• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gym is closing and there are no other good weight lifting gyms in my area. Fuck.

You can workout @ home, start a basic calisthenics routine, buy a pullup bar, hang it in the doorway and start doing pullups. If you're ceiling is high enough you can also do leg raises, throw in push ups, chairs for dips, plancks, up&downs, handstands, etc..

Start with beginner progressions and move up to more advanced moves, that's what I love about calisthenics, almost similar to moving more weight. Only thing I do in the gym is squat and deadlift once in a blue moon, everything upper body is bodyweight related now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I wish eliteFTS had a so you think you can press series.

Since you commonly press sumo wrestlers and mini coopers, are there form tip videos you recommend?

There are zero good videos for OHP that I'm aware of.

This is going to sound really dumb, but has anyone ever gotten shoulder pain from doing squats? My shoulder flexibility isn't the best and holding the bar behind my head was very uncomfortable. After a few week of doing squats I thought it would get better, but it really hasn't. I may have to take a break from doing squats until it feels better.
Pretty common actually. Try widening your grip. If it's really bad, you really might wanna take a break.

Be sure to work on your shoulder health.

SeanR1221

There are zero good videos for OHP that I'm aware of.

Pretty common actually. Try widening your grip. If it's really bad, you really might wanna take a break.

Be sure to work on your shoulder health.

Buying resistance bands and working in face pulls alleviated all my shoulder pain.

You should make a video :). I seriously feel like everything I watch throws out slightly different form techniques.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Buying resistance bands and working in face pulls alleviated all my shoulder pain.

You should make a video :). I seriously feel like everything I watch throws out slightly different form techniques.

I talk way too fast and recording it at my gym with my phone is a pain in the ass. I'd rather just type it out to be honest.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ughh hurt my rotator cuff I think. I was sore after my shoulder day and I kept poking at it and digging into my shoulder trying to see if I could work out a not... bad idea. Been stiff for a few days now.

Noema

Holy crap this thread.

indiana-jones-face-melt-o.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been a valuable poster! I've learned all of my lessons.

My fit month has been rough. Especially since January. Gym (which isn't large) has been flooded with people doing bodyweight exercises, I tripped over one. Ridiculous. I...I don't know what else to say. My gym partner, my brother, has decided to stop lifting and wants to strictly do cardio. I feel so alone.

I've always been a valuable poster! I've learned all of my lessons.

My fit month has been rough. Especially since January. Gym (which isn't large) has been flooded with people doing bodyweight exercises, I tripped over one. Ridiculous. I...I don't know what else to say. My gym partner, my brother, has decided to stop lifting and wants to strictly do cardio. I feel so alone.

07995eb97a008cb4f93be609caf52540.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Someone I haven't seen much of from my view over at the Island of Misfit Toys is DarthWufei - brah if you're there, how are you doing?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy you're back. I'm sad you're also feeling the resolutionist pain. Give it a few more weeks and we'll all be in the clear.

:) Also want to know how highluxury is holding up. Hope he's making it, cutting is TOUGH.

I don't mind the resolutionists except when they're doing that shit for show and disrespecting the place. I peeked into that other thread about it and boy people get vile quick.

I -did- however wonder who the people were that would come in and do leg extensions at 10lbs on the machines. Now I know.

Chocobro

Hey friends~

Vince! :D Welcome back man. Don't leave us like that again.

Hey guys, I need some help. Before going back to the gym on the 6th, I took a two week break. When I got back into the gym, I lowered the weights for all of my lifts because I felt I regressed a bit from the break, however I didn't do that for the DL (130lb) and I'm wondering if it was a bad idea. It was pretty rough last Wednesday and it felt worse this past Wednesday (at the same weight). Either it is too heavy for me at the moment or I lose majority of my energy by the time I get to the DLs.
- No harm in building it back up from a lower weight like I did for my other lifts?
- My friend said that going lower might not do anything and it might be that my lower back is shot by the time I get to the DLs; suggested to maybe start DLs first instead of last.
Suggestions?

Think I'll just go to a lower weight and build the DL back up to where I was before the break. "Bro, you squat more than you can DL. What's wrong with you?"
:(

On a brighter note, I completed 3x5x135lb squat on my first attempt, which is surprising. An older guy happened to watch me do them and he said, "Nice! Now that's dedication" after I grinded out the fifth rep on my first set. I currently weigh 133-135lb so I guess 1x BW. yay one plate.

sphinx

the piano man
Welcome Back Vince

and a tip to you guys, stay the hell away of all those shitty fitness threads appearing recently in the OT side, it really isn't worth it, save yourselves from a 1 month ban.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys I was thinking about getting back into running so I was looking to get a heart rate monitor since the one on my treadmill doesn't seem reliable at all..

anyone have any experience on these things for a good cheap ones that are comfortable? thanks!

Slixshot

Banned
Hey everyone (Hi sunny), I was perusing GAF and stumbled across this here community thread. I thought I might as well stop by and say hello.

A little bit about myself is that I've been working out for the past 5 or 6 years, since junior year of high school, and have changed my goals as time has gone on. I'm 5'8" and I weigh 150 lbs. Since the beginning of my junior year, I've put on 25 lbs of mostly muscle. I've had some ups and downs, dealing with eating disorders as well as over-exercising (which I suppose I still do, but to a lesser extent). Currently, I'm a senior in college, in my final semester. I'm a part time student studying business management and entrepreneurship, but I'll be getting my personal training license and nutritionist license online for the near future. Post college, I plan on becoming a spinning instructor to pay the bills.

I go to the gym twice a day 3/4 rotation. The first trip is for cardio and the second trip is for lifting. I do 2 exercises per body part and 2 body parts per day, 12,10,8,6,12 reps with increasing weight until the final 12 where I reuse the weight I used for 8 reps. It's the "body for life" repetition recommendation. As for the workouts, I do a variation of Stephen Amell's workout for the TV Show Arrow. Lucky for me, my college gym is huge and I have access to practically any machine I could ever want (graduating is going to suck).

Anyway, that's just a little about myself. I spend about 2 hours a day at the gym and have done so for quite some time. Hope to read some good stories/advice and maybe help others out while I'm at it. I'm all for making some new buddies.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone (Hi sunny), I was perusing GAF and stumbled across this here community thread. I thought I might as well stop by and say hello.

A little bit about myself is that I've been working out for the past 5 or 6 years, since junior year of high school, and have changed my goals as time has gone on. I'm 5'8" and I weigh 150 lbs. Since the beginning of my junior year, I've put on 25 lbs of mostly muscle. I've had some ups and downs, dealing with eating disorders as well as over-exercising (which I suppose I still do, but to a lesser extent). Currently, I'm a senior in college, in my final semester. I'm a part time student studying business management and entrepreneurship, but I'll be getting my personal training license and nutritionist license online for the near future. Post college, I plan on becoming a spinning instructor to pay the bills.

I go to the gym twice a day 3/4 rotation. The first trip is for cardio and the second trip is for lifting. I do 2 exercises per body part and 2 body parts per day, 12,10,8,6,12 reps with increasing weight until the final 12 where I reuse the weight I used for 8 reps. It's the "body for life" repetition recommendation. As for the workouts, I do a variation of Stephen Amell's workout for the TV Show Arrow. Lucky for me, my college gym is huge and I have access to practically any machine I could ever want (graduating is going to suck).

Anyway, that's just a little about myself. I spend about 2 hours a day at the gym and have done so for quite some time. Hope to read some good stories/advice and maybe help others out while I'm at it. I'm all for making some new buddies.

Hey buddy, glad you made it over. We're old pals from elsewhere.

What's your goal now though? stay where you are? Gain gain gain? cardio? What's your endgame brah

Zoe

hey guys I was thinking about getting back into running so I was looking to get a heart rate monitor since the one on my treadmill doesn't seem reliable at all..

anyone have any experience on these things for a good cheap ones that are comfortable? thanks!

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJJM25Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20
If it comes with the older strap that is grey on the inside though, I recommend buying the newer one as it's more comfortable.

rage1973

Read the first post in the thread and get back to us.

rage1973

I was able to do my normal deadlift of 3x5x340 without any knee pains today which is a great sign. Time to keep up on the linear gains train.

Slixshot

Banned
Hey buddy, glad you made it over. We're old pals from elsewhere.

What's your goal now though? stay where you are? Gain gain gain? cardio? What's your endgame brah

I'm pretty comfortable with the gains I've made over the past year. That being said, I'm going to have to increase my cardio again pretty soon. I actually need to tryout for this spinning instructor position and I want to be on top of my cycling game when I finally try out. Hopefully I can keep the muscle I've put on after the increase in cardio.

What? Where did you get the impression he was looking for advice?

Thanks. I was a little confused as to why I needed to reread the OP. I'm not requesting anything at the moment, just wanted to give myself an introduction.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty comfortable with the gains I've made over the past year. That being said, I'm going to have to increase my cardio again pretty soon. I actually need to tryout for this spinning instructor position and I want to be on top of my cycling game when I finally try out. Hopefully I can keep the muscle I've put on after the increase in cardio.

Thanks. I was a little confused as to why I needed to reread the OP. I'm not requesting anything at the moment, just wanted to give myself an introduction.

If you don't mind my asking, what weight did you start out at? Was your weight lifting goal mainly focusing on strength gains or just getting in better shape/aesthetics?

Slixshot

Banned
If you don't mind my asking, what weight did you start out at? Was your weight lifting goal mainly focusing on strength gains or just getting in better shape/aesthetics?

Started at 125 lbs. At that point I was running 16 miles a day. Stopped that and dropped the number of miles I run to 4 per day. Weigh 150 lbs. My initial reason to workout was for looks but over time I achieved the looks I wanted, so now it's just because it feels great.

J. Bravo

305 for 4 on squat. I will post the video later, because for some reason its my hardest lift and I can't get past 3 plates. Its even harder than bench.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet baby Jesus nobody in the gym on a Friday night! Time for the set to end all sets!!

Servbot24

Banned
Today was my first day at the gym in nearly year. Felt really good finally do more than push-ups at home. :p Here's me now:

photo2-1.jpg

This isn't a new year's resolution, it's just when I happened to have some money for a membership. That said I'm expecting to make a lot of progress by next year. My goal is to have moderately noticeable abs by July. Don't know if that's realistic but we'll see. I do eat properly and I bike 2 hours a day to go to work. I'm going to start swimming laps on the weekend too.

moocow

On a brighter note, I completed 3x5x135lb squat on my first attempt, which is surprising. An older guy happened to watch me do them and he said, "Nice! Now that's dedication" after I grinded out the fifth rep on my first set. I currently weigh 133-135lb so I guess 1x BW. yay one plate.

Congrats on the plate! The older outside members were always super supportive and helpful.

I had an older guy talk to me about my deadlift making too much noise today. I'm used to just dropping it from using bumper plates, so I think I need to start controlling its descent more.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
305 for 4 on squat. I will post the video later, because for some reason its my hardest lift and I can't get past 3 plates. Its even harder than bench.
Squatting is a lot about form and feeling comfortable. Give it time and it will shoot up.

Mik2121

Yikes... went sick for 3 days and was pretty much only eating fruit and drinking juice those days, and I went from 71kg to 68kg, and a few of my friends at the gym noticed it and told me I got a bit thinner. Gotta get those 3kg back and keep going.

Oh, and still doing Cooter's schedule, but it's been so hard to tell if it's working for me because I had overtime at the end of the month (last month), then I went to Spain for a week and a half and then I got sick 3 days. Still enjoy all the compound stuff, except perhaps 2 days of deadlifts sound like a bit too much to me, but I will go with it for now as I need back strength anyway (same as leg strength).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Today was my first day at the gym in nearly year. Felt really good finally do more than push-ups at home. :p Here's me now:

This isn't a new year's resolution, it's just when I happened to have some money for a membership. That said I'm expecting to make a lot of progress by next year. My goal is to have moderately noticeable abs by July. Don't know if that's realistic but we'll see. I do eat properly and I bike 2 hours a day to go to work. I'm going to start swimming laps on the weekend too.

Lookin' good! Got any before pics for comparison?

What kind of lifting program have you been on?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Squat looks pretty damn good to me! Here's something to think about.... what if you did a few sets a little faster? Test it out. I think it may improve your weight lifted and number of reps. Explosiveness is key! Training at various tempos is rewarding for me.

Chocobro

Congrats on the plate! The older outside members were always super supportive and helpful.

I had an older guy talk to me about my deadlift making too much noise today. I'm used to just dropping it from using bumper plates, so I think I need to start controlling its descent more.

Thanks!
What you experienced today is what I might have to adjust after I graduate this May. Everyone in the university gym just drops the weight when using bumper plates. Gonna have to take our surroundings into consideration sometime when going to new gyms.

Servbot24

Banned
Lookin' good! Got any before pics for comparison?

What kind of lifting program have you been on?

Thanks! Well here is me a year ago:

Then I had to move and I lost my home equipment so I've hardly done anything over the last year. So I've regressed a bit since then, but I hope to be closer to that mass but more defined by July. I'm going to start my first 2 months doing just basic, moderate lifting as I train for a half marathon. Then two months of bulking, then a month of intense cutting.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Here's my final set of videos for this week. Deadlifts, 3x5 @300lbs. Hope the angle is okay? Have at it.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Now I'm far from a deadlift expert, but I think you might be squatting a little too much at the start of your lift. Your hips seem to rise on every rep before you're able to pull, so maybe consider setting up from that position and avoid the unnecessary movement at the beginning?

Screenboy

What are the best exercises for forearms and biceps? Also does anyone know where the cheapest place to get omega 3 fish oil capsules and supplements? (UK based preferably, if not will look at US options).

Thanks

velociraptor

Why is a seated barbell shoulder press so much easier than a standing press? I did 40kg x 10 x 3 without much issue. I would not get this rep range if I was standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom