• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Struggling far too much with dumbbells. I can easily incline 155 for reps, but damn can't even move 120, just feels so unstable with dumbbells.

Benching with dumbbells is definitely harder and it's quite common to struggle with ~75 - 80% of your regular barbell bench.

I'd recommend trying to get your warm-up sets up yourself to practice it a little and maybe find someone to help you get one of the dumbbells up in position for your working sets.

Oddly enough I've never really been worried about dropping them on my face, you can always lower them down on your chest in a controlled manner if things seem off.

Found a pair of forgotten adipower shoes in the men's locker room. White, with black stripes and red color scheme. My size and everything, but I couldn't bring myself to take them as my own, and gave them to the lost and found at gym.

Some day. Some day.. I'll be the proud owner of my own pair of adipowers. The dream continues.

ILoveBish

3's week starts tonight, HYPE.

How many of you are working out alone? I've been wanting to start gymming for the longest time but don't really have anyone to do it with.

I started out lifting with someone, and i think when you're very new, its good to have someone whos been around to show you the ropes and basics. I only workout by myself now, i wouldnt have it any other way.

Abs? Strict diet and heavy lifting! FitGaf knows this.

Abs are made in the kitchen etc etc. Lower body fat and lift strong, you will have abs.

sphinx

the piano man
Don't want to take the thread too far of topic, but I need a winter jacket and I'd rather ask here than the fashion thread. I need something for the rink when I watch my son play hockey, cause I'm hating wearing multiple sweaters, and my current jacket fits horribly - like a tent around the waist and too restrictive at the chest. Most of my shirts are slim fitting fitness gear for that very reason.

Can anyone recommend me a brand/style that is slim in the waist and roomy in the chest? Price isn't a concern.

these looks warm enough, every big guy should get one.

548632_446716918723664_737817809_n_zpsf879a152.jpg

What program do you follow? And how long have you been lifting? What are your numbers? Also nice Klokov traps bro!

Hah thanks!

I follow Spencer Arnold's program here: http://spencergarnold.wordpress.com/category/deep-barbell/

I used to follow Outlaw Crossfit (which Spencer Arnold used to help with): http://theoutlawway.com

I began about 2 years ago doing crossfit. I enjoyed it and I have it to thank for getting me into fitness. That said, I had my share of issues with it. So I transitioned into more weightlifting stuff about 1. 5 years ago.

Right now my numbers (which I haven't tested some of these maxes -like my deadlift- in awhile due to the goals of the programming).

Bodyweight (195ish):

Snatch: 185#
Clean and Jerk: 235#
Squat: 375#
Front Squat: 295#
Deadlift: 425#
Bench: 250#

Szu

There are days I feel really good about my progress, lately, I haven't really. Got a long way to go :(. First time I'm sharing my progress pics with anyone so go easy ;-)

Me 1.5 years ago:

dZIrz5E.jpg

Me recently:

vEAZAKk.jpg

JeHv1p0.jpg

Now to drop that last bit of fat around the waist.

One day, I'll be Darth ;-)

Finally, we can place a picture with your posts. As mentioned, great progress, especially after 1.5 years.

Petrie

Banned
Quest bars are about $17 a box on GNC.com today with combination of code FebFuel and ShopDiscover rewards. Just a heads up friends!

theytookourjobz

Hah thanks!

I follow Spencer Arnold's program here: http://spencergarnold.wordpress.com/category/deep-barbell/

I used to follow Outlaw Crossfit (which Spencer Arnold used to help with): http://theoutlawway.com

I began about 2 years ago doing crossfit. I enjoyed it and I have it to thank for getting me into fitness. That said, I had my share of issues with it. So I transitioned into more weightlifting stuff about 1. 5 years ago.

Right now my numbers (which I haven't tested some of these maxes -like my deadlift- in awhile due to the goals of the programming).

Bodyweight (195ish):

Snatch: 185#
Clean and Jerk: 235#
Squat: 375#
Front Squat: 295#
Deadlift: 425#
Bench: 250#

Awesome dude! Be sure to take video of some big lifts for us!

Found a pair of forgotten adipower shoes in the men's locker room. White, with black stripes and red color scheme. My size and everything, but I couldn't bring myself to take them as my own, and gave them to the lost and found at gym.

Some day. Some day.. I'll be the proud owner of my own pair of adipowers. The dream continues.

Now you have to keep an eye out for them and see who they belonged to, you may have dodged a biblical ass-whuppin'. Besides unless you were planning to dye them black the owner would've probably caught you eventually.

AJ great transformation! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be moob-free?

Now you have to keep an eye out for them and see who they belonged to, you may have dodged a biblical ass-whuppin'. Besides unless you were planning to dye them black the owner would've probably caught you eventually.

AJ great transformation! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be moob-free?

Yes, it's nice to walk down stairs and not feel jiggly, that was the worst. One day I was walking down the stairs feeling all fat and bouncy and I was like, "This is not okay at all." Although, I've found that I still feel just as fat a lot of times. Like ... I look at the progress and it's huge, but when I look down I still think "just as fat."

Part of the reason I took pics, because I know it's not true, but it's easy to forget when it's so gradual.

Yes, it's nice to walk down stairs and not feel jiggly, that was the worst. One day I was walking down the stairs feeling all fat and bouncy and I was like, "This is not okay at all." Although, I've found that I still feel just as fat a lot of times. Like ... I look at the progress and it's huge, but when I look down I still think "just as fat."

Part of the reason I took pics, because I know it's not true, but it's easy to forget when it's so gradual.

I still struggle with that sometimes too; just remember, even though you still HAVE fat you want to lose, it doesn't mean you ARE fat. You've learned what you need to do to lose fat so when that becomes the primary goal (you seem to be focusing on strength/technique based on your posts but correct me if I'm wrong) you'll be all set to shed it.

Szu

Same here, but in a slightly different route. I always had a problem with my fat thighs. Whenever I walk around for a while, I would get this inner thigh burn. At a certain point, I stopped feeling it. That's when it hit me that I must have made some significant progress.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Repost:
What's the consensus on feet placement on incline BB bench? I put my feet on the ground but there are pegs for your feet on the bench. Thoughts?

Cut is moving along. Had a solid weekend except for the protein bars my wife made Sunday night. Good stuff. Peanut butter banana and oats. Tons of fiber and a fair amount of protein. I sorta went crazy.

moocow

I think I can get to 180 in the next week or so. 12 more pounds and I get to hit Obese!!

… Unless I am shorter than I tell myself, in which case it will be faster than that , haha.

Szu

What's the consensus on feet placement on incline BB bench? I put my feet on the ground but there are pegs for your feet on the bench. Thoughts?

When I did incline BB, I preferred to put my feet on the ground too. I always saw the pegs as a spot for shorter people to place their feet.

rage1973

Repost:

Cut is moving along. Had a solid weekend except for the protein bars my wife made Sunday night. Good stuff. Peanut butter banana and oats. Tons of fiber and a fair amount of protein. I sorta went crazy.

I always put my feet on the ground.
Just don't cheat and arch your back on the incline bench though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My squat at 185

http://youtu.be/liU-oOoarLI

My depth is ok I guess, a little on the high side but i think i did good

Hard to tell from the angle, but it doesn't look like you're hitting parallel on most of those reps.

Still, didn't you just get started very recently? Already moving to that weight is pretty impressive! I'd recommend dropping the weight a bit if you must and making sure you get that depth, but that's up to you.

Hard to tell from the angle, but it doesn't look like you're hitting parallel on most of those reps.

Still, didn't you just get started very recently? Already moving to that weight is pretty impressive! I'd recommend dropping the weight a bit if you must and making sure you get that depth, but that's up to you.

That's not a little on the high side. That's straight up high. Lower the weight and work on hitting depth before proceeding.

Yea i should drop maybe 5 lbs. Thanks for the critique. I have a SS app on my iphone and I've been following the weight recommendations

despire

Yea i should drop maybe 5 lbs. Thanks for the critique. I have a SS app on my iphone and I've been following the weight recommendations

You should probably drop more than 5lbs since it looks like you're quite high. Did you read the SS book yet? Even if you drop 20lbs or more it will only take a few weeks to get back to same numbers but with better form.

BumRush

Fit Gaf...

For the last 2 years I've been able to dedicate the necessary time (gym 5-6 days a week) and resources (free weights, machines, cables, racks, etc.) to achieving all of my fitness goals (weight, bodyweight, physique). My wife and I are having our first baby in July and I know I'm going to want to be home with her and our baby more than I'll want to be at the gym. I've already started to plan, buying things for the house. Anything you can suggest that would make working out at home a moderately adequate replacement to the gym? Thanks in advance...here's what I already have:

• Treadmill
  • Resistance Bands
  • Flat / Decline Bench
  • Adjustable Weights up to 90 LBS
  • Workout Ball
  • Yoga Mat

Fit Gaf...

For the last 2 years I've been able to dedicate the necessary time (gym 5-6 days a week) and resources (free weights, machines, cables, racks, etc.) to achieving all of my fitness goals (weight, bodyweight, physique). My wife and I are having our first baby in July and I know I'm going to want to be home with her and our baby more than I'll want to be at the gym. I've already started to plan, buying things for the house. Anything you can suggest that would make working out at home a moderately adequate replacement to the gym? Thanks in advance...here's what I already have:

• Treadmill
  • Resistance Bands
  • Flat / Decline Bench
  • Workout Ball
  • Yoga Mat

Concept rower, Air Dyne, Barbell and Squat rack.

Cooter

Fit Gaf...

• Treadmill
  • Resistance Bands
  • Flat / Decline Bench
  • Workout Ball
  • Yoga Mat
As a father of 3 I think your assessment may be a bit off. I think you will actually want to be at the gym during this time. It's a nice therapeutic chance for you to have some me time with the added benefit of staying healthy. Going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week doesn't mean you love your family any less.

sphinx

the piano man
going by the responses to CherryWoodFuton's video, I really though it was going to be like 1/8 squat but I saw the bar getting pretty near the safety rails...

what I'd recommend is try to keep a straight back, sometimes it looks like your torso is about to be parallel to the floor in reps 3-5 (I am exaggerating here...). At higher weights, that will really screw you up.

think about opening your chest, specially when you are at your lowest point. .

offer your tits to the mirror, offer your ass to the floor, the gym is your lover

Szu

Fit Gaf...

• Treadmill
  • Resistance Bands
  • Flat / Decline Bench
  • Workout Ball
  • Yoga Mat

Congrats, my wife and I are having our first baby in April. If you had to be at home, then I would add a secure pull-up bar and some foam rollers. You can also use you new baby for single arm curls. In addition, he/she will gradually increase in weight which will add to the resistance.

BumRush

Congrats, my wife and I are having our first baby in April. If you had to be at home, then I would add a secure pull-up bar and some foam rollers. You can also use you new baby for single arm curls. In addition, he/she will gradually increase in weight which will add to the resistance.

Haha, solid...

I actually do have a pull up bar as well...thanks.

h16b22

Neo Member
Can someone write me up program for a soccer player looking to stay flexible but yet strong and fast,someone mentioned sprinter but I want to maintain flexibility strength and speed.

And carbs are super important for me as a soccer player, but any supplements youd recommend, only true ones seems like that work are creatine and protein from people's responses.

Fuck, I love GOMAD. At 201 now and holding steady (been around 201-203 for my past few workouts) and strength is moving back on up. Up from 186 on 1/6 (I think, don't have my notebook handy...)

I'll do one more week and then cut back. Roommate's buddy noticed I looked bigger--always good to get some positive reinforcement

Spent a few hours Saturday reading in the bathtub wearing various jeans I now need to stretch, occasionally stretching and doing lunges. Life is hard.

I put my feet on the floor--even though it's not the same as a flat bench, I still try to get an arch so my torso is "solid" and locked.

I don't think you're as high as some others have said, but definitely not parallel. Lower 20-25 lbs and focus on your depth. Considering you can move up 15 lbs in a good week of SS, it's not much of a set back and is worth it. Otherwise, form looked pretty solid. Keep an eye on your wrists--the positioning looks like they could be taking some of the brunt of that weight.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome gif from the 1992 World Bodybuilding Federation championships, courtesy of Vince McMahon:

ileu7MRuP57et.gif

Amazing gif. Found by valued Wrasslegaf member Strobogo. WOW.

Can someone write me up program for a soccer player looking to stay flexible but yet strong and fast,someone mentioned sprinter but I want to maintain flexibility strength and speed.

Olympic lifting is great for flexibility, speed, and strength but I'm biased. Not gonna write you a program, but the links a few post above have the one I follow.

And carbs are super important for me as a soccer player, but any supplements youd recommend, only true ones seems like that work are creatine and protein from people's responses.

For the most part supplements aren't going to do much except protein and creatine. Even then, they are just as they sound - supplemental.

Chocobro

AJanitor, I just want to say: god damn, that is great progress!
-----------------------------------------
These came in the mail, yes! :D
WfEQBBRl.jpg

Do I buy another pair for my hands?

Chocobro

I can't write a program for you but you should look for a program that focuses on strength and explosiveness. The only one that comes to my mind is CanditoTrainingHQ's six week program you can repeat them for multiple cycle. OR CanditoTrainingHQ's linear program for strength/power, which is more flexible that his six week program. His programs are on his website and you can check out his YouTube channel.

Flexibility? You could do Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 flexibility routine; that's all I can really say on that matter.
Thanks!

Lovely shoes! My weightlifting shoes send their love.
<3
I can't wait to use them. The snow that's predicted to hit NYC tomorrow/later this week better not stop me.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just made a calorific and protein rich pasta. Piss easy to make, fairly cheap and can be made in bulk.

Pasta - any

Ready made pasta sauce - any (using lloyd grossman wild mushroom myself)

Ingredients - smoked bacon, chorizo sausage (cheap in the UK), pepperoni

Boil the pasta, fry the bacon, add the chorizo and pepperoni to the bacon and fry for 1 more min. Add the sauce to the pasta along with all the meat and mix together. Finally add salt, pepper and mixed herbs for a bit more flavour. Done.

Finish with any cheese.

Absolutely delicious and perfect post workout fuel for dem gains.

sphinx

the piano man
on the topic of the deadlift, I've been using mixed grip (is it called like that? the palm of my right hand towards me, left hand to the opposite side) on every set... even warm up sets... am I a bad boy?

I read somewhere that mixed grip should be reserved for higher weights but I was beginning to get really pissed with the exercise, tried that grip and it made a huuuge difference, I don't think I want to do a deadlift any other way.

my backday today was very good, I am slowly getting stronger and my grip is soooo much better, liquid chalk has helped alot, anyone having trouble with grip/sweaty hands should try it

today I did a 7x7 Pyramid of pull-ups and felt rather easy, that's over 50 reps (did a bit more than 49). and that's weighting 18 lbs more than when I started doing them. Next time I'll do 64. 8X8, exciting times ahead.

and I am happy cause after 3 months of being depressed because of my looks, I liked a pic of mine, there is hope for me.

Cudder

After taking a week off last night I hit all of my 3x5@255 sets on bench. Felt awesome. Tonight is supposed to be 310 on squats. So close to 3 plates, I have to just not think about it.

This killed me today, way worse than it sounded:

Clean Pull From 3in deficit (use plates or platform): 3 sec pause at platform height: 5 sets of 4 @ 100%

Cooter

Is there anything that makes you feel like more of a bad ass than deadlifting 455 and holding it for 10-15 seconds on your 4th and last rep? Adrenaline rush!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom