• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Decided to take the plunge. The adidas website had the adiPower in size 8.5 and I ordered it.
$160 --> $174.20; fucking sales tax :(
. I can't wait to see how it is to squat them in.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Question: the Greyskull LP workout says that you should do bodyweight exercises on your rest days. But isn't the whole point of rest days to..you know, rest?

SeanR1221

Fuck didn't get to the gym till 6:20 and they close at 7. I'm resting and about to do my 1s week of Deads. Might have enough time to squeeze in some front squats....

SeanR1221

I finally found a cookies and cream quest bar.

Oh.

My.

God.

Refused to buy a box. These dark bro magic bars will NOT be entering my house.

Chocobro

Well the gym my friend goes to made some changes. They removed the olympic lifting platform and bumper plates and added seven more power racks for a total of ten power racks. Doesn't look like my friend can drop heavy DLs anymore and do C&J and snatches... Funny things though:
1) they only have seven barbells total at the power racks; you need to steal one from the benching stations to use at the empty power racks.
2) my friend still had to wait for a power rack to use

How would you personally feel if this happened at your gym? Yay? Boo?

I would kind of hate it if it happen at my university gym just because of the bumper plates. But damn, more power racks are so good.

Well off to a good start for teamglutes. Today was brutal:

7 sets of clean and jerks
5 sets of romanian deadlifts
8 sets of front squats
4 sets of overhead lunges

I hurt.

SeanR1221

I bet of you flattened a couple into a big circle, put it in the oven for a little bit, then spread peanut butter on top it would be pretty amazing

I bought a box. I only eat one a day max. But I want more ...

A box a day is a pretty serious habit man, you need to get some help.

I think the ghost made a grab at me yesterday on my final deadlift rep, I knew it was a crap rep I didn't set up right for but I ground it up and now I'm stiff as fuck. Not full-on possession but definitely a spot of ectoplasm on the lower back. Lesson learned.

Epsom salt bath during halftime methinks.

Drake

I finally fixed the shoulder flexibility issue I was having when doing squats, I took 2 weeks off of doing squats and every night I took a hockey stick and held it on my shoulders like it was a barbell. I started with a really wide grip and held it for about 30 seconds. Everyday I narrowed the grip a little more. 2 week of that and no more shoulder pain while doing squats.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
God I'm starting to run low on energy on my cut. I feel fine during lifting but cardio I'm laboring through. Also I feel like my muscles are slower to recover as of late, hoping I can wrap this up in a month and a half.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God I'm starting to run low on energy on my cut. I feel fine during lifting but cardio I'm laboring through. Also I feel like my muscles are slower to recover as of late, hoping I can wrap this up in a month and a half.

Reduce your cardio and/or add some calories.

Super Bowl Sunday.

Time to eat a lot of wings. My muscles are looking flat. Need all the food I can get today!

I made a tray if fried chicken yesterday. Today I'm gonna be monitoring inmates while they watch the Super Bowl. Good times.

moocow

Any of you fitbros read beyond 531? I keep seeing a new routine pop up that gets referenced to it, and I'm wondering if it's worth the time to get the new book and try it out as opposed to the 531 I'm already on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Any of you fitbros read beyond 531? I keep seeing a new routine pop up that gets referenced to it, and I'm wondering if it's worth the time to get the new book and try it out as opposed to the 531 I'm already on.

I was gonna buy it, but Wendler selling out/turning hypocrite kind of soured me.

moocow

I was gonna buy it, but Wendler selling out/turning hypocrite kind of soured me.

I get that. I was reading his tnation article describing it, and it seemed to go on forever and ever about what supplements he takes before he even got to his tiny description of why I should care about the new routine.

PlayDat

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 140lb
  • Goal: 160lb
  • Current Training Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
  • Current Training Equipment Available: University gym
Only been serious about going to the gym since September and still consider myself a novice. I have a couple of questions since starting the second full body routine in the OP about 2 weeks ago.

When alternating between bench and standing press, should I be restarting the cycle each week? Meaning if I bench on Monday and Friday this week should I bench the same days next week or be doing the standing press Monday and Friday, and benching just once on Wednesday?

What about when I fail a set? It hasn't been a huge issue so far since the highest weight I've ever lifted is 135lb, but I go to the gym alone and rarely ever have anyone to spot me. I've failed twice but I was lucky enough that each time someone saw me struggling and pulled the bar off me. Should I try to slide the bar over my head when this happens? Seems like a bad idea.

For chin ups I've been using the dip/chin assist. I haven't been resting my knees on it but I like using that since I can step up a few inches and won't have to jump to grab on. You're palms need to be facing you for chin ups right? I've been holding on to the parallel bars on the back since there's a gap in the middle where I'd normally hold on. Are these still considered chin ups?

moocow

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 140lb
  • Goal: 160lb
  • Current Training Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
  • Current Training Equipment Available: University gym
Only been serious about going to the gym since September and still consider myself a novice. I have a couple of questions since starting the second full body routine in the OP about 2 weeks ago.

When alternating between bench and standing press, should I be restarting the cycle each week? Meaning if I bench on Monday and Friday this week should I bench the same days next week or be doing the standing press Monday and Friday, and benching just once on Wednesday?

What about when I fail a set? It hasn't been a huge issue so far since the highest weight I've ever lifted is 135lb, but I go to the gym alone and rarely ever have anyone to spot me. I've failed twice but I was lucky enough that each time someone saw me struggling and pulled the bar off me. Should I try to slide the bar over my head when this happens? Seems like a bad idea.

For chin ups I've been using the dip/chin assist. I haven't been resting my knees on it but I like using that since I can step up a few inches and won't have to jump to grab on. You're palms need to be facing you for chin ups right? I've been holding on to the parallel bars on the back since there's a gap in the middle where I'd normally hold on. Are these still considered chin ups?

You alternate every workout. So if you work out 3 times a week you do one week ABA then the next BAB and so on and so forth

IF you had people already save your ass twice while benching, either start benching in a power cage or start asking people to spot you, because you WILL hurt yourself. I did jus last week cause I got cocky and benched without a spotter. If you can't do the full reps , just redo the same weight on your next attempt on that exercise. Fail 2 exercises in a row and do a reset of ten or more percent.

Chin ups is palms facing you, pull ups is palms facing away. I don't understand how your set up looks, but it still sounds like a chin up to me.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Is there a general rule of thumb on how many minutes you should wait inbetween sets? I'm getting back into the groove of lifting after a break due to surgery, and I'm going to make a few changes from last year's routine, and one thing I want to do is speed up my workouts by not waiting so damn long in between sets. My past couple workouts I've set the timer on my phone at the beginning of each lift and started each set every 3 minutes. My workouts did seem to go by a little more quickly. 3 minutes is pretty standard isn't it? Or not enough?

Also last year (my second year of lifting) I went up to 3x8. I think I'm going to go back down to 3x5. I was tired of plateauing at certain weights on some lifts. I did seem to build actual muscle a little more quickly than my first year of lifting at 3x5. I may incorporate some supplementary 3x8 smaller/isolation lifts though.

And fuck, I still have problems with squats. I ignored them entirely last year because of it. I don't know if the flexibility in my shoulders is just shit or what, but I can't get my arms into position without my shoulders (and/or wrists) hurting like hell. I did shoulder dislocation stretches with elastic bands all throughout last year and it didn't really seem to help. I see all types of people doing squats, fat, skinny, fit, new to lifting, veterans, and none of them seem to have this problem. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

Is there a general rule of thumb on how many minutes you should wait inbetween sets? I'm getting back into the groove of lifting after a break due to surgery, and I'm going to make a few changes from last year's routine, and one thing I want to do is speed up my workouts by not waiting so damn long in between sets. My past couple workouts I've set the timer on my phone at the beginning of each lift and started each set every 3 minutes. My workouts did seem to go by a little more quickly. 3 minutes is pretty standard isn't it? Or not enough?

3 minutes is fine. On heavy sets I normally wait at least 2-3 minutes. If I'm working on endurance I go with about 60 seconds between sets.

It depends for me though. If it's something like bicep curls, I don't wait long. If I'm doing 200lbs+ clean and jerks, I rest for 3 minutes or so. It's just so taxing.

And fuck, I still have problems with squats. I ignored them entirely last year because of it. I don't know if the flexibility in my shoulders is just shit or what, but I can't get my arms into position without my shoulders (and/or wrists) hurting like hell. I did shoulder dislocation stretches with elastic bands all throughout last year and it didn't really seem to help. I see all types of people doing squats, fat, skinny, fit, new to lifting, veterans, and none of them seem to have this problem. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

Give me some more details. What kind of squats do you struggle with? Have you tried front squats? Have you tried high bar?

I also would generally recommend the book I mentioned above: Becoming a Supple Leopard. I think it would be really helpful for you.

Cudder

Depends if you're going for strength or bodybuilding. If strength, take as long as you want (not too crazy though). When I get up there in weights I usually take about 10 minutes in between sets for squats.

If you're going for Bodybuilding/muscle building, then try to limit your rests to a couple minutes max. You want that time under tension on your muscle.

despire

I've failed twice but I was lucky enough that each time someone saw me struggling and pulled the bar off me. Should I try to slide the bar over my head when this happens? Seems like a bad idea.

If you've already failed twice in the last two weeks with the OP routine you are using too much weight. Start lower and don't get ahead of yourself.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Depends if you're going for strength or bodybuilding. If strength, take as long as you want (not too crazy though). When I get up there in weights I usually take about 10 minutes in between sets for squats.

If you're going for Bodybuilding/muscle building, then try to limit your rests to a couple minutes max. You want that time under tension on your muscle.

Depends for strength too. If you're doing dynamic work you want to be keeping rest as short as possible (30 sec to a min max). Also 10 min is on the high end. Shorter rest is ideal but rest long enough to remain strong (to keep from limiting your set).
This is something you will learn as you get stronger.

Hey fitbros how many protein shakes do I need to drink a day to reach Rich Piana mode?

kaQFGfZ.jpg

PlayDat

You alternate every workout. So if you work out 3 times a week you do one week ABA then the next BAB and so on and so forth

IF you had people already save your ass twice while benching, either start benching in a power cage or start asking people to spot you, because you WILL hurt yourself. I did jus last week cause I got cocky and benched without a spotter. If you can't do the full reps , just redo the same weight on your next attempt on that exercise. Fail 2 exercises in a row and do a reset of ten or more percent.

Chin ups is palms facing you, pull ups is palms facing away. I don't understand how your set up looks, but it still sounds like a chin up to me.

If you've already failed twice in the last two weeks with the OP routine you are using too much weight. Start lower and don't get ahead of yourself.

Thanks. I didn't make it clear it my post but it has been more than 2 weeks since I last failed a set. Still I'll make sure to ask for spotters in the future.

Walshy

Height: 6ft 3in
Weight: 169lb
Goal: 189lb
Current Training Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
Current Training Equipment Available: The Gym?
Comments:

Hey, Fitness-GAF.

I am about to start my quest to becoming healthier, fitter and stronger tomorrow and I need some advice over diets. I am a complete beginner to lifting but I go on runs regularly (usually doing 5k) and eat healthy already so you can imagine that I have little body fat as it is. I’ve been meaning to put on muscle for a while, but being a student and having two jobs in 2013, I barely managed to go the gym consistently. However, in 2014, I have a lot more time to myself and can start concentrating in getting stronger. The problem I have is a diet, this is the diet I have at the moment:

Breakfast at 6am:
5 Scrambled Eggs with low fat Sausages mixed in or Oats with fruit.
Snack #1 at 9am:
1 Quest Bar
Snack #2 11am:
Beef Jerky
Lunch at 1pm:
Chicken with Brown Rice
Post Workout:
Whey Protein Shake
Dinner:
Anything I fancy which is high in protein/low in fat.

Notes: This is supplemented with at least 3 liters of Water, 2-3 cups of Milk and supplements such as Fish Oil, Zinc etc.
I was just wondering if that is too much or not. I am a complete novice here.

Height: 6ft 3in
Weight: 169lb
Goal: 189lb
Current Training Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
Current Training Equipment Available: The Gym?
Comments:

Hey, Fitness-GAF.

I am about to start my quest to becoming healthier, fitter and stronger tomorrow and I need some advice over diets. I am a complete beginner to lifting but I go on runs regularly (usually doing 5k) and eat healthy already so you can imagine that I have little body fat as it is. I’ve been meaning to put on muscle for a while, but being a student and having two jobs in 2013, I barely managed to go the gym consistently. However, in 2014, I have a lot more time to myself and can start concentrating in getting stronger. The problem I have is a diet, this is the diet I have at the moment:

I was just wondering if that is too much or not. I am a complete novice here.

That could conceivably be too little for weight gain if you're still running regularly. Even without running, you should be tracking the quantity of your dinners more precisely. Very few people can correctly intuit the amount of food they're eating.

Walshy

That could conceivably be too little for weight gain if you're still running regularly. Even without running, you should be tracking the quantity of your dinners more precisely. Very few people can correctly intuit the amount of food they're eating.
I was thinking of limiting the runs I do, and probably do maybe 1-2 a week to the 4-5 I do now.

What would you suggest to do with the diet? Eat more? I think my calorie intake would be around 3000, I could probably ad another meal in somewhere...

Again, apologies if this is a stupid question.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice to see the biggest PED using team in the league be rewarded with referee love and a Superbowl victory. Worst Superbowl Sunday ever for this Niners fan! Blahhhh

Nilaul

Holly shit do pullups develop your abs. Its weird did not expect that.

Ok so Im planning to fix up my routine, of course me being a total noob. I really don't have a routine and I do a set of random exercises targeting a body area.

So I'm enjoying dips (narrow and wide grips), pull-ups (one set of exercises targeting my back, and the other set targeting my biceps and chest). When I do those exercises I push myself by adding weight to myself (10-20kg). Another exercise which I do is bench presses with dumbbells (30 kg each hand). When I do abs I like to rotate the exercises between 3 sets of exercises (either use the abswheel, either do sit ups hanging from the bar just some leg raises and torso raises on the bar). Shoulders are usually done with dumbbells. I usually work 2 days straight and one day off.

Like I said my routine is a mess, and I really need help sorting it out. I do enjoy the bodyweight+ exercises. However it is very difficult to keep track of everything.

Edit : This post if as confusing as my routine

Holly shit do pullups develop your abs. Its weird did not expect that.

Ok so Im planning to fix up my routine, of course me being a total noob, I really don't have a routine, and I do a set of random exercises targeting a body area.

So I'm enjoying dips (narrow and wide grips), pull-ups (one set of exercises targeting my back, and the other set targeting my biceps and chest). When I do those exercises I push myself by adding weight to myself (10-20kg). Another exercise which I do is bench presses with dumbbells (30 kg). Abs are I like to rotate the exercises (either use the abswheel, either do sit ups hanging from the bar just some leg raises and torso raises on the bar). Shoulders are usually done with dumbbells. I usually work 2 days straight and one day off.

Like I said my routine is a mess, and I really need help sorting it out. I do enjoy the bodyweight + exercises. However it is very difficult to keep track of everything.

Straight talk - you need to do starting strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom