• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Got sick last Friday...some are saying H1N1 is going around here. Not sure what it was but tonsils got huge, hurt to swallow, felt like shit, lost about 5-6 pounds. Have a cough now but worked out for the first time since last Thursday:

A week ago I benched 215 5x5x3

This week 215 4x3x2 :(

sphinx

the piano man
good shoulder day today,

broke the 105 lbs, 5x3 OHP record. it took a while but it's there now.

thing is, it doesn't feel easy, should I go for the next increment or be a pussy and stay there? lol I know my Fit-GAF bros' answer already.

.. but I'd need to be extremely stict with the food next time If I went for it...

(EDIT: wrong OHP weight)

SeanR1221

225x5 two times on bench a bit ago. Fuck yes. Plateaus be damned! We're all gonna make it brahs

Nice!

good shoulder day today,

broke the 155 lbs, 5x3 OHP record. it took a while but it's there now.

thing is, it doesn't feel easy, should I go for the next increment or be a pussy and stay there? lol I know my Fit-GAF bros' answer already.

.. but I'd need to be extremely stict with the food next time If I went for it...

Woah that's huge. Don't you weigh around 155lbs? You're pressing your own body weight

sphinx

the piano man
Woah that's huge. Don't you weigh around 155lbs? You're pressing your own body weight

no, wait....fuck, sorry... it's 105 lbs.....my bad, thanks for pointing it out.

sorry, sorry, still a way to go for 1xBW

EDIT: hey ohhthegore down here, sorry, I messed up the number, I am not near that number :(

Noema

I need advice for a friend. He is a big guy (250+, don't know his exact weight) and looking to lose weight. He wants to do cardio and a low cal diet. And wants to eliminate a meal (most likely dinner). Is this a good idea to eliminate a meal? He was also looking for a good meal replacement substitute.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

He needs to lift weights and lower his carbs. He needs to get strong. Make him understand that it is in his best interest to get as strong as possible, as strength is the number one indicator of health.

Cardio and a low calorie diet will just make him weak and skinny fat. And he'll rebound before he knows it and end up fatter than before. I've seen it happen countless times.

J. Bravo

it's more like 2 weeks but i really hate benching with a passion. i suck at it. i mean, my numbers are ok for a 180lb dude that's been lifting consistently since mid april (last check 2rm of 225), but i just hate. benching. so. much.

i'm probably going to start only training lower body + OHP for strength and focus more on size for everything else. because fuck benching.
I stopped working out for 3 months and am not sure what else could have caused it. It didn't get any better and in fact seems to keep getting worse, and now I'm getting it in my other arm too.

maybe you should put it in a sling for a few days. stop using it completely and see what happens. using the computer probably doesn't help.

sphinx

the piano man
it's more like 2 weeks but i really hate benching with a passion. i suck at it, but i just hate. benching. so. much.

that makes two of us, with the difference I don't have a decent 2rm,

I am pretty mediocre at benching, my BP used to be more or less on par with my squat and OHP but somehow the squat exploded and OHP is at least moving, as seen today. BP = failure, I hate it.

I started late deadlifting so I son't know where it will stand, haven't stalled there yet.

moocow

it's more like 2 weeks but i really hate benching with a passion. i suck at it. i mean, my numbers are ok for a 180lb dude that's been lifting consistently since mid april (last check 2rm of 225), but i just hate. benching. so. much.

i'm probably going to start only training lower body + OHP for strength and focus more on size for everything else. because fuck benching.

Have you considered replacing it with dumbbell bench? There was a point a while back where I wasn't a fan of barbell bench, so I stuck to dumbbell benchpress. It's still really solid.

mt1200

Joined gym last saturday Gaf.

There is a very good looking TVactress in my country that used to tweet about her cardio workouts, she used to burn more than 1000 calories.

How can you achieve such results?, yesterday I did 558 using both treadmill and elliptical machine, and I ended up very tired, it would take me years before I can burn over 1000 calories.

Joined gym last saturday Gaf.

There is a very good looking TVactress in my country that used to tweet about her cardio workouts, she used to burn more than 1000 calories.

How can you achieve such results?, yesterday I did 558 using both treadmill and elliptical machine, and I ended up very tired, it would take me years before I can burn over 1000 calories.

I have no idea how you could burn 1,000 per cardio session in a reasonable amount of time. I'd highly recommend you consider adding weight training to your routine and cut back on excessively long cardio. Generally-speaking, weight training won't burn a ton of calories during your training session, but the long-term benefits of building muscle mass will increase the amount of calories you burn even while you're at rest.

If your gym has a Power Rack, you won't ever need a spotter.

Also, don't ever use a Smith machine for anything other than hanging your jacket.

I'm not entirely sure why the Smith gets a bad rep. Although my chest and tri's are still weak as fuck, I got some good gains on them - I started in March at 40kg and now I'm up to 60kg to 65kg on a good day before Christmas.

despire

He needs to lift weights and lower his carbs. He needs to get strong. Make him understand that it is in his best interest to get as strong as possible, as strength is the number one indicator of health.

Cardio and a low calorie diet will just make him weak and skinny fat. And he'll rebound before he knows it and end up fatter than before. I've seen it happen countless times.

Yeah, combining a low calorie diet with lots cardio will just burn off more muscle instead of fat. Then he rebounds with less muscle mass than before, making him fatter and unhealthier even at the same bodyweight he is now. Losing muscle mass like that is seriously unhealthy.

Petrie

Banned
I'm not entirely sure why the Smith gets a bad rep. Although my chest and tri's are still weak as fuck, I got some good gains on them - I started in March at 40kg and now I'm up to 60kg to 65kg on a good day before Christmas.

Because you're not actually up to those weights since you aren't really lifting the weight, given that a smith machine is doing a large part of the work. Also, you're only helping your chest and tri's stay "weak as fuck" by using a smith machine.

SeanR1221

You have a bro science avatar. Why don't you watch Dom's video about the Smith Machine.

Shadybiz

just a heads up, the videos on op dont work anymore.some of them.

Yeah, I saw that the other day when I tried to send a friend the deadlift video. Does anyone happen to have these saved so they can upload them, or is that a copyright thing?

Because you're not actually up to those weights since you aren't really lifting the weight, given that a smith machine is doing a large part of the work. Also, you're only helping your chest and tri's stay "weak as fuck" by using a smith machine.

Agree with this. I used a Smith for awhile for OHP, before moving to a regular bar. ....I learned very quickly that at that point in time, I couldn't ACTUALLY press 135 lbs.

Zoe

Hmm... I don't think this is necessary true. An untrained overweight individual can very easily do both, I'd say. Sure, you shouldn't be expecting crazy gains on the weights, but they will certainly help with fat loss and body re-composition as long as you have some patience.

Well you started with just dieting and body weight exercises. Do you regret that now?

As I embark on my final weekend as a fat man, I take a look back at the past 4.5 months and have to appreciate the journey from where I started to where I am now. I hit multiple PRs in my bench, squat, and deadlift. Hit an all time high in weight and just overall size in my chest, arms, legs, neck, etc. But now, I am ready to start my cut and drop 25 lbs or so. Fit into these jeans again and have some sort of resemblance of abs and cheeks. What I find funny is even though I'm as big as I ever had, all the comments about my size and how wide I am and how I look like I play football... I don't feel it. I don't feel it at all and I'm sure it will always be like that. It is okay cause I will forever be chasing that pump and enjoy every step of the way there.

Power up baby!

Oh man, intermittent fasting is actually pretty alright.
Get plenty of energy to workout on my training day from the massive meals I have in the evening on my rest day, and it feels great to just refuel your body after a session.
Meal 1 down, I'll see you later tonight meal 2.

I haven't really felt any hunger, and have been struggling to eat on my calorie surplus days.

stupid

Oh god.

Speaking of which, saw two dudes use a loaded barbell as some sort of ab-wheeler.
I tried my best to ignore it.

something like this?

Barbell-Rollout-A%26B.jpg

If it is, I don't see anything wrong with it.

day 5 on cut, going great so far. I feel all the bloat from the shitty eating I did over the holidays pretty much gone.

I put together a recumbent bike last night to work in a little extra SS cardio (hopefully get some game time in on it too)

Now the hardest part is coming up, the weekend. My buddy is doing a pub crawl for his birthday so I'll just do my best there I guess.

rokkerkory

Carb load day for me too! Aligns with heavy leg day!!! WOOOT WOOOT WOOOT!!!

Back seems to be 90% there so hopefully i can really push on legs today. \m/

MjFrancis

The utility of a barbell and plates never ceases to amaze me. The ab wheel is probably one of the best television-advertised fitness products available. The movement is difficult as hell and thus earns it's place gathering dust in the corner in most households. At least it takes up less space than a Bowflex.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well you started with just dieting and body weight exercises. Do you regret that now?

I don't know if regret is the right word, but if I knew what I know now back then, I certainly would have started lifting way earlier.

good shoulder day today,

broke the 105 lbs, 5x3 OHP record. it took a while but it's there now.

(EDIT: wrong OHP weight)

Won't hurt to try upping the weight a bit. You'll quickly know if you can handle it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with staying at the same weight for multiple sessions. That weight should get easier as you keep at it, and eventually, you'll be able to move up. At least that's how it's been for me the last couple of months.

I actually expected the heel on her shoe to snap off and the weight to come crushing down on her, but hey, that was a surprise after all. Total idiots.

If i am still sore but it is gym day should i still go? Is it safe?

If the soreness is the usual delayed onset muscle soreness then there is basically no additional risk for injury. If it is soreness as in you threw your back out, well then yeah, you should rest. I'm guessing you're just talking about general soreness though, in which case you shouldn't worry. Personally, I find the soreness goes away once I get a few set or two into my workout.

I actually expected the heel on her shoe to snap off and the weight to come crushing down on her, but hey, that was a surprise after all. Total idiots.

If the soreness is the usual delayed onset muscle soreness then there is basically no additional risk for injury. If it is soreness as in you threw your back out, well then yeah, you should rest. I'm guessing you're just talking about general soreness though, in which case you shouldn't worry. Personally, I find the soreness goes away once I get a few set or two into my workout.

thanks

rokkerkory

Hey guys: What brand of BCAAs do you guys take? Either powder or pill form is ok.

I will need to up my energy sources especially when I will start cutting in a month or so.

A friend recommended Modern BCAA

So, what's on the menu? I still have a desire for a gigantic milkshake for some reason.

Haha, I said CARB load not FAT load although I kicked it off with (low-fat) ice cream sandwiches and chicken curry w/rice so I'm not entirely innocent either.

So far today: bagels, cinnamon Generic-O's, about half a pound of elbow noodles, and corn niblets. Still got a good 100 grams or so left to hit so maybe I'll make my wife cook some pancakes for dessert.

Tomorrow is heavy full body 1st thing in the morning cuz I got a family thing all weekend :/

Hey guys: What brand of BCAAs do you guys take? Either powder or pill form is ok.

I will need to up my energy sources especially when I will start cutting in a month or so.

A friend recommended Modern BCAA

I recommend chicken, fish, beef, dairy, and eggs. You don't need supplemental BCAAs if you get sufficient protein in your diet. If you insist upon something before a fasted workout just have a scoop of whey in water. If you need an energy boost, start learning to love coffee.

rokkerkory

Haha, I said CARB load not FAT load although I kicked it off with (low-fat) ice cream sandwiches and chicken curry w/rice so I'm not entirely innocent either.

So far today: bagels, cinnamon Generic-O's, about half a pound of elbow noodles, and corn niblets. Still got a good 100 grams or so left to hit so maybe I'll make my wife cook some pancakes for dessert.

Tomorrow is heavy full body 1st thing in the morning cuz I got a family thing all weekend :/

I recommend chicken, fish, beef, dairy, and eggs. You don't need supplemental BCAAs if you get sufficient protein in your diet. If you insist upon something before a fasted workout just have a scoop of whey in water. If you need an energy boost, start learning to love coffee.

Really interesting... I do about 220-240g of protein a day including whey. I also drink coffee before gym as well.

I wanted to get more energy from another source like BCAA as well.

J. Bravo

Have you considered replacing it with dumbbell bench? There was a point a while back where I wasn't a fan of barbell bench, so I stuck to dumbbell benchpress. It's still really solid.

I'll give it a try. I did incline db for a while and liked that. maybe flat db is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom