• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
No matter how far along we are in weight training we all enjoy seeing progress. Post those pics!
;_;

I will at some point. Delaying my start until next week because my arm is still sore (as is my shoulder, pulled my right deltoid something fierce two weeks ago), and I could do without hurting myself more.

I'm still going to go to the gym this week and do legs and core, though.

abcvita2012

Neo Member
GAF I need your help. Here are my details:

Height: 182cm around 5 feet 11.7 inches
Weight: 89-90 kg or around 195-198 lb
Goal: my goal is to have a weight around 80 kg with much less fat percentage ( i think im around 17-18%) also I want a muscular body (not big muscles I just want my body to look stretched with identifiable muscles)

Current Training Schedule: I'm not training now but I have access to the uni gym.
Current Training Equipment Available: A standard gym

Comments: that's it. I used to work out but that was years ago and it might look clear once you see my pic. Anyway there are so many things for working out plans in the OT but I didn't understand which one to follow.

Your help is appreciated.
http://img.dotphoto.com/i/f/A0108A86-91EE-4631-8CEE-67990F94B93C/267769905.jpg

i think I was around 87 kg when I took this pic.

FUME5

If you're not sure about quicker/explosive movements it's ok to leave them out entirely, you can still make good progress without them. In terms of deadlifts/squats and the lower back here's what I'd look into:
- Consult with a sports physio who has experience with lifting. If there's a black iron, weightlifting or university gym (with a sports focus) in your area they should be able to point you in the right direction.

- Make sure the squat form you're using allows you to keep your lower back properly extended throughout the range of motion. Low-bar squats place less torque on the lower back.

- A proper weightlifting belt will enable you to brace your core harder and provide greater support to your spinal column.

Thanks mate, I didn't think there was really anything to substitute for those.

And you better believe I'll be focused on form over weight!

I've been working out at the gym for 3-4 years. I'm 27. I just started MMA training recently. Been focusing on striking. My lower back, glutes and legs have been really sore in the days after class. I expect my glutes and legs to be sore. I just want to check that my lower back being sore is normal and not something I'm doing incorrectly. I'll talk to my instructor about it next class, but just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just looked at his post history. Nothing terrible.

Isn't that always the way?

Dumbbell flyes shredded my shoulders today. Even though last night was TRASH in the gym and I was fuckin miserable, I feel great today.

SeanR1221

Ghost attack? Wrist felt a little meh after snatch grip high pulls yesterday. Woke up and must have slept funny because it's pretty swollen :/

Icing and heating it now.

Petrie

Banned
I'm supposed to lift today but had a good amount of blood drawn this morning. Followed it up with McDonald's breakfast to help the body replace it.

Wonder if I'll still be up to it. Maybe do it after work instead of lunch. Probably just move it back to tomorrow though.

I'm supposed to lift today but had a good amount of blood drawn this morning. Followed it up with McDonald's breakfast to help the body replace it.

Wonder if I'll still be up to it. Maybe do it after work instead of lunch. Probably just move it back to tomorrow though.

I personally don't recommend heavy weight training within 12 hours of blood donations. I'd even go as far as to suggest you take the entire day off from it. No real science behind this, just seems like it isn't worth risking passing out over.

Powercast

I've been cutting for the last 8 weeks with a "high" carb diet ( around 300g/day and 500g on refeed days) and it feels great. I'm still getting stronger on my presses which is kinda weird since they always drop first when I'm on a caloric deficit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ghost attack? Wrist felt a little meh after snatch grip high pulls yesterday. Woke up and must have slept funny because it's pretty swollen :/

Icing and heating it now.

It's a scare!

W9aaxu5.jpg

Petrie

Banned
I personally don't recommend heavy weight training within 12 hours of blood donations. I'd even go as far as to suggest you take the entire day off from it. No real science behind this, just seems like it isn't worth risking passing out over.

Wasn't a donation, just regular blood work thanks to being diabetic, so they didn't take that much.

You're right though I should probably just skip today and catch up tomorrow.

cheated at the beginning, and upon watching the video don't think I locked out even though it felt like it...still counting it though.

Yeah, even a slight dip in the knees helps a lot in the OHP. I should probably test my max OHP too this weekend to see where I am at the moment. I'm probably around 170lb as well since I can hit 4 x 154 lb.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Wasn't a donation, just regular blood work thanks to being diabetic, so they didn't take that much.

You're right though I should probably just skip today and catch up tomorrow.

I almost passed out from giving three vials for blood tests two week ago. I had been carrying 25lbs bags up two three stories for four hours prior which was the likely cause. I quickly went home and devoured a couple burgers to regain my strenf after.

Darth injected himself with gamma radiation. He scares everyone. That is if you didn't know him. Use him as a resource like we all do!

No matter how far along we are in weight training we all enjoy seeing progress. Post those pics!
Duuuuuude. You're my inspiration man. You must've found my stash of gammas because the progress you've made lately is insane.

Everyone should throw out more pics along their journey. Even if it's Shogun bench pressing a Prius.

huxley00

Eating too much of anything can do it. However, the thing that is most likely to do it in the modern world seems to be is carbs/sugar. Breads and pasta and potato chips and crackers and such are way easier for most people to binge on than something like steak and lead to lower satiety so you eat more later.

This is essentially the crux of it, its pretty hard to overeat outside of sugars/carbs. They are physically addicting and often cause people to overeat like crazy. I know if I avoid sweets/easily digested carbs for several days, I don't really crave them at all. Once I start eating them with any regularity, I crave them and want them all the time. I always just try to go with the rule, if it comes from the ground and is unprocessed, pretty much eat as much of it as you want.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Duuuuuude. You're my inspiration man. You must've found my stash of gammas because the progress you've made lately is insane.

Everyone should throw out more pics along their journey. Even if it's Shogun bench pressing a Prius.
That totally blows my mind but thank you.

And you've got it all wrong. He OHPs a Prius, benches a Corolla, and DLs Escalades!

huxley00

So, I've had something somewhat strange going on. I had a serious injury that put me out for about 8 months. I had been lifting for two years before that (mostly starting strength). I finally went back to the gym and did some exercises that I hadn't touched in 8 months (bench, squat and deadlift) with low weight (about 135) and fairly high intensity. I went back yesterday and did the same thing. The past 3 nights, I've slept better than I've slept in about 8 months but I've been sweating like crazy. My girlfiriend gets home from work and my pillow is pretty drenched and I find myself just sleeping outside the covers the rest of the night.

I'm wondering if my body is just going through a major hormonal shift after such a large time of inactivity? I lost a good amount of muscle mass over that 8 months, I wonder if its just going into overdrive with some muscle memory and just pushing out testosterone like crazy? Not sure...

Zozobra

What is FitGAF's opinion on BCAAs?

Currently bulking, doing the SS novice program and my weights are definitely getting up there (for me). I'm already taking the supplements outlined in the OP, but I frequently see BCAAs mentioned and I thought I'd try them out.

Aside from whether or not you guys think they're worthwhile, one other thing I'm really not sure about is proper dosage. The back of the bottle says one 5g scoop per day; however, I see on the SS Forums in the supplement sticky it's recommended to take anywhere between 15g to ~30g a day, depending on if you're training. So what is it?

Cudder

I'm getting closer to the mindset of "fuck supplements" with every month that passes.

I haven't had a protein shake in 6 months. And just out of pure laziness I stopped taking my creatine and fish oil for the last little while too, and I'm still making incredible strength gains and am stronger than I ever have been. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll hop back on everything, but for now I'm enjoying not having to swallow a bunch of stuff multiple times a day.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm getting closer to the mindset of "fuck supplements" with every month that passes.

I haven't had a protein shake in 6 months. And just out of pure laziness I stopped taking my creatine and fish oil for the last little while too, and I'm still making incredible strength gains and am stronger than I ever have been. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll hop back on everything, but for now I'm enjoying not having to swallow a bunch of stuff multiple times a day.
This. I take whey and a multi. I don't see a need for all the other stuff. Whatever you're doing keep doing it Cudder. Out of everyone here I think you're showing the most progress at the moment. You are getting strong quick brotha!

Cudder

This. I take whey and a multi. I don't see a need for all the other stuff. Whatever you're doing keep doing it Cudder. Out of everyone here I think you're showing the most progress at the moment. You are getting strong quick brotha!
I appreciate the kind words!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I was just sore from those shoulder db flys, but my right shoulder is HURTING real bad. Man, I am worried. If I lose my shoulder...there's a lot I can't do :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Shogun warms up with a Prius.

You two are silly. My bench isn't even that impressive Abuc has a better bench. He's over 400.

If you eat enough they are a waste. However, it's not that they to "nothing" (whey,fishoil,Creatine) it's that they only do it a little. None of them is a magic bullet. If you want that get on a good prohormone stack or real anabolics.

Whey just makes up for food. Creatine just assists your Energy it MIGHT get you a few more reps and fishoil is a natural anti inflammatory. That's it.

Supplements definitely aren't mandatory and everything you need you can get from food. This isn't a secret at all.

I only take 2 servings of whey and Creatine every once in a while. Other than that it's fishoil vitamin d a multi and sometime magnesium.

I thought I was just sore from those shoulder db flys, but my right shoulder is HURTING real bad. Man, I am worried. If I lose my shoulder...there's a lot I can't do :(

You guys who complain about shoulders bother me.

I say it over and over and over again. Are you doing band pull parts? External rotations? Face pulls? Hitting rear delts like mad? Shoulder dislocations?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So as far as being sick/ getting over a cold and flu/ what's the general rule of thumb on when I can pick work outs back up? I'm not if there is one, I just don't want to start up again only to crash really hard because I wasn't healthy enough to start.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So as far as being sick/ getting over a cold and flu/ what's the general rule of thumb on when I can pick work outs back up? I'm not if there is one, I just don't want to start up again only to crash really hard because I wasn't healthy enough to start.

IMO if you're not contagious, light headed, and leaking everywhere. Go.

When you get there play it by ear because your body is already stressed from illness, so don't overdo it. (That's not license to be a bitch though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys who complain about shoulders bother me.

I say it over and over and over again. Are you doing band pull parts? External rotations? Face pulls? Hitting rear delts like mad? Shoulder dislocations?

No band pull aparts. Need to do external rotations. Not hitting rear delts like mad. I had a torn rotator cuff about ten years ago and sometimes I overdo it and shit just doesn't feel right. I need to go back to the drawing board with my shoulder work.

EDIT: For dick's sake, I have a lot to fix here. I'll stfu and get educated more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No band pull aparts. Need to do external rotations. Not hitting rear delts like mad. I had a torn rotator cuff about ten years ago and sometimes I overdo it and shit just doesn't feel right. I need to go back to the drawing board with my shoulder work.

Never torn mine but I'm sure I came close. My right shoulder was a complete wreck before I did these. Now I do them religiously and shits fine. Also my rear delts are awesom which makes you shoulders, back, traps look better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Never torn mine but I'm sure I came close. My right shoulder was a complete wreck before I did these. Now I do them religiously and shits fine. Also my rear delts are awesom which makes you shoulders, back, traps look better.

Definitely going to look more into this. Been feeling the itch for bigger shoulder peaks, and I done fucked it up! Thanks for the advice Sho.

I don't have shoulder issues, but on a related note I actually get forearm pains very frequently and haven't done anything about it. It only flares up if I do heavy curls. It never lasts for more than a few seconds and never shows up outside of those few seconds.

I really haven't looked into it. You guys have any ideas?

Noema

Jason Blaha on the value of Squats over every other exercise you could ever do.

Good video; it basically echoes what Rippetoe says about squats: for a bipedal creature, the most effective form of training will be the act of strengthening your ability to transfer the force generated by your legs and glutes (specifically the 'posterior chain', which incidentally contains the highest percentage, gram per gram, of muscle in the human body) through your torso. It's a pity most people are so misinformed and think of squats as just 'a leg exercise'.

Petrie

Banned
I don't have shoulder issues, but on a related note I actually get forearm pains very frequently and haven't done anything about it. It only flares up if I do heavy curls. It never lasts for more than a few seconds and never shows up outside of those few seconds.

Happens to me on curls as well. No idea why.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Used to get it with heavy bench, it just stopped for some reason. The only thing I changed was using wrist wraps. So either the bone got mor dense or the wraps took stress off the bone/tendons. Perhaps try that?

I assume you're not just talking about sore forearms but actual pain.

I was going through the paces of learning how to do a snatch lift properly last night... holy crap, even with ten lb. bumper plates on each side I had very, very little success. That lift is impossible if you haven't been working on your shoulder mobility. Christ!

any of you guys workout early in the morning (ie 5am), and how does/did your body respond?

i assume it's a personal preference, but some quick googling suggests performance might not be peak early in the am. i'm seeing things like greater risk of injury do to excess spinal fluid built up while sleeping, lower body temperature, you should wait 60 minutes after waking up to lift, etc. i just kind of envision myself rolling out of bed at 440, getting dressed, dumping some protein powder into a shaker and getting to the gym at 5. back home to walk the dogs and get ready for work at 6.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
any of you guys workout early in the morning (ie 5am), and how does/did your body respond?

i assume it's a personal preference, but some quick googling suggests performance might not be peak early in the am. i'm seeing things like greater risk of injury do to excess spinal fluid built up while sleeping, lower body temperature, you should wait 60 minutes after waking up to lift, etc. i just kind of envision myself rolling out of bed at 440, getting dressed, dumping some protein powder into a shaker and getting to the gym at 5. back home to walk the dogs and get ready for work at 6.

That sounds absolutely miserable in every way.

Cudder

If you want to go to bed at 8pm everyday that sounds fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom