• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn that is one expensive belt! ;___; they're both on sale though.

Worth every penny. If you lived closer I'd just let you use my XL one.

Anyone get what's called exertion headaches?
I was bench pressing and got a severe throbbing headache at the end of the my set.
It was so bad I couldn't continue the rest of the workout and I have gotten it not as severe in my last two wokrouts since then. I tried googling it and it says that the only thing you can do is rest and not workout for a while. That would suck having to take a break due to some headaches.

Yeah get them from time to time. Usually stress related when I go lift. Petrie had them super bad a few months back.

When I get them I stop. I learned to when one time I kept going and had a migraine for a week. Not worth it.

SeanR1221

I'm driving down now!

Still trying to convince the wife on the cheaper farmers handles. I might just pick up overtime next month and get them.

Damn! I think out of the 20lbs I put on this bulk maybe 19.5 of it went to my butt! This thing is out of control right now. Probably should have seen it coming with DLing twice a week and squatting once though.
Dude this is me. I can't wear ANYTHING but my damn sweat pants now that I've bulked a bit. It all went to my ass, . :(

All the more reason to cut, I can't afford more jeans/ Assuming I can even wear them when I'm cut down.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm driving down now!

Still trying to convince the wife on the cheaper farmers handles. I might just pick up overtime next month and get them.

Definitely happy with my purchase on them. Nothing like carrying heavy shit.

Dude this is me. I can't wear ANYTHING but my damn sweat pants now that I've bulked a bit. It all went to my ass, . :(

All the more reason to cut, I can't afford more jeans/ Assuming I can even wear them when I'm cut down.

Solution.

Assless chaps.

You're welcome.

SeanR1221

Definitely happy with my purchase on them. Nothing like carrying heavy shit.

Solution.

Assless chaps.

You're welcome.

Yeah but you have the big business yellow ones. My way of justifying this is to get the 20lb black ones so my wife can use them too.

She's warming up to the idea. She was asking if it will make her arms look better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah but you have the big business yellow ones. My way of justifying this is to get the 20lb black ones so my wife can use them too.

She's warming up to the idea. She was asking if it will make her arms look better.

Actually got them in green. And it will do more than make her arms look better it's a whole body experience. I've heard the econo ones are good too.

Cudder

Anyone get what's called exertion headaches?
I was bench pressing and got a severe throbbing headache at the end of the my set.
It was so bad I couldn't continue the rest of the workout and I have gotten it not as severe in my last two wokrouts since then. I tried googling it and it says that the only thing you can do is rest and not workout for a while. That would suck having to take a break due to some headaches.

I got one close to when I started lifting a couple years back. I was going heavy on the leg press, I guess I wasn't breathing and popped something upstairs. Worst feeling ever, I wanted to die. I remember I could still feel a headache for the next 2 weeks. Now whenever I do a heavy set of anything, I make sure I breathe properly and also take in big, heavy breathes as soon as I'm done the set. Sucks it happened to you. Take it easy.

Lol torture dungeon.

I can just imagine someone on craigslist showing up to try and scam Shogun.

Lower back is starting to heal up from last sunday. Lots of alternating heat and ice last week. Air squats have been great for stretching it too. Going to start with some very very light squats this week and maybe light DLing.

sphinx

the piano man

remember not to put your freshly washed pants in the drying machine, otherwise.... well,' they are gone for good.

I forgot last time at my parents.. and the pants that were already small, are smaller now and I feel like if I move the wrong way I am going to rip them apart...quads and butt feel like the want to explode (my pants are small though, not that I have massive legs)

but I still have hope, I want to wear them this summer :/... on the other hand... I have a friend that always mocks me, last time he asked "can you breathe in those?"..I was like, haha, very funny >_> lol.

Cudder

And I found out that sex triggers it just as bad.
I feel like a bitch having to tell my wife No I have a headache honey.

You know what, I was going to actually type that out in my response to you but I decided against it. When I got my exertion headache even just getting a boner would fucking kill my head. I didn't touch my dick for like 2 weeks.

Pyrokai

So if I'm doing basic curls, and I'm using a 20lb weight for a move, then I start feeling the burn/fatigue about 8-9 reps into it. Now that same exact exercise with the same weight takes me about 13-14 reps to get the same effect. However, if I use my next weight up (30lb), I can't even do 1 rep because it's just too heavy for me, and if I do manage to get it up, it ends up just being a cheat rep with some extra body movement or something.

My question: Should I keep going with the 20lb. weight until I can eventually start using the 30lb weight, or should I purchase 25lb weights? I just bought the 30lb. weights for various other exercises, and that cost me over $60. I don't exactly have $50 to spend on two 25lb weights......so I hope I don't have to :(

And if it means anything: My weights are all stand-alone dumb bells and I can't add 1 or 2 extra pounds to them. Did I make a huge mistake investing in these kinds of dumb bells?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So if I'm doing basic curls, and I'm using a 20lb weight for a move, then I start feeling the burn/fatigue about 8-9 reps into it. Now that same exact exercise with the same weight takes me about 13-14 reps to get the same effect. However, if I use my next weight up (30lb), I can't even do 1 rep because it's just too heavy for me, and if I do manage to get it up, it ends up just being a cheat rep with some extra body movement or something.

My question: Should I keep going with the 20lb. weight until I can eventually start using the 30lb weight, or should I purchase 25lb weights? I just bought the 30lb. weights for various other exercises, and that cost me over $60. I don't exactly have $50 to spend on two 25lb weights......so I hope I don't have to :(

And if it means anything: My weights are all stand-alone dumb bells and I can't add 1 or 2 extra pounds to them. Did I make a huge mistake investing in these kinds of dumb bells?

Both answers work. More reps with 20lbs and buy 25lb DBs.

A 20 to 30lb jump is huge so don't feel bad not being able to hit 1 rep.

I would also look into powerblocks. I have a set that goes up to 85lbs. I think it cost me 250-300 dollars.

Cherry dr pepper and a large pizza. And that's just getting started. ;)

Fiancee was out of town this weekend, so for dinner last night I ordered a large pizza (jalapeño) and ate it with a cup of broccoli, giant glass of milk, and giant glass of water. Passed out on our futon from overeating and woke up at 6 AM feeling so good.

Pyrokai

Both answers work. More reps with 20lbs and buy 25lb DBs.

A 20 to 30lb jump is huge so don't feel bad not being able to hit 1 rep.

I would also look into powerblocks. I have a set that goes up to 85lbs. I think it cost me 250-300 dollars.

Thanks for responding and for the advice! Appreciate it :)

Chocobro

Well Fit-bros, I'll be entering the last semester in university tomorrow. I bet it'll be harder to progress in my lifts for the next few months but I'll see what I can do about it.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Should be 195+ by the end of the week. Was down to 180 at one point in December...

Got back to doing RDLs on friday. Thought I'd stop at 400 but felt good and went on to 205kg/452 for five and now I'm feeling it...

I started making homemade milkshakes right at the end of my bulk. Soon after I got pissed at myself for not thinking of it earlier.

Oh man.

2 Cups Oats
1 liter milk
2 Bananas
Whole Blueberry pie

Sooooo good.

hJp12mV.jpg

ILoveBish

Darth, you need to do a youtube channel where you play fighting games and talk fitness and dieting over it as you play. I'd sub.

This is what you should be doing.

Best video I've watched on deadlifting.

Thanks for the video, i was pretty close already, but watching his form in .25x speed several times helped a lot. Today was deadlift day and i killed it, felt beast mode. Im actually thinking of taking deadlift off of 5/3/1 and doing SS style to see how far i can push myself. I think i can do over 400lbs,might just go for it after this next 5/3/1 session is done.

____

Hey Guys,

I signed up for the Spartan race (with some co-workers) -- not sure if anyone's familiar, but if you are, any tips on training for it?

Anything I should focus on in particular?

Szu

Well, I always realized that OHP isn't a popular choice of workout in most of the my gyms.

Last Friday was only my second time doing OHP again after about 3 months, I did some decent weight (125lbs-3x5) and my elbow didn't fall off (so that's good). There was another Chinese guy doing seated DB shoulder presses who was trying to figure out my technique. He wasn't new to lifting, but I don't think he's seen anyone else at the gym do any OHP.

Later on, I saw him trying OHP with 115 lbs. My guess is that he wanted to get a feel for the workout. He used a really wide grip and only brought the bar down to his forehead level.

I'm pretty sure he realized it wasn't as easy as it was advertised, but it's nice to see that he made an attempt at something different.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I always realized that OHP isn't a popular choice of workout in most of the my gyms.

Last Friday was only my second time doing OHP again after about 3 months, I did some decent weight (125lbs-3x5) and my elbow didn't fall off (so that's good). There was another Chinese guy doing seated DB shoulder presses who was trying to figure out my technique. He wasn't new to lifting, but I don't think he's seen anyone else at the gym do any OHP.

Later on, I saw him trying OHP with 115 lbs. My guess is that he wanted to get a feel for the workout. He used a really wide grip and only brought the bar down to his forehead level.

I'm pretty sure he realized it wasn't as easy as it was advertised, but it's nice to see a nice attempt.

Yeah, real OHP is a real challenge. Especially if you go from seated presses - the weight will knock your ego down a tad! I enjoy standing db presses myself, even though I get wobbly sometimes with the heavier DBs.

I'm pretty sure he realized it wasn't as easy as it was advertised, but it's nice to see that he made an attempt at something different.

OHP is brutal. It looks like it should be easy and it's just not. When you get fatigued its so frustrating that you can't even lift it a few inches to get it going.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

He just got confirmation of something he already knew; he's not as awesome as you.

Well, I always realized that OHP isn't a popular choice of workout in most of the my gyms..

Yeah, people doing OHP is a rare sight at my gym too. It's a tough movement and like Vince said it's probably a bit of an ego thing as well since very few can rep with any decent weights at the beginning. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen anyone rep with over 130 lb at my gym (I must be the OHP king with my very moderate numbers 4 x 154lb, hehe). Most people just do seated DB presses or use the Smith machine.

SeanR1221

Checking in for no one doing strict ohp at my gym. Every big guy does seated smith press. Wide grip and comes to about their foreheads.

A few do seated ohp outside the smith, but it's still that wide, bicep driven, grip.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You know you're fully committed to a cut when you seriously start an internal debate about if having sugarless gum counts as breaking your fast. Oh Lord I've got issues!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Closest thing to strict OHP I see at my gym are dudes with 15s on dumbbells doing fistpumps.

Szu

Yeah, people doing OHP is a rare sight at my gym too. It's a tough movement and like Vince said it's probably a bit of an ego thing as well since very few can rep with any decent weights at the beginning. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen anyone rep with over 130 lb at my gym (I must be the OHP king with my very moderate numbers 4 x 154lb, hehe). Most people just do seated DB presses or use the Smith machine.

Actually on a related note, I mentioned that this was only my second time doing OHP in a long while. My first time was last week, I was still mulling over doing it because I'm still testing the limits of my healing process.

I went to a gym that had two squat racks, but no power cages. Both of them had quite a bit of people on them. There was another guy setting up the rack and I asked him if he just started. He said yes, but I was fine with it since he was alone. The other rack had two guys on it.

However, when the guy ahead of me started to warm up his shoulders, I asked him if he was doing OHP. He said yes. I jumped right in with him. He was completely new to it, but he kept the weight low and focused on form (though his legs and grip were a bit wide). I didn't push the weight too much, but I felt fine for the most of it. My left forearm did get a bit tight during the last set, but my elbow stayed in one piece.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My girlfriend wants to start lifting, which is great! She's in good shape already, but she wants to get more fit, so here are some numbers.

Height:5'1"
Weight:110
Goal: Lower BF% tone up
Current Training Schedule: Cardio bike
Current Training Equipment Available: Weight bench, olympic car, olympic dumbbells full set of weights, etc.

What's a good routine for her to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom