• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd estimate it like this.

You're completely untrained. Worry less about body fat percentage and more on strength training. Losing weight at your build would make you look frail, weak, and sick.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but to me, your question is off base anyway. His may make me an asshole, and if so, I'm sorry.

No I think you're totally right. I was in the same boat (but way fatter) 1.5 years ago. It doesn't help to worry about BF% right now. Just lift and start eating healthy, give it six months and then revaluate.

Used to get it with heavy bench, it just stopped for some reason. The only thing I changed was using wrist wraps. So either the bone got mor dense or the wraps took stress off the bone/tendons. Perhaps try that?

I assume you're not just talking about sore forearms but actual pain.
Yup, now that you mention it. I do get it occasionally on bench. That very sharp, wincing, pain, I think it has something to do with the grip. Sometimes after a set of curls when I put the weight down I'll keep the grip for a few seconds and i seems to help the pain. I'll have to dick around and see.

Cudder, you're looking great bud.

I-hate-u

Can you folks recommend me some clean, healthy and cheap protiens based foods/drinks to add to my diet?

I want to hit that 250 grams echelon without going bankrupt.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Team C***er!

Did some low weight face pulls tonight. Felt great and I'm definitely adding them to the beginning of shoulder and chest days.

EDIT: Oh, also focused on squeezing my glutes today during OHP. Help a lot! Thanks for the tip Brolic!

No prob man, it also ensures you don't cheat. I always warm up with face pulls and external rotations, the key is to just do enough to warm up so it doesn't effect the main work. After that I typically go bonkers on it in between assistance work if I feel like it.

Yup, now that you mention it. I do get it occasionally on bench. That very sharp, wincing, pain, I think it has something to do with the grip. Sometimes after a set of curls when I put the weight down I'll keep the grip for a few seconds and i seems to help the pain. I'll have to dick around and see.

Yep, exactly what was happening with me. And I did the same thing with very slowly releasing pressure to prevent the pain.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Def gonna ditch this beachbody shit to do SS

Is a spotter required though??? I've done squats, DLs, bench presses before (prob with bad form) so I know basic mechanics plus I'm reading the SS book but I guess I'm kinda scared of moving barbell weight like this especially with power cleans

I was too scared to try power cleans without someone there to show me the proper form. No amount of YouTubing that stuff can make me confident.

Instead, I just alternate the following:

A:

Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

B:

Squats
Overhead Press
Deadlift

Cudder

Damn Cudder lookin real swole in your pic.

Thanks guys. That pic was snapped almost 6 months ago! Also, I would hope a pic in optimal lighting, with an instagram filter and squished to that tiny resolution would look semi decent, lmao.

SeanR1221

I was too scared to try power cleans without someone there to show me the proper form. No amount of YouTubing that stuff can make me confident.

A:

Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

B:

Squats
Overhead Press
Deadlift

Could also do pendlay rows instead of cleans.

SeanR1221

You guys we've mix chocolate whey into coffee? Taste like hot chocolate.

Just make sure you don't add really hot coffee or the whey will clump.

iddqd

It's 22pm and I'm hungry again. I will have to be up until 2am to finish some work, can I eat anything and still try to lose fat?
Nuts? Some peanut butter? A banana?

I want to start cutting like some guys here but this night work and my sweet tooth are fucking it up.

Especially after a heavy squat day, I can not stop eating on those days.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's 22pm and I'm hungry again. I will have to be up until 2am to finish some work, can I eat anything and still try to lose fat?
Nuts? Some peanut butter? A banana?

I want to start cutting like some guys here but this night work and my sweet tooth are fucking it up.

Especially after a heavy squat day, I can not stop eating on those days.

Eat some fat and protein. You'll be fine.

Honestly, the lack of sleep/irregular sleep is probably going to fuck you up more than a small snack.

Husker86

I think I hurt a tendon or something when I did 225x3 (most I've ever done with 2 plates) on Sunday. It hurts right near my elbow on the back of my arm. Went away a bit but I can feel it while benching right now. Is it smart to take it easy in these cases?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think I hurt a tendon or something when I did 225x3 (most I've ever done with 2 plates) on Sunday. It hurts right near my elbow on the back of my arm. Went away a bit but I can feel it while benching right now. Is it smart to take it easy in these cases?

Probably elbow tendinitis. And yeah you need to watch it.

Noema

A:

Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

B:

Squats
Overhead Press
Deadlift

Deadlifting 3 times a week might work for a while, but as soon as the weight starts getting heavy it's gonna be too much.

iddqd

Eat some fat and protein. You'll be fine.

Honestly, the lack of sleep/irregular sleep is probably going to fuck you up more than a small snack.

Thanks, I'm gonna follow some advice from earlier here and get cottage cheese and fish cans tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadlifting 3 times a week might work for a while, but as soon as the weight starts getting heavy it's gonna be too much.

Yeah, I know. I'm still not lifting anything too heavy, though.

Once I get to around 300 lbs. or so, I'll probably drop the frequency depending on my body responds.

rage1973

20 rep squats are no joke.
I almost passed out after I did one at 185 lbs.
I could feel getting light headed and had to sit down and drink some water.
Hopefully I can get up to 225lbs at 20 reps.

20 rep squats are no joke.
I almost passed out after I did one at 185 lbs.
I could feel getting light headed and had to sit down and drink some water.
Hopefully I can get up to 225lbs at 20 reps.

Feel you man. I did a program for about 4 weeks where it was varying reps of back squats and front squats back to back. So it looked like this:

75% of your front squat max: 13 reps, then immediately switch to high bar back squat and do 6 reps. 5 sets.

I almost threw up a few times.

On another note, I'm putting chocolate whey in my coffee tomorrow. But if it taste like shit, I'm gonna be pissed.

rage1973

Feel you man. I did a program for about 4 weeks where it was varying reps of back squats and front squats back to back. So it looked like this:

75% of your front squat max: 13 reps, then immediately switch to high bar back squat and do 6 reps. 5 sets.

On another note, I'm putting chocolate whey in my coffee tomorrow. But if it taste like shit, I'm gonna be pissed.

Try making some bulletproof coffee.

For me I am working my way back from an ACL replacement surgery and just started with the bar and increased it 2.5 lbs each workout. It felt way too easy on my muscles so I have been doing 20 reps to make it a bit harder. Hopefully I can just keep using linear gains to get up to previous workout weight of 335 and eventually reach my goal of 400 lbs 1rm.

For me I am working my way back from an ACL replacement surgery and just started with the bar and increased it 2.5 lbs each workout. It felt way too easy on my muscles so I have been doing 20 reps to make it a bit harder. Hopefully I can just keep using linear gains to get up to previous workout weight of 335 and eventually reach my goal of 400 lbs 1rm.

You'll get there man! I was squatting 185# a 1.5 years ago, I was really weak and had barely lifted weights. I started focusing on it a lot more and now I'm at a 375# HBBS. Hope to hit 425# this year while dropping about 15# bodyweight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Something about that guy's marketing style irks me. The whole terminology of "biohacking" just comes across as extremely dumb.

Regardless, adding coconut oil/cream and protein powder to your morning coffee can be quite nice.

rage1973

Something about that guy's marketing style irks me.

Regardless, adding coconut oil/cream and protein powder to your morning coffee can be quite nice.

He seems way out there on lot of the things he does but listening to him talk about it got me actually thinking about trying some Provigil as a smart drug.

SeanR1221

Dude.... this is how I make all my shakes. Coffee and choco whey.

Welcome to the light.

*high-five*

Just make sure it's not hot or else you're gonna be chewing your whey :)

This is my unattainable dream:

j8vp2zww.gif

Ga1amoth

Neo Member
Hi GAF! First post here from a long-time lurker. Anywho, I was wondering if anybody has any familiarity with German Volume Training? I have heard great things about it's ability to put on mass but would like some first hand impressions. Thanks!

There is no exercise more terrifying to me.

I find it very difficult to hurt yourself during a snatch (I know people have, there was a big one a few weeks ago). Overall though it doesn't take much to just push it a little forward or back and bail. I do them 5x a week and I've never run into an issue.

rage1973

I find it very difficult to hurt yourself during a snatch (I know people have, there was a big one a few weeks ago). Overall though it doesn't take much to just push it a little forward or back and bail. I do them 5x a week and I've never run into an issue.

That crossfitter guy snapped his vertebrae doing the snatch.
I saw the video and it didn't appear too abnormal so it must have been a freak accident.

I saw the video and it didn't appear too abnormal so it must have been a freak accident.

Lots of factors.

Definitely freak. He had just run (a lot!). He didn't bail properly.

That said, it could happen to anyone, but so could a lot of things. It's definitely rare though.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
saw the video and it didn't appear too abnormal so it must have been a freak accident.

Wasn't that because the bar bounced off something near the wall and rolled back into his spine as he fell backwards? Not exactly typical.

This is my unattainable dream:

j8vp2zww.gif
Man he just stays over that bar until the last moment. Saw some notes from a seminar he did recently and that was one of the things he emphasised.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know how you can build between 0.25 and 0.5 lbs. of muscle per week? I used to be bummed about hearing that since it seemed like a small amount. But today while I was making my sandwiches, I pick up a package of bologna that weighed a pound, and then I imagined that spread throughout your body, and came to the realization that that's actually not that bad. And if you're one of those lucky mofos who can do 2 lbs. in a month? That's a lot of meat!

So, I was thumbing through old pictures for motivation and I never really realized just how much muscle I've gained. When I first lost all my weight, I was athletic, but actually on the slimmer side and along the way to today managed to pack on about 20lbs of lean mass. I don't really see the difference in my head, but the pictures say a lot.

This one me few months after recovering from my pulmonary embolism. It was maybe my second cut in which I cut down using a keto diet. Keep in mind I did lose a lot of mass from recovery (I didn't lift for half a year).

And here's me on my last cut, which I've shown before. I know there's a lot of other factors, lighting, stance, condition it was taken (post workout vs I don't remember).

Motivates me to hit it even harder really. Though I'm still not sure where I want to go. I feel like I've reached my ideal, but part of my still wants more. Strength, size, definition, etc. I'm kinda rambling, but I dunno what I want to do still lol.

I really haven't made as much progress lately. Simply because I've been mulling about, battling depression, and just not sure what goals to set.

sphinx

the piano man
This one me few months after recovering from my pulmonary embolism. It was maybe my second cut in which I cut down using a keto diet. Keep in mind I did lose a lot of mass from recovery (I didn't lift for half a year).

wow... man, you went through a pulmonay embolism. it's great to know it's in the past now.

respect x1000 for you.

I really haven't made as much progress lately. Simply because I've been mulling about, battling depression, and just not sure what goals to set.

this will probably not solve your problems... but like they say "some food for thought" here

Maybe it's the people and the things around you that make the difference at this point. when I was a novice learning the piano I knew I still had lots to learn and everything was new so I went balls out with it for years, but after that it's like... "now what?" well, I learned that finding like-minded people (musicians) made a difference, sharing what you've done and learned through the years, getting new ideas, new impressions, or simply sharing.

that's why I hope I can find more friends that are into this the way I am. I like to talk about this with my current friends but there's too much "compounds are hard/will hurt me" and Mike chang following for me to consider sharing much with them.

and I definitely require my future partner to be into this, I don't care whether they play video games, they like the piano or beethoven or they know anything about figure skating, but I absolutely want to share this part of my life with my life partner, first because I need a spot on bench lol but second because I need someone who impluses me and sees the value in it,

I don't need a motherfucker at home telling me "yes baby, go train, I'll wait for you here and take care of the TV watching american idol eating pizza&coke"

SeanR1221

So, I was thumbing through old pictures for motivation and I never really realized just how much muscle I've gained. When I first lost all my weight, I was athletic, but actually on the slimmer side and along the way to today managed to pack on about 20lbs of lean mass. I don't really see the difference in my head, but the pictures say a lot.

And here's me on my last cut, which I've shown before. I know there's a lot of other factors, lighting, stance, condition it was taken (post workout vs I don't remember).

Motivates me to hit it even harder really. Though I'm still not sure where I want to go. I feel like I've reached my ideal, but part of my still wants more. Strength, size, definition, etc. I'm kinda rambling, but I dunno what I want to do still lol.

Really fantastic progress.

And I don't know what you're going through in your personal life, but just remember you always have a support group here if you need people to turn to :)

ILoveBish

Darth, if it makes you feel any better, someone on irc posted your pic from gaf, and you're the reason i discovered fitgaf and changed my life. I signed up to gaf just to join this community because you're a part of it. Keep it up, you inspire more then you know.

I've been through some real stress lately, having to move soon and havent found a new place yet, its caused me to go to the gym so rarely. I finished my 4th strait 5/3/1 session and made gains on all 4 sessions, now i started my 5th and on my last rep on last set of OHP, i got half way and kinda tweaked my right shoulder/back a bit. I put the barbell down, waited 20 sec, tried again but couldnt do it. I waited 2 min and got the 5th rep, but it doesn't count since i didnt do it all strait back to back. Im going to continue on and not redo it because i know its from the stress and having my focus not be 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom