• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Speaking of T-nation, any other websites were its ok to kill some time and read about work outs? Or worthwhile youtube channels?
OmarIsuf and CanditoTrainingHQ are my go-to YouTube channels. Ben Rice for his training vlogs with philosophical commentary. BroScienceLife for lols.
Thanks for your feedback. I guess I'll not worry (too) much about the squats.

You're totally right about the deadlift. After the first lift, I never seem to bring my butt as low as when I first start. In practice, the motion feels fluid, but, watching the video it's just as you point out. I'm gonna have to watch some videos and really focus on executing that form the next time I hit the gym.
Just to reiterate, your squats look very good :) Be at ease.
You can think of each rep of the DL as a mini-set; reset your set-up and keep in mind Brolic's video about pulling the slack out of the bar.

Since shoes are mentioned in this page, I wonder if I should get a pair of Adipowers even though I'm still working on Starting Strength haha. I wish they were a tad cheaper. I'm currently using Chuck Taylors for high-bar squats

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here is a good explanation of it but high bar uses mostly quads and glutes while low bar uses all posterior chain muscles.
http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

Thanks! That was an interesting read. Got me pumped to do squats.

I'm really pissed at myself for cutting squats out every other workout for about a month there, when it's the exercise I should really be doing the most.

OmarIsuf and CanditoTrainingHQ are my go-to YouTube channels. Ben Rice for his training vlogs with philosophical commentary. BroScienceLife for lols.

Just to reiterate, your squats look very good :) Be at ease.
You can think of each rep of the DL as a mini-set; reset your set-up and keep in mind Brolic's video about pulling the slack out of the bar.

Since shoes are mentioned in this page, I wonder if I should get a pair of Adipowers even though I'm still working on Starting Strength haha. I wish they were a tad cheaper. I'm currently using Chuck Taylors for high-bar squats

Thanks again! I will definitely take your advice and think of each DL as a mini-set, while keeping in mind the form in the video Brolic posted. Since I'm setting the weight down each rep, I suppose it's not a big deal if I take a few seconds to make sure my form is better.

In regards to shoes, I use those Vibram fivefingers like in my videos, or I'll just take off my shoes and lift while in my socks. I haven't really looked into it much, but I just assumed that if the main goal of weight lifting shoes is to eliminate compression that, well, you can't eliminate it much further than going barefoot.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! That was an interesting read. Got me pumped to do squats.

I'm really pissed at myself for cutting squats out every other workout for about a month there, when it's the exercise I should really be doing the most.

Thanks again! I will definitely take your advice and think of each DL as a mini-set, while keeping in mind the form in the video Brolic posted. Since I'm setting the weight down each rep, I suppose it's not a big deal if I take a few seconds to make sure my form is better.

In regards to shoes, I use those Vibram fivefingers like in my videos, or I'll just take off my shoes and lift while in my socks. I haven't really looked into it much, but I just assumed that if the main goal of weight lifting shoes is to eliminate compression that, well, you can't eliminate it much further than going barefoot.
I'm partial to lifting barefoot myself but it's not accurate to say the main goal of weightlifting shoes is to eliminate compression. They have a solid and raised heel which changes your ankle angle and are generally constructed in a way that minimises lateral movement in the feet. A good pair can make it feel like you're concreted to the floor and can make a pretty big improvement with movements like squats and (obviously) the Olympic lifts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm partial to lifting barefoot myself but it's not accurate to say the main goal of weightlifting shoes is to eliminate compression. They have a solid and raised heel which changes your ankle angle and are generally constructed in a way that minimises lateral movement in the feet. A good pair can make it feel like you're concreted to the floor and can make a pretty big improvement with movements like squats and (obviously) the Olympic lifts.

Interesting! It appears I was mistaken about weight lifting shoes. I may have to splurge and buy a good pair someday just to see how they change things.

PBY

Banned
Allows the valsava maneuver to be more effective allowing you to brace your back/abdominals against the belt increasing abdominal pressure stabilizing the spine. This allows you to move more weight.

Thanks.

I dunno. I got up to deadlifting 400 lbs w/o one. Not saying they aren't necessary, just never felt the need for one.

Powercast

omar isuf's channel and Brandon Campbell have good channels

3DMJ is lesser known but has some good lectures and people on it.

Yep I really like 3DMJ, Alberto Nunez is an inspiration to me. He's leaner after 2 years of offseason than most guys after a cut.
And also Bryce Lewis channel.

So I decided to move from the Smith machine for my bench press and move over to the proper rack from now on, yet I managed to lift more than usual? I was totally expecting to have to come down a few kg's to get used to it.

The hell?

Go_Ly_Dow

So I decided to move from the Smith machine for my bench press and move over to the proper rack from now on, yet I managed to lift more than usual? I was totally expecting to have to come down a few kg's to get used to it.

The hell?

My take - bench is free weight so will incorporate your other muscles more (shoulders, back, triceps, biceps and even legs) to maintain form. Whilst with the smith is a machine.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell I want to do for a routine. I kinda want to back to 5/3/1 as I was still able to gain strength even while on a cut but like the idea of doing heavy singles/doubles/triples. There is something about lifting heavy that just gets me excited and hyped for the workout.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell I want to do for a routine. I kinda want to back to 5/3/1 as I was still able to gain strength even while on a cut but like the idea of doing heavy singles/doubles/triples. There is something about lifting heavy that just gets me excited and hyped for the workout.

I feel you on the lifting heavy part, but man, gains are gains. If 5/3/1 was working for you on a cut then I'd be hard pressed to recommend not going that route.

My take - bench is free weight so will incorporate your other muscles more (shoulders, back, triceps, biceps and even legs) to maintain form. Whilst with the smith is a machine.

That's what I thought. I did get into a slightly different position than usual (arched lower back and pulled my shoulders back) and it felt much better.

Could anyone tell me why I don't seem to feel like my chest is getting any work done when I bench? After a chest session, the area around my armpit feels like it's been worked, but nothing towards the middle at all. Even when I do incline press, flyes, cable work etc. I never feel like I've worked all of my chest.

PBY

Banned
Yup. I know the feeling.

Try 5/3/1 modified for bodybuilding?

Imm0rt4l

Yep I really like 3DMJ, Alberto Nunez is an inspiration to me. He's leaner after 2 years of offseason than most guys after a cut.
And also Bryce Lewis channel.

Yea Alberto is fucking shredded, even in his offseason he's closer to contest ready than most guys, it's ridiculous really. I really like hearing eric helms speak on a number of things as well. And yea Bryce is a monster, dude just pulled 720lbs at his bachelor party.

Stannis

5/3/1 with occasional joker sets thrown in, for me, satisfies that feeling of wanting to lift heavy every now and then. If it's worked for you before I say go for it.

how do you guys track like a half a rotisserie chicken in your macros?

My fitness pal has a ton of entries that are wildly varying and I doubt that some of them include the light meat/dark meat, skin, etc.

agrajag

Banned
No because you loaded differently between starting at the top vs at the bottom.

Also SLDL return to the floor. Rdls need only pass the knee before returning to the top.

Got ya. Do most people even have the flexibility to do a SLDL with correct form? I know its hard for me not to round my back even with regular deadlifts.

Food scale

yeah, I guess I need to get one for work too if I'm going to be serious about tracking. I'll often go pick up baked or rotisserie chicken for lunch.

So also the weight of the bones and portion you don't eat was throwing me off before when looking at the packaging. I guess I'll just have to take the meat off and weigh it.

blackflag

5/3/1 main lift then body building assistance imo For example

5/3/1 Bench

incline bench 4 sets

incline fly's 4 sets

Whatever else you do for chest.

Next day

Deadlift 5/3/1

Barbell or 1 arm rows
lat pulldowns
seated rows
whatever

etc.

blackflag

how do you guys track like a half a rotisserie chicken in your macros?

My fitness pal has a ton of entries that are wildly varying and I doubt that some of them include the light meat/dark meat, skin, etc.

It will be difficult to track that correctly.

a. it's probably already cooked. Meat is always weighed uncooked.
b. you don't know how much is light meat or dark meat.

Pete Rock

Food scale
Yep, weigh everything you consume. I even take mine on road trips along with a cooler full of chow for the week. Although I agree the water is muddied with a rotisserie chicken, which is why I just boil up two 7lb packs of chicken breasts after cleaning them of fat and connective tissue. No mystery there.

Had my lifting bro film my squat set at 315, been working towards this for a while and only expected to get ten reps, ended up with twelve. My only long term goal since I started two summers ago has been to one-rep squat twice my body weight. I know I should be able to, but I haven't actually attempted it as it seems like something I would have to do on an off day, and that's just wrong.

Really enjoying GSLP, love the 2x5 followed by the AMRAP, got me back on the gains train for every core lift. All the "plug-ins" have really added a lot of definition to my back and chest, although I am still a house-cat sized 178 lbs. Doing Starting Strength for a year and a half, always starting the session and being most comfortable with the squat movement had really made me "bottom heavy", one of the main goals of switching programming was to incrementally swing this back the other way.

Going from an endless recomp cycle to a week long cut for an upcoming convention, really excited! I might post some pics but they would probably be considered nsfw lol

despire

Squatted 266 lbs x 4 today. I've been thinking sometime now that my form is breaking down so I had my GF film me today. At least to me it seems that my lower back is rounding too much due to tight hamstrings or whatnot. I'm thinking I should deload since shit's getting seriously fucking heavy and my form seems to be breaking down. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gQOQSOrJEc

Yep, weigh everything you consume. I even take mine on road trips along with a cooler full of chow for the week. Although I agree the water is muddied with a rotisserie chicken, which is why I just boil up two 7lb packs of chicken breasts after cleaning them of fat and connective tissue. No mystery there.

Had my lifting bro film my squat set at 315, been working towards this for a while and only expected to get ten reps, ended up with twelve. My only long term goal since I started two summers ago has been to one-rep squat twice my body weight. I know I should be able to, but I haven't actually attempted it as it seems like something I would have to do on an off day, and that's just wrong.

Really enjoying GSLP, love the 2x5 followed by the AMRAP, got me back on the gains train for every core lift. All the "plug-ins" have really added a lot of definition to my back and chest, although I am still a house-cat sized 178 lbs. Doing Starting Strength for a year and a half, always starting the session and being most comfortable with the squat movement had really made me "bottom heavy", one of the main goals of switching programming was to incrementally swing this back the other way.

Going from an endless recomp cycle to a week long cut for an upcoming convention, really excited! I might post some pics but they would probably be considered nsfw lol

I recently switched over to GSLP and I'm loving the heck out of it too. I felt the same way of being bottom heavy coming off SS and I like the direction GSLP takes it. The frequency method pushups alone have helped me out on the bench so much it feels like.

Which plug-ins are you using? I am doing the "Linebacker" focus and I'm looking for some stuff to plug in for back and bis besides the frequency method chins that I am doing, and maybe some ab work.

Pete Rock

At least to me it seems that my lower back is rounding too much due to tight hamstrings or whatnot. I'm thinking I should deload since shit's getting seriously fucking heavy and my form seems to be breaking down. What do you guys think?
Yeah you need to eliminate that butt-wink entirely, it is really bad for your spine and the chest caving down is what immediately follows that movement. From what I can tell one cannot happen without the other, and instead of sitting back into the lift, folks tend to push their butt down and rotate the pelvis like that. Once that happens the movement breaks down into two components, so the ass comes up first, which is the easy part as it is now "behind" the load, then it is tremendously difficult to bring your torso back into position with the load arranged so far out from the center mass and the strongest established lever which is at the hips and is mostly mitigated. It's not really that exaggerated in your video, ie it doesn't look like a half-good-morning, but it seems to be part of the problem. Due to the orientation of the video I can't really see your knees or ankles that well but on the reps they are visible the knees do seem to be buckling in a little bit as you push out of the hole which is another indicator of these things coming in to play.

It's also a little hard for me to tell because you've got a sweatshirt and a belt on over it (?) but your arm position is not as far back as it could be, to me the elbows seem really close to the torso and it appears a little more akin to the palms and elbows underneath approach that accompany a high bar squat. If you've ever done the yoga pose half-bridge, the angle and rotation of your arms in that position is something to emulate on the setup before you unrack the weight. It is very obvious in that position, as your weight is bearing down on the floor in the same spot the bar should be, and you need to rock side to side and "pull" your shoulder blades in to get your hands to meet in the first place.

Forcing your elbows up really helps keep your chest oriented in the correction position and much like on deadlifts the proud chest helps "set" the posterior chain from the top down. I can't find the quote now, but I seem to recall the idea being that your back position should be established and never change a third of the way into the range of motion from the top down, so that's another good thing to keep in mind.

Which plug-ins are you using? I am doing the "Linebacker" focus and I'm looking for some stuff to plug in for back and bis besides the frequency method chins that I am doing, and maybe some ab work.
Close grip upright rows at 200lbs, weighted chin ups at 45, trap bar shrugs at 185, neck harness extensions at 35, standing ez curl bar at 75, wrist curls at 45. I superset two sets of ten reps for all these movements in between the press movement for that day and the main core lift at the end. Although to be honest as my press weights go up I have less in me for the weighted chins and my sets are more like 9 and 8, so I haven't been perfectly strict on that.

For me the best ab work is heavy squats and deadlifts so I've never felt the need to do anything special in that area other than maintaining a very strict diet.

Yeah you need to eliminate that butt-wink entirely, it is really bad for your spine and the chest caving down is what immediately follows that movement. From what I can tell one cannot happen without the other, and instead of sitting back into the lift, folks tend to push their butt down and rotate the pelvis like that. Once that happens the movement breaks down into two components, so the ass comes up first, which is the easy part as it is now "behind" the load, then it is tremendously difficult to bring your torso back into position with the load arranged so far out from the center mass and the strongest established lever which is at the hips and is mostly mitigated. It's not really that exaggerated in your video, ie it doesn't look like a half-good-morning, but it seems to be part of the problem. Due to the orientation of the video I can't really see your knees or ankles that well but on the reps they are visible the knees do seem to be buckling in a little bit as you push out of the hole which is another indicator of these things coming in to play.

It's also a little hard for me to tell because you've got a sweatshirt and a belt on over it (?) but your arm position is not as far back as it could be, to me the elbows seem really close to the torso and it appears a little more akin to the palms and elbows underneath approach that accompany a high bar squat. If you've ever done the yoga pose half-bridge, the angle and rotation of your arms in that position is something to emulate on the setup before you unrack the weight. It is very obvious in that position, as your weight is bearing down on the floor in the same spot the bar should be, and you need to rock side to side and "pull" your shoulder blades in to get your hands to meet in the first place.

Forcing your elbows up really helps keep your chest oriented in the correction position and much like on deadlifts the proud chest helps "set" the posterior chain from the top down. I can't find the quote now, but I seem to recall the idea being that your back position should be established and never change a third of the way into the range of motion from the top down, so that's another good thing to keep in mind.

Close grip upright rows at 200lbs, weighted chin ups at 45, trap bar shrugs at 185, neck harness extensions at 35, standing ez curl bar at 75, wrist curls at 45. I superset two sets of ten reps for all these movements in between the press movement for that day and the main core lift at the end. Although to be honest as my press weights go up I have less in me for the weighted chins and my sets are more like 9 and 8, so I haven't been perfectly strict on that.

For me the best ab work is heavy squats and deadlifts so I've never felt the need to do anything special in that area other than maintaining a very strict diet.

awesome, thanks for the insight. Going to look into working in some of these into my programming.

That's what I thought. I did get into a slightly different position than usual (arched lower back and pulled my shoulders back) and it felt much better.

Could anyone tell me why I don't seem to feel like my chest is getting any work done when I bench? After a chest session, the area around my armpit feels like it's been worked, but nothing towards the middle at all. Even when I do incline press, flyes, cable work etc. I never feel like I've worked all of my chest.

Like, by the armpit but still on the pec muscle? Not on the delts?

How muscle fibers work is, the whole length of the thing contracts. Think of your bicep: it's just one thing. You either contract it or you don't. You can't just flex the half of the bicep closer to your elbow.

The chest's fibers run from sternum to shoulder. They spread out like a fan- bunched up at the shoulder and spread in the middle. There's no division between outer chest and middle chest. Wherever you happen to feel the burn along the fiber, it doesn't matter. If fiber is contracting, the whole thing is getting worked. I don't know why it's so common to only feel the burn in the outer part of a pec fiber, but don't let it get to you. HARDCORE BROSCIENCE HYPOTHESIS BEING PULLED FROM NOWHERE: Maybe it's gotta do with the spreading-out thing? The part where the fibers are bunched up burns more, while in the less dense area in the middle, there's more blood flow relative to the number of muscle fibers so lactic acid gets rinsed out faster? Idk.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My chest only gets sore by my armpit. That's how it's always been. I think it's normal.

I tried deadlifting after watching that how to video with that big white dude posted in here... Damn what a difference. You're supposed to feel it in your hams right? I'm feeling it today after doing just a bunch of reps at just 95 lbs. I was COMPLETELY doing them wrong before and thus hurt my back (felt a sharp pop and couldn't walk right for two weeks) at 275lbs. Let me tell you, if you're starting out, make sure your deadlift and squat form is 100% right. You might be OK the first few weeks even months but eventually that weight is going to get too heavy and your back is gonna go NOOOOOOPE.

Trust me on this. I learned the hard way. Let my errors help guide you on your path to greatness.

SeanR1221

Pete you are a beast! Those looked easy man.

Despire, I'd say your lower back is definitely rounding but (it's hard to tell) your depth looks good. Maybe shove your chest up more and hold a really deep breath to keep that lumbar extension?

I've felt the same flexibility issues you mention since recovering. I'm doing a deload myself and my 5s week is starting pretty low. Gonna post a video tomorrow.

Wednesday is the day I return to the gym after a flu-induced hiatus--a bit over a week. In total, I missed 4 gym days.

What sort of strength loss should I expect? I'm pretty fucking bummed because I either just hit or was approaching a few milestones.

PBY

Banned
Wednesday is the day I return to the gym after a flu-induced hiatus--a bit over a week. In total, I missed 4 gym days.

What sort of strength loss should I expect? I'm pretty fucking bummed because I either just hit or was approaching a few milestones.
Depends.

Could be real shitty.

Weirdly, sometimes after being sick I have one awesome day, and then a real bad week.

rage1973

It depends and if you were able to eat well through your sickness it shouldn't really effect your strength.

Cooter

Most likely it will be minimal if any at all.

5/3/1 main lift then body building assistance imo For example

5/3/1 Bench

incline bench 4 sets

incline fly's 4 sets

Whatever else you do for chest.

Next day

Deadlift 5/3/1

Barbell or 1 arm rows
lat pulldowns
seated rows
whatever

etc.

5/3/1 with occasional joker sets thrown in, for me, satisfies that feeling of wanting to lift heavy every now and then. If it's worked for you before I say go for it.

Yup. I know the feeling.

Try 5/3/1 modified for bodybuilding?

Yeah, I did this last year and I guess I will do it again. Can't argue with results.

Cooter

If this callous rips open again tonight while I'm deadlifting I'm going to go in the zumba class and punch someone in the face!!

It's been a few years of excuses and half ass workouts Gaf but not anymore! Me and the wife decided it's time to get back knot it. I use to be a guru but made every excuse in the world not anymore. Can't wait to see the results . A month in already feel better .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom