• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Third day into my cut and despite my body still adjusting to IF I got 375x4 tonight for squats. I'm going to call that a success!

Crappy Bench day. On my heavy set my spotter touched the bar on each rep.

Then on a lighter set I misloaded the bar with a 2.5lb plate on one side when it should have been a 5lb. During the set I was thinking "damn, I knew my right arm was weaker, but not this much weaker".

Crappy Bench day. On my heavy set my spotter touched the bar on each rep.

Then on a lighter set I misloaded the bar with a 2.5lb plate on one side when it should have been a 5lb. During the set I was thinking "damn, I knew my right arm was weaker, but not this much weaker".

Yeah I've misloaded the bar a few times, I always feel dumb afterwards

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Anyone here get surgery for gynecomastia? Experiences with getting back into weightlifting afterwards?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Feeling good about progress the last couple of days. Finally officially joined the 1 plate club with my bench press. I know it's nothing impressive, but I've been looking forward to it since I started lifting last summer. Had no troubles doing 3 x 5 at 135 lbs. I was feeling good so I tried another set at 140 lbs. and manage to get in four good presses.

I did deadlifts today with my work set at 220 lbs. x 5 and was feeling good afterward, so I tried it at 225 lbs. and managed to do another 3 without too much trouble. Cool feeling doing my first lift with 2 plates.

Also managed to move up to 100 lbs. with the overhead press, but just one set of 5 at the end of my session a couple of days ago. I'm hoping I can pull off 3 x 5 at that weight next time.

I'm still at around 190 lbs. for my squats, so I hope to be able to get them over 200 lbs. sooner than later.

Anyway, still newbie numbers, but I'm feeling feeling really good with the gains I've made recently. My progress has been slow, but steady, for sure.

Zoe

Ugh, finally lifting again after two months, got a good PT session loosening up my feet, and then.... food poisoning.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Tweak to my deadlift form is finally coming to fruition. Pulled 520 for an easy triple today.

Can you share the specific adjustment?

Btw, what do you guys recommend for farmer's walks between plates, dumbbells, and kettlebells?

I did 3x5 @ 295lb on squats last night. 295 was my 1RM not too long ago. 3 plates is so close I can taste it.

Next week is 300lbs. Will film my set and post it.

Fuck, I'm so jealous. I was at 290 just prior to getting the flu. God only knows what I'll be at when I return to the gym.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Everything I already went down with you. Mostly simply pulling the slack out of the bar properly.

I use handle for FWs.

Gotcha.

I'll be employing everything we talked about tomorrow. Is it weird I go to bed dreaming about my lifts the next day?

So i finally did a deload on a few of my lifts. I dropped it back a little more than the recommended 10% (i really want to make sure i get my form down). It's amazing how easy some of these lifts are. Less than a month ago i really struggled to make these weights.

Many people seem to complain about having gyno these days. Now I'm not talking about the him but it would be interesting to know how many really have gyno and how many are just too fat and think they have.

I bet it's the same ratio of as really fat people who actually have a diagnosed thyroid condition but don't lose weight because they DGAF, and those who just think they do.

How easy is it to go from benching using a Smith machine to an Olympic barbell? I've never attempted to bench the proper way before as I've only been training since March and I don't always have a spotter. At the new gym I'll be joining, I won't have a spotter at all.

despire

How easy is it to go from benching using a Smith machine to an Olympic barbell? I've never attempted to bench the proper way before as I've only been training since March and I don't always have a spotter. At the new gym I'll be joining, I won't have a spotter at all.

Most people don't have access to a (good) spotter. You just need to know when to call it quits and don't attempt to lift weight/reps you can't handle.

Zoe

Don't forget the smith bar weighs less.

If your gym has moveable benches, you can do it in the power rack with the safety bars.

Shadybiz

Most people don't have access to a (good) spotter. You just need to know when to call it quits and don't attempt to lift weight/reps you can't handle.

Agreed, you'll soon get a feel for whether or not you can get one more rep in, Mark. What you can do on the Smith is likely a good amount more than you can do on the regular bench (at least that's my experience), so just start low and go up from there; you'll hit the sweet spot soon enough.

SeanR1221

Many people seem to complain about having gyno these days. Now I'm not talking about the him but it would be interesting to know how many really have gyno and how many are just too fat and think they have.

Yeah chances are it's fat. When this was brought up before I mentioned you need to feel a lump under your moob (actual breast tissue) and it should be sensitive.

ILoveBish

Deload week for 5/3/1 this week, went all in with my accessories and kicked ass. Got sets of reps doing dips and also started doing reverse pull ups just go help in that area, although it feels insanely awkward and looks silly. I can do 3-4 decent pull ups before my grip gives out, then next set 2-3, then next one 2 max. One of the morning guys came up to me this morning and told me to put my thumb with the rest of my fingers over the bar instead of around it and that really helped.

My legs are pretty great muscle wise, other then my inner thighs. What can i do to get more muscle in that area? Right now my leg workouts are deadlift, squat and calf raises, seems like plenty to me since my legs are very muscular but the inner thigh isn't developed at all in comparison to the rest of the leg.

Alright, following almost a month of no training due to vacation, shoulder issues, etc, I'm finally getting back on track.

Intermittent fasting time, and calorie deficit (-20% minus, 1800 calories) on rest days with calorie surplus (+20%, 2700 calories) on training days.

I'm hyped to get back into cooking. Just read about brine chicken. How did I not know about this before? Time to get things going. Also, what were the sites that had the recipes for bodybuilding meals? http://dhftns.com/ was one of them but what were the other two?

Being poor, sucks. I'm so glad it was taking Amazon a long time to ship my ON whey, because I just looked at my bank account, and if I was charged for ON, I wouldn't have much money left to hold me over until I get paid next Friday.

I was already cutting back to one scoop a day. Now I'm going to lose 50g of protein a day, which means I'm going to get weaker and possibly lose a little muscle.

Well, maybe with the extra $53 I can buy food that'll be cheaper and last longer. =\

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Being poor, sucks. I'm so glad it was taking Amazon a long time to ship my ON whey, because I just looked at my bank account, and if I was charged for ON, I wouldn't have much money left to hold me over until I get paid next Friday.

I was already cutting back to one scoop a day. Now I'm going to lose 50g of protein a day, which means I'm going to get weaker and possibly lose a little muscle.

Well, maybe with the extra $53 I can buy food that'll be cheaper and last longer. =

Tuna, cottage cheese, and eggs. Eat em' up!

Eggs and cottage cheese breaks me out. Tuna, possibly, but for some odd reason, it builds up flem in my throat, and it's especially worse at night when I'm trying to sleep and hacking up flem.

I'm going to start eating sweet potato with my chicken breast every day for lunch. I may also add some avocados, too, everyday for the the extra calories.

What about sardines? Anyone eat them?

I already eat pecans and sunflowerseeds everyday, too.

Irobot82

I'm going to start eating sweet potato with my chicken breast every day for lunch. I may also add some avocados, too, everyday for the the extra calories.

What about sardines? Anyone eat them?

I already eat pecans and sunflowerseeds everyday, too.

I eat kippered herring. I don't care for sardines. Excellent fat and protein and cheap!

Deload week for 5/3/1 this week, went all in with my accessories and kicked ass. Got sets of reps doing dips and also started doing reverse pull ups just go help in that area, although it feels insanely awkward and looks silly. I can do 3-4 decent pull ups before my grip gives out, then next set 2-3, then next one 2 max. One of the morning guys came up to me this morning and told me to put my thumb with the rest of my fingers over the bar instead of around it and that really helped.

My legs are pretty great muscle wise, other then my inner thighs. What can i do to get more muscle in that area? Right now my leg workouts are deadlift, squat and calf raises, seems like plenty to me since my legs are very muscular but the inner thigh isn't developed at all in comparison to the rest of the leg.

That pullup progression across sets mirrors my experience. Each set my # of reps goes down by 2-3. I'm surprised that hook grip on pull ups is helping you. I'd expect that type of grip to put more stress on the fingers rather than less.

rokkerkory

The only way to know is to try! It'll take some getting used to in beginning because it's mostly psychological at first.

It aint gonna be easy. Not only will the weight be heavier than the smith, but your core and stabilizer muscles will be off the wall trying to balance the bar.

So i did the following yesterday

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press/Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5

I noticed my elbows are sore,is that normal? Or did i possibly do the bench press wrong?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gotcha.

I'll be employing everything we talked about tomorrow. Is it weird I go to bed dreaming about my lifts the next day?

Nope it may actually help you lift.

Yeah I see that a lot too.

If you're taking a true deload you shouldn't be going "all in" on anything. Also I don't think most people here need deloads and I was guilty of it on 5/3/1 too. I'm also no longer a fan of 5/3/1 if you're looking to get stronger. It's a great program to lift, move weight and be healthy, but I spun my wheels for a full year on that program.

I've had it since I was 17, maybe earlier (roughly half my life). Probably just puberty. It's a mild-to-moderate case of it. I'm getting the surgery tomorrow afternoon.

Well that sucks. I can't imagine it hindering your lifting once you heal up.

blackflag

Very small amount really have gyno. They'd had to dun goofed with gear, got it at puberty, or be one of the other unlucky few.

rokkerkory

i think so. Since this was my first day for practical programming i did 3 sets with the bar only before adding weights.

What weight did you go up to? Depending on ending weight you might need to progressively load your warm ups too.

For instance with BB press, I generally warm up with 1 25 plate (each side), then 1 45 plate (each side). Reps are ~15 and ~12 respectively before I do my working sets.

If my body is still not warmed up, I do an extra set and/or a set of push-ups. Idea is to really get blood/oxygen in those muscles your working on and also loosen up your joints.

What weight did you go up to? Depending on ending weight you might need to progressively load your warm ups too.

For instance with BB press, I generally warm up with 1 25 plate (each side), then 1 45 plate (each side). Reps are ~15 and ~12 respectively before I do my working sets.

If my body is still not warmed up, I do an extra set and/or a set of push-ups. Idea is to really get blood/oxygen in those muscles your working on and also loosen up your joints.

I only switched once after the bar. Also do you take the same rest on the warm ups like you do with the regular weight?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Weight lifting paid off already! Just removed the tub from the upstairs bathroom, we're redoing the whole thing. Deadlifts used, saves my back and got a nice leg workout :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom