• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I know strict. At least that was my intention, may have pushed pressed after seeing vids and advice other fit gaffers have posted here. Also yeah def not 100% right now. I'm just healthy enough to be back and not feel like I had a completely terrible workout. Will def readjust for the rest of the week and next since it looks like I'm not nearly ready to be pulling the weights I was.

Don't feel bad about it (if you are). Once you fully recover, you'll be back up to that weight in no time and will probably blow past it thanks to all of the rest!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Don't feel bad about it (if you are). Once you fully recover, you'll be back up to that weight in no time and will probably blow past it thanks to all of the rest!
Nah it feeling vs just kinda sad I lost some gains lol. But not letting that get in the way!. Just currently want to get back asap but I won't try to rush it. Just gonna see what I'm currently capable of and adjust accordingly.

Szu

Nah it feeling vs just kinda sad I lost some gains lol. But not letting that get in the way!. Just currently want to get back asap but I won't try to rush it. Just gonna see what I'm currently capable of and adjust accordingly.

I know the feeling. I still at the point where I feel like my body has healed up nicely, but I don't think it's 100% yet. I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my recovery. Actually, that's the main reason I haven't even tried DL yet.

But at the same time, I see guys doing quarter squats and I rage because these guys are taking up a rack where I used to go full ATG.

:(

agrajag

Banned
Man, I'm so glad I switched to low bar squats. I never feel any tension in my knees anymore and like my back is about to give out.

sphinx

the piano man
I didn't want to type it or say it but, yep.. my right wrist is sore, badly, and is not doms, it's bad.

Last week around tuesday something happened, maybe it was the tight wirst straps on chest day, but it got worse every day to the point that I had to stop some arm assistance on friday. I hoped saturday and sunday would be enough to recover but it's still there, a bit...

so I went today to the gym and instead of doing what I had to do I did a shitton of cardio stuff and ab/core things and tomorrow probably leg stuff.

yet another hard work that goes down the drain for lack of consistency thanks to fucking whatever...I hate it, I had a nice plan for the month, now it's sucks, it's fuckarounditis until it is completely gone, it may take the rest of the week , It's much better now than on Saturday. though.

it will comeback, give it time, I was VERY sick with a flu several months ago and my squat went from 205 lbs to 175 lbs and struggling at it, I was very demoralized.. but Fit-gaf told me it's how it is, you lose a lot of strength but work from that point up and you come back and that's what is going to happen.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I know the feeling. I still at the point where I feel like my body has healed up nicely, but I don't think it's 100% yet. I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my recovery. Actually, that's the main reason I haven't even tried DL yet.

But at the same time, I see guys doing quarter squats and I rage because these guys are taking up a rack where I used to go full ATG.

:(

it will comeback, give it time, I was VERY sick with a flu several months ago and my squat went from 205 lbs to 175 lbs and struggling at it, I was very demoralized.. but Fit-gaf told me it's how it is, you lose a lot of strength but work from that point up and you come back and that's what is going to happen.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah was definitely demoralizing at first not being able to do the weight I wanted and continually lowering it. Sucks I have to do a slight reset but I'm just glad to be healthy enough to be back in the gym. Sucked being too sick or weak to go these past 3 weeks.

BadTaste

I can't even do 1 pull-up, if feels as if my shoulders would end up dislocating.

Chin-ups I can do just fine though, I can do 15 (maybe more) in 1 set compared to only 10 reps 2 weeks ago.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even do 1 pull-up, if feels as if my shoulders would end up dislocating.

Chin-ups I can do just fine though, I can do 15 (maybe more) in 1 set compared to only 10 reps 2 weeks ago.

That sounds odd... What is a chin-up to you?

sphinx

the piano man
but pull-ups are awesome and they separate men from boys.

everybody should do them, by far my first choice for back assistance,

Use knee pad if needed, reduce the helping weight each session and one day, voila, your 1 pull-up and you go from there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, doing that I can only get as far as half of 1 rep.

Interesting. It just seems odd to me that you can do so many underhand pull-ups but not even one overhand. A couple of years ago I couldn't do any pull-ups, either, but I seem to be able to do just about as many overhand as I can underhand.

Just goes to show that everyone is different, I suppose.

genjiZERO

Maybe an obvious question: if I'm having trouble keeping up the calories with whole foods (I just can't physically eat that much in a day) I can just drink several protein shakes a day right (even on off days)? Is there any reason I shouldn't be doing that? Is there a better way to do it?

Side question: anyone have any brands of unflavored whey protein they like?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You never know man, if you guys didn't back me up I may have been Jefferson deadlifting instead of traditional deadlifts!
Hell, make up your own odd deadlift and call it the Soka deadlift! Make sure to document it for us too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So when trying to show my gf how to squat I figured I'd start with bar squats since I've been laying off that since my left knee started bothering me a while back. Now I've developed a new click in my left knee to go with my right knee crepitus. This is most definitely a tracking issue that just won't got away. Seriously any recommendations?

Does anyone else here enjoy back workouts more than any other body part? Deadlifts. T-bar rows. Seated cable rows. Bent-over bb rows. One-hand dumbbell rows. Pull-ups. Chins. Etc. So many wonderful ways to hit it.

On a different topic, what do you guys see as the upper range on unweighted dips? I can do about four sets of 16 comfortably at 6'2" 218lbs. I'm assuming I should be strictly using added weight now and stay in the 8-10 rep range? What do you guys think?

Does anyone else here enjoy back workouts more than any other body part? Deadlifts. T-bar rows. Seated cable rows. Bent-over bb rows. One-hand dumbbell rows. Pull-ups. Chins. Etc. So many wonderful ways to hit it.

On a different topic, what do you guys see as the upper range on unweighted dips? I can do about four sets of 16 comfortably at 6'2" 218lbs. I'm assuming I should be strictly using added weight now and stay in the 8-10 rep range? What do you guys think?

6'2 198lbs here.

I can do about 20 unweighted ring dips for sets of 4. But rings are a bit different.

I do sets of 8 rings dips @55lbs.

6'2 198lbs here.

I can do about 20 unweighted ring dips for sets of 4. But rings are a bit different.

I do sets of 8 rings dips @55lbs.
Dem rings are no joke man. Your stabilizer muscles get a hell of a workout on them. Good stuff. I'll start doing 35 lbs and seeing how it goes. Will report back Wednesday on chest day. Anyone else doing weighted dips?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Dem rings are no joke man. Your stabilizer muscles get a hell of a workout on them. Good stuff. I'll start doing 35 lbs and seeing how it goes. Will report back Wednesday on chest day. Anyone else doing weighted dips?
I worked up to doing 6 with 160lbs for a few months. That was back when I cared more about hitting PRs. Dips are great.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What do you guys think of Ice Cream fitness? I've seen a lot of people claim it's pretty good, but I see one aspect that I thought goes against a lot of what I heard about muscle building: it takes around 2 hours per workout. Isn't that way too long? Don't most workouts recommend going no higher than 1 hour at the most?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What do you guys think of Ice Cream fitness? I've seen a lot of people claim it's pretty good, but I see one aspect that I thought goes against a lot of what I heard about muscle building: it takes around 2 hours per workout. Isn't that way too long? Don't most workouts recommend going no higher than 1 hour at the most?

Don't know about ICF but I'm usually in the gym about 2 hours.

Magik

Really? Isn't that bad, though?

That depends on a number of factors though. Are you a novice, beginner, intermediate, or higher? What are your goals? etc.

At the end of the day, if it feels as if the program is going to take up too much time or you don't have the time, cut the sets down or switch to another program similar to it.

Powercast

Are you talking about his 5x5 program? I think its really good, maybe a bit higher volume than usual but Jason is pretty knowledgeable.

Szu

The beard of power has been laid to rest. RIP BEARDY.

mgs3-snake-salute.jpg

Petrie

Banned
Went to my doctor yesterday and though all my relevant diabetes numbers were good, she's concerned as in September I weighed in at 185 and yesterday I was 205lbs. At least part of that is clothes and water weight, but it's still depressing knowing that during the months I couldn't lift I still had a huge appetite and it obviously bit me in the ass. Some of that gain should still be muscle given that I lifted for 2 months after that and have been going again for a few weeks now, but obviously I managed to pack on like 10lbs of fat! Fuck me!

I'm thinking in addition to the modified SS program I'm doing for a bit, I'm going to start training for a marathon. I'll just keep on the easier lifting program with 2 main lifts per workout 3 times a week. I want to keep gaining strength, but I can't pretend aesthetic goals aren't at the top of my mind.

Apparently I also have a slightly low white blood cell count that needs to be watched. I hate how my body just functions like shit.

They don't! Sure it produces an insulin response but there's nothing there for the insulin to store it doesn't count! XD

Speak for yourself with your damn insulin responses!

mt1200

2 weeks and I still can't get below my current 60.5Kg weight (Goal: 56Kg or below) even though i've been doing crazy-ass intense group classes and some interval training in the treadmill.

I guess i'll have to cut down my daily nuts due to the fat contents, since I'm eating whole boiled eggs too, and I don't want to waste eggyolks.

ILoveBish

My usual session at the gym is 1-1.5 hours. Im going to be adding lunges to my routine, anyone have anything in particular to comment about them? Mostly doing them for inner thigh work, my inner thigh is the only part of the leg thats not super muscular compared to the rest of my leg.

SeanR1221

Went to my doctor yesterday and though all my relevant diabetes numbers were good, she's concerned as in September I weighed in at 185 and yesterday I was 205lbs. At least part of that is clothes and water weight, but it's still depressing knowing that during the months I couldn't lift I still had a huge appetite and it obviously bit me in the ass. Some of that gain should still be muscle given that I lifted for 2 months after that and have been going again for a few weeks now, but obviously I managed to pack on like 10lbs of fat! Fuck me!

I'm thinking in addition to the modified SS program I'm doing for a bit, I'm going to start training for a marathon. I'll just keep on the easier lifting program with 2 main lifts per workout 3 times a week. I want to keep gaining strength, but I can't pretend aesthetic goals aren't at the top of my mind.

Apparently I also have a slightly low white blood cell count that needs to be watched. I hate how my body just functions like shit.

Speak for yourself with your damn insulin responses!

Another aboard the cut train. Choo choo!

The beard of power has been laid to rest. RIP BEARDY.

Ahh, Conker's Bad Fur Day. What a great game.

Was it by choice or did a riot force your hand?

2 weeks and I still can't get below my current 60.5Kg weight (Goal: 56Kg or below) even though i've been doing crazy-ass intense group classes and some interval training in the treadmill.

I guess i'll have to cut down my daily nuts due to the fat contents, since I'm eating whole boiled eggs too, and I don't want to waste eggyolks.

Male/female? How much do you eat a day? Relevant BodyRecomposition Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom