• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to go for the Alternate Full Body routine and have several questions that i need clarified.

1. For bench press and press what if i do bench press for one week and then press for the other week and alternate? Is that fine?

2. If i cant do pull ups[maybe one or two in correct form] can i use the assist or should i go for something else?

3. What weight do i start with for each exercise? And also is it always 3 sets of 5 reps or do i increase the reps eventually? Or just the weight?

4. Do i need to increase the weight each workout? If i can't do the increased weight then i just stay with the same weight and try again next time right?

SeanR1221

I am going to go for the Alternate Full Body routine and have several questions that i need clarified.

1. For bench press and press what if i do bench press for one week and then press for the other week and alternate? Is that fine?

2. If i cant do pull ups[maybe one or two in correct form] can i use the assist or should i go for something else?

3. What weight do i start with for each exercise? And also is it always 3 sets of 5 reps or do i increase the reps eventually? Or just the weight?

4. Do i need to increase the weight each workout? If i can't do the increased weight then i just stay with the same weight and try again next time right?

1.) no

2.) use assistance bands and slow negatives

3.) you could start with the bar or a weight that 5 reps feels comfortable. Don't change the rep scheme. Just the weight

4.) yes.

1.) no

2.) use assistance bands and slow negatives

3.) you could start with the bar or a weight that 5 reps feels comfortable. Don't change the rep scheme. Just the weight

4.) yes.

What if i don't have assistance bands but the machine that they have has some kind of pad where i can put my feet on to do pull ups. Is that fine? Also what are slow negatives?

The machine is similar to this

2012-09-24-pullupbefore.jpg

ILoveBish

I just remembered something that annoyed the hell out of me yesterday. I was waiting on a squat rack to open up, both were occupied. I sat and waited and when one was free'd up this stocky looking guy gets to it and tells me he's about to use it. Fine. I wait on the other rack ask to work in with him, but he's about to finish anyways. I look at the guy in the first squat rack and he proceeds to load up the bar with 485 lbs. Me and the 2nd guy look on in amusement. "he's can't squat that". Dude unracks the weight just barely and 'squats' 1/16th range of motion. I scoffed, and we had a little laugh, making me feel a little elitist. Something in me felt like racking up the same weight squatting it ass to grass. But I'm recovering from an injury, and I'd be no better than him in that I would be putting my ego before actually training. Basically what I'm saying is check the hubris at the door. And don't waste a squat rack for some dumb shit, it's a terrible waste of real estate and other peoples time.

First thing I saw at the gym last night at 2am was a guy curling in the squat rack.

I do my curls on the bench press. I understand why people curl with the olympic bars. Feels bad ass.

So in Feb, when I start my cut, I need to decide on a routine and stick with it. I'm thinking 5/3/1 but honestly, I don't want to do it. I might just do a traditional split with an emphasis on bench/dead/squat.

SeanR1221

I do my curls on the bench press. I understand why people curl with the olympic bars. Feels bad ass.

So in Feb, when I start my cut, I need to decide on a routine and stick with it. I'm thinking 5/3/1 but honestly, I don't want to do it. I might just do a traditional split with an emphasis on bench/dead/squat.

What's your cut diet looking like? You're gonna be a ripped up hauss.

Szu

I just remembered something that annoyed the hell out of me yesterday. I was waiting on a squat rack to open up, both were occupied. I sat and waited and when one was free'd up this stocky looking guy gets to it and tells me he's about to use it. Fine. I wait on the other rack ask to work in with him, but he's about to finish anyways. I look at the guy in the first squat rack and he proceeds to load up the bar with 485 lbs. Me and the 2nd guy look on in amusement. "he's can't squat that". Dude unracks the weight just barely and 'squats' 1/16th range of motion. I scoffed, and we had a little laugh, making me feel a little elitist. Something in me felt like racking up the same weight squatting it ass to grass. But I'm recovering from an injury, and I'd be no better than him in that I would be putting my ego before actually training. Basically what I'm saying is check the hubris at the door. And don't waste a squat rack for some dumb shit, it's a terrible waste of real estate and other peoples time.

Squat Fail

What's your cut diet looking like? You're gonna be a ripped up hauss.

No clue yet but I plan to do a bit of a slow cut. From start of Feb to start of July. I want to slowly remove wheat. Try around 3500 calories a day and see what happens from there. Maybe cut down to 245 lbs. That would be 25 lbs.

Guys, please tell me that working out with a budding cold is a bad idea. I know it is, but I was so excited to work out today. I'm on the cusp of making a poor decision.

Guys, please tell me that working out with a budding cold is a bad idea. I know it is, but I was so excited to work out today. I'm on the cusp of making a poor decision.

I've been told something to the effect of, if you're sick from the neck up only, exercise anyway; if you're sick in the body, don't. Aka just a headache or sniffles, go for it. Severe fatigue or a cough or other flu-like symptoms, just deal with not lifting for a day.

blackflag

Yup! I was using lots of coconut oil and frequently eating high fat meats (like steak 3x a week)

I really didn't respond well to it :/

I acknowledge I'm just a weird case all around. If I don't have a thyroid issue, I'll be shocked.

The only time I lost a ton of weight was when I went from no exercise/eating whatever I wanted to tons of cardio and cutting out a lot of sugar and fat. I was eating a lot of things like cereal and sandwiches. Also wasn't tracking anything. I was morbidly obese at that point so it's hard to say what worked.

This is how I lost between 2-4 lbs per week with no cardio 260 to 233. In 2.5 months. There's a specific food choices list and amount that goes with it too. Best program I've ever done.

Chest - Monday 300g day Cal: 2638 Fats: 47 Carbs: 282 Protein: 259
Back - Tuesday 200g day Cal:2534 Fat: 66 Carbs: 196 Protein: 272
Shoulders - Wed 100g day Cal: 2433 Fat: 99 Carbs: 106 Protein: 265
Legs - Thurs 300g day Cal: 2638 Fats: 47 Carbs: 282 Protein: 259
Arms - Fri 100g day Cal: 2433 Fat: 99 Carbs: 106 Protein: 265
Off - Sat 50g day Cal: 2146 Fat: 88 Carbs: 51 Protein: 279
Off - Sun No Carb Day Cal: 2163 Fat: 90 Carbs: 17 Protein: 310

Satch

Banned
what do i need to do to make my neck thicken a lil bit

is it the ohp

i am not here for the skinny neck thing to go with my growing traps. a fucking mess smh

i fucking hate ohp please tell me there are other options

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Uhg. 2 days of digging snow and frozen beard. 15 inches of snow. Most in the STL area.

Once again being big and strong comes in handy. And apparently my conditioning level is just fine.

Chocobro

Ugh, bad fucking day. Looks like I regressed after not going to the gym since December 20 (university gym closed until the 2nd but then the snow storm came and they couldn't open back until today).

3x5x125lb squats were relatively easy last time I did them but they felt heavy as fuck today, 115 felt ok. Same for benching, I am working up from my deload and couldn't finish 3x5x85lb which is extremely disappointing. Not sure if it's from poor sleeping (about 7H every day).

Gonna have to build back up the in the coming days. No breaks so I'll be going to the gym consistently for the next several months, assuming the university doesn't decide to suddenly close. Fuck :(

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
what do i need to do to make my neck thicken a lil bit

is it the ohp

i am not here for the skinny neck thing to go with my growing traps. a fucking mess smh

i fucking hate ohp please tell me there are other options
OHP won't do much directly for your neck. It's a very sensitive area, a good idea is to start light with controlled side to side and nodding movements. Apply resistance by pressing your hands against your head and do lots of reps. After that you can move on to more advanced things like using a neck harness.

rokkerkory

Ugh, bad fucking day. Looks like I regressed after not going to the gym since December 20 (university gym closed until the 2nd but then the snow storm came and they couldn't open back until today).

3x5x125lb squats were relatively easy last time I did them but they felt heavy as fuck today, 115 felt ok. Same for benching, I am working up from my deload and couldn't finish 3x5x85lb which is extremely disappointing. Not sure if it's from poor sleeping (about 7H every day).

Gonna have to build back up the in the coming days. No breaks so I'll be going to the gym consistently for the next several months, assuming the university doesn't decide to suddenly close. Fuck :(

Don't worry about it... after a few weeks off this is normal. You'll get back up in no time.

Chocobro

Don't worry about it... after a few weeks off this is normal. You'll get back up in no time.

Thanks friend. That's how I rationalized it in the end, just didn't think it would be this bad. I'm glad to be back in the gym though!

I forgot to ask something about the alternate full body routine. when they mention bench press does it matter if it's decline or incline?
Yes it matters. Flat bench press, not decline or incline.

J. Bravo

IDS smartgainer chocolate caramel is the best protein powder I've ever had. Mixes well, tastes great with milk or water, and lasts 30 days even with the serving size of two scoops a day. Lots of calories too.

despire

This is how I lost between 2-4 lbs per week with no cardio 260 to 233. In 2.5 months. There's a specific food choices list and amount that goes with it too. Best program I've ever done.

But what's your TDEE? I'd be interested to know how these numbers are calculated. How big of a deficit were you on? Because your intake was still quite high but I guess your maintenance requirements are pretty high as well? At least on lifting days. If someone would like to try something like this, I'd guess he would have to try to figure out the numbers for him/herself first. Also how was your split programmed?

I need to drop around 20lbs before summer and I'm still figuring out the best way to do it..

Maybe I'll just do Lyle's Ultimate Diet 2.0 since I have it figured out already. I have the spreadsheets for the workouts and foods already listed for every day. Anyway it's super easy since Lyle tells you exactly what to do. There's no second guessing and I love it since I tend to think these things too much sometimes. Last time I tried it it got cut short (made 1,5 weeks in but had to stop due to various reasons) but this time I could take it all the way. Seemed to work like a charm though. Never felt so strong in the gym as I felt during the Power Workout after the carb load.

Nothing at the gym makes me more pumped then ohp. Make sure your form is correct. Makes an enormous difference.

A couple of days ago I had the dumbest epiphany. Different bars at my gym have different distances between the knurling. So for lifts where grip position determines how you drive were being drastically different based on what bar I used. I was using the knurling to determine where to position my hands.

SeanR1221

A couple of days ago I had the dumbest epiphany. Different bars at my gym have different distances between the knurling. So for lifts where grip position determines how you drive were being drastically different based on what bar I used. I was using the knurling to determine where to position my hands.

Yeah my gym has two different bars. One is significantly thinner and much better to grip. It's the only bar I use.

Yeah my gym has two different bars. One is significantly thinner and much better to grip. It's the only bar I use.

I gotcha beat - mine has three types: the normal ones, a new silver one that's thicker than the others, and one that's thicker than the others with 4 inches of knurling in the dead center. I think the middle one MIGHT be heavier but it's hard to tell because the thickness screws with my sense of wright. The one with the knurling in the center is definitely at least 50.

despire

How long is UD2.0 suppose to last?

From the book (cycle meaning a week):

From a starting point of 12-15% bodyfat, most readers shouldn't need more than 6-8 weekly cycles to reach their goals. If you need longer, I strongly suggest you take a 2 week break every 6-8 cycles of the diet, eat normally and at maintenance. Then you can return to dieting.

Btw, was there someone here who has run UD 2.0 with a higher BF% than 15%?

SeanR1221

I gotcha beat - mine has three types: the normal ones, a new silver one that's thicker than the others, and one that's thicker than the others with 4 inches of knurling in the dead center. I think the middle one MIGHT be heavier but it's hard to tell because the thickness screws with my sense of wright. The one with the knurling in the center is definitely at least 50.

Hop on the scale holding it and then just weigh yourself.

From the book:

Btw, was there someone here who has run UD 2.0 with a higher BF% than 15%?

Cool. What I think I will try to do is drop down to 15% and then use UD2.0 as a "part 2" of my cut.

More details bro. PM if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom