• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Why not? Maybe try 195 6 times, 215 5 times, and finish with 225-230 until failure? Just a suggestion.

Yeah...I kinda did that every once in a while (mostly because my ego needed to know I could do 225 for a few reps), not sure why I don't just stick with that. Before I tried the SS method I always increased weight for every set; guess it's time to go back to that.

You know, I was stuck for awhile and using chains really helped me. They are lighter at the bottom due to resting on the ground and then become heavier near the top. Worked well to help me ease past my stall.

That's actually an interesting suggestion...I may look into that!

This weight seems to be right around where I've always maxed out on bench. Was maybe 5 pounds less than this for a month before I broke my back/ankle in June, then when I got back my strength after 4 months of no lifting, here I am again.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah...I kinda did that every once in a while (mostly because my ego needed to know I could do 225 for a few reps), not sure why I don't just stick with that. Before I tried the SS method I always increased weight for every set; guess it's time to go back to that.

Chains are great too! Great suggestion.

I've actually never picked a weight and done it for the same amount of reps for a certain number of sets. Maybe I should? Always done a pyramid where I up the weight each set while I decrease the reps.

I haven't done OHP since July/August. Decided to do it today and was able to get 2 reps @ 200 lbs. 225 lbs will definitely be a goal for me this year.

Husker86

Chains are great too! Great suggestion.

I've actually never picked a weight and done it for the same amount of reps for a certain number of sets. Maybe I should? Always done a pyramid where I up the weight each set while I decrease the reps.

I'm sure you're past the point of that sort of routine. I was trying to do SS, but I had already been lifting for a while and linear progression didn't last long even after starting at a lower than normal weight for me.

I still think the increasing amounts each set makes more sense to me personally, so I'm going back to that. It's just slightly more dangerous for me without a spotter, but I have yet to fail knowing what my last rep is.
famous last words

sphinx

the piano man

haven't seen the results, but wouldn't a bodybuilder win the contest based on the low weight/high rep nature of their workouts? After that probably a strongman, they are used to taking a royal beating..

just guessing, I have no idea lol I'll watch and see.

EDIT:
lol, completely wrong, lesson learned, haha, I didn't give my first comment much thought, actually the higher your 1RM, the easier to do lower weights for many reps, this was today's "duuhh" moment for me, haha.

ILoveBish

5th cycle of 5/3/1, 3rd day (bench) done successfully. Was brutal, but getting there. I tried to do lunges, but my legs dont bend enough, im just not flexible enough. Going to have to do the abductor thigh machine, ive been wanting to not use it, but no choice anymore, dem inner thighs gotta get built.

I've begun experimenting with IF, and i did a 17 hour fast the other day successfully. So going to experiment some more before i start doing that, want to just experiment and try out different things. Tomorrow is last day of 5's week (squats), looking so forward to it, since 5's week is what kills me the most on 5/3/1.

GAINZ TRAIN don't stop, already 195 dehydrated and bf dropped.

Will have an easy arms workout tonight cgbp, chinups, db curl, lte...

Eating anything to get them calories.

damn them hot dogs look bomb

I haven't done OHP since July/August. Decided to do it today and was able to get 2 reps @ 200 lbs. 225 lbs will definitely be a goal for me this year.

I knew you were beastly, didn't realize your OHP was so beastly as well though

Samara

Personal best on one rep max front squat yesterday

I think it was about a month ago when I did 205 lbs and just yesterday I hit 225. I don't know how I managed to jump that high up but I'm happy with it. I was so giddy after I did it. Also lost about 10 lbs since last month. Female, btw.

Wow, thats amazing. What is the start with this? Start with half your weight? I tried lifting a hundred pound barbell...not one inch of movement.

dumb question time

whats the difference between a powerlifter, weightlifter, and a strongman?

Powerlifter = competes in squat, bench, deadlift

Weightlifter = competes in snatch and clean and jerk

Strongman = competes in atlas stones, log press, truck pulls and other assorted events based on repetition and conditioning

Wb0H799.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
haven't seen the results, but wouldn't a bodybuilder win the contest based on the low weight/high rep nature of their workouts? After that probably a strongman, they are used to taking a royal beating..

just guessing, I have no idea lol I'll watch and see.

EDIT:
lol, completely wrong, lesson learned, haha, I didn't give my first comment much thought, actually the higher your 1RM, the easier to do lower weights for many reps, this was today's "duuhh" moment for me, haha.

That's exactly what I was suspecting going into it. Was surprised by the results! Also was very impressed by how many reps the strongman managed considering the weight he was squatting.

That's exactly what I was suspecting going into it. Was surprised by the results! Also was very impressed by how many reps the strongman managed considering the weight he was squatting.

Not surprised at all. Olympic lifters are basically doing squats every day. Your form has to be near perfect to compete, so they are both efficient and strong at squats.

Personal best on one rep max front squat yesterday

I think it was about a month ago when I did 205 lbs and just yesterday I hit 225. I don't know how I managed to jump that high up but I'm happy with it. I was so giddy after I did it. Also lost about 10 lbs since last month. Female, btw.

Nice work, been stuck at 185 x 5 for 4 sets, 225 feels super heavy for some reason and my form breaks down whereas 205 doesn't feel too bad. How many days a week do you FS?

J. Bravo

yeah i went to my gnc and they said they don't have them yet :( bought a box of pb&j instead, first time having those. they are fantastic.

Cudder

Damn!

Daaaaaaamn!

I might make an exception for 1 of these bars on my cut.

Why would you need to make an exception for eating a Questbar on a cut? Their profile makeup is pretty good, and they satisfy the sweet tooth don't they? Seems like Questbars are perfect for cutting.

I just got back from looking for some. Empty handed. :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Why would you need to make an exception for eating a Questbar on a cut? Their profile makeup is pretty good, and they satisfy the sweet tooth don't they? Seems like Questbars are perfect for cutting.

Seems like? They are sent down from the heavens just for people cutting. I didn't have one during my bulk. They lose almost all of their value if you are fighting to get calories.

SeanR1221

Sticking to my diet 100% and I'm not using any artificial sweeteners. Tired of being fat :/ so I'm going HAM on this.

I really should start doing them again but they make me so sad. Especially doing them after a heavy set of back squats. I do enjoy my hack squats and glute raises though. I prolly need more hamstring work more than anything.

Yah, front squats are demoralizing because the weight has to be quite a bit lighter (generally).

Normally it's about 80% or so of your back squat.

I've been working out for a number of years now and i was thinking about trying out creatine, since its still winter and im trying to put on some more muscle mass. What are things i should know? Any particularly good brands? Also, are there any downsides/side-effects? I'm not trying to get crazy but thought id try something new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom