• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
AJanitor, I just want to say: god damn, that is great progress!
-----------------------------------------
These came in the mail, yes! :D
WfEQBBRl.jpg

Do I buy another pair for my hands?

I want a pair

AJanitor, I just want to say: god damn, that is great progress!
-----------------------------------------
These came in the mail, yes! :D
WfEQBBRl.jpg

Do I buy another pair for my hands?

Fuck those shoes are clean

Anyways my SS schedule is Fri, Sun, Tues. Weird i know but does it matter? I'm still getting in 3 days of lifting a week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't see anything wrong with that as long as you're giving yourself a day to rest in between each workout.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
One of these days I'm going to get me some lifting shoes and be cool like all of you guys! Upon doing so I fully expect to get a 575lb deadlift. Shoes can add 50lbs to your max, right? ;)

One of these days I'm going to get me some lifting shoes and be cool like all of you guys! Upon doing so I fully expect to get a 575lb deadlift. Shoes can add 50lbs to your max, right? ;)

I still go barefoot for deadlifts. You don't want your heel raised for deadlifts IMO.

By the way, killer deadlifts today man!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone write me up program for a soccer player looking to stay flexible but yet strong and fast,someone mentioned sprinter but I want to maintain flexibility strength and speed.
Do you have any prior training experience with weights? For an untrained person, the quickest way to improve explosive power (i.e. producing a high amount of force in a short amount of time) is to improve the amount of force produced; in other words, get stronger. The quickest way to do this is to follow a linear progression based around the main barbell lifts; see the OP for details. This won't make you slower or inflexible, quite the opposite. If you have developed/possess a degree of strength already you should look into increasing your explosiveness (the time part of the equation): plyyometrics, sprints/HIIT, Olympic lifts and/or the power variations of them etc...

h16b22

Neo Member
So for a soccer player Olympic style lifting js best I don't want to have a big chest and slow me down. Want to be flexible agile. If you youtube usian bolt hang clean, is that the stuff you're talking about barbell Olympic lifts.

Thanks on protein and creatine question of agree those two are probably main ones and best

So for a soccer player Olympic style lifting js best I don't want to have a big chest and slow me down. Want to be flexible agile. If you youtube usian bolt hang clean, is that the stuff you're talking about barbell Olympic lifts.

Thanks on protein and creatine question of agree those two are probably main ones and best

Gonna be honest here man. Sounds like you really don't know what you're doing weightlifting wise. I would talk to your coach and see what he/she advises. If it's your first time lifting weights, starting strength might still be a good option to begin with just to get the basics down.

Olympic lifting is good, but it's pretty technical. It will definitely help explosiveness and some flexibility, but it's not something you just decide to do one day, go throw a few reps around and then call it good. It's a sport in itself.

If you just want endurance and some strength other people here have given some good direction.

h16b22

Neo Member
No I get, first step is to build muscle, I have that, second step is to muscle explosiveness (speed area) since you have the muscle, I feel like I am on the second step I need to work at that, but that works Olympic style lifting as you have told me already, and I don't want to do that on my own, that is a sport in itself as you mentioned you're right, I am just making sure it wont slow me down, i don't want to be a body-lifter and now I understand the theory behind it

god bless you guys.

look at usain bolt, no proper form but he uses Olympic style lifting, nothing is done slow, always fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOC7O9JOY3Y

h16b22

Neo Member
How you train is how youll perform, train fast, and youll be fast, but it takes proper form to anything and should get that down first. prevent injuries

Am I right about all this?

h16b22

Neo Member
I might just do cross fit I think is in my avenue of seeking, I want to have muscular strength but a lot of endurance and explosiveness yet having a fluid body as in agile, I think I am asking too much but its possible and its a blessing to have the knowledge from you guys...

theytookourjobz

No I get, first step is to build muscle, I have that, second step is to muscle explosiveness (speed area) since you have the muscle, I feel like I am on the second step I need to work at that, but that works Olympic style lifting as you have told me already, and I don't want to do that on my own, that is a sport in itself as you mentioned you're right, I am just making sure it wont slow me down, i don't want to be a body-lifter and now I understand the theory behind it

god bless you guys.

look at usain bolt, no proper form but he uses Olympic style lifting, nothing is done slow, always fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOC7O9JOY3Y

Yes. Always use proper form. You are not Usain Bolt. Don't train like he does.

h16b22

Neo Member
Yes to yes I am right with my couple of posts, not to brag Im pretty legit, I was an all american sprinter in college haha, played college all my life, im not some bum, thats why I'm seeking very wise advice from you guys

Cooter

I still go barefoot for deadlifts. You don't want your heel raised for deadlifts IMO.

By the way, killer deadlifts today man!
Thanks man. One of those days where I just felt good and had energy. Also got down to 196 today. Slowly but surely I am getting there!

h16b22

Neo Member
Yea I dont get it doesnt make sense, its like IDK if hes mocking me or Usain bolt for his crap form? Or the whole thign about be you....

theytookourjobz

Yea I dont get it doesnt make sense, its like IDK if hes mocking me or Usain bolt for his crap form? Or the whole thign about be you....

I'm not even sure what to say. Usain Bolt is probably the most phenomenal athlete in the world. Not to mention the fact that he has access to the best medical care imaginable should he injure himself in the slightest. I just didn't want you to think that because there's a video of Bolt doing shitty hang power cleans on youtube, that it's okay or beneficial in any way at all. I wasn't trying to talk shit at all. I'm sure you're a great sprinter.

Chocobro

New Romaleos 2 prototypes:
Those looks pretty sweet, I like the color scheme.
Aaaand sprained my ankle. I'm pissed. I have been hitting it so hard lately, oh well.
Oh no Darth :( I hope you recover fast. It's not the same but I sprained my wrist last Friday. We'll recover.
What happened? Could your ankles no longer support those massive redwoods you call legs?
Haha, you're killing me with those funny comments, Cooter.

Cooter

Let's just go with that.

The actual story is a little embarassing. I'll leave it up to your imaginations, but it does involve wild animals.
I'm just going to assume you were wresting grizzly bears out of boredom. Fair enough?

Roommates saying I'm getting fatter, but I'm really just cultivating mass.
How did you manage, FE.
How?

No fear. Just had my goal weight in sight and just kept going. The "getting fatter" comments were followed by "looking big". JUST KEEP GOING. MORE POWER. DO IT FOR THE FUTURE STRIATIONS!

Husker86

Last two weeks I've got my deadlift over what I was doing before I broke my back/ankle. But...

245 x 4 and I'm pretty sure I could have done 5 if I didn't have to reset my grip. If I'm having any sort of trouble with grip at this weight, I have no clue how I'll ever get over 300 :(

Last two weeks I've got my deadlift over what I was doing before I broke my back/ankle. But...

245 x 4 and I'm pretty sure I could have done 5 if I didn't have to reset my grip. If I'm having any sort of trouble with grip at this weight, I have no clue how I'll ever get over 300 :(

You'll get it man. I started at 185 and got stuck at 225 for a long time. Keep at it.

If you get really stuck, use chains or bands. I did banded deadlifts and that helped me a ton.

So I've just been browsing Facebook all day and some of the guys on there make me not want to go for the iipped and lean look anymore. Just burly.

15-20% BF looks more appealing to me than <9%.

So I've just been browsing Facebook all day and some of the guys on there make me not want to go for the iipped and lean look anymore. Just burly.

15-20% BF looks more appealing to me than <9%.

Definitely more fun to eat that way. But I've never had a real six-pack and I want one so bad for once in my life. I'm getting there by Summer.

But I definitely like this look better than the ripped look:
dmitry-klokov-handstand-push-ups1-1024x576.jpg

Hi everybody, I'm wading in here for the first time because I'm curious about bulking up. I read through the whole OP, and I tried to click on the YouTube links that are supposed to show how to do the exercises, but none of the links work anymore.

Can we get those links replaced with working ones? I don't know how to do any of this, and I can't afford to hire a trainer or anything so this thread is the best resource I have.

Thank you

Definitely more fun to eat that way. But I've never had a real six-pack and I want one so bad for once in my life. I'm getting there by Summer.

Yeah that's perfect really, if the guys I'm looking at cut down for a month or two, they would pretty be much this. Decisions, lol.

Well iam 30 and want to lose weight since iam 130kg @185 cm. What do you guys think of body weight training? Like You Are Your Own Gym.

I would love, LOVE, to look like that. Genetics prevent me from doing so. I think if I can get down to a solid 12/13% and just focus on getting stronger and doing more core work, I can get close.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well weight loss and you obviously dont need a gym to do it.

Nothing wrong with doing body weight training and it can be beneficial, especially if you haven't done weight training before. Don't expect to lose a lot of weight from it. If you are serious about losing weight (and you should be), you need to focus on what you eat.

Well weight loss and you obviously dont need a gym to do it.

Nothing wrong with bodyweight training. I still do a decent amount of pull-ups, pushups, handstand pushups, pistols, ring work, etc.

I found it worked for me for a little while and then I got extremely bored. I could do 100 air squats and not feel anything. I could switch to pistols, but still ... eh.

Eventually I realized I was much more efficient and having much more fun doing work with actual weights. With just a barbell and a few 100lbs you can get a really good amount of exercises in. That said, nothing wrong with bodyweight stuff and you can make some great progress.

As far as weight goes, that's all diet really. Cardio helps, lifting helps, but you killed your 1 hour of cardio by eating those 2 chocolate chip cookies. I dropped my weight by getting my diet act together hardcore. People at work used to comment nearly every day because I ate grilled chicken, almonds, and broccoli almost every day and sometimes tuna or salmon. I did it for almost a year and it worked. It was boring as hell, but it worked.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good news guys: I'm happy.

Why you ask? Because I reached new maximums for my bench and squats. :D

I'm particularly happy on the bench because for the longest time it seemed like I plateau'd. Seems like it's reasonable to think that all this working out wasn't for nothing after all, and that I just may indeed be getting stronger. Though I do have to mention that I recently learned about gripping the bar as if you want to tear it up. That may or may not have helped.

Either way, score one for progress!

sphinx

the piano man
I would love, LOVE, to look like that. Genetics prevent me from doing so. I think if I can get down to a solid 12/13% and just focus on getting stronger and doing more core work, I can get close.

I know that guy, forgot his name, he's a russian professional athlete. these people have been doing that for more than half of their lives, since they were 13-15 and what we see is the result of around 15 years of hard work.

Us regular people not coming close to looking like that has more to do with our pasts than our genes, I believe, but if we work hard I think we can have great results over time.

I actually believe I can look very, very good when I turn 42, after 7 years of hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom