• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Both of these are great sources for intermittent fasting, though I would also recommend The Eat Stop Eat method as an alternate option. The short of it is that it involves one or two 24-hour fasts per week, and maintenance calories on the days you do eat. You begin fasting after dinner one night and don't eat until the next evening's dinner 24 hours later. This is done on a day you don't train.

I prefer the 8 hour feeding window, but options are welcomed and some may prefer skipping a day's meals instead.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
How low are your calories? What I love best about IF is it allows huge tasty meals in the evening when cutting. Going without during the day is fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there feeling hungry when chill o' clock evening time rolls around.
Between 2000 and 2500. I agree. It also gives you something to look forward to every day.

Noema

Crappy workout. Could only manage 2x3 @ 285lbs on squats. I did my snatch grip Deads after but my lower back feels incredibly tight and pressurized. I think I need to back off heavy squats for a while :/ I don't want to re herniate anything.

Might move to 5/3/1 and start pretty low. Like start my 1s week at 225 or even lower and only add 5 pounds a week.

Another idea is to do light back squats on deadlift day and then move front squats as my main compound on squat day.

Thoughts?

If anything front squats are gonna be harder on your back than back squats since the back is much more vertical, hence greater pressure is placed upon the discs.

Are you squatting low bar or high bar? Why don't you post a form video? Do you wear a belt?

SeanR1221

If anything front squats are gonna be harder on your back than back squats since the back is much more vertical, hence greater pressure is placed upon the discs.

Are you squatting low bar or high bar? Why don't you post a form video? Do you wear a belt?

I'm doing low bar and I use a belt at around 70% of my 1rm...I can definitely post a video of my form next week. Still deciding how low I want my starting weight to be.

Yup. I'm on the cutting bandwagon with you guys now. I'm 270 but a fat 270. Ready to drop 30 lbs and then do a slow bulk throughout summer.

GG bulk. You were fun.

Cooter

Yup. I'm on the cutting bandwagon with you guys now. I'm 270 but a fat 270. Ready to drop 30 lbs and then do a slow bulk throughout summer.

GG bulk. You were fun.

Hell of a bulk FE! We all reach that one moment when you know the bulk is over and nothing is changing your mind. Good luck!

MjFrancis

IMO not worth it posting in those threads. For a similar effect you may as well go bang your head against a wall and save some time.
I've studied nutrition and food for long enough in my life that I guess I have some sort of guilty satisfaction with going into those threads. I try to stay out of it for the most part, but I'll usually step in for a few posts to clear up some general nonsense.
Not worth the effort. People argue in favor of their preconceived diet and exercise notions with religious fervor.
Piecake and Opiate are in the middle of a good discussion in that thread and I'm curious as to Opiate's response to Piecake's last post. He's fighting the good fight, asking Opiate why he is taking certain experts at their word. That's always been the trouble in diet and fitness - finding true expertise and sound conclusions, even with studies in hand. Being a dietician does not necessitate expert opinion.

His last post here, but the discussion starts earlier and may be worth your time reading if you're interested in such a thing.

It's amusing that folk are arguing over what works as a diet and what doesn't. All sorts of diets have 'worked' to varying levels of success, yet people treat those successes as outliers and don't dare venture deeper into the commonalities between all successful diets. If someone can lose weight on any given diet, the specific diet is obviously not the deciding factor governing weight loss. But we hold onto specific diets like our favorite football teams and don't dare look any deeper when shown conflicting evidence. Dieticians and the like are not immune from this, as the ever-changing advice in the field of nutrition has shown.

Hell of a bulk FE! We all reach that one moment when you know the bulk is over and nothing is changing your mind. Good luck!

Yeah, there really is no more point atm. Just putting on more and more fat. I will finish up this week before starting my cut next week. Need to get proper food, plan the diet, etc.

Yup, so I be done.

Both of these are great sources for intermittent fasting, though I would also recommend The Eat Stop Eat method as an alternate option. The short of it is that it involves one or two 24-hour fasts per week, and maintenance calories on the days you do eat. You begin fasting after dinner one night and don't eat until the next evening's dinner 24 hours later. This is done on a day you don't train.

I prefer the 8 hour feeding window, but options are welcomed and some may prefer skipping a day's meals instead.

thanks

Petrie

Banned
2nd day back to modified SS. OHP of 125lbs 3x5 and deadlifts 315lbs 1x5, then seated cable rows 100lbs 3x12. Everything still felt good though my forearms are pretty sore still from Monday, but otherwise feels good. Glad to be back in action and on that IF train as well. Need to lean up a bit. Holidays got me pudgy!

Cooter

Yeah, there really is no more point atm. Just putting on more and more fat. I will finish up this week before starting my cut next week. Need to get proper food, plan the diet, etc.

Yup, so I be done.
I snapped my post bulk pic Monday night after only 8 weeks and it's hard to look at. The mental fortitude you had to keep going so long is awesome!

I snapped my post bulk pic Monday night after only 8 weeks and it's hard to look at. The mental fortitude you had to keep going so long is awesome!

I was hell bent on weighing 265+ lbs and getting a 500+ DL and a 315 lbs bench. Even if it meant sacrificing looks and clothes in the process. I'm glad I did it and glad I got there but it is time to hang up the sweats and gut and time to lean out and try to look sexy again.

#America

Decado

Soooo...are there any exercises I can do to work out chest and/or shoulders with a rotator cuff injury?

I'm hoping this bugger won't completely fuck my workouts.

SeanR1221

I was hell bent on getting weighing 265+ lbs and getting a 500+ DL and a 315 lbs bench. Even if it meant sacrificing looks and clothes in the process. I'm glad I did it and glad I got there but it is time to hang up the sweats and gut and time to lean out and try to look sexy again.

#America

You guys are gonna look so much bigger compared to previous cuts.

Cooter

You guys are gonna look so much bigger compared to previous cuts.
At this point I'm not convinced it will be very noticeable for me. My shoulder kept me from pushing my chest and back. We'll see. I ended up gaining somewhere between 13 and 15 pounds.

FE on the other hand will come out looking like some beastly cousin of his old self!

Cudder

I did 3x5 @ 295lb on squats last night. 295 was my 1RM not too long ago. 3 plates is so close I can taste it.

Next week is 300lbs. Will film my set and post it.

Greetings Fitness-GAF,

You probably get a ton of new people around this time of year for obvious reasons, and I guess I'm one of those.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 182lbs
Goal: 168lbs or a trim 170
Current Training Schedule: DDP Yoga (Please, don't laugh), Football (Soccer, please don't laugh), and 2 mile jog once a week.
Current Training Equipment Available: None, but I do have access to a gym through work
Comments:

15% body fat.
All around the gut.
Most of my muscle mass is in the legs, I have no real upper body, my chest is terrible looking, and probably only enhances the gut I have.

The aim is to physically improve by September, as I sort of made a promise to myself that I couldn't be fat AND bald by the time I was 30 (and I'm starting to get one of those very respectable monk patches..!).

I have a feeling my diet is to blame as I eat a lot of carbs, and very little meat. I have a weakness for biscuits (cookies), I don't drink very much fizzy pop, but I do like a cup of tea/coffee a few times a day.
I tend not to eat after 8pm.

My biggest hurdle is attention span, I tend to get bored exercising, so I guess I need to find something to watch while I hit the treadmill or a good podcast to listen to as I do those weight routines.

I've read over the first few posts in the OT, and they seem helpful. So I'll double read over them and make notes to help form a plan of attack, but thought I'd say 'Hi' as to me this is a post of commitment that I can be called out on if I slack.

Sunflower and FallingEdge recommended I entered Fitness-GAF and seek the advice you guys have, I trust their recommendation as they're good guys and they seem happy with the help they've had.
So here I am.

rokkerkory

You guys are dope, good motivators. \m/

I added a core/cardio day this week (every Wednesday and maybe some Saturdays) going forward from now on to control my gut during bulking. Will do core/cardio days during mid mornings.

Also modified diet a bit to alternate carbs depending on workout. Today was a low carb day as such. Feeling sleepy but will get through it.

BTW I did a PR of 115lbs on OHP for 4 reps yesterday. Not much I know but moving up from 95lbs when I started a couple weeks ago. My lower back started to feel twitchy so decided to stop and foam roll. :D

rokkerkory

Greetings Fitness-GAF,

You probably get a ton of new people around this time of year for obvious reasons, and I guess I'm one of those.

Current Training Schedule: DDP Yoga (Please, don't laugh), Football (Soccer, please don't laugh), and 2 mile jog once a week.
Current Training Equipment Available: None, but I do have access to a gym through work
Comments:

15% body fat.
All around the gut.
Most of my muscle mass is in the legs, I have no real upper body, my chest is terrible looking, and probably only enhances the gut I have.

The aim is to physically improve by September, as I sort of made a promise to myself that I couldn't be fat AND bald by the time I was 30 (and I'm starting to get one of those very respectable monk patches..!).

I have a feeling my diet is to blame as I eat a lot of carbs, and very little meat. I have a weakness for biscuits (cookies), I don't drink very much fizzy pop, but I do like a cup of tea/coffee a few times a day.

My biggest hurdle is attention span, I tend to get bored exercising, so I guess I need to find something to watch while I hit the treadmill or a good podcast to listen to as I do those weight routines.

I've read over the first few posts in the OT, and they seem helpful. So I'll double read over them and make notes to help form a plan of attack, but thought I'd say 'Hi' as to me this is a post of commitment that I can be called out on if I slack.

Sunflower and FallingEdge recommended I entered Fitness-GAF and seek the advice you guys have, I trust their recommendation as they're good guys and they seem happy with the help they've had.
So here I am.

Hi - I am by no means a pro however...

1 - I think your first order of business is to clean up your attitude towards fitness, it's a long term road and you must have the balls to keep pushing through and fight the inner demons along the way. You don't have long attention span? Get over it. This is really the 'secret' = your mindset.

2 - you obviously need to change your nutrition diet. Each of those cookies will only take you further away from your goal not closer. Tea and coffee with no cream and sugar is fine however. It is true, abs are made in the kitchen.

3 - you need to beef up conditioning a bit more. Yoga, soccer, etc is good but you need to revitalize your metabolism. I recommend a month or two worth of HIIT before you hit the big weights. You'll up your metabolism (while losing fat), will be key for gains later on.

I started out the above a little over a year ago and saw really good results. It's commitment and dedication that will get you there. 9 months until Sep will go by FAST so do it today. Gluck!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Greetings Fitness-GAF,

Comments:

15% body fat.
All around the gut.

So here I am.
Well since you're already quite active I'd say the biggest factor in losing weight will be your diet and it seems like you're already aware of what might need changing for that to work. I will say that the sort of strength program outlined in the OP isn't really something I'd recommend listening to a podcast to, lifts like the squat etc require your full concentration whilst performing. You might find that it's more enjoyable than you might be expecting from typical exercise and with your other activities there probably wouldn't be much point to spending much extra time doing stuff like plugging away on a treadmill. Save the podcasts for jogging and get some music in your ears when you're in the gym instead.

J. Bravo

My breakfast today was 8 cookies. Lunch was a jalapeno chicken sandwich from the cafe at my gym. Dinner will probably be McDonalds. My diet sucks. If I cleaned that up and got more sleep, my gains would double.

rage1973

My cut is hitting a plateau at 165 lbs and ~12%.
At least I got 415x1 in the deadlift today.
It's a long road back from a ACL replacement surgery.

rage1973

Greetings Fitness-GAF,

Comments:

15% body fat.
All around the gut.

So here I am.

If you have a gut I doubt you are at 15% bodyfat.
As someone already stated, if your goal is to lose weight, it's best done by working on your diet. It sounds like you have a horrible diet to start and that is the first thing you should work on. Then a good workout routine will add lean muscle to your frame so even if you don't lose weight you will lose bodyfat.

Thanks for the confirmation, I need to change diet and change up the exercise slightly!

If you have a gut I doubt you are at 15% bodyfat.
As someone already stated, if your goal is to lose weight, it's best done by working on your diet. It sounds like you have a horrible diet to start and that is the first thing you should work on. Then a good workout routine will add lean muscle to your frame so even if you don't lose weight you will lose bodyfat.

I assure you I'm at 15% body fat with a 36" waist, I had check over the other day. Granted the equipment they used might have been inaccurate. I didn't have my water % checked, but I'm not sure that's important.
Honestly all my excess weight is around my stomach, it's odd (and horrible).

Cooter

I remember you stating you have a partial torn ACL.
Did you ever get that fixed?
Not partial. It's full blown torn. No I didn't. After I tore it again after the first surgery I said fuck it and just let it be. Time off work and money are the major issues for me regarding having another surgery.

rage1973

Not partial. It's full blown torn. No I didn't. After I tore it again after the first surgery I said fuck it and just let it be. Time off work and money are the major issues for me regarding having another surgery.

That reminds me of a NBA player Dejuan Blair playing without any ACL on one of his knee.
So it doesn't bother you much when you are running and doing squats huh?

moocow

Benched 290 for 1,2,2. I can taste 300 In two weeks away, which is only a stone's throw away from 315. At 165 that would have to be worth half a cooter.

Mully

Looking for advice to stay in shape while recovering from ACL repair surgery. I'm not able to go to the gym for at least two months, but I can begin doing body weight exercises in two weeks. Beyond my body, I have a long and short purple resistance band and a doorway pullup bar. How would plan a routine simply around bodyweight exercises and resistance band exercises?

rage1973

Looking for advice to stay in shape while recovering from ACL repair surgery. I'm not able to go to the gym for at least two months, but I can begin doing body weight exercises in two weeks. Beyond my body, I have a long and short purple resistance band and a doorway pullup bar. How would plan a routine simply around bodyweight exercises and resistance band exercises?

Just take it easy and let your knee rest.
You can always do a full upper body workout until your knee is strong enough. Trust me your body will let you know when it's ready.

OG Kush

Is this done just for cutting? Or can it be done while just training normal/bulking so I can make muscle gains with minimal fat gains?

rage1973

Is this done just for cutting? Or can it be done while just training normal/bulking so I can make muscle gains with minimal fat gains?

They have programs for maintenance and for bulking. You are basically upping the caloric intake and keeping everything the same.

IF is just an eating style, it doesn't prescribe any particular diet. Just something to experiment with and see if it helps you better adhere.

I have taken to just drinking coffee first thing in the morning and having my first proper meal around 10 AM, and my last snack around 10 PM. To someone who slams a glass of OJ and a huge bowl of cereal 5 minutes after waking up that might be "fasting".

TVnvr8F.jpg

J. Bravo

Lol at that picture. So true.

anyways I got chipotle for dinner instead of McDonalds because I have nice friends who don't want me to starve :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom