• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
I firmly believe high volume is the way to go unless you're working on a body part twice a week. I like a mixture of compound, isolation, strength and hypertrophy exercises to ensure all the parts of the muscle is being hit.

Example, for chest day: BB bench (strength), DB incline, pec deck, incline DB fly, Hammer strength incline, hammer strength flat, chest dips and cable crossovers.

Is that wrong? Sure I end up doing a lot of sets, but I feel that I hit my upper, inner and lower parts of my chest. BCAAs are big parts of my supplements intake so I make sure muscles recover.
No I agree.

My body got fuuuucked up by running a strictly strength program too long- ass and thighs blew up, arms and calves lagged, and I looks puffy overall despite having BEAST gym numbers.

I do a really modified 5-3-1, with a bunch of BB stuff now; ran the Kelei program for a while before it. Now my body looks a lot more traditional/aesthetically pleasing, which was my initial goal.

sphinx

the piano man
Shitty deadlift day. The gym was extremely humid I was sweating like a pig warming up and my feet were slipping on the floor.

Now last week I got 335x5. I knew something was up when my warmups felt heavy.

Was obviously shooting for 345. Only got one rep and then was like nope. Went for a second single and taped it. I feel like my form is really breaking down at heavier weights. So please, critique away.

http://youtu.be/EwqdbvNo7tU

it was just a few weeks ago that Brolic told me a few things about my DL, I quote:

Brolic Gaoler said:
You need to engage your glutes once you pass your knees. You need to keep your weight on your heels and you need to pull back and up instead of straight up. A few times is looks like you didn't finish the rep by bringing your hips through, but that could be angle. Also your hips shoot up just a tad before the barbell leaves the ground

Main thing though. You're leaning forward and not pulling back

I'd try to look into the bolded lines and see if there's room for improvement there.

Your DL looks a bit forward, like you are lifting the barbell straight up with your shoulders/arms, you could try to feel your heels more and pull back.

I made those changes last time and it felt very differently, it was a major changer and of course, it forced me to deload but it was worth it, I am planning on doing another form check video once I have my regular equipment in Germany, to see if I am on the right path.

I am the last guy who shoulb be talking about DL though, so sorry if this is nonsense or wrong advice. will edit/erase accordingly if needed.

Go_Ly_Dow

Do DL's, reverse grip BB row and wide grip pull ups hit the upper back enough to really get growth in that area? Or should I be looking at something else for that specific area?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I endorse this belief. I believe a large majority of natural lifters over train week after week and that it impedes progress. I used to do 4 exercises for chest and while I saw progress it was nothing like the progress I encountered when I dropped it to only two. Volume is not always the answer. If you choose to go the heavy volume route you better be eating like your life depends on it!

EDIT: No need for a new post. I was going to wait until the cut is over before throwing a post bulk pic on here but what the hell! I'm about 200 here.

00cc6460-f2fc-4b32-8b39-4b347ae17bac.jpg

Looking like pure strenf.

I used to do the same long ago, now I keep it simple lifting 3-4 times a week max. BUT I do have an "arm" day to make my shitty biceps grow; cgbp, lte, chinups, db curl/

I'm trying to bulk but I'm stuck at around 190 now, my front delts are looking like shit...

chicken breasts with red wine on my day off

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is that a thing?

I feel kinda spoiled from having started out lifting with good advice available to me from the previous Fitness OTs.

I almost never see anyone else doing OHP at the gym I go to, but considering all of the quarter squats and "bench press" wiggles I see every day, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "bring it to your forehead" method.

PBY

Banned
Is that a thing?

I feel kinda spoiled from having started out lifting with good advice available to me from the previous Fitness OTs.
It is a thing.

Had a dude tell me I was gonna injure myself doing it my way, tried to "spot" my by flipping be bar up when he deemed it was getting too low.

sphinx

the piano man
nice, clash of the titans in this page.

lol not fair, Cooter looking sexy even after that tremendous bulk and MTP has an enviable, squared waist and awesome traps/shoulders

and yes OHP is like that special "boss" in an RPG that is hard to beat but will give you plenty of experience per kill. it's worth it to master that fight. The same could be said about all compounds actually.

I think I've mentioned that "rpg boss" analogy already before but I like it. lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Is that a thing?

It's common among the people in my gym and in the 10+ I've belonged to in my life. I'm actually shocked everyone doesn't see it often.

Digging the bar out from your upper chest is the most crucial and taxing part of OHP IMO. They are really cheating themselves by not going down more.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Any tips on reducing soreness? I know the day after a workout you will be sore, but any way to minimize it? Thanks.

Samara

I did lat pull down on 50lbs. Ok wow. I was pretty suprised
So I stuck with 12lbs today.

I gues the weight gain had some positive outcome, tho I dont want it.

I dont know if it was the deadlifts or the squats but I think I pulled a muscle in my right outter butt. Hurts like hell.

grumble

Any tips on reducing soreness? I know the day after a workout you will be sore, but any way to minimize it? Thanks.

Soreness comes from a few things:

1. Being untrained. The solution is to go to the gym more and do those movements.

2. Eccentric loading: don't do massive volume with long eccentric loads.

3. Recovery: eat and sleep more.

4. Tons of volume: solution is to reduce volume

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm drinking a VPX BANG before my workouts.

Is consistent Intake of 350 mg of caffeine gonna kill me?

Probably not, but definitely listen to your body. Some people react badly to caffeine.

If you consume like 400 mg or more before your workout, not only can it help you get through the workout, but it will also help suppress insulin for hours after drinking it. Since you just lifted heavy weights, you should have activated the GLUT4 proteins in your muscle tissue, making a perfect situation to pound some carbs and protein immediately after your workout, especially if it's in the evening when you're already insensitive to insulin anyway. The GLUT4 will make your muscles suck up all that glucose from the carbs you just gorged on all while your fat cells remain less sensitive to insulin and thus don't take in nearly as much of the glucose.

Apparently, it's a great trick to partition nutrients to your muscles rather than your fat cells (although this already happens even without the caffeine). I've been thinking about trying it one of these days, but getting that much caffeine through coffee, for example, isn't all that easy.

Noema

Was obviously shooting for 345. Only got one rep and then was like nope. Went for a second single and taped it. I feel like my form is really breaking down at heavier weights. So please, critique away.

http://youtu.be/EwqdbvNo7tU

You have problems with your setup, Sean:

WAupnu1.jpg

You have no lumbar or thoracic extension. Your lower back is completely rounded even before the bar goes up. Also, you have absolutely no hamstring tension before the pull, and you have so little knee flexion it looks almost like a stiff-legged deadlift, which means you are basically pulling the whole thing with your hips, with no help from your quads.

Finally, it's hard to tell from the angle, but it seems like the bar is set too far forward. It has to be set precisely over the middle of the foot.

Remember this pic? You are basically the one on the right:

hamstringtension.png

All these elements have to be in place before you even take in your valsalva prior to the pull.

SeanR1221

You have problems with your setup, Sean:

WAupnu1.jpg

You have no lumbar or thoracic extension. Your lower back is completely rounded even before the bar goes up. Also, you have absolutely no hamstring tension before the pull, and you have so little knee flexion it looks almost like a stiff-legged deadlift, which means you are basically pulling the whole thing with your hips, with no help from your quads.

Finally, it's hard to tell from the angle, but it seems like the bar is set too far forward. It has to be set precisely over the middle of the foot.

Remember this pic? You are basically the one on the right:

hamstringtension.png

All these elements have to be in place before you even take in your valsalva prior to the pull.

I really appreciate the breakdown...

here is a much lighter pull

http://youtu.be/jmBhdNNJwIw

Are you seeing similar incorrect things? I have better lumbar extension, but the other stuff.

How would you recommend fixing the issues?

First things first, had a terrible day at the gym. I usually don't lift at night and I felt that it had a negative impact on me. Couldn't really do anything. I think it is the food just sitting in my gut. I prefer lifting with little to no food. I just feel better. Whatever though, I'm ready to start this cut tomorrow. Figure out my macros as I go along.

I endorse this belief. I believe a large majority of natural lifters over train week after week and that it impedes progress. I used to do 4 exercises for chest and while I saw progress it was nothing like the progress I encountered when I dropped it to only two. Volume is not always the answer. If you choose to go the heavy volume route you better be eating like your life depends on it!

EDIT: No need for a new post. I was going to wait until the cut is over before throwing a post bulk pic on here but what the hell! I'm about 200 here.

00cc6460-f2fc-4b32-8b39-4b347ae17bac.jpg

lol maaaaaaaaaaaan. Dood, you look totally different. Like, I cannot recognize you at all. But yeah, should be fun seeing the end result.

Looking like pure strenf.

I used to do the same long ago, now I keep it simple lifting 3-4 times a week max. BUT I do have an "arm" day to make my shitty biceps grow; cgbp, lte, chinups, db curl/

I'm trying to bulk but I'm stuck at around 190 now, my front delts are looking like shit...

chicken breasts with red wine on my day off

Where is your neck? And your traps! You are a machine.

Hi GAF, is it bad that I usually focus on a single muscle group a day? Such as..
Monday - Biceps
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Triceps/Shoulders
etc?
The exercises I do for each usually work more muscles than just the ones listed but those are the primary ones.

I myself have no problem with a traditional split but you really have to know what you are doing. I plan to do something similar to that but I want to have 2 heavy days a week. So I would lift 5 days a week but the first week would be a heavy chest day and a heavy back day. Next week would be a heavy leg day and heavy shoulders. But again, before going this route, you need to know what you are doing and need to understand why you are doing it.

SeanR1221

Noema,

After watching my video about 50 times and reading your advice I think adjusting a few things will make a big difference.

Bar closer to my shins. Like you said it's not close enough and it's not cutting off half my foot. I misunderstood, I thought it was cut off half your foot loomig down, not cut off half your actual foot.

Shoving my knees forward should be a huge help in not only straightening my back out but also pulling with quads more.

Chocobro

Noema,

After watching my video about 50 times and reading your advice I think adjusting a few things will make a big difference.

Bar closer to my shins. Like you said it's not close enough and it's not cutting off half my foot. I misunderstood, I thought it was cut off half your foot loomig down, not cut off half your actual foot.

Shoving my knees forward should be a huge help in not only straightening my back out but also pulling with quads more.

I think it depends how far forward you are going to shove them. Don't shove them to the point you're squatting down to the weight, you'll lose the required hamstring tension and chances are your butt will shoot up first when performing the lift. You'll probably benefit more from pushing your butt back to have proper hamstring tension, activate your glutes more, and most likely also straighten your back.

The video I generally use for deadlift form: http://youtu.be/u6UgD1H_AXw

Three months ago I was PMing Noema about DL form and he told me:
As for the deadlift, I suggest you reread the SS chapter on it. In a nutshell this is what you need to keep in mind:

Bar over the middle of the foot

Scapulae over the bar I slightly ahead of it.

Bar must be in contact with the shins as you lean over to grab the bar.

Squeeze your back and raise your chest as if you were pointing your nipples at the wall.

Deep breath and pull
I push my butt back and then raise my chest in the fourth step. Noema might disagree, I'm not sure.

SeanR1221

I think it depends how far forward you are going to shove them. Don't shove them to the point you're squatting down to the weight, you'll lose the required hamstring tension and chances are your butt will shoot up first when performing the lift. You'll probably benefit more from pushing your butt back to have proper hamstring tension, activate your glutes more, and most likely also straighten your back.

The video I generally use for deadlift form: http://youtu.be/u6UgD1H_AXw

Three months ago I was PMing Noema about DL form and he told me:

I push my butt back and then raise my chest in the fourth step. Noema might disagree, I'm not sure.

Yeah I don't want to push them too far forward, maybe shoving was the wrong word. But I can tell you it wasn't making contact with my shins at the start and like Noema pointed out, I'm almost stiff legging things.

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the so you think you can deadlift series later.

Chocobro

Yeah I don't want to push them too far forward, maybe shoving was the wrong word. But I can tell you it wasn't making contact with my shins at the start and like Noema pointed out, I'm almost stiff legging things.

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the so you think you can deadlift series later.

Right. Then it might be a good idea to move the bar a bit closer to you instead of having your knees more forward, no? I think I'll stop posting until Noema gets here haha.

That's an interesting series, I watched just watched all of it and it looks like I have most of what he covered in part 1 in check for now (doesn't mean too much if I'm only DLing 3x5x130lb lol). Getting me excited for Wednesday's DLs.

SeanR1221

I just practiced with a broom stick a few times and really cleaned things up. I also think I was wearing my belt a little too high and had too much psych up for the heavier lift.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice on Good Mornings? I'm going to start doing them to strengthen my back and, in combination with hamstring stretches, hopefully eliminate the bit of butt wink I have with my squats.

Videos or tips in general would be appreciated.

Noema

Noema,

Yeah, it should be the middle of your actual foot, not the part of your foot you can see.

You should be positioned so that your shins touch the bar when you lean over to grab the bar. If you are too close, you'll push the bar forward; if you are too far your shins won't touch the bar.

The Rippetoe "Deadlift checklist" is what Chocobro posted:

1. Bar over the middle of the foot
  2. Scapulae over the bar or slightly ahead of it.
  3. Bar must be in contact with the shins as you lean over to grab the bar.
  4. Squeeze your back and raise your chest as if you were pointing your nipples to the wall.
  5. Make sure your elbows are locked; you don't want the weight of a 300lb+ barbell straightening your elbows because they were flexed when you pulled.
  6. Deep breath and pull

Any advice on Good Mornings? I'm going to start doing them to strengthen my back and, in combination with hamstring stretches, hopefully eliminate the bit of butt wink I have with my squats.

How much are you squatting? The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't really be doing Good Mornings until 30% of your 1RM on Squat is about 95lb.

If you need something to stretch your hamstrings and strengthen your erectors I'd do RDLs before messing with GM. Good Mornings are fantastic, but I'd recommend RDLs since you can do them with more weight, and it's easier to do them with good form. I do RDLs with 275-315lb but I dare not load more than 185lb on the bar when doing GMs.

Plus, RDLs will also strengthen your grip. Don't ever do RDLs with a mixed grip; use straps or hook grip if they are too heavy for DOH.

Chocobro

Maybe a video on how to do them? Chris also covers common mistakes and how it is incorporated into workouts. I haven't personally done them yet as I'm still working on SS.

And how much butt wink are you talking about? CanditoTrainingHQ said a tiny bit of butt wink is OK, too drastic is not good.

EDIT: Noema, what's your opinion on SLDL vs RDL?

Noema

Maybe a video on how to do them? Chris also covers common mistakes and how it is incorporated into workouts. I haven't personally done them yet as I'm still working on SS.

And how much butt wink are you talking about? CanditoTrainingHQ said a tiny bit of butt wink is OK, too drastic is not good.

Well, they are very different exercises even if they look similar (a lot of people even mix them up and think they are interchangeable; often Bodybuilders refer to RDLs as SLDL). The big difference is that, since the SLDL starts from the floor like a regular deadlift, the concentric isn't preceeded by an excentric, and this means it's a true deadlift, unlike the RDL, in that each rep begins at a dead stop.

In an RDL, the bar doesn't touch the floor, which means that the hamstrings can bounce off the excentric at the bottom to start the concentric portion of the lift, thus helping train the stretch reflex while also training the ability of the back to stay in lumbar extension under a load.

In my opinion RLDs are fantastic exercise and it's probably the first lift advanced novices and intermediates should introduce to their program at the end of their linear progression.

SLDLs have their uses but they are a more advanced assistance lift IMO, since they allow the hip extension part of the movement to be trained in a way that can produce adaptation without having to do near-maximal efforts on regular deadlifts which has a higher recovery cost. I don't think anyone who can't pull 500lb+ has any business doing them though, and they require a ton of flexibility to do properly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How much are you squatting? The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't really be doing Good Mornings until 30% of your 1RM on Squat is about 95lb.

If you need something to stretch your hamstrings and strengthen your erectors I'd do RDLs before messing with GM. Good Mornings are fantastic, but I'd recommend RDLs since you can do them with more weight, and it's easier to do them with good form. I do RDLs with 275-315lb but I dare not load more than 185lb on the bar when doing GMs.

Plus, RDLs will also strengthen your grip.

I squat at 190 lbs. for my 5 x 3 work sets at the moment. Haven't even tried to determine my 1RM, but I highly doubt it's anywhere close to the 315~ lbs. that would be required to make 95 lbs. 30% of it.

I will definitely look into Romanian Dead Lifts. This is the first I've heard of them. What's a good weight to aim for when it comes to work sets? I did 220 lbs. for my last work set of normal dead lifts.

Thanks! I don't think it's drastic, but I'll have to take a video sometime. I'd like to get rid of it completely, though, so there is no benefit to having it, and I'm fairly sure the tense hamstrings are impeding how much I can squat by some amount. I've also read about how butt winking (depends on severity, surely) can lead to shifting discs and pinched nerves in the long term, which I'd rather avoid.

Noema

I squat at 190 lbs. for my 5 x 3 work sets at the moment. .

You, my friend, have absolutely no business doing Good Mornings.

I I did 220 lbs. for my last work set of normal dead lifts.

You have no business doing RDLs, either; however, if you are looking for a good hamstrings stretch, I'd try practicing doing RDLs with an empty barbell for a couple of sets before squatting and dealifting.

Cudder

Ill try and put up a video of my squat and deadlift this week when I do em. They're both going to be 300lbs as that's where I am with those lifts in my routine. Can't wait for Noema to rip them apart. ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You, my friend, have absolutely no business doing Good Mornings.

You have no business doing RDLs, either; however, if you are looking for a good hamstrings stretch, I'd try practicing doing RDLs with an empty barbell for a couple of sets before squatting and dealifting.

Well shit.

Anything else you could recommend? What would you tell a total beginner who was just starting out and squatting with the bar, but had a but of butt wink, for example? Ignore it and keep squatting? Don't squat so low?

SeanR1221

Noema,

Here I am with a broom stick. I acknowledge my knees are too far forward, but the nipple up cue is good. It's just kind of awkward with a stick as opposed to 135lbs.

My shins definitely don't touch at start up. That a huge thing I'm missing.

Noema

Well shit.

Anything else you could recommend? What would you tell a total beginner who was just starting out and squatting with the bar, but had a but of butt wink, for example? Ignore it and keep squatting? Don't squat so low?

We'd need to take a look at your squat. Are you doing low bar?

Noema

My shins definitely don't touch at start up. That a huge thing I'm missing.

Yeah, you are going forward way too much. If that were a barbell you picked off the floor, you'd be pushing it away. The idea is that your shins touch the bar as you lean over, but at the same time, your shins stay as vertical as possible, with the bar over the middle of the foot. If you push it away from you, you know you are to close to it. If you have to lean forward so much that your shins are approaching a 45° angle as they touch the bar, you know you are too far from the barbell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We'd need to take a look at your squat. Are you doing low bar?

Yeah, low bar. I'll have to take a video soon. I only have videos from last July, and I'm pretty sure I've improved my form since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom