• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

I don't get it. Then why not just say "Do 15 squats"?

Because 3 set of 5 does not imply 15 squat reps. 1 set of 15 implies 15 squat reps.

3 sets of 5 goes: do 5 reps. Take a break (however long until you're rested, I wouldn't go over 5 minutes). Do 5 reps. Take a break. Do 5 reps.

That 3x5 is all at the same weight. Move that weight up 10 pounds for squats and Deads each session and 5 pounds for overhead press and bench every session.

Make sure you warm up to it. Don't just jump into the weight you're supposed to do that day.

Don't add on more reps. Just stick to the program.

And yes it's easy now. But you'll be squatting 3x a week, adding 30 pounds a week. Get back to me in 9 weeks and tell me it's easy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
http://instagram.com/p/ir-q6RHTfd/

Randomly decided to record my bench from yesterdays push workout

Nice! I like how that guy looks and then is like I'm getting out of here.

That dude was all "I'm gonna save this guy. Then walked away questioning his own masculinity.

Hey, Brolic, when do you do your farmer's walks?
Throw it in on a non-lift day, or a lift day after your big lifts?

Off days. Lighter weight before leg days with longer walks heavier on other days with shorter walks.

This is when I can actually do it. Haven't been able to due to all th god damned snow/ice.

Pete Rock

Briefs + shorts = winning combination!

I only have 4 pairs of each and simply wash them with my workout shirt on quick cycle when I get home, so I don't have drawers full of undergarments anymore. They are truly great for travel because you can just hang them up to air dry in the hotel room, so you don't have half a bag packed full of 3x the amount of inefficient garments. Pretty sure I've had these same sets for over a year now, so they are a great deal overall. The threading on the inside of the silkie waistband has frayed a little bit here and there but other than that they are in original condition. Briefs show no signs of wear other than the waistband elastic crinkling up a little bit, which is irrelevant as soon as you put them on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Briefs + shorts = winning combination!

I only have 4 pairs of each and simply wash them with my workout shirt on quick cycle when I get home, so I don't have drawers full of undergarments anymore. They are truly great for travel because you can just hang them up to air dry in the hotel room, so you don't have half a bag packed full of 3x the amount of inefficient garments. Pretty sure I've had these same sets for over a year now, so they are a great deal overall. The threading on the inside of the silkie waistband has frayed a little bit here and there but other than that they are in original condition. Briefs show no signs of wear other than the waistband elastic crinkling up a little bit, which is irrelevant as soon as you put them on.

Commando is the only way to go. Been that way since my infantry days.

Only exception is when I take my carry pistol out. Then I use boxer briefs to keep the damned holster from abusing my hip.

MjFrancis

Okay so I started doing the beginners exercises outlined in the OP, and another few questions came up.

When you are suppose to do 3 sets of 5 or whatever, does that mean you do one exercise 5 times, then add weight or something, then another 5 times, and then again for a third time? Or do you do it 5 times, move onto a different exercise, then come back to it 2 more times?
Sets and reps become very important as the weight you move increases. As you'll find out, squatting 225lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps to depth will be difficult enough, and necessary given an apparent inability to squat 225lbs for one set of 15 reps.

Also, this first time, doing the beginners exercise, I barely broke a sweat. Should I have continued or am I suppose to do this really small exercise for a while?
Throw the idea of sweat equity out the window. It's a horrible misconception that's given things like P90X credence over Starting Strength because people have this idea that they have to sweat to make progress. Sweat is not indicative of progress in strength training.

So yes, while it will be easy at first, this is a ruse. Beginning strength programs become very difficult once you are pushing your strength potential. And then they ask you to keep pushing.

I look forward to your impressions of the program in the coming weeks.

MjFrancis

Off days. Lighter weight before leg days with longer walks heavier on other days with shorter walks.

This is when I can actually do it. Haven't been able to due to all th god damned snow/ice.
Where did you buy your farmer's walk handles? I want to buy some but all I can find are 25lbs or so handles so far. That's not the swole I'm looking for.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

How do you normally program them? Do you work on increasing your speed over a set distance and weight, or increasing the distance at a set weight and speed? Is it better to do many sets of shorter walks, or a few sets of longer ones?

I basically have no idea whether to go for something like 25 feet x 5 or 10 feet x 10, etc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Where did you buy your farmer's walk handles? I want to buy some but all I can find are 25lbs or so handles so far. That's not the swole I'm looking for.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1113

How do you normally program them? Do you work on increasing your speed over a set distance and weight, or increasing the distance at a set weight and speed? Is it better to do many sets of shorter walks, or a few sets of longer ones?

I basically have no idea whether to go for something like 25 feet x 5 or 10 feet x 10, etc.

It's self limiting IMO. You will know when you're done (that doesn't mean bitch out). As for programming I do it by feel. It's not something I'm going for PRs on. I'm loading up heavy shit to carry to push myself. That's it. Only concern is lighter weight longer distance before squat/DL and heavier everywhere else.

SeanR1221

I believe Brolic has these

I have my eye on these so I can share them with the wife.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1114

Edit: beaten by Brolic himself!

If you guys have a trap bar at your gym you can use that

trap-bar.jpg

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

It's self limiting IMO. You will know when you're done (that doesn't mean bitch out). As for programming I do it by feel. It's not something I'm going for PRs on. I'm loading up heavy shit to carry to push myself. That's it. Only concern is lighter weight longer distance before squat/DL and heavier everywhere else.

That makes sense. Train more to exhaustion/failure like you would any other conditioning work instead of thinking of it in terms of incremental progress like weight training (with PRs, etc). Although obviously up the weight where/when necessary.

Thanks.

If you guys have a trap bar at your gym you can use that

trap-bar.jpg

Those always look like they'd be too constricting for normal strides, but I guess I've never tried it. I feel like I'd be knocking my knees or shins or calves into the front/back all the time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That makes sense. Train more to exhaustion/failure like you would any other conditioning work instead of thinking of it in terms of incremental progress like weight training (with PRs, etc). Although obviously up the weight where/when necessary.

Thanks.

Yep. If I get to trip 5 and my forearms aren't on fire and my lungs aren't about ready to burst I know weight needs to be added.

Also I wouldn't personally go any less than 25- 30 feet.

Right now on heavy days I walk down 2 houses (2 mailboxes) on light days I walk to the stopsign (4 houses).

Those always look like they'd be too constricting for normal strides, but I guess I've never tried it. I feel like I'd be knocking my knees or shins or calves into the front/back all the time.
The bar would be up at your hips. It works.

SeanR1221

Thanks.

It's not ideal but gets the job done. Part of the reason I'd like my own handles. It's just convincing my wife to let me drop the money on them. That's why I'm pushing for the lighter ones. Cheaper and she can do it too!

Yep. If I get to trip 5 and my forearms aren't on fire and my lungs aren't about ready to burst I know weight needs to be added.

Also I wouldn't personally go any less than 25- 30 feet.

Right now on heavy days I walk down 2 houses (2 mailboxes) on light days I walk to the stopsign (4 houses).

I use the trap bar in the classroom at my gym. It's 100 feet in one direction (about. I counted my step, I need to bring a tape measure). It also is nice to go to one end and make a turn, really hits your core. With a plate on each side I can go back and forth no problem (up to like 300 feet). At 2 plates on each side I struggle to make one full rotation.

MjFrancis

Thank you gentlemen, a search didn't immediately come up with the results I wanted so I figured I'd get a response quicker than if I dug through the thread to find it myself.

I like the description for the bigger handles vs. the lighter ones Sean included in his post. If you're buying 82lbs farmer's walk handles, they don't need to sell you on farmer's walk handles. You know what you're getting into.

I use Brolic's distance measurement, too. For me one set is from the back of the garage to the sidewalk and back. I'm precise like that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I feel like I'm going to stall on squats soon. Barely got 1 rep for a 250 lb squat today. Though I guess that's pretty good since I'm about 5'5 and 141 lbs more or less. Also I am Asian so clearly we are good at squats like mentioned earlier lol.

sphinx

the piano man
I was with a friend watching this video of me on a deadlift I made some days ago and we weren't sure if form was right...he said something about my back but we weren't sure...

can someone watch this and say if there's anything to correct here? thanks for any input

Deadlift

the guy in red is a trainer there and he's always checking me, as you can see... I am always happy to get advice from people who know more but he's so fucking arrogant and unfriendly...but good advice is good advice I guess.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
edit: im too slowwww

Veelk: dont forget to add some warmup reps to get you ready for your working sets.

I just started taking warmup reps more seriously and it has made a massive difference for me. I actually get better reps later on, and loosen up immediately.

This cut has been going well, I'm just concerned about where all my protein is coming from. So far it's been mainly- Whey powder, skim milk, Cottage Cheese low fat, tuna, Chicken, and occasionally eggs.

SeanR1221

I was with a friend watching this video of me on a deadlift I made some days ago and we weren't sure if form was right...he said something about my back but we weren't sure...

can someone watch this and say if there's anything to correct here? thanks for any input

Deadlift

the guy in red is a trainer there and he's always checking me, as you can see... I am always happy to get advice from people who know more but he's so fucking arrogant and unfriendly...but good advice is good advice I guess.

Your lower back look like it rounds ever so slightly but everything else looks pretty good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Deadlift

Few things. You need to engage your glutes once you pass your knees. You need to keep your weight on your heels and you need to pull back and up instead of straight up. A few times is looks like you didn't finish the rep by bringing your hips through, but that could be angle. Also your hips shoot up just a tad before the barbell leaves the ground

Main thing though. You're leaning forward and not pulling back.

I'm pushing 200x4 on the bench.

Yay for me but I hate bench presses.

But if you hate something that just means you have to do it more.

J. Bravo

Somehow destroyed ohp today even though I haven't lifted in two weeks, just got done playing ball, am sick, and lacking sleep. Got 145 for 6.

shit day at the gym
went for 325 on dead lift and was only able to pull 2 up, then went 3/3/3 on 150 OHP. Third time failing my OHP so I'll have to drop the weight next time

so much popeyes, it is all delicious

3x3 @ 405 lbs squat, that too was delicious

you mf'ers are all so strong, I just want to keep up. Seeing all the big guys at the gym today.... I don't wanna cut ;_;

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Three days at Disneyland means I'm ending this bulk with a bang! Jesus, I ate a ton and feel like a fat pig right now.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
shit day at the gym
went for 325 on dead lift and was only able to pull 2 up, then went 3/3/3 on 150 OHP. Third time failing my OHP so I'll have to drop the weight next time

From your pics I expected a 250kg deadlift..!

My lifts are absolute garbage right now, my shoulders are so shit even pullups hurt.

I was stronger 7 years ago at 165 than I am now with an extra 30lbs of muscle. FML

sphinx

the piano man
Few things. You need to engage your glutes once you pass your knees. You need to keep your weight on your heels and you need to pull back and up instead of straight up. A few times is looks like you didn't finish the rep by bringing your hips through, but that could be angle. Also your hips shoot up just a tad before the barbell leaves the ground

Main thing though. You're leaning forward and not pulling back.

Brolic thanks for your reply. I'll try to make the necessary changes and if I am unsure, II'll come back and ask again.

just one thing: How exactly do I engage my glutes? I know the word "engage", a synonym would be "activate", right? I just don't know what exactly I should do, tense my glutes?

Deadlift is easily the hardest move to master and understand form me :(

for me it goes like

Squat>>>>>>>OHP>>Bench Press>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Deadlift

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic thanks for your reply. I'll try to make the necessary changes and if I am unsure, II'll come back and ask again.

just one thing: How exactly do I engage my glutes? I know the word "engage", a synonym would be "activate", right? I just don't know what exactly I should do, tense my glutes?

Deadlift is easily the hardest move to master and understand form me :(

for me it goes like

Squat>>>>>>>OHP>>Bench Press>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Deadlift

Think about humping th bar once it passes your knees. Or that someone is about to slap your ass hard as hell. You're basically flexing your ass and this brings the hips forward.

You want to do this instead of using your lower back to complete th movement.

Cudder

Pretty much took the last two weeks off with the exception of a few days. Ready to get back to it on Monday. Will be posting some videos soon as I've been moving up in weight each week and am getting pretty close to maxing my lifts.

Deadlifted in sweat pants for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. I could keep the bar so much closer to my shins on the way up and thighs after the knees. It made the weight feel so much lighter than I was expecting.

J. Bravo

Supposed to dead lift 410 for 5+ today. I think I'm gonna wait until after the chiefs game so I have lots of protein and calories in me beforehand.

At the gym. It is 5/3/1s week for squats. Did all my accessory lifts first because there was a line for the squat rack. Still a line. I am now 3rd in line and hoping to work-in with the couple in front of me. Fuuuuuck.

I hate the first month of every year. I cannot wait for the day I setup my own power rack.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadlifted in sweat pants for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. I could keep the bar so much closer to my shins on the way up and thighs after the knees. It made the weight feel so much lighter than I was expecting.

Yeah, no more deadlifting in shorts for me. It was when I got to around 180 lbs. with the deadlift that pulling the bar up against my shins started doing so damage. When I was finished with a set I noticed I was bleeding and there was blood on the bar. I immediately grabbed some paper towels and hand sanitizer and cleaned the bar, but after that I've also done deadlifts in sweat pants. Now I get by with simple bruises rather than cuts.

At the gym. It is 5/3/1s week for squats. Did all my accessory lifts first because there was a line for the squat rack. Still a line. I am now 3rd in line and hoping to work-in with the couple in front of me. Fuuuuuck.

I hate the first month of every year. I cannot wait for the day I setup my own power rack.

This is why I try to go to the gym in the afternoon or later at night. Just ridiculous when there are tons of people there doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

I do wonder how much it would cost to get a gym-grade power rack and barbell + weights set. It definitely sounds like a sound investment if it's not too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom