• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Sphinx, it would definitely be a good idea to find someone into fitness. Doesn't even have to be compounds, any general fitness would keep you guys on the same page.

I like how my wife is getting stronger and pushing herself. Here she is testing her 1rm on deadlift a couple days ago (165lbs and she weighs 120lbs)

http://youtu.be/7CXUMJto6oc

Szu

Sphinx, it would definitely be a good idea to find someone into fitness. Doesn't even have to be compounds, any general fitness would keep you guys on the same page.

I like how my wife is getting stronger and pushing herself. Here she is testing her 1rm on deadlift a couple days ago (165lbs and she weighs 120lbs)

http://youtu.be/7CXUMJto6oc

Awesome and the little shake before the lift was pretty cute.

Szu

MD4pA5N.gif

This is mesmerizing.

Yeah she's coming a long way. Very consistent with her training too.

---

http://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-front-squat-with-straps

I started doing this last week. I find it a lot easier to front squat and I can really keep my delts up during the lift.

Nice. IMO, this is a good stop gap, but I really encourage people to work on their flexibility as well to hopefully get to the point where using straps doesn't really matter.

Then again, I'm an olympic lifter so I'm bias.

Stannis

Lifting and conditioning this week without getting much sleep has really taken it's toll, I look like I've aged about 5 years. I cannot wait for this weekend where I shan't be leaving my bed or the couch for anything other than food related endeavours.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So, I was thumbing through old pictures for motivation and I never really realized just how much muscle I've gained. When I first lost all my weight, I was athletic, but actually on the slimmer side and along the way to today managed to pack on about 20lbs of lean mass. I don't really see the difference in my head, but the pictures say a lot.

This one me few months after recovering from my pulmonary embolism. It was maybe my second cut in which I cut down using a keto diet. Keep in mind I did lose a lot of mass from recovery (I didn't lift for half a year).

And here's me on my last cut, which I've shown before. I know there's a lot of other factors, lighting, stance, condition it was taken (post workout vs I don't remember).

Motivates me to hit it even harder really. Though I'm still not sure where I want to go. I feel like I've reached my ideal, but part of my still wants more. Strength, size, definition, etc. I'm kinda rambling, but I dunno what I want to do still lol.

I really haven't made as much progress lately. Simply because I've been mulling about, battling depression, and just not sure what goals to set.

How much time elapsed between pictures? Crazy transformation!

I hear you about mulling around. It happens. Especially when you reach your level.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My shoulders feel a lot better today but I know I'm not good yet. I've reformed my shoulder work thanks to the advice of Sho and some others, but should I wait until my shoulders feel back to completely normal before starting the rehab shoulder work?

anyone else get really sore triceps when trying to go heavy on bench? I get it immediately during my first set sometimes and it keeps me from being able to do well on my sets afterwards. Think I have weak triceps or maybe a problem with my form?

Sphinx, ILoveBish (cute), and Sean. <3 Gonna make me tear up!

I really like what you have to say sphinx and I agree with you on all fronts. I really feed off the inspiration and motivation I can give to other people and if I stick with where I'm at my whole life and do just that, that's fine. Whenever I hear anyone's story (like yours, ILoveBish!) and I somehow had a part in the start of their own transformations, even if itny, it really gets to me.

I've thought about doing a lot of things with it really. From small crap like starting a blog or YT channel, to streaming on Twitch, to even opening a gym some day lol. It's all a tad overly ambitious to me though.

Also ILB, I'm glad you're here with us and hope you enjoy your stay! Get it!

How much time elapsed between pictures? Crazy transformation!

I hear you about mulling around. It happens. Especially when you reach your level.
2,5 years difference.

And thanks champ, but hey, you're where I'm at with no signs of slowing. So that's something that motivates me hit it harder.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
anyone else get really sore triceps when trying to go heavy on bench? I get it immediately during my first set sometimes and it keeps me from being able to do well on my sets afterwards. Think I have weak triceps or maybe a problem with my form?

It's just your triceps fatiguing before anything else more than likely. I'd add assistance for triceps, but not a ton.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Only my ego gets sore when benching.

I don't even bench

I used to get bruises on my triceps from LTEs when I went heavier.

Supposed to be bulk mode right now, consistently between 193-194 dehydrated, 198.5 in this pic though from all the burgers I ate today lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MrToughPants--I've always been curious, how often do you lift? What other physical activity do you do? Have you always had such an insane metabolism?

Cooter

I don't even bench

Supposed to be bulk mode right now, consistently between 193-194 dehydrated, 198.5 in this pic though from all the burgers I ate today lol
Do you even lift bro? And BTW, I love how all your pics are crooked and at weird angles! Haha. Once again your traps and back look like they belong on a 300lb strong man competitor.

J. Bravo

I'm getting tired of lifting heavy. Just the thought of deadlifting makes me tired. I think that means I might need to switch it up for a bit.

It's just your triceps fatiguing before anything else more than likely. I'd add assistance for triceps, but not a ton.

Thanks, I'll start doin that

I don't even bench

STRAIGHT BEEFY

also this belongs here

u21zgBR.jpg

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
MrToughPants--I've always been curious, how often do you lift? What other physical activity do you do? Have you always had such an insane metabolism?

My job can be very physical so I'm burning calories like crazy. I just carried 2-3 (50-75lbs) insulation bales on my shoulders up two flights of stairs for 30 minutes; over a thousand non-stop step-ups with that weight. Now I don't know if I'm squatting tonight lol.

Yup, now that you mention it. I do get it occasionally on bench. That very sharp, wincing, pain, I think it has something to do with the grip. Sometimes after a set of curls when I put the weight down I'll keep the grip for a few seconds and i seems to help the pain. I'll have to dick around and see.

Cudder, you're looking great bud.
I do the same (keep the grip for a bit). It seems to help.

Cooter

Add me to the cookies & cream quest bar fan club! Good stuff indeed.

Also, hi rep deads were extra exhausting today. Shit!

Veelk

Banned
So I just got started (well, restarted) with the beginner program. Today was my second day. I don't have any real questions or anything, but I wanted to make these notes as a....marker of progress, I guess. I am probably gonna be sore for the weekend, though I'm not now. I almost left to come back another time because there were truly a shitload of people there hogging the equipment, but I knew if I left, I wouldn't be coming back even if I intended it. But I stayed, did the work, and actually felt pretty damn good about myself for having done so. It was not nearly as bad as I had imagined, though I'm sure I messed up on my form a bit. Inevitable, I suppose, but I'll get it as long as I stick with it.

Sorry for the post being a blog entry, but I just feel I need to write it down. Motivation to stick with it, I suppose.

I guess I do have one question though. Should I be doing any cardio whatsoever?

giga

Really having trouble hitting my macros. With the 1g/1lb protein rule especially. How do you guys eat so much in a day?

Cooter

Really having trouble hitting my macros. With the 1g/1lb protein rule especially. How do you guys eat so much in a day?
We all smoke a quarter ounce of weed a day!

I can't speak for everyone else but I personally have a huge appetite and hitting macros is extremely easy for me.

grumble

Meat, dairy mostly. Some guys use a shake or down eggs. Have four eggs for breakfast, a chicken breast for lunch, a burger for dinner and a couple glasses of milk. Boom, protein.

grumble

Sphinx, ILoveBish (cute), and Sean. <3 Gonna make me tear up!

I really like what you have to say sphinx and I agree with you on all fronts. I really feed off the inspiration and motivation I can give to other people and if I stick with where I'm at my whole life and do just that, that's fine. Whenever I hear anyone's story (like yours, ILoveBish!) and I somehow had a part in the start of their own transformations, even if itny, it really gets to me.

I've thought about doing a lot of things with it really. From small crap like starting a blog or YT channel, to streaming on Twitch, to even opening a gym some day lol. It's all a tad overly ambitious to me though.

Also ILB, I'm glad you're here with us and hope you enjoy your stay! Get it!

2,5 years difference.

And thanks champ, but hey, you're where I'm at with no signs of slowing. So that's something that motivates me hit it harder.

You've accomplished a lot in getting into good shape. Have you considered competing? If you do it naturally it could be a goal to shoot for, be a bodybuilder.

Also, have you thought about improving other areas of your fitness, like your conditioning or your cardio? Or maybe putting that strength to work in a sport? Building a great body but never using it in real life is like owning a Ferrari and keeping it in the garage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I just got started (well, restarted) with the beginner program. Today was my second day. I don't have any real questions or anything, but I wanted to make these notes as a....marker of progress, I guess. I am probably gonna be sore for the weekend, though I'm not now. I almost left to come back another time because there were truly a shitload of people there hogging the equipment, but I knew if I left, I wouldn't be coming back even if I intended it. But I stayed, did the work, and actually felt pretty damn good about myself for having done so. It was not nearly as bad as I had imagined, though I'm sure I messed up on my form a bit. Inevitable, I suppose, but I'll get it as long as I stick with it.

Sorry for the post being a blog entry, but I just feel I need to write it down. Motivation to stick with it, I suppose.

I guess I do have one question though. Should I be doing any cardio whatsoever?

First, good to chronicle your journey. Glad you stuck with it. Other people can be a pain but you got through it and now you know how it feels at the end every time.

Do cardio if you like but if you're looking to lose weight, focus on diet. Cardio won't hurt, but don't burn yourself out so early. Take it slow brah.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hint: that rule is bullshit.

I love how it originally started out as 1 to 1.5g per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, but people just turned it into 1g per pound of body weight since it's too troublesome to calculate lean body mass.

Cooter

I love how it originally started out as 1 to 1.5g per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, but people just turned it into 1g per pound of body weight since it's too troublesome to calculate lean body mass.

I shoot for a over 1 gram per pound but don't trip if I only get 150 or so.

bro1

Banned
It is so hard to get back into lifting after such a long break. My UC flared back in May and I've lost 18lbs since then (188 to 170). My deadlift was 455x in May and now 225x10 winds me. Sets of 10 the squat at 315 was normal and I struggle at 225.

Any advice for a long time lifter just recovering from a serious illness? I'm 38 now and take immoran and simponi which are autoimmune superstores meaning that my recovery is now fairly slow.

I've made incredible gains across all my lifts out of the blue recently. In fact I don't know why I've made these gains after being at a plateau forever. Might be the recent loss of a heap of stress with the sale of my house in December. Regardless, I won't argue with success. Don't look a gain horse in the mouth I guess.

Anyone doing ckd? I've been strict keto and loving it, but might try mixing it up next month. Give me your take on it, if your doing it.

Cudder

I've made incredible gains across all my lifts out of the blue recently. In fact I don't know why I've made these gains after being at a plateau forever. Might be the recent loss of a heap of stress with the sale of my house in December. Regardless, I won't argue with success. Don't look a gain horse in the mouth I guess.

Anyone doing ckd? I've been strict keto and loving it, but might try mixing it up next month. Give me your take on it, if your doing it.

That's probably it. I think people grossly underestimate how much everyday stress plays a role in your lifts. Having heavy things on your mind really takes a toll.

Noema

It is so hard to get back into lifting after such a long break. My UC flared back in May and I've lost 18lbs since then (188 to 170). My deadlift was 455x in May and now 225x10 winds me. Sets of 10 the squat at 315 was normal and I struggle at 225.

Any advice for a long time lifter just recovering from a serious illness? I'm 38 now and take immoran and simponi which are autoimmune superstores meaning that my recovery is now fairly slow.

My recommendation is to do a bout of Starting Strength. Start light, add weight to the bar every session and eat big. In less than 6 months you'll be back at peak strength. Issue is, Starting Strength demands optimal recovery since it has you squatting 3x week on a linear progression.

If SS overwhelms your capacity for recovery (which it might, since you are not a novice and you won't be doing novice weights), you could do something like The Texas Method. You'll be adding 5lb a week to your Squat and 10lb to your deadlift, but it's sustainable for a long time. If you start at 225lbx5 the first week in 12 weeks you'll be at 285lbx5.

And sorry to hear about the UC. It's truly a nightmare of a disease. I'm glad to hear that you got rid of it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Hey, I remember you from the Weight Loss thread years ago.

I highly recommend you check out Carb Back Loading. A lot of people are finding a good amount of success on it. Either way, after a certain point, you're probably going to have to introduce some manner of carb cycling if you want to keep gaining.

i experienced the most stupidest thing last week.

at the dip station, some guy left a loaded barbell (185 total) on the handle bar. wtf man.

Hey, I remember you from the Weight Loss thread years ago.

I highly recommend you check out Carb Back Loading. A lot of people are finding a good amount of success on it. Either way, after a certain point, you're probably going to have to introduce some manner of carb cycling if you want to keep gaining.

Haha, after I made that post above I started reading back a few pages. I remember you as well from the weight loss thread. As for the fitness thread, I haven't been active in the OT since probably OT3, but have been lifting steadily minus a month for appendicitis last year. That was a killer.

From what I skimmed it looks like you are doing starting strength or a variant. Did you start carb back loading at the same time as you started lifting?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, after I made that post above I started reading back a few pages. I remember you as well from the weight loss thread. As for the fitness thread, I haven't been active in the OT since probably OT3, but have been lifting steadily minus a month for appendicitis last year. That was a killer.

From what I skimmed it looks like you are doing starting strength or a variant. Did you start carb back loading at the same time as you started lifting?

No, not seriously at least. I tried it a couple of times, but inconsistent schedules kept from sticking to it. I've only seriously done it for a couple of weeks now, but I think I'm starting to see results. I'm also still doing the one night a week variant as I still want to lose some stubborn fat around my waist.

There are lots of people on YouTube who have done the program more seriously and sing its praises. They'd probably be better to listen to than me.

No, not seriously at least. I tried it a couple of times, but inconsistent schedules kept from sticking to it. I've only seriously done it for a couple of weeks now, but I think I'm starting to see results. I'm also still doing the one night a week variant as I still want to lose some stubborn fat around my waist.

There are lots of people on YouTube who have done the program more seriously and sing its praises. They'd probably be better to listen to than me.

Got your PM. Thanks again. Good luck with the program. I started with more of a vain bodybuilder split, but I use compounds as my foundation.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Not exactly fitness related, but I'm 2 weeks post-op my gynecomastia surgery and finally started going out without the ridiculously tight and uncomfortable compression vest I've had to wear. Went to the gym and did some moderate lifting and HIIT. Looking in the mirror there and seeing nice rounded pecs under my t-shirt where a set of tits used to be almost brought a tear to my eye. Best(only) 5 grand I've ever spent.

Did my first SS workout. Here are my noob numbers

Squats 135 3x5
Bench press 145 3x5
Deadlift 175 1x5

Hopefully I'll push some good weight by the end of the year instead of these girly weights but hey gotta start somewhere

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's a really high bench press compared to the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom