• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

despire

Fuck I sometimes hate doing regular bench press. I can't help but to press my head/neck in to the bench when I lift the bar off the pins. Makes my neck hurt afterwards. I really need to fix this somehow.

I can't wait until we can get rid of these fucking avatars.

nB6iowE.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck I sometimes hate doing regular bench press. I can't help but to press my head/neck in to the bench when I lift the bar off the pins. Makes my neck hurt afterwards. I really need to fix this somehow.

Arch harder so your upper back/traps are your platform.

velociraptor

It's hard for me to say without really changjng everything you have set up. But I guess on your back day?

Do you think I should cut down on the arm work or is that overtraining? For some reason my arms felt like they were bigger last week than this week. Is overtraining an actual thing?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do you think I should cut down on the arm work or is that overtraining? For some reason my arms felt like they were bigger last week than this week. Is overtraining an actual thing?
Switch to back/tris and chest/bis. Then your arms will get one dedicated day and one indirect day. That will be plenty.

rage1973

I had the same problem and I believe this is how I got my exertion headache.
Now I put extra emphasis on not pushing down with my neck and head and make sure to breathe properly while benching.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Olympic lifting, press, push press, push jerk, pull-ups, rows, weighted ring dips, snatch pulls, weighted ring pushups, snatch grip push presses.

Thanks!

I really don't like doing the bench press, so I'm definitely interested in alternative arm/chest exercises that can give a similar benefit.

Nilaul

Thanks!

I really don't like doing the bench press, so I'm definitely interested in alternative arm/chest exercises that can give a similar benefit.

Bench press with dumbbells, they are funner and safer (if something happens just drop them to the side, meaning you can go to failure). Also you can do other exercises that the bar doesn't allow.

Thanks!

I really like the overhead press. I think for most people it's a good one to do. Olympic lifts are awesome, but really they are too technical for the average person. Unless you really want to do olympic lifting, there's more efficient ways.

I think press/push press are the best options. Snatch grip push presses are one of my favorite. If you have the option of using olympic rings, there's quite a few good options there as well.

I still think bench has it's place, but personally, I think it's an overrated lift and too many people put too much priority on it.

So I would start of lets with 20 kg weighted pull ups and go down? Instead of progressively going up?

Not sure what you're asking, sorry. Starting Strength is a program: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Bench press with dumbbells, they are funner and safer (if something happens just drop them to the side, meaning you can go to failure). Also you can do other exercises that the bar doesn't allow.

Bench press with dumbbells is great, but depending on your strength level, you're going to outgrow them. I don't see many places with 125lbs dumbbells lying around.

Cooter

I really like the overhead press. I think for most people it's a good one to do. Olympic lifts are awesome, but really they are too technical for the average person. Unless you really want to do olympic lifting, there's more efficient ways.

I think press/push press are the best options. Snatch grip push presses are one of my favorite. If you have the option of using olympic rings, there's quite a few good options there as well.

I still think bench has it's place, but personally, I think it's an overrated lift and too many people put too much priority on it.

But I like having big boobies!

Cooter

Haha. I hope no one takes it as "don't bench" I just think there's more than "Dude, what do you bench?!"
Any knowledgeable person cracks up when the first thing a non lifter asks is, "how much you bench?" I enjoy benching but the older I get the less I enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like when people ask how much I bench, I took to bench real well! If they ask me my power clean numbers though... :)

Szu

Any knowledgeable person cracks up when the first thing a non lifter asks is, "how much you bench?" I enjoy benching but the older I get the less I enjoy it.

Cooter, your answer should be, "I don't know, how much does a Prius weigh now?"

Cooter

Cooter, your answer should be, "I don't know, how much does a Prius weigh now?"
Haha. It depends who is asking. Sometimes I'll have a smart ass reply and sometimes I'll just indulge them. I'm quite fond of the, "I don't lift weights, only high intensity yoga," response.

I still find it so odd that any time anyone finds out I work out the first question they seem to ask it "how much do you bench". Why in the world is the bench the de facto indicator of strength for so many people. I find people with big OHP and Deadlift numbers to be much more impressive

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I may end up trying this for a while.

Yeah, I find the overhead press to be a lot of fun. It's probably the most satisfying of arm exercises even if it take a while to progress.

I'm not sure what I dislike about the bench press the most. I just can never get comfortable with it and always feel unbalanced.

On the topic of the bench press, I tried the Smith Machine for the first time yesterday after completing my bench sets. I loaded up the same weight that I was just struggling with for my work sets on the standard bench and gave it a go. Wow... that thing really does most of the work, doesn't it? It barely felt like I was doing anything on the Smith Machine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind most smith bars are less than 45lbs. The ones at my gym are 20lbs

That makes sense. It still felt way easier even with the possible 25 lb. difference.

Is there a rule of thumb in terms of percentages for how much load the Smith Machine takes off? I'd guess not since a lot of that probably depends on the person.

rage1973

Going to try my second attempt at front squatting today.
First attempt was a complete failure as I had trouble just keeping the bar up.

Going to try my second attempt at front squatting today.
First attempt was a complete failure as I had trouble just keeping the bar up.

What the? You went to the gym earlier today and you're going back later? Well anyways, what helped me with front squatting was def. bar position like you said and wrist flexibility, I didn't do any specific wrist training, just racking and re-racking until my wrist felt more comfortable

How are you racking the bar? Cross-grip or oly style? BTW oly-shoes help with everything, literally

Veelk

Banned
Taking a slight change to my schedule, since I had too much homework to do between classes and I'm somewhat tempted to skip the day entirely. Will post later if I actually went, and I want you guys to give me hell if I don't go.

What the? You went to the gym earlier today and you're going back later? Well anyways, what helped me with front squatting was def. bar position like you said and wrist flexibility, I didn't do any specific wrist training, just racking and re-racking until my wrist felt more comfortable

How are you racking the bar? Cross-grip or oly style? BTW oly-shoes help with everything, literally

1208702_10100392566311311_989916706_n.jpg

These are the loves of my life.

Visceir

Been doing bench press with dumbbells since I hurt my shoulder. Now that I'm up to 35 kg DBs it is becoming troublesome to get them up and in position. I can get my reps done but by myself I just can't get them up. Fortunately I've always had someone around who I can ask to lift one up for me.

As the weights get heavier it also becomes slightly more scary. It also kinda sucks that I can only increase the weight in 5 kg increments (2.5 kg each dumbbell) in comparison to raising the weight by 2.5 kg if I could use a barbell.

Been doing bench press with dumbbells since I hurt my shoulder. Now that I'm up to 35 kg DBs it is becoming troublesome to get them up and in position. I can get my reps done but by myself I just can't get them up. Fortunately I've always had someone around who I can ask to lift one up for me.

As the weights get heavier it also becomes slightly more scary. It also kinda sucks that I can only increase the weight in 5 kg increments (2.5 kg each dumbbell) in comparison to raising the weight by 2.5 kg if I could use a barbell.

I feel that dumbbell presses are nice accessory lifts, but it's no bench substitute if you can bench over 200lbs. It's just too difficult to get into position and dropping them is kind of crazy.

rage1973

No my first attempt was on friday.
I tried using two finger grip olympic style

How many of you are working out alone? I've been wanting to start gymming for the longest time but don't really have anyone to do it with.

I don't have a workout partner, but there is an unwritten schedule that the regular crew follows. I try to time my workouts then in case I need a spot, and although I was shy early on, I've become one of the guys and shooting the shit between sets has become my "guy time". This really helps boost my morale.

One of the regulars always has a workout partner or partners. The thing is, he cycles through a rotation of probably six different guys. I get a kick out of it, you never know who he's gonna drag along.

Visceir

I feel that dumbbell presses are nice accessory lifts, but it's no bench substitute if you can bench over 200lbs. It's just too difficult to get into position and dropping them is kind of crazy.

I was at 176 lbs with my barbell bench before I had to take a break. Now I'm slowly working my way up again with dumbbells (77x2 lbs dumbbells)

Just trying to make the best of my current situation (being unable to do barbell bench while my shoulder heals up) and DB press does have some positives sides compared to barbell -- such as range of motion.

It's enjoyable so long I have someone to help me get one dumbbell in position. Gives me more reason to make new friends in the gym!

I was at 176 lbs with my barbell bench before I had to take a break. Now I'm slowly working my way up again with dumbbells (77x2 lbs dumbbells)

Just trying to make the best of my current situation (being unable to do barbell bench while my shoulder heals up) and DB press does have some positives sides compared to barbell -- such as range of motion.

It's enjoyable so long I have someone to help me get one dumbbell in position. Gives me more reason to make new friends in the gym!

This might help. Sitting on the bench with a dumbbell in each hand, balanced on the ends one on each knee. Lie back and thrust your knees up and back keeping them perpendicular to your body. If you get the movement down fluid, you can have the dumbbells end up directly in position above you to start your set.

Example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622ku8i0M14

Visceir

This might help. Sitting on the bench with a dumbbell in each hand, balanced on the ends one on each knee. Lie back and thrust your knees up and back keeping them perpendicular to your body. If you get the movement down fluid, you can have the dumbbells end up directly in position above you to start your set.

Example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622ku8i0M14

Ha, yea I've already youtubed all kinds of instructional videos and help, but its just really rough with heavier weights while doing incline bench press. The scare factor of catching my arm under the wrong angle and having it collapse under the weight isn't exactly encouraging either. I'm making progress though, while I do need help with my heavier sets I can manage getting up the dumbbells for the lighter sets myself (27.5 kg vs 35 kg).

Maybe if I continue practicing it'll get easier, until then I'll continue bothering other people for help, haha.

so a friend of mine has been training to compete in a 'physique' competition. he posted some progress pics and he looks absolutely shredded, but almost sickly. like yeah, obliques are cool and all but his side view pose makes him look smaller than darth's left leg or something. it's crazy, he's about 5'10'' and looks to be at the moment be like 160-165 maybe? he could easily be an imposing 200+ lbs though.

physique competitions. i dont get em.

Powercast

So I'm currently running Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine: http://www.jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf

It's a 4x a week program that calls for 2 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 2 off. I'm running it by alternating between lifting and resting every other day. Is there any reason why this would be a bad way to do the program? I really like the one on one off schedule.

I'm also on a similar upper/lower. But yeah you can do it that way if it fits your schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom