• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociraptor

I need to lose some weight, but I still got some ab definition. For me, front squat, overhead squats, toes to bar, good mornings, deadlifts, overhead presses, and GHD raises have done plenty for my ab development.

I think I should incorporate some good mornings in my routine. How would you recommend they be done? Any good videos for form?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

That's a great squat PR, congrats.

You know you are a strong mofo when you are calling a 445 squat pathetic. Nice work Brolic!

Thanks guys. It was a real grinder. I did 425lbs 5 min before that. I didn't notice how close to high bar I'm doing. Might try to drop the bar lower. Kinda crazy how much my upper back sticks out of the hoodie too.

Not fishing for compliments by calling it a weak lift. There's just plenty of dudes here with a bigger squat and when compared to my other numbers it's pathetic.

Just extremely happy my squat is moving again. And another big dude at gym said he'd help me work on low bar.
Reposting for new page.

http://youtu.be/Wvz4pU6F11I

Rookje

I need to lose some weight, but I still got some ab definition. For me, front squat, overhead squats, toes to bar, good mornings, deadlifts, overhead presses, and GHD raises have done plenty for my ab development.
If I can squat 250 or so, what should be my good mornings be at you think?

SeanR1221

Always great watching you lift big, Shogun. Nice job man.

PS send me some of dat fried chicken you posted up the other day. Looked delicious.

so a friend of mine has been training to compete in a 'physique' competition. he posted some progress pics and he looks absolutely shredded, but almost sickly. like yeah, obliques are cool and all but his side view pose makes him look smaller than darth's left leg or something. it's crazy, he's about 5'10'' and looks to be at the moment be like 160-165 maybe? he could easily be an imposing 200+ lbs though.

physique competitions. i dont get em.
They aren't for everyone, niether is bodybuilding.

You have to take yourself down a pretty extreme road to get stage ready for either physique or bodybuilding. You will lose fat, muscle, and sanity. However there's a rush when you step on stage and people call out your name. Even if you don't win it feels like you've made a huge accomplishment.

Though I've never done it myself yet, just been to some shows and have friends that actively compete.

Don't want to take the thread too far of topic, but I need a winter jacket and I'd rather ask here than the fashion thread. I need something for the rink when I watch my son play hockey, cause I'm hating wearing multiple sweaters, and my current jacket fits horribly - like a tent around the waist and too restrictive at the chest. Most of my shirts are slim fitting fitness gear for that very reason.

Can anyone recommend me a brand/style that is slim in the waist and roomy in the chest? Price isn't a concern.

Don't want to take the thread too far of topic, but I need a winter jacket and I'd rather ask here than the fashion thread. I need something for the rink when I watch my son play hockey, cause I'm hating wearing multiple sweaters, and my current jacket fits horribly - like a tent around the waist and too restrictive at the chest. Most of my shirts are slim fitting fitness gear for that very reason.

Can anyone recommend me a brand/style that is slim in the waist and roomy in the chest? Price isn't a concern.

As a Minnesotan that wears a jacket every day for 7 months: http://marmot.com/products/details/zeus-jacket

I'm a fan of this one. Might be too warm though.

Just extremely happy my squat is moving again. And another big dude at gym said he'd help me work on low bar.
Reposting for new page.

http://youtu.be/Wvz4pU6F11I

Damn, nice lift!

Hard to tell with the bulky clothes, but I was wincing almost expecting the bar to push down through the back of your neck and sever your head. But since you are posting a video of yourself, I knew the outcome.

As a Minnesotan that wears a jacket every day for 7 months: http://marmot.com/products/details/zeus-jacket

I'm a fan of this one. Might be too warm though.

Oh man, perfect. Not to baggy on the waist for a large or XL too I hope.

Chocobro

I'm a bit unsure what is happening the last two workouts. It's getting progressively harder to squat the weight I'm supposed to.

Wednesday: 5/4/3 at 145lb with near perfect form for me
Friday: 4/4/3 at 145lb with alright form
Today/Monday: 145lb felt so wrong and barely got 3. So I dropped it to 140lb and only got 5/4/2.

I unfortunately haven't recorded anything ever since squatting 3x5x110lb.
adiPower should be coming in tomorrow, should I take this opportunity to drop down to a lower weight to work on the squat and get used to the shoes at the same time?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like damn good form in that 110 video. Great depth.

What's your diet like? Also, what time of day do you usually hit the gym?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What's the consensus on feet placement on incline BB bench? I put my feet on the ground but there are pegs for your feet on the bench. Thoughts?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Struggling far too much with dumbbells. I can easily incline 155 for reps, but damn can't even move 120, just feels so unstable with dumbbells.

When guys say they use Chuck Taylors, does any Converse shoe work?

I just have a pair of low tops with a cheap set of silicone laces that I got on ebay. The laces provide a bit of flex near the upper tongue that I prefer for a deep squat.

I'll take a pic in an hour or so wearing it.

Thanks. And pls include jacket size and if you don't mind your waist/height. I'll be ordering online so I'm not sure of large or XL. I'm 6 ft 2 in. and 30/32 waist.

Chocobro

Looks like damn good form in that 110 video. Great depth.

What's your diet like? Also, what time of day do you usually hit the gym?
Thanks, it could be better I think lol. I wish my form stayed consistent up to my current weight. It might have been due to the change in shoes, not sure. The Nike shoe I was wearing in that video had a tiny bit of a raised heel; I'm currently using Chuck Taylors to HB squat.

Diet (as a disclaimer, I don't count my calories because I don't have time to and my mom cooks everything) -
Breakfast: 3 eggs + 2 potatoes + 2 chopped mushrooms + half chopped onion + sometimes shredded cheese.
Lunch: Tupperware of sushi/brown rice with pork/chicken/eel and broccoli
Snack: Sometimes a banana with PB or 1 scoop of whey with 2 cups of milk
Dinner: White rice with chicken/salmon/other meat and vegetables.​
It's really what my mom cooks for lunch and dinner that changes based on the day of the week; some days I finish classes early and I can go home and eat or it's the weekend.

Gym schedule -
Monday and Friday: After I eat breakfast and commute, so around 11:30AM
Wednesday: I have class from 9:30AM - 12:30PM so I eat a bit then go to the gym around 1-1:15 PM​
When guys say they use Chuck Taylors, does any Converse shoe work?
Chuck Taylor All Stars AFAIK. I remember there being a few Converse shoes that has a soft sole when I was buying a pair, definitely something you don't want to squat in. The Chuck Taylor All Stars has a solid sole.

Cooter

Struggling far too much with dumbbells. I can easily incline 155 for reps, but damn can't even move 120, just feels so unstable with dumbbells.
Meaning doing 60lb DBs? Sounds like more shoulder strength is needed.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Meaning doing 60lb DBs? Sounds like more shoulder strength is needed.

I have olympic dumbles and am moving the plates on to them. My wrists feel unstable. Also gets me nervous like they're gonna come down on my face. I think it's partially a mental block.

Zoe

Chuck Taylor All Stars AFAIK. I remember there being a few Converse shoes that has a soft sole when I was buying a pair, definitely something you don't want to squat in. The Chuck Taylor All Stars has a solid sole.

Hmmm, I'll have to see how Target's One Star version compares...

I just have a pair of low tops with a cheap set of silicone laces that I got on ebay. The laces provide a bit of flex near the upper tongue that I prefer for a deep squat.

Thanks. And pls include jacket size and if you don't mind your waist/height. I'll be ordering online so I'm not sure of large or XL. I'm 6 ft 2 in. and 30/32 waist.

zNb5YI6.jpg

6'1, 200lbs, 34inch waist. Jacket size - freaking medium (normally wear large). It fits fine, but the large didn't feel very much bigger when I tried it and they didn't have the color I wanted. You'd be safe with a large probably.

Cooter

I have olympic dumbles and am moving the plates on to them. My wrists feel unstable. Also gets me nervous like they're gonna come down on my face. I think it's partially a mental block.
Hmmm. I think you're right, probably a mental thing. Maybe try getting wrist wraps and see if that gives you more confidence? Also try having a spotter you trust so the fear of dropping them on yourself goes away.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, it could be better I think lol. I wish my form stayed consistent up to my current weight. It might have been due to the change in shoes, not sure. The Nike shoe I was wearing in that video had a tiny bit of a raised heel; I'm currently using Chuck Taylors to HB squat.

Diet (as a disclaimer, I don't count my calories because I don't have time to and my mom cooks everything) -
Breakfast: 3 eggs + 2 potatoes + 2 chopped mushrooms + half chopped onion + sometimes shredded cheese.
Lunch: Tupperware of sushi/brown rice with pork/chicken/eel and broccoli
Snack: Sometimes a banana with PB or 1 scoop of whey with 2 cups of milk
Dinner: White rice with chicken/salmon/other meat and vegetables.​
It's really what my mom cooks for lunch and dinner that changes based on the day of the week; some days I finish classes early and I can go home and eat or it's the weekend.

Gym schedule -
Monday and Friday: After I eat breakfast and commute, so around 11:30AM
Wednesday: I have class from 9:30AM - 12:30PM so I eat a bit then go to the gym around 1-1:15 PM​

Interesting. Definitely doesn't look like you're not eating enough or working out too late in the day or anything.

Maybe you'd benefit from taking a bit longer of a break? The central nervous system does take longer to recover than skeletal muscle tissue, so maybe you're just not giving it a chance to recover? I know I've had some success with breaking through plateaus after taking a week off (usually due to business trips).

I don't know, though, just kind of throwing out ideas.

Also, do you ever do low bar squats? Not sure if those would be easier or harder for you.

Veelk

Banned
Right, so I'm not going afterall. Feel free to insult me and question my sexual prowess, as I deserve it.

Okay, full story, I decided that a monday-wednesday-friday workout wasn't doing it because I have too little time to go to class, go to the gym, go back to my apartment, shower, eat, and then go back to class. It's a very big rush when on Tuesdays, I'm basically free from the time I wake up (usually 7:30) to 11, then free again from 12:30 to 4. Seems like it makes more sense, therefore, to have a work out schedule on Tues-Thurs-Sat.

So tomorrow...here I come!

And to not feel like complete shit, I'll do some stretches and push ups in my room or something :/

Cooter

Right, so I'm not going afterall. Feel free to insult me and question my sexual prowess, as I deserve it.

Okay, full story, I decided that a monday-wednesday-friday workout wasn't doing it because I have too little time to go to class, go to the gym, go back to my apartment, shower, eat, and then go back to class. It's a very big rush when on Tuesdays, I'm basically free from the time I wake up (usually 7:30) to 11, then free again from 12:30 to 4. Seems like it makes more sense, therefore, to have a work out schedule on Tues-Thurs-Sat.

So tomorrow...here I come!

And to not feel like complete shit, I'll do some stretches and push ups in my room or something :/
After your push ups maybe try having your mommy feed you in your high chair you big baby! How was that?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hmmm. I think you're right, probably a mental thing. Maybe try getting wrist wraps and see if that gives you more confidence? Also try having a spotter you trust so the fear of dropping them on yourself goes away.

I like the safety of being able to rack it or rest it on my chest when I completely fail. The only possibility for these seems like they're coming down on your face. But I'm gonna try it flat with some straps in a bit let you know how it goes.

Chocobro

Interesting. Definitely doesn't look like you're not eating enough or working out too late in the day or anything.

Maybe you'd benefit from taking a bit longer of a break? The central nervous system does take longer to recover than skeletal muscle tissue, so maybe you're just not giving it a chance to recover? I know I've had some success with breaking through plateaus after taking a week off (usually due to business trips).

I don't know, though, just kind of throwing out ideas.

Also, do you ever do low bar squats? Not sure if those would be easier or harder for you.

I do appreciate the ideas :)
- I rest anywhere from three to five minutes between sets or until I feel ready.
- I never tried LB squatting. Having the barbell on my traps is pretty comfortable and HB squats have more carryover for when I move into Olympic lifts a few years later.

So I'm kind of out of ideas as to my failures. It could be that I was squatting with a slightly different stance width or foot positioning. Maybe my legs got weaker :(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Not sure if it was the wraps, but it was easy once I got them going, felt very light, but damn getting them into position sucks. What are some recommendations to get them set? Obviously you can't rack em.

Cooter

Not sure if it was the wraps, but it was easy once I got them going, felt very light, but damn getting them into position sucks. What are some recommendations to get them set? Obviously you can't rack em.
There was a video posted last page. Basically put them on your knees, rock back, and when you get down thrown your feet down to the floor and the DBs in the air.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There was a video posted last page. Basically put them on your knees, rock back, and when you get down thrown your feet down to the floor and the DBs in the air.

Alrighty I'm gonna give this a watch thanks a ton! Stupid question, but did you have a bit of trouble at first?

Cooter

Alrighty I'm gonna give this a watch thanks a ton! Stupid question, but did you have a bit of trouble at first?
Of course. Like anything, repetition and being comfortable is the key.

At this point I can get 130s and sometimes 140s up by myself. So it is possible with work. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Little kid playing on a 3DS while her mom (?) does epic deadlifts <3

I do appreciate the ideas :)
- I rest anywhere from three to five minutes between sets or until I feel ready.
- I never tried LB squatting. Having the barbell on my traps is pretty comfortable and HB squats have more carryover for when I move into Olympic lifts a few years later.

So I'm kind of out of ideas as to my failures. It could be that I was squatting with a slightly different stance width or foot positioning. Maybe my legs got weaker :(

Sorry, I meant actually taking days off. Like up to a week of not going to the gym just to recover. It may help, but I've also seen people in here say they've lost strength after being out for a week.

I could never really do high bar because it felt like it was smashing into my bones. Maybe I was holding the bar wrong.

Chocobro

Sorry, I meant actually taking days off. Like up to a week of not going to the gym just to recover. It may help, but I've also seen people in here say they've lost strength after being out for a week.

I could never really do high bar because it felt like it was smashing into my bones. Maybe I was holding the bar wrong.

Ahhh, misinterpretation on my part, sorry.
I was one of those people in here that lost strength after taking a week off :p So I'm hesitant when it comes to voluntarily take a week off. Maybe I'll go with the idea I had in my original post; take it easy on squats and get used to adiPower.

Smashing into your bones? Hmm, that's the first time hearing that. I normally hear people not liking the feeling of having the bar on their traps.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh, misinterpretation on my part, sorry.
I was one of those people in here that lost strength after taking a week off :p So I'm hesitant when it comes to voluntarily take a week off. Maybe I'll go with the idea I had in my original post; take it easy on squats and get used to adiPower.

Smashing into your bones? Hmm, that's the first time hearing that. I normally hear people not liking the feeling of having the bar on their traps.

Maybe my traps just aren't bulky enough? It felt like the weight was resting on my shoulders. I only tried it once early on, though.

There are days I feel really good about my progress, lately, I haven't really. Got a long way to go :(. First time I'm sharing my progress pics with anyone so go easy ;-)

Me 1.5 years ago:

dZIrz5E.jpg

Me recently:

vEAZAKk.jpg

JeHv1p0.jpg

Now to drop that last bit of fat around the waist.

One day, I'll be Darth ;-)

Great progress! Nice traps too.

Might just be loose skin rather than fat at the waist?

Thanks. I owe the traps to olympic lifting.

Might be loose skin, though it feels kinda fatty. Those are actually images from October. I actually started bulking after until just last week and now I'm dropping again. We'll see in a few months if it's loose skin or not. Part of posting here is to keep motivated and see this cut through.

Cooter

Thanks. I owe the traps to olympic lifting.

Might be loose skin, though it feels kinda fatty. Those are actually images from October. I actually started bulking after until just last week and now I'm dropping again. We'll see in a few months if it's loose skin or not. Part of posting here is to keep motivated and see this cut through.
We need you for the FitGaf beach body thread. Don't let us down!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn, nice lift!

Hard to tell with the bulky clothes, but I was wincing almost expecting the bar to push down through the back of your neck and sever your head. But since you are posting a video of yourself, I knew the outcome.

Oh man, perfect. Not to baggy on the waist for a large or XL too I hope.

It's just a high bar squat. The bar is in my traps. When I stall I drive my head/back into the bar which makes it look like that. I actually had a concern th squat was too high looking at it on my phone. But seeing it on my IPad it's clearly deep enough.

It's time to get low bar down.

There are days I feel really good about my progress, lately, I haven't really. Got a long way to go :(. First time I'm sharing my progress pics with anyone so go easy ;-)

Me 1.5 years ago:

dZIrz5E.jpg

Me recently:

vEAZAKk.jpg

JeHv1p0.jpg

Now to drop that last bit of fat around the waist.

One day, I'll be Darth ;-)

Damn good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom