• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

At the moment, I seem to be aware what the problem is. I'll take a video when I have more flexibility with my Achilles tendon to do the squat right. I don't really have a way to record myself atm anyway. Until then....what am I suppose to do? Continue performing the squat as I have been or do I really need to start over on the program?

And before, I didn't really have a routine. I didn't feel I needed one since I was working with such light weights that there was nothing to warm up to. The 105 failure is the first hit I've taken so far.

Edit: For that stretching video, how long do I have to do it per day, and how many days per week?

It wouldn't hurt to go to a lighter weight while fixing your squat form. Just wondering, what shoes are you wearing while squatting? I'm asking because you said you're stumbling and losing balance. Running shoes would generally shift the weight forward and it could also be the cause of you having to go on your toes.

Stretching frequency? Definitely do it before your lifts; doesn't hurt to do them during your rest days as well. Duration? As long as you want, I do the BB thing for like 30 seconds or more. The first stretch where you are down at the hole? I do it until I feel comfortable down there.
I would highly recommend doing a stretching routine of some sort before your lifts because it'll prep you for your workout and you will thank yourself months or even years down the line as it will decrease the chances of injuries, aches, and/or pain. I could post my routine if you want (disclaimer: I spend about 30 minutes stretching and stuff).

Actually that all made perfect sense. I've been breathing like my mouth is on a straw. Now I tried breathing like I'm about to eat a big cheese burger and felt my stomach push out more.

Can't wait to give it a try on the lifts.
The breathing really changed my squats (and my other lifts) for the better. I hope it works out for you :)
And to continue from what Anton Sugar said. What do you do if you relax your sphincter and shit your pants during the squat? "...What you want to do is expose yourself. You want to yell out loud, 'I JUST SHAT MY PANTS,' in the gym and this is what you're going to do...You're going to take that fecal matter and you're going to smear it all over the power rack, declare it your territory. Give everyone the crazy eyes and I guarantee that no one will fuck with you and your power rack; you now own that power rack. Your gym membership might be terminated, but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do."

blackflag

are you the guy who made that "are you mad?" thread like a year ago in the Offtopic forum?? with everybody jumping at you and telling you you had acne and no legs and shit?

that was the worst fitness thread I have seen in all of neogaf and your face look almost identical, I'd swear that's you.

if you aren't, disregard this entirely and sorry for mistaking you

Oh lawd I remember that thread.

Wufei needs to write a long log of everything he did to get to where he is and then provide it to FitGAF, so we can all grow up to be little Wufeis.

Epic leg workout tonight even though my ass is still sore as fuck. (Don't laugh)

Motivating myself with a pic of myself!

Gotta get bigger.

Ugh I think it is.

I'm fine with his progress, he looks great, but this isn't misc. Dglimitless, keep the attitude to a minimum please.

Big legs poppin

MAN MODE

rage1973

My first attempt at front squat was an epic failure.
I started with 95 lbs and was struggling to keep my elbow up and keep my back upright.
I kept going back to low bar squat movement which made it difficult to keep the weight up on my shoulder. I then took off the weights and just tried the bar and it still felt very awkward. I am going to have to practice every day with just the bar to get used to the movement and keeping my elbow up.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wufei needs to write a long log of everything he did to get to where he is and then provide it to FitGAF, so we can all grow up to be little Wufeis.
Here's my guess for what his log looks like:

-Extreme consistency
-Nutritional discipline
-Pushing himself in the gym

Everything else is almost irrelevant.

Szu

Gotta get bigger.

You gotta get a bigger camera. I don't think your camera can zoom out enough to capture the sheer awesomeness.

I think we need to re-align the new HD camera that they set up on the ISS to Darth's coordinates to experience the scope of those redwoods that are his legs.

Here's my guess for what his log looks like:

-Extreme consistency
-Nutritional discipline
-Pushing himself in the gym

Everything else is almost irrelevant.

BxVMaYF.jpg

It's too simple. I need to steal his trick.

Chocobro

Did anyone here have a toenail removed? How did it affect you going to the gym?

I have a podiatry appointment tomorrow and depending on how results of the anti-fugal treatment are for the last month, I might have to get the toenail removed. I'm not sure how that will affect me going to the gym and my lifts. The only thing I can think of is the pain from wearing socks/shoes in general and during my stretches

ILoveBish

Hmm, light headed in your lifts sounds like you're breathing in but there's a good amount of air in your upper region of your body/neck/face. Y/N? That would most likely be the cause of getting light headed.
It's hard to explain but I breathe into my belly and push it out like I'm about to take a dump throughout the whole lift. I repeat for the consequent reps. It's what I've been doing for a while and I have yet to feel lightheaded. I think OmarIsuf's video explains it nicely.

You wonderful SOB. That video is excellent. What i would do is tighten up my core then breathe into my chest. DAMNIT!!! I'm now so damn psyched for my 3's week at the gym!

Epic leg workout tonight even though my ass is still sore as fuck. (Don't laugh)

Gotta get bigger.

#beastmode

Former fatty doing legs is incredible, i have major trouble with pants for the same reason. What is your waist size darth?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Gotta get bigger.

Ugh I think it is.

I'm fine with his progress, he looks great, but this isn't misc. Dglimitless, keep the attitude to a minimum please.

You're our resident Tom Platz.

; )

Wow, thats amazing. What is the start with this? Start with half your weight? I tried lifting a hundred pound barbell...not one inch of movement.

I was always strong but I was too nervous to start going heavier at first. I just started with what felt comfortable to hold. For me it was about 150 lbs

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone here have a toenail removed? How did it affect you going to the gym?

I have a podiatry appointment tomorrow and depending on how results of the anti-fugal treatment are for the last month, I might have to get the toenail removed. I'm not sure how that will affect me going to the gym and my lifts. The only thing I can think of is the pain from wearing socks/shoes in general and during my stretches

I have no toenails. Life's great without it. Do it posthaste, one of the best things that I've ever had done. You'll be fine.

Veelk

Banned
It wouldn't hurt to go to a lighter weight while fixing your squat form. Just wondering, what shoes are you wearing while squatting? I'm asking because you said you're stumbling and losing balance. Running shoes would generally shift the weight forward and it could also be the cause of you having to go on your toes.

Up until the last workout I had, these boots. They're pretty much my only footwear atm besides shoes specifically made for running. However, I went barefoot since apparently these have too much compression that messes up my squat.

Stretching frequency? Definitely do it before your lifts; doesn't hurt to do them during your rest days as well. Duration? As long as you want, I do the BB thing for like 30 seconds or more. The first stretch where you are down at the hole? I do it until I feel comfortable down there.

I would highly recommend doing a stretching routine of some sort before your lifts because it'll prep you for your workout and you will thank yourself months or even years down the line as it will decrease the chances of injuries, aches, and/or pain. I could post my routine if you want (disclaimer: I spend about 30 minutes stretching and stuff)

I'll definitely stretch before I lift now, but I don't know if I need 30 minutes of it. Moreso because I'm on a schedule with my classes than a lack of desire. But you're saying I can stretch all I want with no penalties (unless I pull a muscle or something, obviously)?

Hour of olympic lifting and then 10x3 @ 315 for back squats. The whole time I dreamed of having DarthWufei's legs.

Today was the first day I looked at my legs and thought... Damn squatting pays off. And I didn't even squat today. Mine are like miniature versions of his. Can't wait to have those behemoths.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cut hasn't affected any lifts so far. 190x4 for OHP tonight. Shoulder is feeling the best it has in many months too! Can we just move on to OT7 now?

Chocobro

OR did it involve a crowbar, a missing clipper, and a lot of alcohol?
That made me cringe lol.
Up until the last workout I had, these boots. They're pretty much my only footwear atm besides shoes specifically made for running. However, I went barefoot since apparently these have too much compression that messes up my squat.

I'll definitely stretch before I lift now, but I don't know if I need 30 minutes of it. Moreso because I'm on a schedule with my classes than a lack of desire. But you're saying I can stretch all I want with no penalties (unless I pull a muscle or something, obviously)?
Oh I see; just wanted to make sure about the footwear. Also, I'm not capable of answering if you can stretch all you want with no penalties (I don't want to make extreme claims or anything).

I feel my 30 minutes of stretching is worth it and will support me in the short and long run, but I understand how tough it is to schedule going to the gym and having to go to classes. Most of the 30 minutes is from foam rolling my IT band and adductors, and SMR glutes with a lacrosse ball. Other than that, my lower body and upper body stretches take about 10-15 minutes. As long as you plan and do stretches, great. Try to include overhead and lateral shoulder dislocations, face pulls, band pull aparts, and external rotations for upper body stretches; they won't take too much time. A few GAFers (not to call them out or anything) that frequent here had shoulder problems or lacked shoulder flexibility and they happened to not do most, if not all, of those stretches I just listed. I'm not sure if it got better for them, I hope it did.

blackflag

I don't really stretch. I really don't have time but it's really starting to affect me negatively.

My shoulders are so big and stiff that I really can't squat comfortably because I have to grip the bar basically at the rack pins. My hamstrings are always tight as well.

Sucks, I'd like to go to some physical therapy or something that will teach me how to get everything mobile. I've seen some sites but I think I need someone to actually help.

Speaking of flexibility. Struggled doing narrow grip overhead squats (like push press width). WAY harder than it sounds, need to get more flexible with my shoulders.

J. Bravo

here it is, 330x10
nasty form and idk if i should even count the 10th rep but w/e.

on a different note, however, i was thinking about adding an olympic day or two and doing some hang cleans, power cleans, c&j, etc. i want to do snatches as well but my shoulders are garbage. how can i improve shoulder flexibility, and what kind of reps and sets and weights should i do for these lifts?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
here it is, 330x10

on a different note, however, i was thinking about adding an olympic day or two and doing some hang cleans, power cleans, c&j, etc. i want to do snatches as well but my shoulders are garbage. how can i improve shoulder flexibility, and what kind of reps and sets and weights should i do for these lifts?

Looked ok to me. Not perfect, but fine. Well done.

here it is, 330x10

Do shoulder dislocates with a broom stick or something, keep working on getting narrower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKLVlYt2Ioc/

Also work on your front rack position. I prefer the Klokov method:
IMG_7509.jpg

As far as reps go, it's generally no more than 5 per set and that's pushing it. Most of my sets look something like this: 60/3, 70/3, 75/3, 80-85/3*3 sets

This is a great website to start: http://spencergarnold.wordpress.com I follow his programming and he's a REALLY legit olympic lifter. He won the american open in 2012. So he's no slouch. He also has a ton of video analysis pieces talking about form and technique: http://vimeo.com/user11312301

SeanR1221

here it is, 330x10

Dunno why you're so down on yourself. Nice job.

One last thing. I'm gonna be a little bit of a douche and recommend you don't do power moves at first. Go full squat. People tend to rely on poor form when doing power version of the lifts and end up with all sorts of bad habits. Start with mainly full range of motion and add power as needed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
here it is, 330x10

Nice stuff! I wish I could figure out my form problem with deadlifts. Gotta keep working on that.

What's your weight/height, by the way? Just by going from how you look in that video, 330 x 10 on deadlift seems damn impressive to me.

Chocobro

Speaking of flexibility. Struggled doing narrow grip overhead squats (like push press width). WAY harder than it sounds, need to get more flexible with my shoulders.
Those are damn tough. I can overhead squat with a grip that's a bit wider than my OHP grip width, but any narrower and the bar is above the front to middle of my skull. Not sure if it counts if I only tried with a dowel rod and not the barbell though haha.
how can i improve shoulder flexibility
Like AJanitor said, shoulder dislocations. Overhead and lateral variants. You can do it with a rigid stick or a resistance band. The stronglift link he gave also covers what I wanted to say. I would also recommend the stretches I listed a few posts above.

J. Bravo

ok thx guys. Just didn't think I was pulling back enough and maybe bouncing the bar. Also didn't think I locked out on the last rep. No matter though. Noemas posts have made me ultra critical haha.

And thanks for the tips on stretching a d power lifts. Janitor, what do you mean by going full squat? I squat a lot.
Nice stuff! I wish I could figure out my form problem with deadlifts. Gotta keep working on that.

What's your weight/height, by the way? Just by going from how you look in that video, 330 x 10 on deadlift seems damn impressive to me.
5'11 7/8" 178lbs. Seriously the Dr wouldn't give me an eighth of an inch.

And thanks for the tips on stretching a d power lifts. Janitor, what do you mean by going full squat? I squat a lot.

A clean begins on the ground is lifted through extension and (due to the weight) you attempt to catch it as low as possible (same with snatch). A power clean means you only bend to parallel at most in the catch.

Physically, you SHOULD be able to clean more than you power clean as you can get under the bar more. But poor form frequently results in people basically reverse curling the bar and just catching it without actually dropping to catch the lift. This means you're shorting yourself in weight and probably not getting the full benefits of the lift.

Power cleans are useful for explosiveness and learning to really push your initial extensions, but it's bad for teaching you how to do the full movements when you're first beginning and can turn into a crutch. I posted a video below that demonstrates the differences (they call it a squat clean, but really it's just called a clean):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpsiAtVx7s

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
5'11 7/8" 178lbs. Seriously the Dr wouldn't give me an eighth of an inch.

Crazy. You got like almost an inch on me and are around 5 pounds heavier, but you look slimmer and are a lot stronger. Really goes to show how much body composition matters.

Anyway, impressive lifts!

RoeBear

So my friend was getting trained by this lady
1221943983079_f.jpg

Decided to jump in with them doing legs. I lasted two exercises before going to the bathroom to throw up around 4 times.

Hour of olympic lifting and then 10x3 @ 315 for back squats. The whole time I dreamed of having DarthWufei's legs.
Man, thanks guys for all the awesome comments. Knowing I can motivate you all in some way makes me work that much harder.

I'm slowly working out of this funk I've been in and you guys have been a big help.

EDIT: ILB, my waist size is around 32"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom