• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

I've been working out for a number of years now and i was thinking about trying out creatine, since its still winter and im trying to put on some more muscle mass. What are things i should know? Any particularly good brands? Also, are there any downsides/side-effects? I'm not trying to get crazy but thought id try something new

Don't. Unless you want to ruin your life.

iddqd

How are people dealing with spouses that bake cakes, make brownies and order pizza a lot?

I love my wife but holy hell is it difficult to keep a clean diet with all this shit around.
Cheating day becomes cheating days and 1, 2, 3 all is bloat.

The worst is, that even when I'm able to say "no" it KILLS ME if the stuff gets thrown out.
KILLS ME. It's times like that when I become the garbage bin that rather eats it..
Sorry for the rant..

With front squats the limiting factor is my core, i got plenty of shoulder flexibility but it's such a struggle to keep upright.

Oh and cardio too, 3 reps in and veins are popping out of my forehead.

How are people dealing with spouses that bake cakes, make brownies and order pizza a lot?

I love my wife but holy hell is it difficult to keep a clean diet with all this shit around.
Cheating day becomes cheating days and 1, 2, 3 all is bloat.

The worst is, that even when I'm able to say "no" it KILLS ME if the stuff gets thrown out.
KILLS ME. It's times like that when I become the garbage bin that rather eats it..
Sorry for the rant..

I never plan for cheat days or meals anymore because I know my fiancee will want to eat out, will buy too much junk food, etc, so I just eat her leftovers. I hate wasting food too.

Cudder

I've been working out for a number of years now and i was thinking about trying out creatine, since its still winter and im trying to put on some more muscle mass. What are things i should know? Any particularly good brands? Also, are there any downsides/side-effects? I'm not trying to get crazy but thought id try something new

my friend took creatine once, now he's in jail for a rage induced assault. stay safe.

SeanR1221

non fun answer

Just buy whatever brand, take 5g a day (no need for a "loading phase") and don't expect miracles, maybe an extra rep or 2.

Veelk

Banned
So I had my first failure today, doing squats. It was at 60 lbs (do you say 60, because that's how much you put on the barbell? Or 30 on each side? Or just 95 since that's the total weight?)

It was probably because I had the genius idea of running 3 blocks to the gym. I thought it'd be a good warm up, but as soon as I put the weight on, I could feel that I'd probably mess it up. I actually felt a bit scared. I tried, but after a 1 or 2 reps, I'd lose balance, and have to take a little break, then I went back, same thing. It wasn't working, so I went down to 50 lbs. It was better, but still iffy. So 40 it was, for the first set. After that, I felt comfortable enough to do the next set with 50. Then the last with 60. I managed the first set fine. Then the second set. Then I was doing the 3rd set and I stumbled after the 2nd rep. Then I tried again, stumbled on the first. And I was getting pissed off, because if I failed the next one, I'd just have to stop. Not to mention, my arms are not yet strong enough to lift 95 lbs, so I had to take the weights off before I could put the barbell on the...hooks or whatever. That was embarassing :( But dammit, I was determined. I am NOT fucking this up, I said to myself. And I managed the 5 reps, struggling climatically on the last one before making it.

So there, the 60 lbs squat done, and like 15 others of varying weights.

Another factor that made have contributed to my failure is that I was doing some excercises yesterday. I know its suppose to be my rest day, but now I have more energy than I am used to so I had to spend it a bit. I mean, its just squats without anything and I didn't do anything that even remotely tired me at any point.

So what the hell happened? And where do I go from here? Do I work on the 60 lbs squat until I can do it on the regular, or do I keep pushing with 70?

Edit: Wait, am I suppose to keep my heels on the ground as I squat? None of my friends gym goers seemed to mention this but I just saw the video above and it says that's bad. Please tell me I haven't been doing it wrong the whole time?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Start 18,000sq ft of hardwood bamboo flooring this week and a few thousand sq ft of tile with cement base...shit will be brutal. Have to carry that shit up stairs along with the cement bags...gonna up my calories to 8,000 lol. Look forward to being on my knees laying shit down and trying to squat after work...

Tarps are like weeds.

http://i.imgur.com/qDfLqxB.jpg

G3QkTvX.jpg

I had a friend who took Creatine once

...once

Cooper

So I had my first failure today, doing squats. It was at 60 lbs (do you say 60, because that's how much you put on the barbell? Or 30 on each side? Or just 95 since that's the total weight?)

An Olympic or standard powerlifting bar is 45 pounds (20 kg). There are women's Olympic bars that are 15 kg, but I'd be surprised if you used one. I don't know where you lift, but I almost never see them at chain gyms. So if you used a standard bar and added 60 pounds total, you lifted 105 pounds.

Anyway, report the weight as total weight, i.e. bar + weights.

Veelk said:
It was probably because I had the genius idea of running 3 blocks to the gym. I thought it'd be a good warm up, but as soon as I put the weight on, I could feel that I'd probably mess it up.

I know you were somewhat warm from running, but it's still a good idea to lift with a reduced load before going to your working set. Did you do any lifts with the empty bar before loading it?

Veelk said:
Not to mention, my arms are not yet strong enough to lift 95 lbs, so I had to take the weights off before I could put the barbell on the...hooks or whatever. That was embarassing :( But dammit, I was determined. I am NOT fucking this up, I said to myself. And I managed the 5 reps, struggling climatically on the last one before making it.

What's embarrassing? Assuming you were doing a standard back squat, it's typical to put the empty bar on the pegs and load it in a position where you can then step right under it.

Veelk said:
So what the hell happened? And where do I go from here? Do I work on the 60 lbs squat until I can do it on the regular, or do I keep pushing with 70?

Edit: Wait, am I suppose to keep my heels on the ground as I squat? None of my friends gym goers seemed to mention this but I just saw the video above and it says that's bad. Please tell me I haven't been doing it wrong the whole time?

The general rule is to have solid form before increasing your weight. Increasing the weight too rapidly will only get you injured, not strong. Your heels should stay firmly on the ground. You should probably skim through this thread for various squat info videos.

Start 18,000sq ft of hardwood bamboo flooring this week and a few thousand sq ft of tile with cement base...shit will be brutal. Have to carry that shit up stairs along with the cement bags...gonna up my calories to 8,000 lol. Look forward to being on my knees laying shit down and trying to squat after work...

Tarps are like weeds.
Wtf, even when I train with a focus on trap size I don't get that kind of size. It's my weakest muscle. So jelly.

So I just made myself heaven on a plate. Banana oatmeal pancakes:

1 cup of finely processed oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 scoop vanilla whey
dash of cinnamon

combine with

2 eggs (or 4-6 egg whites I would assume)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup of almond milk
1 banana processed/puree'd

Cook on griddle till each side is golden brown. Can top with agave, honey, PB2, greek yogurt, or w/e the fuck you want.

EAT. ORGASM. GO FUCKING LIFT.

Wtf, even when I train with a focus on trap size I don't get that kind of size. It's my weakest muscle. So jelly.

So I just made myself heaven on a plate. Banana oatmeal pancakes:

1 cup of finely processed oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 scoop vanilla whey
dash of cinnamon

combine with

2 eggs (or 4-6 egg whites I would assume)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup of almond milk
1 banana processed/puree'd

Cook on griddle till each side is golden brown. Can top with agave, honey, PB2, greek yogurt, or w/e the fuck you want.

EAT. ORGASM. GO FUCKING LIFT.

sounds yum, will consume

and yeah, MTP's traps are insane. Hard work + genetics = crazy delicious

sphinx

the piano man
I usually don't post things that make fun of people but some friend linked me to this

These 20 Photos Prove That Skipping Leg Day Is Never Okay (Photos)

to judge many of those guys just by looking at the pics themselves is a bit unfair, I think some are known to have had some disease or impediment, and some others like the first one are obvious-at-first-sight, untrained people so turning them into internet memes is a very assholish move.

that being said, I can absolutely differentiate between legs that have received training but have shit genetics and completely, neglected legs.

the guy with the lady friend has trained them but has bad genes, the guy holding the crate, for example, is a very clear offender. it took something like 4-5 years to get those arms all the while not having a leg day, not once and the ratio from upper body to lower body must be like 5:1 in my gym, so yeah, skipping leg day is definitely true.

DON'T be that guy!

mt1200

I've just realized how much time and effort i've wasted...

I read that if you go above 70% of your max heart rate, you won't burn much body fat, I didn't pay any attention when I started excercising because I thought it was a myth, but I started reading about today and it seems like a fact.

It might on my HIIT days, but it's a complete waste of time to go beyond 70% (which is about 146bpm in my case) if I'm doing steady state cardio.

I often reach 160-168bpm whenever I do steady state cardio

That might explain why my muscles still look weak and small after almost one goddamn month, in fact, a friend told me that he didn't understand how I still don't have more toned byceps/pecs, he said it's usually the first thing you'll see when you start lifting .

sphinx

the piano man
High expectations or too much time?

High expectations, one month is absolutely nothing.

if you just started working out, then give it at least 3 months and take pics, do not rely on you trying to remember how you looked some months ago, you'd think you've made no progress when in fact you have.

another thing, your muscles looking weak isn't the result of your cardio. How you'll look depends on your weightlifting program and your eating behaviour, those are the 2 deciding factors when talking about muscles, well, sleeping well too.

SeanR1221

High expectations or too much time?, I don't expect to get ripped in only one month, but at least I should start seeing some veins or harder muscles by now.

My legs do feel stronger, though.

Your expectations are WAY too high. Just lift, make linear progress, sleep and eat.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've just realized how much time and effort i've wasted...

I read that if you go above 70% of your max heart rate, you won't burn much body fat, I didn't pay any attention when I started excercising because I thought it was a myth, but I started reading about today and it seems like a fact.

It might on my HIIT days, but it's a complete waste of time to go beyond 70% (which is about 146bpm in my case) if I'm doing steady state cardio.

I often reach 160-168bpm whenever I do steady state cardio

That might explain why my muscles still look weak and small after almost one goddamn month, in fact, a friend told me that he didn't understand how I still don't have more toned byceps/pecs, he said it's usually the first thing you'll see when you start lifting .

One month? That's like barely even starting.

Gotta rein in those expectations. I'm not gonna look even close to how I want for two years. Well, one year now. If you're natural, the progress is slow and steady but the body is an honest machine and won't lie to you.

mt1200

After some googling, it seems like my cheat saturdays (no diet, gym rest, mostly junk food / snacks/carbs but no soda) are a not a bad, but a terrible idea that wastes a whole week of hard work. Time to start thinking about a cheat meal instead of a whole cheat day.

Veelk

Banned
An Olympic or standard powerlifting bar is 45 pounds (20 kg). There are women's Olympic bars that are 15 kg, but I'd be surprised if you used one. I don't know where you lift, but I almost never see them at chain gyms. So if you used a standard bar and added 60 pounds total, you lifted 105 pounds.

Math is not my strong point :/ Yeah, it was 105 lbs.

I know you were somewhat warm from running, but it's still a good idea to lift with a reduced load before going to your working set. Did you do any lifts with the empty bar before loading it?

No, I just sort of dive into it. I'm guessing I should?

What's embarrassing? Assuming you were doing a standard back squat, it's typical to put the empty bar on the pegs and load it in a position where you can then step right under it.

Well, I failed so the bar fell on the safety bars. Since I couldn't lift 105 lbs from there, I had to take the weight off, put the barbell back on the pegs, then load it again. It just sucks I can't lift that without having to unload.

The general rule is to have solid form before increasing your weight. Increasing the weight too rapidly will only get you injured, not strong. Your heels should stay firmly on the ground. You should probably skim through this thread for various squat info videos.
Well fuck....I don't know if I can. Even without any weight, my ankle doesn't seem to move forward enough to support my weight. There is also the fact that I have a slight condition in that my arches are kind of high, which I think affects how flat my feet can go.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After some googling, it seems like my cheat saturdays (no diet, gym rest, mostly junk food / snacks/carbs but no soda) are a not a bad, but a terrible idea that wastes a whole week of hard work. Time to start thinking about a cheat meal instead of a whole cheat day.

The reason why you are not seeing the results you want are because you're looking for insane results.

Track your lifts. Numbers don't lie. And be patient.

IceCold

Stop googling. Lift hard, eat a lot, and sleep a lot. You are doing more harm than good by focusing on the small details and having ridiculous expectations. Arnold Schwarzenegger used to drink his protein with whiskey. No fucks given.

SeanR1221

Math is not my strong point :/ Yeah, it was 105 lbs.

No, I just sort of dive into it. I'm guessing I should?

Well, I failed so the bar fell on the safety bars. Since I couldn't lift 105 lbs from there, I had to take the weight off, put the barbell back on the pegs, then load it again. It just sucks I can't lift that without having to unload.

Well fuck....I don't know if I can. Even without any weight, my ankle doesn't seem to move forward enough to support my weight. There is also the fact that I have a slight condition in that my arches are kind of high, which I think affects how flat my feet can go.

Everyone starts somewhere so stop getting down on yourself. Focus on you and if you're making progression.

Yes, start with the bar and slowly warm up. 20-30lb jumps until you get to your working weight for the day. Lower the reps as your warm ups get heavier (45lb x5, 65x3, etc).

And try taking a video next time. Sounds like you might have some form issues we can look at.

Veelk

Banned
Everyone starts somewhere so stop getting down on yourself. Focus on you and if you're making progression.

Yes, start with the bar and slowly warm up. 20-30lb jumps until you get to your working weight for the day. Lower the reps as your warm ups get heavier (45lb x5, 65x3, etc).

And try taking a video next time. Sounds like you might have some form issues we can look at.

Yeah, yeah, chin up, I know.

It's strange because my weightlifting friends didn't mention anything about it. Anyway, we know whats wrong here. I just don't know how to fix it. My ankles just don't bend that far forward to allow me to maintain my balance during a squat. I have to stand on my toes, or otherwise the squat just isn't happening, no matter the weight or lack thereof.

SeanR1221

flexing my traps will never everrrrrrrr look like that, it is mad impressive

same here but your chest and arms are gdlk, i need some of that

I swear, I look like a guy who lifts but doesn't. I'll never understand it.

You're built like a fucking tank dood. Don't sell yourself short.

That's what's great about the experienced guys. Everyone has a different "look."

I usually don't post things that make fun of people but some friend linked me to this

to judge many of those guys just by looking at the pics themselves is a bit unfair, I think some are known to have had some disease or impediment, and some others like the first one are obvious-at-first-sight, untrained people so turning them into internet memes is a very assholish move.

that being said, I can absolutely differentiate between legs that have received training but have shit genetics and completely, neglected legs.

the guy with the lady friend has trained them but has bad genes, the guy holding the crate, for example, is a very clear offender. it took something like 4-5 years to get those arms all the while not having a leg day, not once and the ratio from upper body to lower body must be like 5:1 in my gym, so yeah, skipping leg day is definitely true.

DON'T be that guy!

I squat 2-3x a week and don't have any leg growth like what so ever, one day FS and and 1-2x for BS, usually run 4-5 sets of 4-5 reps and a few sets after for hypertrophy.

Zoe

Yeah, yeah, chin up, I know.

It's strange because my weightlifting friends didn't mention anything about it. Anyway, we know whats wrong here. I just don't know how to fix it. My ankles just don't bend that far forward to allow me to maintain my balance during a squat. I have to stand on my toes, or otherwise the squat just isn't happening, no matter the weight or lack thereof.

Start doing stretches, you need to lengthen your Achilles tendon. Do calf stretches and hold weightless squats as low as you can possibly go with just a step past keeping your heels on the ground.

I squat 2-3x a week and don't have any leg growth like what so ever, one day FS and and 1-2x for BS, usually run 4-5 sets of 4-5 reps and a few sets after for hypertrophy.

Lift more, eat more.

Gonna be that guy, but olympic lifting will make your back, traps, and legs insane. I highly recommend it if you want big legs.

olympic-lifter-physique.jpeg

Samara

DON'T be that guy!

I don't know, some of them look like they have a firm tushy. Pretty hard to hit calves anyway. Much easier to show off arms than legs. Guys don't usually wear tight pants, so they don't care.

Edit/ look at dem thighs. Not even flexing.

Any suggestions for warmup sets?

(e.g.) I do 3x5 reps with 150lbs on bench right now.

For warmup I do, very roughly:
6 reps (bar)
3 reps (115lb)
2 reps (135lb)
then go into my proper sets.

Is this about right? Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom