• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Holly shit do pullups develop your abs. Its weird did not expect that.

Ok so Im planning to fix up my routine, of course me being a total noob. I really don't have a routine and I do a set of random exercises targeting a body area.

So I'm enjoying dips (narrow and wide grips), pull-ups (one set of exercises targeting my back, and the other set targeting my biceps and chest). When I do those exercises I push myself by adding weight to myself (10-20kg). Another exercise which I do is bench presses with dumbbells (30 kg each hand). When I do abs I like to rotate the exercises between 3 sets of exercises (either use the abswheel, either do sit ups hanging from the bar just some leg raises and torso raises on the bar). Shoulders are usually done with dumbbells. I usually work 2 days straight and one day off.

Like I said my routine is a mess, and I really need help sorting it out. I do enjoy the bodyweight+ exercises. However it is very difficult to keep track of everything.

Edit : This post if as confusing as my routine
Do starting strength.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see the biggest PED using team in the league be rewarded with referee love and a Superbowl victory. Worst Superbowl Sunday ever for this Niners fan! Blahhhh

Some of them use PEDs more than others?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They've been caught more than anyone. Really all we have to go by. But yes, they all do but looking at SEA I'd say it's a cultural thing.

Ah. I have no idea--no interest in professional sports, really. Just always hear rumors about everyone using.

With that said, folks are going crazy in Seattle right now. My neighborhood is usually pretty quiet, but I can hear tons of shouting and fireworks. Pretty nuts. People are quite excited that the Seahawks won for the first time ever.

Nice to see the biggest PED using team in the league be rewarded with referee love and a Superbowl victory. Worst Superbowl Sunday ever for this Niners fan! Blahhhh

Sorry Coorer but as a Raiders fan I'm celebrating so hard after seeing the Broncos embarrassed

wings and pics from earlier

1610003_10151879927916016_1024240342_n.jpg

1797421_10151879928056016_817139785_n.jpg

1779112_10151879928181016_637604675_n.jpg

good day, good times

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Question about deloading.

So say, I'm benching 100 lbs. for 3 sets of 5 and I can't complete that last set. So I'm supposed to decrease the weight by 10% and try again. So the new weight is 90 lbs. Now, do I just do that 90 lbs. for the last set, or do I do it for all 3 sets?

Crub

How many of you are working out alone? I've been wanting to start gymming for the longest time but don't really have anyone to do it with.

How many of you are working out alone? I've been wanting to start gymming for the longest time but don't really have anyone to do it with.
I haven't lifted with anyone in about 2 years. I can't really do it. Most people I meet at the gym that want to workout with me just don't have the dedication, and the ones that do don't really need a partner. I kinda feel that way too. I just ask for spots when i need it.

However when I first started working out. I found someone that went to my university and had him teach me how to lift and "train" me. We basically worked out together for a year and I don't think I would've gotten anywhere today without the guy. Having someone else with you at the start helps keep your motivation high, and when it's not, they'll force you to go anyway. You feel obligated to keep going.

You don't have to have anyone, but it helps. Don't let not finding anyone stop you though.

mt1200

I do, I literally talk to no one at the gym, I only say hi to a few people, I don't really care about going with another person, try getting into some group classes if you get bored doing long cardio, it's both harder (specially my spinning group classes since our instructor is an ex BMX champion, and he pushes us very hard but keeps us motivated) and funnier.

I still can't believe how difficult is to get abs, I just don't know what to do since I see a lot of people from internet forums that have been dieting+excercising and still can't get them even on calorie deficit diets.

In my case, I've lost several pounds but I still have that bodyfat all around my belly, I cling to the hope that it will gradually disappear over months of hard cardio training.

Seriously ripped-gaf how did you get yours?, P90X?.

sphinx

the piano man
I do, I literally talk to no one at the gym, I only say hi to a few people, I don't really care about going with another person, try getting into some group classes if you get bored doing long cardio, it's both harder (specially my spinning group classes since our instructor is an ex BMX champion, and he pushes us very hard but keeps us motivated) and funnier.

I still can't believe how difficult is to get abs, I just don't know what to do since I see a lot of people from internet forums that have been dieting+excercising and still can't get them even on calorie deficit diets.

In my case, I've lost several pounds but I still have that bodyfat all around my belly, I cling to the hope that it will gradually disappear over months of hard cardio training.

try asking BruceLeeroy or Jason_Ultimatum, I think they have the kind of body you are lookinf for.

my guess is that you haven't trained enough, so regardless of how you eat right now, abs won't show because you haven't trained those muscles enough.

I remember when I started doing fitness stuff, I went down to 13% and I never saw any abs, I was solid and flabless but there was not a single glimpse of sixpack. I started eating cause I wanted to get bigger and forgot about abs, many months later when I was like 15 or 16%, they starte showing.

and even when I was 18~19% BF 2 weeks ago, I could feel the sixpacks bumps under the fat and when I do abs, they show, even above the fat.

you were the guy that was annoyed cause you weren't seeing progress in one month.

I won't ask how long you've been training but give it a solid year to see results worth a damn. There are results earlier, indeed, but like I said, your first year everything looks nice and encouraging but you are not going to jump of joy when you look at the mirror (and if you do, then... dat standards..)

summary, you are not going to look muscled/ripped in your first year.

just my opinion,

Bruce and Jason didn't get their bodies following a "3-month, quick, abs secret plan"

Szu

On a side note, my wife who is 7-months pregnant told me that my son has been keeping her awake at night because he kicks really hard.

On the outside, I'm telling my wife that's a good sign because it indicates he's healthy and active.

On the inside, I'm thinking, "That's my boy!!"

velociraptor

So I'm doing a hybrid 5x5/hypertrophy routine. 3 sets unless stated otherwise.

Tuesday (CHEST/TRICEPS)
Bench Press (5x5)
Incline Press (2 sets)
Tricep Cable Pulldown
Weighted Dips
Tricep DB Extension

Wednesday (BACK/BICEPS)
Lat Pulldown
Seated Row
DB Row (2 sets)
Bicep Curl
Weighted Chin Ups

Friday (LEGS/SHOULDERS)
Squats (5x5)
Deadlifts (3x5)
Shoulder Press (5x5)
DB Raises
DB Bent Over Raise

Saturday (ARMS)
Close grip bench press
Weighted Dips
Tricep Extension
Dumbbell Curl
Hammer Curl

Is that too much arm work. I hope I'm not overtraining.

So I'm doing a hybrid 5x5/hypertrophy routine. 3 sets unless stated otherwise.

Tuesday (CHEST/TRICEPS)
Bench Press (5x5)
Incline Press (2 sets)
Tricep Cable Pulldown
Weighted Dips
Tricep DB Extension

Wednesday (BACK/BICEPS)
Lat Pulldown
Seated Row
DB Row (2 sets)
Bicep Curl
Weighted Chin Ups

Friday (LEGS/SHOULDERS)
Squats (5x5)
Deadlifts (3x5)
Shoulder Press (5x5)
DB Raises
DB Bent Over Raise

Saturday (ARMS)
Close grip bench press
Weighted Dips
Tricep Extension
Dumbbell Curl
Hammer Curl

Is that too much arm work. I hope I'm not overtraining.

My personal opinion? That's WAY too little leg work. Squat and deadlifts 1x a week and that's it? No way.

Squat 3x a week at least and add some other core work/leg work.

Hail FitGAF! It is the first Monday of February.

One month trial memberships are expiring.

Ambivalence is once again taking hold of the general population.

The tide of New Year's Resolutioners is receeding.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

And so on.

Gonna be a good week.

My personal opinion? That's WAY too little leg work. Squat and deadlifts 1x a week and that's it? No way.

Squat 3x a week at least and add some other core work/leg work.
Why?

I agree there's too little leg work, and I'm not quite clear on his goals, but I don't see the need for the average person to squat that much. He has an entire day dedicated to arms. I don't think his only goal is the numbers.

I don't know enough about where velociraptor is at to comment on the plan as a whole. Though I would drop the arm day in favor for more leg work and some core stuff. Also do more for leg day, either more exercises, or more squats.

mt1200, eat better, track your cals, and do more cardio. AKA burn more fat. If you hit a plateau, change your diet, change your cardio, take up salsa dancing.

That's how I got my abs anyway. (Not so much salsa dancing).

Servbot24

Banned
I want to start doing squats and deadlifts. Never done them before. Is it going to be awkward at first (like when you first start benching you can lose balance of the bar)? I could always consider getting a trainer to run me through a set.

SeanR1221

I want to start doing squats and deadlifts. Never done them before. Is it going to be awkward at first (like when you first start benching you can lose balance of the bar)? I could always consider getting a trainer to run me through a set.

Buy starting strength and read the chapters first. Then watch the starting strength videos on them. Then look up EliteFTS' series so you think you can squat and so you think you can deadlift.

mt1200

What's better for HIIT training on the treadmill?, 1 min jog, 1 min sprint ? , or 30 sec jog - 30sec sprint?.

I can sprint faster than 11.5Km/h but that will leave me dead-tired in a few reps.

mt1200, eat better, track your cals, and do more cardio. AKA burn more fat. If you hit a plateau, change your diet, change your cardio, take up salsa dancing.

Oh man, I hate dancing/step/zumba classes so much, they're tough but look so lame at the same time.

I'm burning about 550-680 cal every day by cardio alone, so that could be between 3300 and 4080 weekly cals , I'm not sure how to many I burn in the group classes I attend to, but I assume they are about 450 per class because they are tough as hell (Specially spinning as I've said before, last time I checked in a machine and it said 470cals) .

I've tried to count calories and I've calculated that they sum about 1600-1800 cal per day (unless it's my weekly cheat saturday of course, in which I can easily eat 2800+ cals, I fucking love mcdonalds)

velociraptor

Why?

I agree there's too little leg work, and I'm not quite clear on his goals, but I don't see the need for the average person to squat that much. He has an entire day dedicated to arms. I don't think his only goal is the numbers.

I don't know enough about where velociraptor is at to comment on the plan as a whole. Though I would drop the arm day in favor for more leg work and some core stuff. Also do more for leg day, either more exercises, or more squats.

I plan to get strong in all the main lifts but I also want to look good at the same time. I also do ab work on my rest days (cable crunches, leg raises etc) but didn't disclose it. My arms feel tiny compared to the rest of my body hence the entire arms day. However, wanted input.

What additional work could I add for my legs?

SeanR1221

I plan to get strong in all the main lifts but I also want to look good at the same time. I also do ab work on my rest days (cable crunches, leg raises etc) but didn't disclose it. My arms feel tiny compared to the rest of my body hence the entire arms day. However, wanted input.

What additional work could I add for my legs?

Seperate squat and deadlift day. Then do front squats on deadlift day and snatch grip deadlifts on squat day.

Was finally able to get a decently clean OAC negative......after doing weighted chins tho

Gonna clean up my squat routine now, 2x BS days and 1x FS day, gonna go for 235 x 4 sets x 5 reps on BS

Zoe

What's better for HIIT training on the treadmill?, 1 min jog, 1 min sprint ? , or 30 sec jog - 30sec sprint?.

I can sprint faster than 11.5Km/h but that will leave me dead-tired in a few reps.

You would be better off doing that on an elliptical because it would take too long for the treadmill to change speeds with those intervals.

Or you could run outside.

Nilaul

From what I gathered they are two ways to get abs; one is by extreme diet (which also may be unhealthy if done incorrectly) and lots of cardio in order to get low body fat. The other way is by building up your abs to be huge, so that they show even on higher body percent (like one of the guys above said).

Depending on your body type and metabolism shit loads of cardio and dieting might not be the best thing in order to maintain your muscles. The thing is with diets is that if your going to start starving yourself you will also (I think) start cannibalizing your own muscle. So you might want to be careful here.

My gains and physique where hammered by me watching my diet and excessive cardio. Just don't worry too much about your abs they will come.

Why?

Sorry, meant 2x a week. Personally I think that's best, but a leg day would be fine as well depending on goals.

Ha. It was a wing competition. Lots of food for everyone!

lol, I do seem like I tower over everyone. It was a fun time indeed.

And regarding the current talk, that is one thing I need to do more. Isolated core work. I want them fat man abs.

Learn to do heavily weighted swiss ball crunches right and those blocks will poke right through the chub. Been working wonders for me although I am neither as swole nor as fat as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBddP5oW8Y

The form shown at the 20 second mark is good. That crunch shows full flexion and extension without dropping the hips. Just start with a DB on your chest cuz as you start getting heavier trying to keep them behind your head you'll eventually crank the shit out of your neck.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And regarding the current talk, that is one thing I need to do more. Isolated core work. I want them fat man abs.

You mean you want the "Bob Sapp is 380 lbs and has a six pack" fat man abs?

That shit was ridiculous.

Learn to do heavily weighted swiss ball crunches right and those blocks will poke right through the chub. Been working wonders for me although I am neither as swole nor as fat as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBddP5oW8Y

The form shown at the 20 second mark is good. That crunch shows full flexion and extension without dropping the hips. Just start with a DB on your chest cuz as you start getting heavier trying to keep them behind your head you'll eventually crank the shit out of your neck.

Any little bit helps. I don't do enough isolated arm or ab work. Thanks for the link.

You mean you want the "Bob Sapp is 380 lbs and has a six pack" fat man abs?

That shit was ridiculous.

exactly! beast mode

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think that was the result of a distended stomach (steroids gut or the turtle shell).

He had quite the roid gut. SO massive. He was on so much juice in the early 2000s. Tons of fun.

I think that was the result of a distended stomach (steroids gut or the turtle shell).

True, but there are plenty of people whos abs are in full force regardless of their gut. Of course, I'm going in the most natural way possible. Genetics are against me as is time. I really want to just spend more time in the gym but it is a lot harder these days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
True, but there are plenty of people whos abs are in full force regardless of their gut. Of course, I'm going in the most natural way possible. Genetics are against me as is time. I really want to just spend more time in the gym but it is a lot harder these days.

I can't wait until we can get rid of these fucking avatars.

iddqd

I think Bench press might be the lift that screws my health up the most.
I can not keep my elbows and I have trouble keeping the wrists straight once the weight hits the 200s.

Hurts afterwards and I have actually trouble working. Le shit.

I think Bench press might be the lift that screws my health up the most.
I can not keep my elbows and I have trouble keeping the wrists straight once the weight hits the 200s.

Hurts afterwards and I have actually trouble working. Le shit.

Honestly, I rarely bench and when I do 80% of the time it's narrow grip, which did wonders for some shoulder and elbow pain I was having.

I need to lose some weight, but I still got some ab definition. For me, front squat, overhead squats, toes to bar, good mornings, deadlifts, overhead presses, and GHD raises have done plenty for my ab development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom