• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's been a few years of excuses and half ass workouts Gaf but not anymore! Me and the wife decided it's time to get back knot it. I use to be a guru but made every excuse in the world not anymore. Can't wait to see the results . A month in already feel better .
Be careful you don't get too buff!

sphinx

the piano man
Alright gents, here's my first set of bench last night @ 255lbs. Was supposed to get 3x5 @ 255, but on the verrrry last rep of my sets I needed a little help, so I'll be doing this weight again next week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smtnSTZ872w&feature=youtu.be

Squat video coming tomorrow.

Had my lifting bro film my squat set at 315

this is so exciting. Thank you guys for showing your moves/sets, my respect has grown tenfold for you two.

Cudder, are you benching 1.5XBW? or less or more? regardless, great form, straight up and down, complete range of motion.

Pete, same great form, good flexibility and movility, it just looks right

I was not sure about showing the squat I did today (High bar, 5X3, lbs 225.5, 2nd time doing this weigth) but because this is the best mother fucking fitness community anywhere on the net, I'll post it just to join the party, even though I am nowhere near the level shown in the videos posted last page.

but past the excitement, I wanted to ask you guys if you think the ROM here is acceptable... Thing is,,I am used to squat lower, mostly ATG but I feared for my left knee which I slightly injured some days ago and I suspect I pussied out of it a bit.., I went lower on the last rep on purpose because I felt I wasn't going low enough through the set.

the one thing I am happy about is that I almost completely corrected the heel problem I had,

PBY

Banned
It looks a little shallow- then again you know your body best.

Of course you could be doing more damage this way, but I'm not a doctor.

sphinx

the piano man
It looks a little shallow- then again you know your body best.

Of course you could be doing more damage this way, but I'm not a doctor.

what looks shallow and what does it mean in this case? (not offended or anything, just want to understand the post)

and yes, I could be doing more damage but I hadn't squatted or done leg workouts for two weeks, I thought it was enough time, I am back home and have absolutely no pain or anything....that feeling on my left knee comes and goes, I think I've mentioned before.

I am probably asking for an injury if I continue though :/

rage1973

what looks shallow and what does it mean in this case? (not offended or anything, just want to understand the post)

and yes, I could be doing more damage but I hadn't squatted or done leg workouts for two weeks, I thought it was enough time, I am back home and have absolutely no pain or anything....that feeling on my left knee comes and goes, I think I've mentioned before.

I am probably asking for an injury if I continue though :/
Your leg doesn't looks to be parallel at the bottom of the squat.

sphinx

the piano man
Your leg doesn't looks to be parallel at the bottom of the squat.

I watched pausing at the deepest point in each rep and yeah, only rep 5 is parallel :p bah, I need to go next time with no fear of injuring something.

One thing at a time, I guess, heel is stable now, now I have to get back the rom.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yep, weigh everything you consume. I even take mine on road trips along with a cooler full of chow for the week. Although I agree the water is muddied with a rotisserie chicken, which is why I just boil up two 7lb packs of chicken breasts after cleaning them of fat and connective tissue. No mystery there.

Had my lifting bro film my squat set at 315, been working towards this for a while and only expected to get ten reps, ended up with twelve. My only long term goal since I started two summers ago has been to one-rep squat twice my body weight. I know I should be able to, but I haven't actually attempted it as it seems like something I would have to do on an off day, and that's just wrong.

Really enjoying GSLP, love the 2x5 followed by the AMRAP, got me back on the gains train for every core lift. All the "plug-ins" have really added a lot of definition to my back and chest, although I am still a house-cat sized 178 lbs. Doing Starting Strength for a year and a half, always starting the session and being most comfortable with the squat movement had really made me "bottom heavy", one of the main goals of switching programming was to incrementally swing this back the other way.

Going from an endless recomp cycle to a week long cut for an upcoming convention, really excited! I might post some pics but they would probably be considered nsfw lol

You're not hitting depth (could be angle though) and wtf is going on with your shorts?

I think you need to go just a bit deeper. You're not way off, pretty much there, but it looks like you're just missing depth.

Cudder

this is so exciting. Thank you guys for showing your moves/sets, my respect has grown tenfold for you two.

Cudder, are you benching 1.5XBW? or less or more? regardless, great form, straight up and down, complete range of motion.

Pete, same great form, good flexibility and movility, it just looks right

I was not sure about showing the squat I did today (High bar, 5X3, lbs 225.5, 2nd time doing this weigth) but because this is the best mother fucking fitness community anywhere on the net, I'll post it just to join the party, even though I am nowhere near the level shown in the videos posted last page.

but past the excitement, I wanted to ask you guys if you think the ROM here is acceptable... Thing is,,I am used to squat lower, mostly ATG but I feared for my left knee which I slightly injured some days ago and I suspect I pussied out of it a bit.., I went lower on the last rep on purpose because I felt I wasn't going low enough through the set.

the one thing I am happy about is that I almost completely corrected the heel problem I had,
I'm actually about 220lbs at the moment, so no not quite lol.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What is the best way to keep off as much fat and retain as much muscle when you can't work out for a few weeks or more? I just got my gynecomastia surgery last friday and I won't be able to do any light weight lifting until week 3 and won't be back into my regular regimen until week 4 at least. Do I just eat as clean as possible? What kind of macros should I go for in my diet? I'm probably going to try to do 2-3 HIIT sessions a week.

rokkerkory

How are your knees at 185? Do they move a bit?

Sometimes and I struggle with full range of motion after the first few reps. =/

This is what I get for neglecting weight training esp legs for first 30 years of my life. No excuses but I am paying for it now... so much to catch up on.

rokkerkory

What is the best way to keep off as much fat and retain as much muscle when you can't work out for a few weeks or more? I just got my gynecomastia surgery last friday and I won't be able to do any light weight lifting until week 3 and won't be back into my regular regimen until week 4 at least. Do I just eat as clean as possible? What kind of macros should I go for in my diet? I'm probably going to try to do 2-3 HIIT sessions a week.

Eating clean as much as you can would help and body weight workouts would be ok?

SeanR1221

Sometimes and I struggle with full range of motion after the first few reps. =/

This is what I get for neglecting weight training esp legs for first 30 years of my life. No excuses but I am paying for it now... so much to catch up on.

Wuh? 30? How old are you? I thought you were a college kid by your avatar.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Yeah light bodyweight exercises will maybe be ok starting week 2 post-op.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn this stupid cough won't go away. My OHP day yesterday was terrible and not even sure if I should do deads tonight. This was also have taking nearly a week off to recover during deload week last week.

Greetings Fitness-GAF, I am turning to you for advice. I've been weight training for about 3-4 years now. I'm happy with my current build, diet, etc. I have decided to take up MMA to further my fitness level (flexibility, agility, balance, etc), learn a new skill, etc. If I start weight training a time or two less a week, am I going to lose muscle mass by replacing lift workouts with MMA classes? I'd still be lifting 2-3 times a week and working out more in total probably but how will my muscle mass/gain be? Not looking to lose muscle. Thanks!

Cooter

Greetings Fitness-GAF, I am turning to you for advice. I've been weight training for about 3-4 years now. I'm happy with my current build, diet, etc. I have decided to take up MMA to further my fitness level (flexibility, agility, balance, etc), learn a new skill, etc. If I start weight training a time or two less a week, am I going to lose muscle mass by replacing lift workouts with MMA classes? I'd still be lifting 2-3 times a week and working out more in total probably but how will my muscle mass/gain be? Not looking to lose muscle. Thanks!
No. Maintaining muscle is fairly easy

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys, here are my 3 working sets of squats tonight. 3x5 @ 300lbs. There were definitely some sloppy reps on my 2nd and 3rd sets. :(

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Critique away.

Keep in mind that 5 months ago, my 1RM on Squats was 295lbs, and my attempted 1 rep of 305lbs failed. Progress!

I'm in no position to critique, but damn you drop down fast. Does that hurt your knees at all or are you all good?

Also, I don't wanna hate, but video 2 was great with the dude in the background loading on way too much and doing quarter squats right before you hop in and squat deep.

Like, by the armpit but still on the pec muscle? Not on the delts?

How muscle fibers work is, the whole length of the thing contracts. Think of your bicep: it's just one thing. You either contract it or you don't. You can't just flex the half of the bicep closer to your elbow.

The chest's fibers run from sternum to shoulder. They spread out like a fan- bunched up at the shoulder and spread in the middle. There's no division between outer chest and middle chest. Wherever you happen to feel the burn along the fiber, it doesn't matter. If fiber is contracting, the whole thing is getting worked. I don't know why it's so common to only feel the burn in the outer part of a pec fiber, but don't let it get to you. HARDCORE BROSCIENCE HYPOTHESIS BEING PULLED FROM NOWHERE: Maybe it's gotta do with the spreading-out thing? The part where the fibers are bunched up burns more, while in the less dense area in the middle, there's more blood flow relative to the number of muscle fibers so lactic acid gets rinsed out faster? Idk.

That makes sense thanks. Yes it's the peck side of the armpit, just below the shoulder where I feel it. It just confuses me when my gym buddy (who is a lot bigger than me) says that he feels it across his entire chest especially down the very middle, where I've never felt anything there. So I just thought that maybe it's down to me not having any pecks to actually work.

Lucid07

So the gym I was going to join in Feb but ive just found out that it only has a smith machine. I has free weights too and benches but nothing like a sqaut rack or a proper bench for pressing in, should I look around for another gym or just go there anyways? I want to be doing squats, deadlifts and power cleans etc but preferably not in a smith machine.

SeanR1221

So the gym I was going to join in Feb but ive just found out that it only has a smith machine. I has free weights too and benches but nothing like a sqaut rack or a proper bench for pressing in, should I look around for another gym or just go there anyways? I want to be doing squats, deadlifts and power cleans etc but preferably not in a smith machine.

You can't do any of those things in the smith machine so yes, time to look for a new gym.

rokkerkory

Doing a 12 hour day at work so won't make it to gym today. Today is core/cardio day so I'll do some intervals and ab work at home tonight.

Szu

What about Mike Chang?!

/jk

Great tennis player, but not much of a bodybuilder.

reebok-chang-reebok-court-victory-6.jpg

/also jk

velociraptor

I have finally built a home gym.

Got a Powertec Power Rack, bench, lat machine, and 235kg olympic weights.

Only problem is that the screws on the rack are too tight. I overtightened the damn thing. Is that a bad thing? The metal has warped in a little bit.

Cudder

I'm in no position to critique, but damn you drop down fast. Does that hurt your knees at all or are you all good?

Also, I don't wanna hate, but video 2 was great with the dude in the background loading on way too much and doing quarter squats right before you hop in and squat deep.

Never had any pain in my knees.

Looked good to me cudder. Hit good depth and everything. Well done.

Nice job cudder. You're coming a long way

Those are pretty good squats, but try to not unrack the bar with a staggered stance, it can throw you off-balance with heavier weights.

Appreciate it guys. The staggered unrack is just something that comes very natural to me. I feel much more stable doing it that way then getting completely under the bar, un racking, and then stepping back with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Look for another gym if it's an option, but working in the Smith machine will be better than nothing if you have no alternative. You probably have an alternative, though, so I'd recommend looking for a gym with the proper equipment.

Lucid07

You can't do any of those things in the smith machine so yes, time to look for a new gym.

Look for another gym if it's an option, but working in the Smith machine will be better than nothing if you have no alternative. You probably have an alternative, though, so I'd recommend looking for a gym with the proper equipment.

Thanks for the advice, I thought as much, I was going to start in Feb anyways so I've got half a month to find a decent one. I was only really looking at that gym because a friend went there but I'd rather be at a decent one alone than there.

I posted a couple weeks ago about my starting stats. I've lost a little weight and gained strength so I'm happy about that. I know I may be judged because I did it at a crossfit-like gym but I genuinely have fun and we have a lot of strength training days where we don't do a lot of movements. What's important is that it got my lazy ass off of the couch and the palpitations are no longer present.

original weights:
front squat - 205 x 3
back squat - 210 x 3
bench - 150 x 4
overhead press - 150 x 3
overhead jerk - 165 x 3
deadlift - 315 x 5

Now:
deadlift is now at 325
front squat is now at 215
back squat is now at 235
bench is the same
press is now at 155

I've also lost 15 lbs since. I started at 255, it's now 240 after 3 weeks. So happy about all of this :D
jerk is the same

Cooter

I posted a couple weeks ago about my starting stats. I've lost a little weight and gained strength so I'm happy about that. I know I may be judged because I did it at a crossfit-like gym but I genuinely have fun and we have a lot of strength training days where we don't do a lot of movements. What's important is that it got my lazy ass off of the couch and the palpitations are no longer present.

original weights:
front squat - 205 x 3
back squat - 210 x 3
bench - 150 x 4
overhead press - 150 x 3
overhead jerk - 165 x 3
deadlift - 315 x 5

Now:
deadlift is now at 325
front squat is now at 215
back squat is now at 235
bench is the same
press is now at 155

I've also lost 15 lbs since. I started at 255, it's now 240 after 3 weeks. So happy about all of this :D
jerk is the same

You now OHP more than you bench? That's odd. Are you doing a push press where you use your lower body to push the weight over your head?

You now OHP more than you bench? That's odd. Are you doing a push press where you use your lower body to push the weight over your head?

I end up using part of my lower body to help bring it up but it's not quite fast enough to be a jerk. Does it count as a press if I'm using some lower body to help the press? I'm a fitness novice and a lot of this is fairly new to me.

Cooter

I end up using part of my lower body to help bring it up but it's not quite fast enough to be a jerk. Does it count as a press if I'm using some lower body to help the press? I'm a fitness novice and a lot of this is fairly new to me.
It counts as a push press. OHP has no lower body help whatsoever.

That makes sense thanks. Yes it's the peck side of the armpit, just below the shoulder where I feel it. It just confuses me when my gym buddy (who is a lot bigger than me) says that he feels it across his entire chest especially down the very middle, where I've never felt anything there. So I just thought that maybe it's down to me not having any pecks to actually work.

Yeah my orignal experience agrees with yours. First few times benching, i only got sore near the armpit. As I've gotten stronger its easier to feel exertion across my whole chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom