• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife was testing squat and ohp 1rm today.

After her ohp some guy came up and was like "you should take a stagger stance. It's a lot safer!"

Then he started arguing with me about what a strict ohp is. Seriously? Fuck off if you don't know what you're talking about.

We actually do a form of these for olympic lifting. Basically you just use the jerk landing position and do strict presses to strengthen your landing position for the clean and jerk.

But that dude is an idiot to encourage a "stagger stance" or claim it's at all safer for a basic OHP.

Why do you think you're not bending down deep enough? The weight is on the floor, not two feet below it.

What shoes are you wearing? Looks like they have quite the heel in them.

moocow

295 2x1 bench! I really really wanted to keep pushing these gains for a bit longer, but I think it's better for the long run if I just pull this lift, along with all my others, over to 531.

In any case, I'm happy enough with my maxes going into 531.
330 squat
295 bench
410 dead
and 160 ohp.

There's nothing like back-to-back sickness after going years without a cold. I'm just now recovering from a gnarly stomach flu and, even though I've only missed one gym day (so far), I can tell I look smaller. That's what not being able to hold down food and water for two days will do to you, I guess.

Or is this bigorexia?

295 2x1 bench! I really really wanted to keep pushing these gains for a bit longer, but I think it's better for the long run if I just pull this lift, along with all my others, over to 531.

In any case, I'm happy enough with my maxes going into 531.
330 squat
295 bench
410 dead
and 160 ohp.

That bench is pretty close to your squat. Nice numbers though!

Lower your ass. Your lower back is bent, you don't want to snap that.

Don't look at yourself in the mirror bro you are asking for a neck injury.
Figured that i needed to get lower. Thanks. I tried asking someone from 24hr fitness on my form and he told me it looked fine but I knew something was wrong. Plus I really dont trust people who do half squats and half rep benches

agrajag

Banned
Believe I finally fixed my squat. My setup was completely fubar. Now I use an unconventional grip and I don't "arch th bar out" I bring my hips forward.

Also I'm about to start outing people at my gym for non full range of motion squats. They load th bar up and act like they are smashing it. I think they need a dose of reality.

My grip is with my pinky and thumb tucked with the 3 middle fingers over the bar pulling it into my shoulders.

It's only "still heavy" because it's awkward. Lifting in the gym has more real world application than you believe. I posted about this a few weeks back in relation to my career in corrections.

I bet lifting awkward objects recruits a lot of stabilizer muscles that don't normally get trained as much, which is why it seems difficult. Just like with free weights vs. fixed weights.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just wanted to ask about overhead press please. Essentially, is it better to up the weights by as little as possible in order to maintain strict form or go up in larger increments at the expense of strict form?

I'm currently going with the former, but would like to hear Fitgafs take on it.

You should follow whatever progression is set into your routine. If your form is so fucked up your ooh is no longer an OHP it's time to drop the weight.

I bet lifting awkward objects recruits a lot of stabilizer muscles that don't normally get trained as much, which is why it seems difficult. Just like with free weights vs. fixed weights.

Perhaps, it's also loaded differently and it's a different movement pattern. You aren't accustomed to or trained in how to move it. Thus your body/mind will perceive it as heavier.

despire

Is there a schedule I should be following? Should I rotate between cardio and strength every time or just do both? I've been told to always do cardio first (army) and I've been told that cardio first weakens your muscles. What would be the easiest way to start off and not tear me apart?

TLRD: I need to get my cardio and strength way up in 6 months and follow a decent diet. I don't know where to begin.

I'd suggest to start by reading the OP, buying the book Starting Strength and starting the routine in the OP (which is basically SS).

How much cardio you need? I'd suggest doing some light cardio after lifting or on the days you don't lift. Not before in any case. But then again we don't know what you need to do in that test of yours.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say just like free weights vs fixed. The key differences with lifting most heavy objects as opposed to a barbell are the ability to grip and centre of gravity (which generally feed into each other). Awkward positions may be demanding on stabilisers but they also keep prime movers from exerting their full force. Training with free weights eliminates those problems, allowing the prime movers to be trained to maximum potential, but also allowing those stabilisers to exposed to higher loads than they would be otherwise; picking up a sofa chair might rely more on a specific stabiliser than a deadlift, but a deadlift will require that muscle to handle more weight in total.

Perhaps, it's also loaded differently and it's a different movement pattern. You aren't accustomed to or trained in how to move it. Thus your body/mind will perceive it as heavier.
Plus this. Strength is a capacity and a skill. Strongmen train with squats, deads and presses as well as more sport specific movements.

siddhu33

Hello Fit-GAF...I've restarted my Gym campaign, and I have noticed that I'm getting terrible soreness after working out for a few days. Is there anything that I can do to mitigate this, or is it part and parcel of the whole experience?

Also, quest bars. Are they worth the price?

Cudder

Hello Fit-GAF...I've restarted my Gym campaign, and I have noticed that I'm getting terrible soreness after working out for a few days. Is there anything that I can do to mitigate this, or is it part and parcel of the whole experience?

The best thing you can do when you're sore is to keep active (ie. Workout). The more you rest the more you'll feel that soreness.

As for Questbars, I believe they have one of the best nutritional profiles of any protein bar, if you can afford them, get em.

Damn I hate these super thick barbells at my gym. They are noticeably thicker than the usual olympic barbells and therefore it's often my grip that seems to be the first one to fail when it comes to any kind of cleans or deadlifts. One of my goals this year is to hang clean 100 kg (220 lb) for reps and at the moment I can do 5 x 82,5 kg (182 lb) but I always have to stop my sets too early because I'm afraid that my grip will fail and I will drop the weights. If I had a bit more money I would buy a proper barbell myself and ask the gym if I can take it there and let the other members to use it as well. I should probably go to another gym nearby the next time I'm doing hang cleans and see how much more weight I can move with a decent barbell.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Do something that will get the sore area warmed up and blood flowing to it, nothing as intense as regular training. Flushing the area with blood will bring new nutrients and remove built up waste. Also sleep and eat for recovery. You will get better at dealing with it. I still get really bad soreness it just becomes part of the territory. People that tell you they don't get sore anymore ; in my opinion they aren't pushing themselves hard enough, are full of it, or aren't programming correctly to maximize their progression. (This is in regards to strength)

If the soreness doesn't impede your range of motion for whatever you're supposed to train today go for it. Don't use the soreness as an excuse to avoid the gym. But if it's especially bad, just focus on recovering (what I stated earlier)

cmr-94

Has anyone had a shoulder knot before (sort of in the upper back/shoulder blade area)? Just wondering how people go about getting rid of it. I stopped going to the gym over Christmas but it still didn't go away fully

moocow

Has anyone had a shoulder knot before (sort of in the upper back/shoulder blade area)? Just wondering how people go about getting rid of it. I stopped going to the gym over Christmas but it still didn't go away fully

I get these every now and again. I usually just ask someone to massage the knot out, or I just wait it out.

They have never lasted a month though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Saturday down with no cheating. Well besides a banana I had with peanut butter but if that is the worse of my cheating I'm fine. Get through today and weekdays are easy!

No football today. :-( Guess I'll just throw some routes with my son.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Damn I hate these super thick barbells at my gym. They are noticeably thicker than the usual olympic barbells and therefore it's often my grip that seems to be the first one to fail when it comes to any kind of cleans or deadlifts. One of my goals this year is to hang clean 100 kg (220 lb) for reps and at the moment I can do 5 x 82,5 kg (182 lb) but I always have to stop my sets too early because I'm afraid that my grip will fail and I will drop the weights. If I had a bit more money I would buy a proper barbell myself and ask the gym if I can take it there and let the other members to use it as well. I should probably go to another gym nearby the next time I'm doing hang cleans and see how much more weight I can move with a decent barbell.

I hate this as well. People always look at me funny when they see me moving barbells around from station to station.

Servbot24

Banned
Saturday down with no cheating. Well besides a banana I had with peanut butter but if that is the worse of my cheating I'm fine. Get through today and weekdays are easy!

No football today. :-( Guess I'll just throw some routes with my son.

Wait aren't bananas extremely good for after your workout? Peanut butter ain't bad either if you get the natural stuff.

Bananas are amazing.

Bananas and PB are even more amazing.

Sometimes all I have for breakfast when I'm in a rush is a banana dipped in PB, and a coffee & whey shake.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Brolic for the advice about shoulder work. Been doing rehab exercises and I feel much better, now just general work with it has me feeling so much better than I was.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn! I think out of the 20lbs I put on this bulk maybe 19.5 of it went to my butt! This thing is out of control right now. Probably should have seen it coming with DLing twice a week and squatting once though.

sphinx

the piano man
Damn! I think out of the 20lbs I put on this bulk maybe 19.5 of it went to my butt! This thing is out of control right now. Probably should have seen it coming with DLing twice a week and squatting once though.

yeah lol it sucks that the butt is the first thing to explode when doing these compounds, I wished it was arms or delts or anything else actually.

Gains are gains.. but I never see my ass on the mirror so butt gains are kinda pointless.

on the food topic, today I cheated massively :/ I nearly ate a complete Macadamia Nut Brittle Haagen Daaz ice cream pint, expensive as fuck but tastes like HEAVEN.

rage1973

Anyone get what's called exertion headaches?
I was bench pressing and got a severe throbbing headache at the end of the my set.
It was so bad I couldn't continue the rest of the workout and I have gotten it not as severe in my last two wokrouts since then. I tried googling it and it says that the only thing you can do is rest and not workout for a while. That would suck having to take a break due to some headaches.

velociraptor

Just keep in mind that it's better to start too low than too high. The progression with SS is so quick anyway that even if you would start with just the bar, you're lifting a lot of weight pretty quickly :)
Yep. Besides I think it's better to lift light and develop good form and thus good habits versus going crazy with the weight.

People that tell you they don't get sore anymore ; in my opinion they aren't pushing themselves hard enough, are full of it, or aren't programming correctly to maximize their progression. (This is in regards to strength)

I would have called bs on the this about 5 months ago, but since switching from a badly programmed pseudo-SS routine to strictly following 5/3/1, I now agree. I don't always get sore, but it happens more often than not. Doesn't compare to what it feels like when I used to miss workouts for weeks at a time and would have horrible DOMS once I got back into a routine, but yeah, soreness absolutely exists from continuous weight training.

I will say, it does get easier to handle the more you experience it, and I have been lucky so far to not have any sort of joint soreness. Just straight up "fuck walking up stairs kind of hurts the day after squat/lunges or deadlift/front squat/leg press" sort of soreness.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
People that tell you they don't get sore anymore ; in my opinion they aren't pushing themselves hard enough, are full of it, or aren't programming correctly to maximize their progression. (This is in regards to strength)

I don't buy this. My periods of most soreness have never correlated with my periods of most progress. Soreness happens from time to time but it's almost always after working out for the first time in a while or trying something new.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't buy this. My periods of most soreness have never correlated with my periods of most progress. Soreness happens from time to time but it's almost always after working out for the first time in a while or trying something new.

Gonna be brutally honest. I don't care what you buy I'm telling you how it is for me and my strength speaks for itself. Not to say I'm the strongest dude ever, I'm not, not even close. But I'm decently strong and know a thing or two about getting stronger.

Brolic, do you have the 6.5mm or 13mm P2 belt?

13mm

I would have called bs on the this about 5 months ago, but since switching from a badly programmed pseudo-SS routine to strictly following 5/3/1, I now agree. I don't always get sore, but it happens more often than not. Doesn't compare to what it feels like when I used to miss workouts for weeks at a time and would have horrible DOMS once I got back into a routine, but yeah, soreness absolutely exists from continuous weight training.

I will say, it does get easier to handle the more you experience it, and I have been lucky so far to not have any sort of joint soreness. Just straight up "fuck walking up stairs kind of hurts the day after squat/lunges or deadlift/front squat/leg press" sort of soreness.

Squats and deads still destroy me. Sometimes bench gets me. OHP never even bothers me much except for follow up trap work. But you're right. Nothing compares to untrained DOMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom