• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My girlfriend wants to start lifting, which is great! She's in good shape already, but she wants to get more fit, so here are some numbers.

Height:5'1"
Weight:110
Goal: Lower BF% tone up
Current Training Schedule: Cardio bike
Current Training Equipment Available: Weight bench, olympic car, olympic dumbbells full set of weights, etc.

What's a good routine for her to start with?

Sounds like she should adjust her diet and stick with cardio. Judging from her goals. If she wants to put on the massel first though, maybe drop the cardio for a while, eat more, and do Starting Strength for a couple months. Lots of people hate the fat gain, so diet is key so you don't get out of control.

Szu

My girlfriend wants to start lifting, which is great! She's in good shape already, but she wants to get more fit, so here are some numbers.

Current Training Equipment Available: Weight bench, olympic car, olympic dumbbells full set of weights, etc.

OP Full Body is fine, but definitely squats. You can thank us later. I'm also curious to see how she progresses up to deadlifting an olympic car.

Chocobro

Squat, squat, squat.
Have her do the second routine in the OP.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to look him up. He weights about 230 lbs. Yep, just a good bit over his weight.

While I don't know how much Brolic weighs, I think he can do the same. Some very impressive videos many pages back.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is a process that takes time.

I've been like 3 weeks on this "cut" and I'm down about 10lbs with lifts continuing to progress. Every day I think about lowering my calories some or cutting out carb refeeds but I know that will just be counterproductive eventually. I have however managed to increase my cardio, from NONE to some light steady state on non training days.

I'm just ready for this gut to be gone!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
While I don't know how much Brolic weighs, I think he can do the same. Some very impressive videos many pages back.
I believe he's about 245 right now and currently sitting at 270 or 280 at OHP. Ridiculous.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is a process that takes time.

I've been like 3 weeks on this "cut" and I'm down about 10lbs with lifts continuing to progress. Every day I think about lowering my calories some or cutting out carb refeeds but I know that will just be counterproductive eventually. I have however managed to increase my cardio, from NONE to some light steady state on non training days.

I'm just ready for this gut to be gone!

Same boat man. Keep at it. It's a long game, you want to keep all that muscle. Cutting your calories any more might make you feel better, but you'll be losing more than fat.

Slow and steady.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This guy who's been helping me with my workouts (a personal trainer and coach) has opened a page where anyone can ask him questions. He has really been a good help and want everyone to get that as well. https://www.facebook.com/LeighMorrisonOfficial (Am I allowed to do this?)

First thought is anyone can make a page. What are his credentials? Honestly looking at some of his posts and his pics I wouldn't personally take his advice.

what the fuck

Russians man. Russians.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sounds like she should adjust her diet and stick with cardio. Judging from her goals. If she wants to put on the massel first though, maybe drop the cardio for a while, eat more, and do Starting Strength for a couple months. Lots of people hate the fat gain, so diet is key so you don't get out of control.

Yeah she's not as good as me at the diet thing, but somehow she's stayed really thin, she has a smaller appetite.

OP Full Body is fine, but definitely squats. You can thank us later. I'm also curious to see how she progresses up to deadlifting an olympic car.

Squat, squat, squat.
Have her do the second routine in the OP.

Haha Alrighty heavy on the squats. How much should she start on, and same for DL?

Yeah she's not as good as me at the diet thing, but somehow she's stayed really thin, she has a smaller appetite.

Haha Alrighty heavy on the squats. How much should she start on, and same for DL?

There's no defined weight. Start light, see what she's comfortable with, go from there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely start with the bar. Honestly, if she's untrained and only weighs 110 lbs. the standard olympic bar (45 lbs.) may even be difficult at first.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
He's a qualified coach and personal trainer.

What qualifies him to do either? Like I said, anyone can make a page.

A coach should have some form of track record. Has he ever competed? Trained competing athletes? Trained with anyone that has? If so, what's their track record. Being a coach is not the same as being a trainer.
He's calling himself a trainer, what's his certification? Who trained him?

Etc etc.

Too many nobodys call themselves coaches and trainers with absolutely no legitimate reason to.

Hmmm, explain?

Depending on the person, people can get really defensive when it comes to working out. Especially when you have a strong emotional relationship with them.

Critiquing their form in a squat becomes, "You're always so critical of me. You think you're better because you do this more often." blah blah blah.

Not everyone is like this, but it can be hard to separate the two sometimes.

Cooter

Depending on the person, people can get really defensive when it comes to working out. Especially when you have a strong emotional relationship with them.

Critiquing their form in a squat becomes, "You're always so critical of me. You think you're better because you do this more often." blah blah blah.

Not everyone is like this, but it can be hard to separate the two sometimes.
Or a supportive, "are you going to the gym with me tonight" gets interpreted as he is not attracted to me and wants me to look better.

I deadlifted for the first time in years. Pulled 335 for one rep. To me, I think that isn't bad considering how long it's been since I DL, and I that I'm 6'1 and 170lbs. Actually, I don't know how much I weigh. I'm scared to go on the scale in fear that I'm under 170.

Anyway, I've added tuna fish and sweet potatoes back into my diet. That should add few more pounds and get stronger a bit.

My DL goal is 400 I guess? Doesn't seem that far-fetched considering it's only 65 pounds more.

Mark1

What qualifies him to do either? Like I said, anyone can make a page.

A coach should have some form of track record. Has he ever competed? Trained competing athletes? Trained with anyone that has? If so, what's their track record. Being a coach is not the same as being a trainer.
He's calling himself a trainer, what's his certification? Who trained him?

Etc etc.

Too many nobodys call themselves coaches and trainers with absolutely no legitimate reason to.
That I'm not sure about, he's in charge of the sporting side of my university, all I know.

I deadlifted for the first time in years. Pulled 335 for one rep. To me, I think that isn't bad considering how long it's been since I DL, and I that I'm 6'1 and 170lbs. Actually, I don't know how much I weigh. I'm scared to go on the scale in fear that I'm under 170.

Anyway, I've added tuna fish and sweet potatoes back into my diet. That should add few more pounds and get stronger a bit.

My DL goal is 400 I guess? Doesn't seem that far-fetched considering it's only 65 pounds more.

Nice dude, you can totally hit 400lbs.

My goal this year is a 300lbs bench, 400lbs squat, 500lbs dead. @ about 190lbs.

I've got about 20% to go on each of the lifts to get there

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That I'm not sure about, he's in charge of the sporting side of my university, all I know.

Important things to know before you take advice from someone claiming to be a coach.

As far as you know this guy is just a kinesiology/strength science major posing as a professional.

Guys like that were a dime a dozen at my college too.

Nice dude, you can totally hit 400lbs.

My goal this year is a 300lbs bench, 400lbs squat, 500lbs dead. @ about 190lbs.

I've got about 20% to go on each of the lifts to get there

400lb squat is awesome. I can only squat 275 right now, and my goal is probably at least 315-335.

My bench for some reason keeps getting weaker, and I haven't changed anything really, both diet and lifting.

I'm going back to full body workout. Today was a screw around day, and I did flat bench, DL, weighted pull ups, and incline bench. I'll stick to the second full body plan and see how that goes. Should see some decent gains if I'm squatting 3 times a week and benching twice a week. If nothing changes, then whatever. I'll decide on whether to go back to isolation/compound lifts or just stick to compound lifts.

Cooter

400lb squat is awesome. I can only squat 275 right now, and my goal is probably at least 315-335.

My bench for some reason keeps getting weaker, and I haven't changed anything really, both diet and lifting.

I'm going back to full body workout. Today was a screw around day, and I did flat bench, DL, weighted pull ups, and incline bench. I'll stick to the second full body plan and see how that goes. Should see some decent gains if I'm squatting 3 times a week and benching twice a week. If nothing changes, then whatever. I'll decide on whether to go back to isolation/compound lifts or just stick to compound lifts.
Squatting 3x a week is a lot for someone as seasoned as yourself.

I'll squat and bench twice a week with DL once a week insead. I'll figure out a routine. I have to make sure I include weighted pull ups (2/45s already doing for 4 reps) and dips( 3/45s doing for 6 reps).

Mark1

Important things to know before you take advice from someone claiming to be a coach.

As far as you know this guy is just a kinesiology/strength science major posing as a professional.

Guys like that were a dime a dozen at my college too.
I think he may have explained to me his history, but I can't remember, I've been talking to him for a good few months (is now a friend).

Nelo Ice

Banned
So finally feel healthy enough to go back to the gym. Trying OHP day again and I'm weaker as expected. Nearly killed myself doing 75 lb OHP on the last rep. Barely got 80 lbs for 5 reps and my try for 85 lbs was fail so I'm on volume sets. Gonna have to recalculate even lower weight for next week for 5/3/1 :(. Anyway had to mention there are guys in the power rack next to me that are going ham on sloppy form cheat curls and at one point they even threw in 5 10s on each side of the barbell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So finally feel healthy enough to go back to the gym. Trying OHP day again and I'm weaker as expected. Nearly killed myself doing 75 lb OHP on the last rep. Barely got 80 lbs for 5 reps and my try for 85 lbs was fail so I'm on volume sets. Gonna have to recalculate even lower weight for next week for 5/3/1 :(. Anyway had to mention there are guys in the power rack next to me that are going ham on sloppy form cheat curls and at one point they even threw in 5 10s on each side of the barbell.

How long were you out and what was your weight before?

Nelo Ice

Banned
How long were you out and what was your weight before?
3 weeks. Was pushing 105x2 for my last PR then got a cold and tried doing deload week and attempting OHP the past 2 weeks and I was either too weak or had no energy. Today's the first time I feel normal and I'm doing strict OHP. Last 2 weeks were basically push pressing since I had nothing in the tank.

Edit: and still struggling bleh. My strength has been sapped away while I was sick.

I need to some advice as to whether or not I should work out today.

I just got over being sick for the second time in a row (this time, a stomach flu), and I'm still feeling moderately weak. I'm definitely not sick anymore, but my appetite isn't up to snuff, nor do I feel back to normal in terms of energy. In spite of all this, I'd hate to miss another gym day--why see more strength losses if I don't necessarily have to?

Boogie

1b071be085ef11e3a0a00e0a1b2b9a73_8.jpg

Brian Shaw (6'8", 415lbs) standing next to Fabricio Werdum (6'4", 240lbs).

:O

But remember, the small guy can kick the big guy's ass. ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3 weeks. Was pushing 105x2 for my last PR then got a cold and tried doing deload week and attempting OHP the past 2 weeks and I was either too weak or had no energy. Today's the first time I feel normal and I'm doing strict OHP. Last 2 weeks were basically push pressing since I had nothing in the tank.

Was the 105 x 2 strict OHP or push press? That's like a 20% drop, which seems crazy to me. Maybe you're still not fully recovered/rested?

I need to some advice as to whether or not I should work out today.

I just got over being sick for the second time in a row (this time, a stomach flu), and I'm still feeling moderately weak. I'm definitely not sick anymore, but my appetite isn't up to snuff, nor do I feel back to normal in terms of energy. In spite of all this, I'd hate to miss another gym day--why see more strength losses if I don't necessarily have to?

If you're feeling decent enough, I'd say go. Just don't push it. Do lighter than you normally would and only up the weight to normal levels if you really feel like you have it in you.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Was the 105 x 2 strict OHP or push press? That's like a 20% drop, which seems crazy to me. Maybe you're still not fully recovered

As far as I know strict. At least that was my intention, may have pushed pressed after seeing vids and advice other fit gaffers have posted here. Also yeah def not 100% right now. I'm just healthy enough to be back and not feel like I had a completely terrible workout. Will def readjust for the rest of the week and next since it looks like I'm not nearly ready to be pulling the weights I was.

Edit: Yep tiring out doing pull ups already on for my 2nd set of assistance. Def feel like I'm at like 80% or so since I feel a lot better than the last 2 weeks but still not completely like myself. Def was not prepared to be out for so long so I'm kinda lost on readjusting and getting back to my previous strength levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom