• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess it's safe to say that no one ought to be intimidated or feel bad. Simply by going to the gym you are doing more than most. Take it as a win.

I like this kind of positive thinking.

I've said it before in this thread, but even if you can only bench press an empty 45 lbs bar, if you get in the gym and do that 10 times twice a week, you're pushing nearly a half of a ton of weight. That's is probably more than 80% of humans do on any given week, so you're already far ahead of average just by taking the first step.

I don't mind the New Years Resolutioners at my gym, I really don't...

... But it bothers me when I see alot of the new guys using deathgrips on the bench. Shit looks outrageously dangerous. Especially since I've seen some who're stuggling with the BP weight they're lifting.

MjFrancis

Wife had been doing 5/3/1 with me as well and seeing good results, but we found out a week ago she's pregnant with our second child. Dr told her to keep working out, but no flat bench press and to just do bar and more reps. I'm not sure about the bar thing, but I don't really want to risk anything either. She is upset in the sense that she was really starting to see some big changes in her body and then now she's 13 weeks pregnant and starting to go the other way slowly. I told her she can stay in the routine and stay in pretty good shape between now and delivery and then get back at it hardcore after then. We're both really excited about the baby though, but weren't trying. She was actually on birth control at the time it happened, I guess. Which means my little guys were storming the beaches of Normandy but one was able to get through. Good fighter.
Congrats on the future little one! Mine is fifteen months now and is a lot of fun. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work to raise him, but if you're consistently lifting you know hard work.

So I guess it's safe to say that no one ought to be intimidated or feel bad. Simply by going to the gym you are doing more than most. Take it as a win.
It's the first step, we all had to start somewhere.

My wife has found a lifting partner to help motivate one another. Well, actually they both found a babysitter in one another, lol. Their kid is about my son's age so one watches both while the other works out in my garage and then they trade off. I think it's a pretty cool arrangement, and I am all for it. Thing is, the other mom can't press the bar. That's okay, though, because she has to start somewhere, and if my equipment can help the two of them, all the better.

I'm reminded of the Rip quote that strong people are harder to kill than weak people. That first step is the hardest, but you won't get there if you don't even bother. I know my wife's friend is intimidated, but I'm happy my own little sanctuary can be useful for someone else to start erasing those insecurities.

andycapps

Congrats on the future little one! Mine is fifteen months now and is a lot of fun. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work to raise him, but if you're consistently lifting you know hard work.

Definitely, last time around I was in horrible shape and I think that probably contributed to how rough that adjustment period is. We were eating horribly and not exercising at all. Now we're eating very "clean" and exercising 4-5 days a week, and yeah, I know hard work now. It's been 8 years since we've had a newborn, but I know it'll all come back and I'm less stressed about it now than the first time around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For those who use belts for squats and dead lifts, around when did you start? I'm starting to think I should get one, especially for squats, but are there any downsides or anything I should keep in mind when using one?

Thanks!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
For those who use belts for squats and dead lifts, around when did you start? I'm starting to think I should get one, especially for squats, but are there any downsides or anything I should keep in mind when using one?

Thanks!
They help a ton. Physically as well as mentally. I only use my belt for my last set of DL, Squats, and OHP. It gives me that extra boost to really finish hard. As far as amounts, my last set of DL for 5 is 455, squat is 375-395, and OHP is 190-200. Every set leading up to those I don't use it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They help a ton. Physically as well as mentally. I only use my belt for my last set of DL, Squats, and OHP. It gives me that extra boost to really finish hard. As far as amounts, my last set of DL for 5 is 455, squat is 375-395, and OHP is 190-200. Every set leading up to those I don't use it.

Thanks!

I know everyone is different, but when did you first start using a belt? I'm still not lifting much. Just 190 lbs. x 5 with my squat, 220 lbs. x 5 with dead lift for my work sets. With squats, though, that last set especially can be rough.

Also, can you think of any negatives when it comes to using one? I think there were some recommendations a couple of pages back, but if you can suggest any good belts, I'd appreciate it, too.

Cooter

Thanks!

I know everyone is different, but when did you first start using a belt? I'm still not lifting much. Just 190 lbs. x 5 with my squat, 220 lbs. x 5 with dead lift for my work sets. With squats, though, that last set especially can be rough.

Also, can you think of any negatives when it comes to using one? I think there were some recommendations a couple of pages back, but if you can suggest any good belts, I'd appreciate it, too.

I just started about 6 months ago. It was based on what I thought I needed as my lifts got very heavy and hard.

SeanR1221

Starting 5/3/1 for squats again. Can I get a Form check at 225 for 5s week please.

http://youtu.be/jnDsyK-nkbc

Edit and how about my snatch grip DL today (265)

http://youtu.be/h61onC2rLtk

Not to bug but re posting for a new page. Any form tips?

Thanks!

Inzer and eliteFTS make good belts. I don't see a major negative but I'd say save it for your heavy/work sets. You're gonna find different philosophies on belts. I like using mine on my last work set to really push my stomach into it.

J. Bravo

Thanks!

I'm going to use on next week while attempting 460. Will be the first time using one for deadlift.

Cudder

Not to bug but re posting for a new page. Any form tips?
Your squats look good to me, good job hitting parallel on your reps.

On your dead, your back is much straighter than it was in the previous video you posted, so good job for that. Beyond that, I'll leave the in depth critique to others.

Noema

Starting 5/3/1 for squats again. Can I get a Form check at 225 for 5s week please.

http://youtu.be/jnDsyK-nkbc

These look good Sean! You should try to keep a more neutral head position throughout instead of staring at the mirror. It's probably killing your hip drive. Pick a spot about 4-6 feet in front of you (or the equivalent in the mirror) and try to fix your gaze there.

Also, it looks like you are bearing part of the load on your wrists. How do they feel after the heavier sets?

Otherwise they look really solid.

Alright guys, here are my 3 working sets of squats tonight. 3x5 @ 300lbs. There were definitely some sloppy reps on my 2nd and 3rd sets. :(

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Critique away.

Keep in mind that 5 months ago, my 1RM on Squats was 295lbs, and my attempted 1 rep of 305lbs failed. Progress!

These look damn good. You are getting real strong real fast. Are you still on linear progression?

Cudder

These look damn good. You are getting real strong real fast. Are you still on linear progression?

Appreciate it. I am, for the last 4 months now and still going up on all my lifts (though they are all getting very tough right about now.)

It's the first time I've done linear progression, and I couldn't be happier. I've busted through plateaus on all of my compounds. I've got a couple sets of OHP coming tonight when I get home from work.

Noema

video of 435

i was gonna try to get 2 more reps but on the way down I realized that wasn't going to happen tonight so thats why I dropped it at the knees instead of from the top.

The issue that I see here is that your back is way too horizontal before the pull. This turns your deadlift almost into
a Stiff-Legged Deadlift with less than ideal quad involvement, making it much harder than it should be:

TnSy6Zd.jpg

Notice how open the angle of your knees is compared to the really closed angle of your hips. In an ideal deadlift
setup, as you bend down to grab the bar, the hips are pulled back and dropped down to ensure hamstring tension
throughout, so the angle of the knees ends up being much more closed, leaving a lot of room for the quads to
contract on the way up:

1C0SaXg.jpg

The way you are set up makes me think that you are too close to the bar, thus your shins don't have much room
to move forward as you reach down to the bar, and you can't drop your hips properly.

Remember how Brolic keeps streesing that you should "pull the bar back into yourself"? That's a cue to ensure
that, as the bar is kept balanced over the midfoot, the hips keep the hamstrings tight as the quads extend the
knees so that you don't end up pulling the whole thing with your hips alone.

Also, don't forget to lock your knees at the top!

SeanR1221

Thanks for the input Noema! No wrist issues, but it's something to keep in mind when the weight gets heavier. Good tip about the head position. It sucks having a mirror right there :/. Really throws me off.

I think what I like the most, is for the first time in a while, I didn't have any discomfort in my lower back. I'm kicking myself for not opening my hips properly before. It's made all the difference in depth and straightening my back. I'm hoping for some big strength gains after this.

I'll be posting a conventional deadlift this Saturday.

Cudder

At this rate you'll be the next Cooter. Like
Noema said, just packing on strength. What made the difference for you?

I just started a linear progression "program" like Noema suggested a long while back, that's really all it was.

For 2 years I had been doing what I felt like in the gym (with some assistance from my dad, who used to lift years ago). I was making gains, though I suppose at a much slower rate than if I had done this from the start.

For the longest time, I would keep my working weight the same and aim to raise the amount of reps that I would do. For example, for months I would do 225lbs on my last working set of squats, and I kept doing that until I would get to my goal of 12 reps. It took a long time to get there. But like Noema told me before, just because you can do 12 reps of 225, doesn't mean you can rep 315. But if you can rep 315, you can probably pump out a bunch of reps at 225.

So, to summarize, I was basically aiming to increase my reps with the same working weight instead of increasing the weight.

rokkerkory

I just started a linear progression "program" like Noema suggested a long while back, that's really all it was.

For 2 years I had been doing what I felt like in the gym (with some assistance from my dad, who used to lift years ago). I was making gains, though I suppose at a much slower rate than if I had done this from the start.

For the longest time, I would keep my working weight the same and aim to raise the amount of reps that I would do. For example, for months I would do 225lbs on my last working set of squats, and I kept doing that until I would get to my goal of 12 reps. It took a long time to get there. But like Noema told me before, just because you can do 12 reps of 225, doesn't mean you can rep 315. But if you can rep 315, you can probably pump out a bunch of reps at 225.

So, to summarize, I was basically aiming to increase my reps with the same working weight instead of increasing the weight.

keep on lifting heavy then as much as possible, even if you do one rep

gonna do this

Husker86

Here are my 1st and 3rd OHP sets from this afternoon. 3x5 @ 150lbs. Never posted one of these before, so I'm interested in anyones take on my form.

Set 1
Set 3

I noticed you use your legs just a bit for each rep. Is that how you're supposed to do it? Honest question.

Speaking of OHP, successfully did 140 3x5 today. On Sunday I only got 4 reps on last working set at 135 so I'm surprised I was able to do a full 3 working sets today at 140.

Cudder

I noticed you use your legs just a bit for each rep. Is that how you're supposed to do it? Honest question.

Speaking of OHP, successfully did 140 3x5 today. On Sunday I only got 4 reps on last working set at 135 so I'm surprised I was able to do a full 3 working sets today at 140.
No, you're not. And I just noticed that as well in my videos. I actually try my hardest NOT to bounce my knees to help with the weight, I don't know how they're getting that little bounce in lol

Cudder

keep on lifting heavy then as much as possible, even if you do one rep

gonna do this
I wouldn't make your working sets one rep, if that's what you meant. 4-6 is a good range for strength. You can throw in a few high weight/single reps after you complete those.

Husker86

No, you're not. And I just noticed that as well in my videos. I actually try my hardest NOT to bounce my knees to help with the weight, I don't know how they're getting that little bounce in lol

Yeah, I should probably film myself too. I'm pretty sure I don't bounce, but I have a feeling I might be arching my back on the way up to engage my chest more.

Cooter

At this rate you'll be the next Cooter. Like
Noema said, just packing on strength. What made the difference for you?
Hey now! :)

Nice work Cudder. Don't worry about that slight bounce on OHP either. It's barely noticeable. Of course you aim for zero lower body movement but yours is so small it doesn't matter.

rage1973

My knee feels like complete shit today.
Hopefully it's just temporary pain and it feels tomorrow or I am going to have to deload completely on deadlifts. Just when I have finally worked up to respectable weights, this is depressing.

J. Bravo

The issue that I see here is that your back is way too horizontal before the pull. This turns your deadlift almost into
a Stiff-Legged Deadlift with less than ideal quad involvement, making it much harder than it should be:

http://i.imgur.com/TnSy6Zd.jpg/IMG]

Notice how open the angle of your knees is compared to the really closed angle of your hips. In an ideal deadlift
setup, as you bend down to grab the bar, the hips are pulled back and dropped down to ensure hamstring tension
throughout, so the angle of the knees ends up being much more closed, leaving a lot of room for the quads to
contract on the way up:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1C0SaXg.jpg[IMG]

The way you are set up makes me think that you are too close to the bar, thus your shins don't have much room
to move forward as you reach down to the bar, and you can't drop your hips properly.

Remember how Brolic keeps streesing that you should "pull the bar back into yourself"? That's a cue to ensure
that, as the bar is kept balanced over the midfoot, the hips keep the hamstrings tight as the quads extend the
knees so that you don't end up pulling the whole thing with your hips alone.

Also, don't forget to lock your knees at the top![/QUOTE]

thanks. that's funny because i was just giving my friend shit for not getting his hips low enough. i'll give that a try next week. i always thought i was low enough.

Kwixotik

I've started working out again because I realized that being a vegetable is a big part of why I feel like shit so often. Yesterday I went running on a hiking trail and climbed up a waterfall (kind of dangerously lol). Today I did the deck of cards workout and I'm probably going to do that every day except on Sundays and any day that I do something different (ie nature shit). Also been doing pull ups throughout the day.

My whole body hurts but I feel good about it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really feel like I might have 400 in 2 week for bench. I feel like I keep saying this though. Banged out 365 for 11 singles (accidentally did an extra set). Wasn't hard at all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here are my 1st and 3rd OHP sets from this afternoon. 3x5 @ 150lbs. Never posted one of these before, so I'm interested in anyones take on my form.

Set 1
Set 3

Too much leg. You're not quite but damn near doing a push press. Lock your knees and engage you glutes before initiating the movement. Keep your body tight.

SeanR1221

Too much leg. You're not quite but damn near doing a push press. Lock your knees and engage you glutes before initiating the movement. Keep your body tight.

I wish eliteFTS had a so you think you can press series.

Since you commonly press sumo wrestlers and mini coopers, are there form tip videos you recommend?

Set 1
Set 3

very nice, I feel like we don't see enought OHP vids in here, thats probably because everyone knows they can't compare to the Brolic and Cooter ones that get posted so most of us don't bother uploading. How much do you weigh again?

Irobot82

Good workout to end the week. A lot less sore than Monday. This was my first week back in the game.

3x5 Squat @ 195lbs
3x5 Bench @ 125lbs
3x5 OHP @ 85lbs

theytookourjobz

Started lifting again getting ready for a meet next month. I'm down a little bit weight so I'm now in the 85kg class and my lifts haven't gone down too much. Hoping to snatch 200ish and clean and jerk 240ish.

Here's a clean and jerk from last week at 205.

http://youtu.be/bnuB-bB376Y

This morning at Starbucks, someone commented that I look like I play football. This is the 4th time this has happened in a few weeks. I blame it on the Broncos playing this weekend so everyone is hyped for the game.

Feels good though man. Only day 5 into my cut. EZ BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Cooter

very nice, I feel like we don't see enought OHP vids in here, thats probably because everyone knows they can't compare to the Brolic and Cooter ones that get posted so most of us don't bother uploading. How much do you weigh again?
I'm honored to even be included in the same sentence as Brolic and OHP. Not worthy but still honored. I hope no one here is reluctant to post because of certain numbers others may have hit. We're all here for the same purpose and at different stages. I think I'll post a squat video next week. I haven't done that yet and would welcome the feedback.

Im about 1/2 through my first bulk (clean) as a forever cutter so I decided to give it a quick review.

Pros
-Feel strong
-Never hungry
-Muscles feel full
-Get to eat all the carbs
-Still feel lean but much "fuller" hard to describe these feels
-No stomach aches
-Still have facial aesthetics

Cons
-Still kinda bloated, but not in a bad way
-Have to go to the restroom much more frequently
-Veins are still there but not nearly as vascular
-Abs are not as visible
-Sometimes I feel fat and want to quit and just start cutting
-The thought of eating more oats, peanut butter and brown rice is starting to make me gag

Been an interesting experiment so far and glad I am going through with it because I have always quit about a week into a bulk. I have started this pretty slowly and kept adding in more calories every week and now my metabolism is faster than ever. I started in December 8th and plan to keep going until March 3rd. Started at about 160lbs and now I am fluctuating between 168-173.

That being said I can't wait to cut. I never thought that I would hate eating so much oatmeal in my life. When its all said and done, I would be happy with about 7-10lbs of lean muscle. I also dont see how anyone can go on such long bulks, I would get sick.

Also bulking is much harder than cutting on not only a physical, but mental level as well.

Go_Ly_Dow

New PR on bench. All thanks to that YouTube form video on contracting your shoulder blades back as you go down.

Can't believe its taken me this long to nail that.

SunnyVince had a question:

I need you to post for me brother in Fit-GAF. A pal of mine is having some hard times and turned to some bullshit... I want to help him out by buying something - is there ANYTHING even REMOTELY worth a shit here? my inclination is no, it's all trash - but if the brahs over in fit-gaf can find the least worthless thing I'll buy it. - http://www.advocare.com/products/performance_elite/P4422.aspx

I didn't get past that first "AdvoCare Muscle Fuel" product, but fuck, at $40+ dollars for 10 servings, it better do some magical fucking shit. I lift 3-4 days a week; it'd cost me ~$730 a year not including tax just to use that product. I could set-up most of a home gym for that price.

Cudder

Thanks, will try next week.

I'm about 220 atm.

SeanR1221

This morning at Starbucks, someone commented that I look like I play football. This is the 4th time this has happened in a few weeks. I blame it on the Broncos playing this weekend so everyone is hyped for the game.

Feels good though man. Only day 5 into my cut. EZ BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

One week into mine and I'm down 3 pounds. First time the scale has gone down in a while!

Thanks Sean. Your snatch grip DLs looked good from what I could see. Pushing the knees back well and you keep your back very flat.

Thanks! My lockout was a bit sloppy. Gotta visualize the ass slap at the top to squeeze my glutes and straighten my legs.

New PR on bench. All thanks to that YouTube form video on contracting your shoulder blades back as you go down.

Can't believe its taken me this long to nail that.

The best advice I ever heard was pretend someone is right up against you and you're pushing them away. You wouldn't push them away all loosey goosey and noodled armed. You'd flair your lats, keep your elbows tucked and push!

Drake

This is going to sound really dumb, but has anyone ever gotten shoulder pain from doing squats? My shoulder flexibility isn't the best and holding the bar behind my head was very uncomfortable. After a few week of doing squats I thought it would get better, but it really hasn't. I may have to take a break from doing squats until it feels better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom