• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

The alternative is to process your weekly nutritional needs and blend it all up into a big bowl of bachelor slop and weigh out your to-go container a day at a time. Choose wisely.

rokkerkory

I really need to start doing meal prep stuff, too. I eat out at the exact same place every day at work and usually get the exact same things. It ends up costing me like $8 to $10. I really should start making a week's worth of food and storing it to save money.

Hey I used to do that too until I figured some time well spent could save me 50% or more $.

It's just M-F stuff anyways right.

Bulking-GAF seems to care only about maximizing muscle growth and strength. Even if they are eating 1000 more calories a day than they need to to do so, from what I can tell they are all fat, happy, and strong as fuck.

Kane_Daniel_Bryan_WWEHug.gif

Also at the gym today, help spot a guy who did 3 reps @ 565 lbs for bench. He had some sort of sleeve but still. Fucking impressive. He was a former football player. Played for the Rams back in the day.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You know that horrible feeling when you're like, "Fuck, I think I hurt myself really badly doing this" after an exercise?

Yeah. :(

Is it my pizza penis? :(
Hahaha, no, when I do get mine? ;)

Bulking-GAF seems to care only about maximizing muscle growth and strength. Even if they are eating 1000 more calories a day than they need to to do so, from what I can tell they are all fat, happy, and strong as fuck.
Well yeah, this has always been mos of FitGAF, not a lot of aesthetic focused guys around and I think that's great. I was more upset at all the judgmental remarks.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Probably gonna have a pound of ground beef and broccoli later after this 2800 calorie appetizer. Should put me at 5500-6000 cals for the day and I won't even gain a pound...

189lbs after work, this fucking job...

I'm ready to get to be somewhat aesthetic starting in Feb!

I'm middle of the road since I always have abs, my body fat can change drastically in a week depending on work, diet and how often I lift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The main bodybuilder/trainer in my gym can't seem to accept that I don't care to be lean or have abs. He keeps trying to get me to get on his plan and I tell him I'm fine/happy with what I'm doing. I don't care for abs or striations of any sort. That's not to say I'm happy being super fat. But I can handle that just fine. He also wants me to start taking prohormones lol.

Well yeah, this has always been mos of FitGAF, not a lot of aesthetic focused guys around and I think that's great. I was more upset at all the judgmental remarks.

A bunch of randoms came Into thread and shitted it up. Happens from time to time.

Probably gonna have a pound of ground beef and broccoli later after this 2800 calorie appetizer. Should put me at 5500-6000 cals for the day and I won't even gain a pound...

I'm middle of the road since I always have abs, my body fat can change drastically in a week depending on work, diet and how often I lift.

So many jokes crossed my mind regarding this pic.

So many hot dogs! God damn lol.

And I think that's the look I will try to stick with. Middle of the road, have abs, can be more or less depending on diet and workout. Best of both worlds.

A bunch of randoms came Into thread and shitted it up. Happens from time to time.

I didn't get a chance to comment on that but I thought it was a legitimate question. Everyone has their personal preferences. From what I have seen on what an "ideal body" is on the public eye, it isn't for me. They all look too skinny. But that's just my thoughts.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So many hot dogs! God damn lol.

And I think that's the look I will try to stick with. Middle of the road, have abs, can be more or less depending on diet and workout. Best of both worlds.

I didn't get a chance to comment on that but I thought it was a legitimate question. Everyone has their personal preferences. From what I have seen on what an "ideal body" is on the public eye, it isn't for me. They all look too skinny. But that's just my thoughts.

Don't give a shit about "ideal body" I'm about performance and happiness.

what happened!!!?
Dude injures himself every week and a half that's what!

sphinx

the piano man

my mom told me today she thinks I should strive to have David Beckham's body...>_> ....I said, "Mom, that guy is skinny as hell.." she said " Are you out of your mind?? he looks great!"

I realized I've been moving away from the bodytypes society considers aesthetic, I do want to see some definition around Spring/summer 2014 in my body, I've been working out a year, eating and lifting and I want to see the gains so far and shed the fat but I want to get big/muscled too and I want to keep getting stronger.

then a friend who is anti-workout said a burly pianist will look laughable in a frack -_-

you know, whatever, it's not like anything substantial will happen overnight.

SeanR1221

Ah that. I tried my best to stand up for the fitbros.

You know that horrible feeling when you're like, "Fuck, I think I hurt myself really badly doing this" after an exercise?

Yeah. :(

Deadlifts?

SeanR1221

my mom told me today she thinks I should strive to have David Beckham's body...>_> ....I said, "Mom, that guy is skinny as hell.." she said " Are you out of your mind?? he looks great!"

I realized I've been moving away from the bodytypes society considers aesthetic, I do want to see some definition around Spring/summer 2014 in my body, I've been working out a year, eating and lifting and I want to see the gains so far and shed the fat but I want to get big/muscled too and I want to keep getting stronger.

then a friend who is anti-workout said a burly pianist will look laughable in a frack -_-

you know, whatever, it's not like anything substantial will happen overnight.

It's a balance of what makes you happy. If you don't care about aesthetics, go for it. If your SO doesn't care about them either, even better. My wife has commented multiple times she prefers me looking bigger and stronger and feels more "protected".

Farmers walk conditioning starts the end of February anyway. I should have the money for the handles by then. Walking around my neighborhood continuously should work up a nice sweat.

Pete Rock

Well, to be fair, someone who is anti-workout would probably also say a burly "anybody" would look pretty laughable too. So fuck them and their anti-burliness, is basically what I am trying to say.

Samara

These days I think you really only need protein powder if:

A) You can't get/stomach/afford 1-1.5g/lb lean body mass per day from real food. Gram per gram powder IS cheap.

B) You want to cook with it. An excellent idea.

C) You HAVE to lift literally first thing in the morning. A scoop of whey before you head out the door is much better than going completely fasted.

D) You're a level 5 vegan who can't eat anything that casts a shadow.

Well damn, good thing I didnt buy it. Its just that I spent the entire month not consumming milk and was wondering, I'll stick with my chocolate milk.

Szu

tumblr_luoz44fJa71r6aoq4o1_400.gif

sphinx

the piano man
bad day at the gym, failed on my OHP 5x3, I should come better prepared ( EAT and SLEEP) next time.

can you guys believe the floor in and around the only power rack in this shitty gym I am going to is uneven?? how can that possibly happen? people should sue them, it's very, very dangerous.

but the power rack is such a hardcore, exotic piece of equipment that nobody uses it so nobody complains. ;-(

P44

For the millionth time, I'm going to attempt to get into lifting, granted, every time before hand i get too panicky about looking like a complete ass in a gym or even to my friends for, i dunno, "trying" lol. Ended up compromising with myself and timetabled myself to sneak out in the dead of morning to do go lift so my flatmate doesn't catch me.

This time its looking like I wont bottle it hah, just got a few questions and shit and hopefully I can get this thing going.

1) I think I would be classed as a skinny fat, (I'll post a pic probably tommorow just to check with you guys), but basically I'm 5' 9" and weigh (oh god) 9 stone pretty much exactly. I want to effectively lose the gut and the flabby chest, soft everything else, gain strength and size, but shit, I'm petrified of looking fat (for some reason it goes to my chin like, instantly and my chest maybe). What's the best course of action, I've seen bulk proponents, I've seen cut proponents, I've seen a handful of maintenance and lift proponents and nothing seems convincing either way.

2) Eating clean and well on the cheap, I'm a student and would rather minimise costs - besides the fairly obvious, whats a good source of bulk meals I can prepare with a good macro profile (1g protein per lb, .45 fat per lb, rest carbs and whatever else). Also is that macro profile shit or ok, it's what I settled on after reading. Think I'll be following the allpro program.

3) I don't think I can live (alright, its not that dire) without a weekly/fortnightly night out on the town - if i stick to clear spirits with no mixers (no problem for me, so its not really a compromise lol) and resist the post booze binge on shit like fries/chips (or if i am too weak to resist something very protein based) will I dent my progress too much? It will likely be once a fortnight being realistic, but there'll be some weeks where its once a week and others where its nothing. Also read some shit about high amino acid concentration in the blood and alcohol being cause for bad news, but it sounded like fud; just incase, is there any truth to this? Any gaffers on here have a good idea?

Post got big, sorry, but I'd much appreciate it if a gaffer could answer my questions.

Just as an addendum; pictures. I still got a gut, and my jawline is veeeerry soft (though thats not in the pictures), so I don't know, how to play this out really. Can I bulk and not get too fat? I've done tons of reading, but I'm still baffled probably more because I don't want to get fat, lol. It feels like at my weight I should, but looking at myself, it doesnt feel like it.

http://imgur.com/a/wQRW7

SeanR1221

Just as an addendum; pictures. I still got a gut, and my jawline is veeeerry soft (though thats not in the pictures), so I don't know, how to play this out really. Can I bulk and not get too fat? I've done tons of reading, but I'm still baffled probably more because I don't want to get fat, lol. It feels like at my weight I should, but looking at myself, it doesnt feel like it.

Since you're a total noob, stick to a beginner program, stay VERY consistent and keep adding weight to the bar every single lifting session.

For cheap food, can't go wrong with eggs, chicken, rice and dark green frozen vegetables.

Don't sweat cuts, bulks, and going out every once in a while to have fun. You are a beginner, a sperm as far as your lifting life is concerned. You haven't even been ejaculated out of the penis of the lifting gods yet. Eat well. Sleep like a baby and stay consistent on your lifting.

Fitness friends, let's talk about underwear. Have you ever ripped yours while doing squats? I could feel the thread around my thighs snapping today. I'll be discontinuing these boxers shortly (the last actual boxers I own). Now I need to invest in some more boxer briefs.

Imm0rt4l

Nice! I like how that guy looks and then is like I'm getting out of here.
Haha he's one of yhe trainers yhete, pribably thought he might have to intervene.
Beastly, as usual!!!

Friggin hell man. That's insane! congrats!

LOL

impresive!
Thanks guys
Fitness friends, let's talk about underwear. Have you ever ripped yours while doing squats? I could feel the thread around my thighs snapping today. I'll be discontinuing these boxers shortly (the last actual boxers I own). Now I need to invest in some more boxer briefs.
I stay in boxer briefs and compression shorts, never ripped any. When i first started playing rugby and squatting i noticed my legs were stretxhing out my underwear a lot. Had to start buyin them bigger.

Cudder

Just lift and eat, man. If I were you I'd want to acquire mass in general (muscle and some fat)

Cudder

Funny you should bring that up. I've been pretty uncomfortable in boxers for the last little while now. I got some boxer briefs for Christmas and they are so much better. Much more comfortable, and I don't seem to feel them as much as I did with boxers. Not only better for lifting imo, but just all around, in general.

moocow

I've ripped more than one pair from squatting or deadlifting. I think I am moving away from them in general because they suck for running, and they usually bunch around the thighs for squats and deads.

http://instagram.com/p/ir-q6RHTfd/

Randomly decided to record my bench from yesterdays push workout

too ez

Also, I saw that you said push workout. How many times are you doing a push workout? I'm trying to do push/pull/legs twice a week for 6 days total. Curious as to how you are doing it.

boxer briefs > boxers or briefs

I'm really tired today. Sleepy tired. Was gonna head to the gym at lunch but just want to sleep instead. Prolly come home, nap, energize myself, the legs legs legs.

yogloo

Don't sweat cuts, bulks, and going out every once in a while to have fun. You are a beginner, a sperm as far as your lifting life is concerned. You haven't even been ejaculated out of the penis of the lifting gods yet. Eat well. Sleep like a baby and stay consistent on your lifting.
Lol. As a noob I'm glad to hear that.
Obvious solution is not to wear pants and underwear while lifting,

Szu

Boxer briefs > Briefs > Commando > Boxers

Get compression shorts for lifting. I usually buy something like this. I have about 4 pair which is enough to get me through a weeks worth of lifting.

Veelk

Banned
Okay so I started doing the beginners exercises outlined in the OP, and another few questions came up.

When you are suppose to do 3 sets of 5 or whatever, does that mean you do one exercise 5 times, then add weight or something, then another 5 times, and then again for a third time? Or do you do it 5 times, move onto a different exercise, then come back to it 2 more times?

Also, this first time, doing the beginners exercise, I barely broke a sweat. Should I have continued or am I suppose to do this really small exercise for a while?

Cudder

You do 3 sets of 5, the same weight each set. One after the other. It's supposed to start relatively easy when you first start it.

sphinx

the piano man
Get compression shorts for lifting. I usually buy something like this. I have about 4 pair which is enough to get me through a weeks worth of lifting.

I use that for squatting.. but I had to overcome thoughts about showing too much ass, not bragging or anything but my butt is big as it is and when I squat, it looks massive.

I take video every so often to check form and I think "damn..." lol

but it has to be done, all other shorts don't provide the kind of freedom I get from the compression shorts. I never squat wearing anything else.

I don't get it. Then why not just say "Do 15 squats"?

Among other reasons, because if you follow the program, all main compounds will start to kick your ass sooner than later and you will not be able to do 15 reps of anything, other than very low weight warm-up sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom