• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 2 pounds this week. That's 7 in 3 weeks.

Nice! you gonna reach shredded status soon. You doing anything special or did you just cut your calories?

I officially start my cut tomorrow. Think I'll try interment fasting and trying to cut out as much dairy as I can. For you people who do interment fasting, how long did it take you to get used to no breakfast? For the longest time breakfast was pretty much my biggest meal of the day so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pretty miserable till I get used to it

Powercast

Nice! you gonna reach shredded status soon. You doing anything special or did you just cut your calories?

I officially start my cut tomorrow. Think I'll try interment fasting and trying to cut out as much dairy as I can. For you people who do interment fasting, how long did it take you to get used to no breakfast? For the longest time breakfast was pretty much my biggest meal of the day so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pretty miserable till I get used to it

Can someone maintain strength on IF diets?
Why just not be in a small caloric deficit, eating as much carbs as possible, with refeed days, so you can actually get stronger while you cut.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did something happen causing you to choose to remove them or you just felt it was better to do overall because the pros heavily outweighed the cons?

Would get ingrown toenails ALL the time. Around senior year of high school (and having my toe stepped on once playing football and the pain was so intense I blacked out) made it an easy decision. Got them both removed for good, and I am a happy, happy man.

OR did it involve a crowbar, a missing clipper, and a lot of alcohol?

Close :(

SeanR1221

Nothing special. Just really bland, plain food and barely any sugar lol

Gotta keep this no cheat train going!! Even this Sunday.

Hey Fit Gaf I have a question for you if you don't mind helping me out. I do 5-3-1 and while I always do my sets without stopping (like 5 squats in a row no rest), lately I've been having trouble getting all five deadlifts without taking a 5-10 second break between each deadlift. Should I just concentrate on this weight until I can bang all 5 out without stopping or is it okay with what I'm doing if I'm only taking a couple seconds rest?

Hey Fit Gaf I have a question for you if you don't mind helping me out. I do 5-3-1 and while I always do my sets without stopping (like 5 squats in a row no rest), lately I've been having trouble getting all five deadlifts without taking a 5-10 second break between each deadlift. Should I just concentrate on this weight until I can bang all 5 out without stopping or is it okay with what I'm doing if I'm only taking a couple seconds rest?

Personally I think it's ok. When it comes to deadlifts I think it's important to reset with proper form. 10 seconds is probably pushing it a bit, but a little bit of a reset is no biggie.

You'll get a lot of answers on this and I can't say which is right. Some say that the moment your hands leave the bar, the set is over. However, someone I trained with who had a monster deadlift, reset his form after ever rep.

I think 10 seconds is long, but 5 seconds sounds like a reasonable range to reset your form.

Now, in the context of the actual 5/3/1 program? I don't know--a big part of 5/3/1 is hitting rep maxes, and I think you need to be consistent if you want to be able to actually judge progress by your rep maxes. For example, is 405x5 with no reset between reps the same as 405x5 with a reset after every rep? Is it really a "rep max" if you are resetting? Rep maxes are supposed to be something you have to grind through and mentally prepare for.

What "gives" when you try to do 5 straight reps? Grip? Your back?

Personally I think it's ok. When it comes to deadlifts I think it's important to reset with proper form. 10 seconds is probably pushing it a bit, but a little bit of a reset is no biggie.

You'll get a lot of answers on this and I can't say which is right. Some say that the moment your hands leave the bar, the set is over. However, someone I trained with who had a monster deadlift, reset his form after ever rep.

I think 10 seconds is long, but 5 seconds sounds like a reasonable range to reset your form.

Now, in the context of the actual 5/3/1 program? I don't know--a big part of 5/3/1 is hitting rep maxes, and I think you need to be consistent if you want to be able to actually judge progress by your rep maxes. For example, is 405x5 with no reset between reps the same as 405x5 with a reset after every rep? Is it really a "rep max" if you are resetting? Rep maxes are supposed to be something you have to grind through and mentally prepare for.

What "gives" when you try to do 5 straight reps? Grip? Your back?

Usually what will give is my grip, sometimes its my lower back if I don't stretch it right the day before (I've had a couple minor back injuries). I just didn't sleep well last night so I had to battle through my workout this morning and know I'm at work battling through that. The last set was 5@415 which for multiple reps is getting up there for me right now (I think my max is 465 right now). I guess I'll try to do a quick reset, and keep it quick. I don't want to sacrifice my form. Thank you both for the help.

Usually what will give is my grip, sometimes its my lower back if I don't stretch it right the day before (I've had a couple minor back injuries). I just didn't sleep well last night so I had to battle through my workout this morning and know I'm at work battling through that. The last set was 5@415 which for multiple reps is getting up there for me right now (I think my max is 465 right now). I guess I'll try to do a quick reset, and keep it quick. I don't want to sacrifice my form. Thank you both for the help.

Not sure what you're doing for accessory work, but 5x10 BBB with deads worked wonders for my grip strength. Grueling as hell, though.

ILoveBish

Man, thanks guys for all the awesome comments. Knowing I can motivate you all in some way makes me work that much harder.

I'm slowly working out of this funk I've been in and you guys have been a big help.

EDIT: ILB, my waist size is around 32"

How do you buy jeans/pants? There is no way 99% of size 32 waist pants can fit those tree trunks. Is everything custom fitted? Or do you just wear gym shorts 24/7?

Chocobro

Dude, tell me about it. I've also been doing Sotts presses (about halfway through this video) ... brutal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9k086aXLk
Oh gosh. My first time seeing that lift and it just hurts to think about doing it. How much weight can a personal normally OHP compared to Scotts Presses?
Chocobro is like a Noema in the making.
Oh stop making me blush Sean haha. I hope I can meet your expectations. Noema has helped me a lot in the very beginning and I appreciate all of his help and effort.
Would get ingrown toenails ALL the time. Around senior year of high school (and having my toe stepped on once playing football and the pain was so intense I blacked out) made it an easy decision. Got them both removed for good, and I am a happy, happy man.
Ohh I see. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you! I can sort of imagine how it is to have ingrown toenails; one of my toenail is starting to being ingrown and the podiatrist told me to cut them straight to stop further facilitating it to become ingrown.
----------------------------------------------------
Good news for me, apparently the podiatrist told me that the biopsy said it isn't an fungal infection and it just the results of discoloration from the impact on the toenail. New toenail is already growing so I'll see how it goes over the next 9 months or so. Looks I can go to the gym today!
----------------------------------------------------
I also want to say Happy Lunar New Year to those here that celebrate it. Today is tough...All vegetables and vegan stuff :( I'm so hungry.

Strength still seems solid as I was able to get 6 reps @ 435 lbs for deads. I might have gotten 1 or 2 more but decided to just leave it at that.

ALL ABOARD! CHOO CHOO!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of flexibility. Struggled doing narrow grip overhead squats (like push press width). WAY harder than it sounds, need to get more flexible with my shoulders.

I tried that a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Just with the bar and only a few sets of 10 reps. The next day... holy shit, my shoulders. I had never experienced DOMS like that. Makes me think I should do more of them and that I'm not working my shoulders enough.

Holy shit I totally didn't know there's a SS DVD. Is it worth buying?

Buy it for the instructions/tips, keep it for teh women lifters.

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U9FDP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sphinx

the piano man
I was meaning to ask this after Brolic's post but who was that dude?

Don't know but it's too bad because Brolic was about to be inspired! Damn!

it was the worst fitness thread in the history of GAF, it even made nice people behave like assholes.

guy was super full of himself and challenged GAF to find someone looking better than him or something, GAF promptly told the guy he still had a way to go (which he has, back then and right now too, looking at the latest pics), then some people called him midget because he wasn't tall, that small guys will forever look like shit, never big or like a man.

don't remember well though, it was all very sad.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Strength still seems solid as I was able to get 6 reps @ 435 lbs for deads. I might have gotten 1 or 2 more but decided to just leave it at that.

ALL ABOARD! CHOO CHOO!

Cutting?

Not even once.

Lunch right now:

2 Quarter Pounders with cheese
Dbl cheese burger
2 super sized fries
Super sized coke
Med coke

Calories? Incalculable.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
it was the worst fitness thread in the history of GAF, it even made nice people behave like assholes.

guy was super full of himself and challenged GAF to find someone looking better than him or something, GAF promptly told the guy he still had a way to go (which he has, back then and right now too, looking at the latest pics), then some people called him midget because he wasn't tall, that small guys will forever look like shit, never big or like a man.

I remember that shit. That OP was like a fine piece of art. Unbelievably tuned to bring out the worst in people. I loved and hated it.

Szu

For those that are curious, here's the thread.

Cutting?

Not even once.

Lunch right now:

Dbl cheese burger
2 super sized fries
Super sized coke
Med coke

Calories? Incalculable.

Man, the meal of champions. There was a week where I went to McDonalds every day cause I just wanted Big Macs.

2 Big Macs
2 McDoubles
1 Spicy McChicken
1 Large fries

So happy. Burger King as well. They do the 2 for $5 on their Chickens and Big Kings. YES PLZ.

Szu

Cutting?

Not even once.

Lunch right now:

Dbl cheese burger
2 super sized fries
Super sized coke
Med coke

Calories? Incalculable.

fainting-lady-o.gif

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Man, the meal of champions. There was a week where I went to McDonalds every day cause I just wanted Big Macs.

2 Big Macs
2 McDoubles
1 Spicy McChicken
1 Large fries

So happy. Burger King as well. They do the 2 for $5 on their Chickens and Big Kings. YES PLZ.

Damn! I can't imagine my health if Mcdonalds was that cheap in Canada...

Paid $15 with a $9.99 for 2 meals coupon...

This only works if you went to college in the 00's and remember Teen Girl Squad from Homestar Runner.

clapclapclapclapclapclapclap

Cheerleader: What DAY is it?
Girls: It's CARB LOAD DAY
Cheerleader: What DAY is it?
Girls: It's CARB LOAD DAY
Cheerleader: Wha we gonna EAT?
Girls: SEVERAL carbs!
Cheerleader: How we gonna get 'em?
Girls: Umm...

So-and-so: Pasta?
What's her face: Sweet potatoes?
The Ugly One: Fruity Pebbles? Is it Fruity Pebbles?

It was A & B. And rice pilaf and Shredded Wheat and popcorn and a lotta milk. Target is 900g between last night PWO and bedtime today, about halfway there with some more cereal about to get poured.

UD 2.0. The road is hard, but the reward is great.

mt1200

So, after more research and googling, it seems like even though the fat burning zone concept is true, it's still a better idea to keep doing moderate-high intensity steady cardio since you still burn more calories and fat on the long run, besides it takes less time.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time all these weeks doing cardio at like 75-85% of my theoretical max HR, but I won't do interval training more than 3 times per week.

This is my current cardio routine gaf:

Sunday: Steady state cardio, 35 min elliptical or spinning machine, 35 min treadmill.
Monday: 45-50min of high intensity spinning group class, 15-20 min treadmill HIIT (including warm up and cool down).
Tuesday: 45 Min of Bodycombat group class, 20 min of treadmill or elliptical steady cardio.
Wednesday: 40 min of steady state cardio, 20 min HIIT on the treadmill.
Thursday: 45 min of crosstech (Hellish circuit like bootcamp) group class, 20 min steady state cardio.
Friday: same as wednesday.

I'll post my lifting routine when I get home.

Oh gosh. My first time seeing that lift and it just hurts to think about doing it. How much weight can a personal normally OHP compared to Scotts Presses?

No clue man. I can do decent weight on the way up, but my flexibility makes it really tough going down. So hard to maintain proper alignment and not just bail. You really feel it stretching your back and shoulders.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I let you down Sean. Almost made 14 straight no cheat days. Had a few cookies and a rice crispy treat last night. I'm pissed at myself right now!

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, we all will! We should create a FitGaf summer body thread in OP come beach time!

I absolutely approve this, everyone from every fitness thread or philosophy whould participate,

god, this fucking winter in Germany is hard, can't wait til April or May,.. :/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I absolutely approve this, everyone from every fitness thread or philosophy whould participate,

god, this fucking winter in Germany is hard, can't wait til April or May,.. :/

It shall be done then! Every added bit of motivation helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom