there are 24 hours in a day. You sleep 6 hours and have 18 hours left. I know that some of you out there now will say, "Oh but I sleep 8 hours or 9 hours”, then just sleep faster I would recommend. ~ Arnold

Have you tried taking ZMA? Shit makes me sleep like a baby.

BadTaste

I went and counted how many calories I've consumed today, I've had cereal, half weight gainer shake, lunch and pure orange juice. It added up to 1886 calories (I think..), I still have to eat dinner then the other half of the weight gainer.

I'm having Chicken Curry for dinner (I don't know how many calories that'll give me yet, need to check) then the weight gainer.

The weight gainer in total gives me 1920 calories but I've only had half of it so far, basically by tonight i'll be around 2846 calories + dinner + snacks inbetween.

I'm 180cm tall
Skinny as FUCK (ectomorph)
Primary goal is to gain weight obviously

I'm pretty new to all this, although I did post in a Fitness thread a long time ago about gaining weight, just sharing.

rokkerkory

holy fitness gaf... im getting my ass back into gyming hard starting today after a rediculous 1.5 weeks of slacking, eating inconsistently and barely gyming....

roar

Samara

man the cold is making going to the gym so much harder. its like -30 or something.

I also wanted to buy some protein powder, but.....I saw a Dr Oz episode where he was all like brown rice protein, soy protein....what do I need? In fact do I even need it?

Go_Ly_Dow

I went and counted how many calories I've consumed today, I've had cereal, half weight gainer shake, lunch and pure orange juice. It added up to 1886 calories (I think..), I still have to eat dinner then the other half of the weight gainer.

I'm having Chicken Curry for dinner (I don't know how many calories that'll give me yet, need to check) then the weight gainer.

The weight gainer in total gives me 1920 calories but I've only had half of it so far, basically by tonight i'll be around 2846 calories + dinner + snacks inbetween.

I'm 180cm tall
Skinny as FUCK (ectomorph)
Primary goal is to gain weight obviously

I'm pretty new to all this, although I did post in a Fitness thread a long time ago about gaining weight, just sharing.

what gainer you use?

What the fuck are you guys doing?

These past two pages make me gag.

Bulking-GAF seems to care only about maximizing muscle growth and strength. Even if they are eating 1000 more calories a day than they need to to do so, from what I can tell they are all fat, happy, and strong as fuck.

I saw a Dr Oz episode where he was all like brown rice protein, soy protein....what do I need? In fact do I even need it?

These days I think you really only need protein powder if:

A) You can't get/stomach/afford 1-1.5g/lb lean body mass per day from real food. Gram per gram powder IS cheap.

B) You want to cook with it. An excellent idea.

C) You HAVE to lift literally first thing in the morning. A scoop of whey before you head out the door is much better than going completely fasted.

D) You're a level 5 vegan who can't eat anything that casts a shadow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really need to start doing meal prep stuff, too. I eat out at the exact same place every day at work and usually get the exact same things. It ends up costing me like $8 to $10. I really should start making a week's worth of food and storing it to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom