• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

How easy is it to go from benching using a Smith machine to an Olympic barbell? I've never attempted to bench the proper way before as I've only been training since March and I don't always have a spotter. At the new gym I'll be joining, I won't have a spotter at all.

If your gym has a Power Rack, you won't ever need a spotter.

Also, don't ever use a Smith machine for anything other than hanging your jacket.

sphinx

the piano man
up until now, I had been trying to avoid using the power rack to do bench press, just out of courtesy,

My gym has 4 normal benches and just one power rack. I am pretty sure if anyone starts doing bench press there, people will stare and think "what a douchbag".

effective Jan 14 2014 I will not give a single fuck about it, I'll bring the movable bench right in the middle of the rack and proceed to break those plateaus.

I am sorry, It's just 15-20 minutes and it's extremely urgent now, I haven't plateau'd as hard on any single move, main or asistance, like on bench press,

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
When i say switched i mean i only went from the bar to the working set. The weight for the working set was 65 lb.

You're just untrained. Everything is gonna b sore.

Controlled shrugs are awesome on the Smith, though :[

Snatch grip shrugs are better. Hits the middle traps more than the top traps. I'm banging out 405 for sets of 10 now.

Love me some snatch grip everythang.

rokkerkory

I only switched once after the bar. Also do you take the same rest on the warm ups like you do with the regular weight?

I take little rest on warm up sets... usually do 2-3 sets with at most 20 seconds of rest in between. Also try to move my body during the 'rest' time like mini jacks or hop around.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My body finally had enough of me force-feeding it for months on end. Last night I downed a huge shake just before bed but immediately became nauseous Threw up all the food, and I think it set my body into slight shock because I developed cramps, chills, and a slight fever overnight. Threw up this morning as well. Stomach was killing me because I was starving, though I couldn't entertain the notion of eating because I knew I would throw it up again. It's 4pm and I just had my first snack all day: a banana.

Gonna take it easy for a few days, I think. :p

rage1973

My body finally had enough of me force-feeding it for months on end. Last night I downed a huge shake just before bed but immediately became nauseous Threw up all the food, and I think it set my body into slight shock because I developed cramps, chills, and a slight fever overnight. Threw up this morning as well. Stomach was killing me because I was starving, though I couldn't entertain the notion of eating because I knew I would throw it up again. It's 4pm and I just had my first snack all day: a banana.

It was probably more of what you ate rather than how much you ate.

up until now, I had been trying to avoid using the power rack to do bench press, just out of courtesy,

My gym has 4 normal benches and just one power rack. I am pretty sure if anyone starts doing bench press there, people will stare and think "what a douchbag".

effective Jan 14 2014 I will not give a single fuck about it, I'll bring the movable bench right in the middle of the rack and proceed to break those plateaus.

I am sorry, It's just 15-20 minutes and it's extremely urgent now, I haven't plateau'd as hard on any single move, main or asistance, like on bench press,
Why not just ask for a spot?

Dude, I know this is not the response you're expecting, but your post made me so hungry for some reason. A milkshake sounds so fucking good right now.

Uh... get well soon brother. I'm going to stop on the way home to pick up some supplies for homemade milkshakes.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It was probably more of what you ate rather than how much you ate.

I dunno, I've made this exact same shake plenty of times and never felt nauseous. I honestly think it was just a matter of eating too much, and my body was like, "Nope, not today, get that shit out of here."

sphinx

the piano man
Why not just ask for a spot?

because people are busy and have to get their own workouts done.

and asking for a spot on every set of my damned 5 x 3 (cause no one is going to wait there on the breaks between sets) is annoying as fuck, I have a trouble finding a guy willing to do it as is, let alone 3.

moocow

because people are busy and have to get their own workouts done.

and asking for a spot on every set of my damned 5 x 3 (cause no one is going to wait there on the breaks between sets) is annoying as fuck, I have a trouble finding a guy willing to do it as is, let alone 3.

Why does somebody have to wait on the breaks? I just ask the same person again after they finish whatever it was they were working on before. Granted sometimes it means I have to make my breaks take a bit longer to account for that, but as long as you are polite you will almost all of the time be able to get someone to help you.
Or if you have a packed gym, just ask a different person on your sets.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Amazing how your mind operates. Just said yes to a free slice of pizza and now I'm feeling kind of guilty. Four days ago not one fuck would have been given. Oh well, maybe it will help my OHP tonight!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How does the power rack allow you to not need a spotter? If you're bringing the bar down to your chest, then the side bars of the rack have to be that low, too, right? If you can't lift it, won't you still be trapped?

moocow

How does the power rack allow you to not need a spotter? If you're bringing the bar down to your chest, then the side bars of the rack have to be that low, too, right? If you can't lift it, won't you still be trapped?

The proper way to bench typically has an arched lower back. I do it to where you can probably fit a fist under your lower back. This pushes your chest upwards. ( Some people arch it a great deal more, but I'm not a fan). Ideally your chest without the arch would be below the bar, and with the arch would be above the bar.

Cudder

The proper way to bench typically has an arched lower back. I do it to where you can probably fit a fist under your lower back. This pushes your chest upwards. ( Some people arch it a great deal more, but I'm not a fan). Ideally your chest without the arch would be below the bar, and with the arch would be above the bar.

I don't think you need to have an arch when you bench. I'm pretty sure I have zero arch, and my back is flat on the bench whenever I do bench press. I've been doing it like that since I started and just don't feel comfortable doing it.

was able to do my 325 on deadlift successfully so I'm happy about that. I went for 220 on bench and was able to go 5/3/3 which was a lot better than the 3/2/0 I did last time. I think I'll be able to knock it out next time. Being able to use a power rack to bench and not having to worry about a spotter is the best.

Irobot82

I would also mention that with bench it should be easier to dump the weights more safely than say a squat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting. I don't think I push arch that much, but I should probably record myself sometime. It does look totally possible, though, which is cool!

I would also mention that with bench it should be easier to dump the weights more safely than say a squat.

Yeah, in the couple of times I've failed a rep, I've easily been able to slowly lower the bar and slant it to let the weights slide off. I'm not lifting anything heavy yet, though.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
My lower back has been a bit inflamed recently, and it always bothers me as I'm setting the bar back down on deadlifts (but strangely not at all on the way up). Would I lose much out of the exercise if I just drop the bar from the lockout position? I'll be using bumper plates in this case.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I need advice for a friend. He is a big guy (250+, don't know his exact weight) and looking to lose weight. He wants to do cardio and a low cal diet. And wants to eliminate a meal (most likely dinner). Is this a good idea to eliminate a meal? He was also looking for a good meal replacement substitute.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cooter

I need advice for a friend. He is a big guy (250+, don't know his exact weight) and looking to lose weight. He wants to do cardio and a low cal diet. And wants to eliminate a meal (most likely dinner). Is this a good idea to eliminate a meal? He was also looking for a good meal replacement substitute.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Eliminate breakfast. Lift weights. Eat 2500-3000 calories. Mostly protein and fats. Get Thors' body.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As Cooter said, breakfast would be the best meal to eliminate to maximize body fat mobilization to be used as energy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I should have stated he isn't looking to get buff or whatever, just looking to lose weigh.

Is he looking to lose weight or body fat?

Putting on muscle will help him lose body fat.

By all means, though, if he is set on the popular dogma of calorie restriction and cardio, let him give it a try. He'll most likely be miserable. He should probably know that losing weight through that method and keeping it off permanently is just about statistically impossible.

Cooter

I should have stated he isn't looking to get buff or whatever, just looking to lose weigh.

My bad. Yeah, skip the weights. After a few months he probably won't even be able to wipe his ass because of all his new buffness!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is he looking to lose weight or body fat?

Putting on muscle will help him lose body fat.

From what he told me, losing weight. I could ask him to double check. I was a bit high was my weigh count on him (230ish). He is looking to lose 20-30 pounds. He doesn't have an interest in lifting weights.

Edit:
By all means, though, if he is set on the popular dogma of calorie restriction and cardio, let him give it a try. He'll most likely be miserable. He should probably know that losing weight through that method and keeping it off permanently is just about statistically impossible.

Yeah, I have been trying to talk him into hitting the gym/weight lifting, but like I said he isn't interested. If he is going down that route, I want to make sure he is at least doing the best possible way.

Zoe

I dunno, trying to lose weight and gain strength at the same time is very frustrating. If he drops his intake to lose weight, the weightlifting won't amount to much. If he keeps his current intake or ups it, losing that fat is going to take a loooooooong time.

moocow

Yeah, in the couple of times I've failed a rep, I've easily been able to slowly lower the bar and slant it to let the weights slide off. I'm not lifting anything heavy yet, though.

I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's an easy way to get injured, and if you have to drop it when you get to a really heavy weight its even worse.

Last time I got overconfident and failed at 245 on the last rep of a 3x5 I had to awkwardly ask someone to help me lift it off my chest. That will always be infinitely more embarrassing than asking someone to spot you beforehand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have been trying to talk him into hitting the gym/weight lifting, but like I said he isn't interested. If he is going down that route, I want to make sure he is at least doing the best possible way.

It's weight loss through starvation. There is no good way. His thinking is just completely wrong, but he may need to just face bitter failure to learn. He'll probably just end up feeling overwhelmed, determine that losing weight is impossible, and end up getting fatter than before like most people, though.

I wish him luck, but there's not much hope for someone who is determined at setting themselves up for failure.

I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's an easy way to get injured, and if you have to drop it when you get to a really heavy weight its even worse.

Last time I got overconfident and failed at 245 on the last rep of a 3x5 I had to awkwardly ask someone to help me lift it off my chest. That will always be infinitely more embarrassing than asking someone to spot you beforehand.

Yeah, I'm only lifting around 135, so it seems safe right now. I don't imagine I'll feel so comfortable when (if) I get above 200 lbs.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I dunno, trying to lose weight and gain strength at the same time is very frustrating. If he drops his intake to lose weight, the weightlifting won't amount to much. If he keeps his current intake or ups it, losing that fat is going to take a loooooooong time.

The thing too is, he doesn't mind being a big guy. He just wants to lose those 20-30 pounds and eat healthier.

Should he be having those lean protein shakes?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm... I don't think this is necessary true. An untrained overweight individual can very easily do both, I'd say. Sure, you shouldn't be expecting crazy gains on the weights, but they will certainly help with fat loss and body re-composition as long as you have some patience.

The thing too is, he doesn't mind being a big guy. He just wants to lose those 20-30 pounds and eat healthier.

Should he be having those lean protein shakes?

What lean protein shakes? He shouldn't be looking for meal replacements if he just wants to eat healthily. How about cooking some real food with whole ingredients first? He may as well not even start if his plan is to stick with packaged processed food and do calorie restriction.

Anyone have any exercises and/or stretches they find particularly effective for golfer's elbow? That's the form of tendinitis that hits on the forearm at the inside of the elbow. It just keeps getting worse and I have no idea where it came from or why.

J. Bravo

Anyone have any exercises and/or stretches they find particularly effective for golfer's elbow? That's the form of tendinitis that hits on the forearm at the inside of the elbow. It just keeps getting worse and I have no idea where it came from or why.

the only thing for tendonitis is rest

edit: ice and nsaids help too

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
My conditioning is through the roof right now. Been hauling thousands of pounds worth of 25lbs insulation bags up three stories all month in sub-arctic temps. Calories this week have been around 6.5k to maintain 190lbs dehydrated...

Finishing off a 600g cheese cake and litre of chocolate milk for dessert, 2k+ cals, and before bed I'll have a 500g tub of strawberry greek yogourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom