• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

any of you guys workout early in the morning (ie 5am), and how does/did your body respond?

i assume it's a personal preference, but some quick googling suggests performance might not be peak early in the am. i'm seeing things like greater risk of injury do to excess spinal fluid built up while sleeping, lower body temperature, you should wait 60 minutes after waking up to lift, etc. i just kind of envision myself rolling out of bed at 440, getting dressed, dumping some protein powder into a shaker and getting to the gym at 5. back home to walk the dogs and get ready for work at 6.

Sounds like hell except worse because you have to squat at 5AM.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
any of you guys workout early in the morning (ie 5am), and how does/did your body respond?

i assume it's a personal preference, but some quick googling suggests performance might not be peak early in the am. i'm seeing things like greater risk of injury do to excess spinal fluid built up while sleeping, lower body temperature, you should wait 60 minutes after waking up to lift, etc. i just kind of envision myself rolling out of bed at 440, getting dressed, dumping some protein powder into a shaker and getting to the gym at 5. back home to walk the dogs and get ready for work at 6.

Is the evening/night time not an option?

That sounds like the worst thing in the world, honestly. Cortisol levels are highest a bit after waking, so your body is already stressed enough just from sleeping. I couldn't imagine lifting heavy 20 - 30 minutes after waking up.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

I've done it. Woke up at 4:45 and was lifting by 5:10. It really sucks at first but when you get going it's fine. It depends on the exercises you're working. Early a.m. DLs suck and will suffer. This much I know. I imagine squats would too but I've never done them super early.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sounds like hell except worse because you have to squat at 5AM.

Better than doing it after work. I hate that shit.

Pretty much. I'd never roll straight into the gym after waking up. I'd spend at least an hour preparing before going. Even when I go early in the AM (it's been months) I do this. Then when I got there I'd do an extended warm up including walking for a bit.

If you want to go to bed at 8pm everyday that sounds fine.

It's not that bad. Especially if you're already married and have a routine. I have an awesome wife though. She lets me do me. It's not unusual for me to sleep 9-11 hours on days I went a little too hard at the gym.

I sleep a shit ton when I can. This is the biggest reason I think I'm as strong as I am.

Personally I can't pull off working out that early, but I think its nice to get the gym out of the way so early if you can do it

yeah, i'd probably only be getting like 6-7 hours of sleep the night before a workout. and yeah, i would be squatting and DL'ing at 5am. my SI joint is usually stiff when i wake up, i guess i could warmup by layering up and jogging over to the gym, it's literally across the street in a large plaza from where i live.

i just got a promotion and am now exempt (fucking double edged sword if there ever was one), so my work hours have skyrocketed recently. it's cutting into time after work with my gf, our dogs, daily priorities, unexpected responsibilities etc..you know, the mental and emotional stuff that makes us happy too.

sounds like my lifts are going to suffer, but it would just feel great to get a focused 45-60 min workout in at an empty gym to start off the day.

i thought testosterone levels were high in the morning (ie morning wood)?

Van Owen

Banned
I used to lift early in the morning, and I enjoyed it. But winter rolls around, and I can't get the fuck out of bed when it's 0 degrees outside.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Where I derive my strength. Dat beard.

1620496_10203106869343581_1879896850_n.jpg

Nelo Ice

Banned
IMO if you're not contagious, light headed, and leaking everywhere. Go.

When you get there play it by ear because your body is already stressed from illness, so don't overdo it. (That's not license to be a bitch though.

This stupid cold has kept me out of the gym for 3 weeks. Granted I've attempted to do my normal 5/3/1 routine at least once a week and it was OHP day every time but I basically could not do the workout properly. As in I basically had no energy to do much or was just coughing like crazy. I had to resort to push pressing to even get reps out on early sets and my 10 rep sets were even worse. I'm still coughing now but I'm feeling a somewhat healthy for the first time in awhile. Hoping I can get back to my 5/3/1 routine next month though I'm guessing I'll have to dial it back since I won't be able to do the weight I was going to go for this cycle.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I don't have shoulder issues, but on a related note I actually get forearm pains very frequently and haven't done anything about it. It only flares up if I do heavy curls. It never lasts for more than a few seconds and never shows up outside of those few seconds.

I really haven't looked into it. You guys have any ideas?

Muscle or bone pain? It could be the ulna flexing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This stupid cold has kept me out of the gym for 3 weeks. Granted I've attempted to do my normal 5/3/1 routine at least once a week and it was OHP day every time but I basically could not do the workout properly. As in I basically had no energy to do much or was just coughing like crazy. I had to resort to push pressing to even get reps out on early sets and my 10 rep sets were even worse. I'm still coughing now but I'm feeling a somewhat healthy for the first time in awhile. Hoping I can get back to my 5/3/1 routine next month though I'm guessing I'll have to dial it back since I won't be able to do the weight I was going to go for this cycle.

3 weeks? I'd see a doctor.

Nelo Ice

Banned
3 weeks? I'd see a doctor.

Well technically I don't have insurance since I'm planning on cancelling my current one since the price went up $100+ and I'll just probably get a new one through the health care exchange. With that said I don't exactly feel weak or lightheaded anymore. The cough is the only thing still persisting. All I know is I should have just listened to myself and taken medicine daily or whenever I needed to. I took it for a few days but I decided no I'm going to give my nursing student sister the benefit of the doubt and listen to her advice of just drinking water and sleeping. Which is probably why it's taken me longer than usual to recover.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well technically I don't have insurance since I'm planning on cancelling my current one since the price went up $100+ and I'll just probably get a new one through the health care exchange. With that said I don't exactly feel weak or lightheaded anymore. The cough is the only thing still persisting. All I know is I should have just listened to myself and taken medicine daily or whenever I needed to. I took it for a few days but I decided no I'm going to give my nursing student sister the benefit of the doubt and listen to her advice of just drinking water and sleeping. Which is probably why it's taken me longer than usual to recover.

Do you live in a cold climate? Do you have a humidifier? It helps a ton.

Brolic, I'm coming for your beard and your gains

jTxv5Nj.jpg

JK, please don't beat me up

Come at me bro.

You can definitely grow a better mustache than I can!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Do you live in a cold climate? Do you have a humidifier? It helps a ton.

Nah, I live in California. It's actually pretty warm atm too. I don't have a humidifier. Really hoping I'll be fully recovered next week since it sucks not being able to work out properly. I'm starting to feel lethargic again like when I wasn't actively working out. Also being sick killed my appetite though this week I've been able to eat normally for once.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nah, I live in California. It's actually pretty warm atm too. I don't have a humidifier. Really hoping I'll be fully recovered next week since it sucks not being able to work out properly. I'm starting to feel lethargic again like when I wasn't actively working out. Also being sick killed my appetite though this week I've been able to eat normally for once.

His is when making shakes is essential. Drinking calories is easy even when you have no appetite.

Cooper

My usual workout is at 5:30 AM, though I sometimes do 7 or 8 AM on weekends. It's pretty much the only time I can regularly make, since I know I'll be too tired in the evening.

It's different for everyone, but so far the time hasn't been a problem. I tend to go to bed around 9 or 9:30, usually because I'm worn out by the time I put the kids to bed. I did the SS protocol from about June last year to December, and I now just finished the second month's 5 week in 5/3/1.

There are some advantages to an early workout. The equipment's pretty much always free, and it's usually the same small group of people. Maybe it's not physiologically optimal, but it's certainly better than no workout.

sphinx

the piano man
well, I went to my OHP sets hoping for a 3x4 115 lbs weight but I must sadly say, it didn't happen and instead it was 3x3, but I'll keep working towards getting more reps out of that. I have to get used to that weight,

near the end of the week I am feeling a bit exhausted before I even start anything so I hope that with better sleep and more relaxed days (I have a shitton to do at work right now) it will improve.

and yeah, agreed with everyone saying life is miserable going to the gym at 5 AM... never once in my life.

My usual workout is at 5:30 AM, though I sometimes do 7 or 8 AM on weekends. It's pretty much the only time I can regularly make, since I know I'll be too tired in the evening.

It's different for everyone, but so far the time hasn't been a problem. I tend to go to bed around 9 or 9:30, usually because I'm worn out by the time I put the kids to bed. I did the SS protocol from about June last year to December, and I now just finished the second month's 5 week in 5/3/1.

There are some advantages to an early workout. The equipment's pretty much always free, and it's usually the same small group of people. Maybe it's not physiologically optimal, but it's certainly better than no workout.

it's reassuring to know you've done SS and 5/3/1. i'm going to give it a shot next week, to see how much of a difference it makes for my SI joint in the morning. i am in no way excited to do this, but i really don't have any other regular time to get to the gym after work.

also, i'm 28 years old and I've gotten carded for a rated R movie as recent as last thanksgiving. dem asian genes.

Cooter

I reach behind to scratch my lower back while looking in the mirror today and saw my shoulder/arm vein! Haven't seen that in months. Things are happening!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok guys can any of yall estimate my bf percentage by this pic? Appreciate it

1DDCA68A-EBD7-480C-8F2C-DC327A02BFFC_zpscihg2fmk.jpg

I'd estimate it like this.

You're completely untrained. Worry less about body fat percentage and more on strength training. Losing weight at your build would make you look frail, weak, and sick.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but to me, your question is off base anyway. His may make me an asshole, and if so, I'm sorry.

I'd estimate it like this.

You're completely untrained. Worry less about body fat percentage and more on strength training. Losing weight at your build would make you look frail, weak, and sick.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but to me, your question is off base anyway. His may make me an asshole, and if so, I'm sorry.
No worries man. I know my muscle mass isnt that great that's why I totally agree with everyone that i should do SS. I've been misinformed in the past about hypertrophy by muscle confusion and other brosciences..... I just was curious since some guys posted that they can guesstimate bf percentages by pics

Cudder

I got my Bachelor's degree in 2001 and have worked full time since then. I got hired at a new company in May last year, and everyone at the office was asking me if I was a Summer intern. :( I even have grey hairs!

Cooper, Cudder, Cooter, we need more names like this ppl.

I'd guess north of 20, but yeah, do SS.
Def gonna ditch this beachbody shit to do SS

Is a spotter required though??? I've done squats, DLs, bench presses before (prob with bad form) so I know basic mechanics plus I'm reading the SS book but I guess I'm kinda scared of moving barbell weight like this especially with power cleans

sphinx

the piano man
Cooper, Cudder, Cooter, we need more names like this ppl.

someone has to come up a tongue-twister with those and other similar words.

could your pelase elaborate on this? did you get advice from the other thread?

what exactly went wrong? I am really curious about that.

I am VERY skeptical of those "get that dream body in 3 months!! buy our 20 DVDs!! just $ 20 bucks each! a bargain!!" programs.

and I think you are around 19-20 BF, it looks like more because you don't look trained, making it look flabbier, but I don't think it's that bad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Is a spotter required though??? I've done squats, DLs, bench presses before (prob with bad form) so I know basic mechanics plus I'm reading the SS book but I guess I'm kinda scared of moving barbell weight like this especially with power cleans

No, and if you feel wary just bench in the power rack with safety pins up.

Personally I'd ditch power cleans. Never did them and I'm strong enough.

Cudder

A beachbody is not attainable if you don't have a good foundation. You won't need a spotter. I don't know how strong/weak you are, but you probably have months of lifting under SS ahead of you until you actually struggle with weight. Lifting, eating, and sleeping is all you need to worry about right now.

Help needed. I'm looking for an Android app that let's me save my current routine and give me notifications on the days I'm doing that routine. I may try punching it into my Callender.

Cooter

Team C***er!

Did some low weight face pulls tonight. Felt great and I'm definitely adding them to the beginning of shoulder and chest days.

EDIT: Oh, also focused on squeezing my glutes today during OHP. Help a lot! Thanks for the tip Brolic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom