• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
I want to look like Danny Padilla. How do I do it?

iJfuOKMfW9QNv.gif

I almost became the guy that crapped his pants while deadlifting, I had stomach bug last 3 days but I thought I was safe today, squated and benched without issues, moved over to deads I was mid rep and my stomach be like "did I say you could workout today fool?" man I had to scurry outta there as quick as could (toilets are downstairs) luckily I made it *whew*

Kerrinck

Height: 5'6
Weight: 130 Pounds (59 Kilos)
Goal: Gain Weight
Current Training Schedule: Mon-Wed-Fri
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
Comments: Looking for a beginner routine. The only big problem is that I live in a small town in a crappy country and Squats/Deadlifts are usually frowned upon as being too dangerous and the gym really doesn't allow people to do it without resorting to a smith machine.
Any recommended routines that don't have these? Mostly looking to gain weight, used to go to the gym a couple of years ago and I finally got some motivation again.

Hi everybody, I'm wading in here for the first time because I'm curious about bulking up. I read through the whole OP, and I tried to click on the YouTube links that are supposed to show how to do the exercises, but none of the links work anymore.

Can we get those links replaced with working ones? I don't know how to do any of this, and I can't afford to hire a trainer or anything so this thread is the best resource I have.

Thank you

A poster linked to this evernote a while back. It may be a bit of an info dump but it might have some comparable links to the OP.

Height: 5'6
Weight: 130 Pounds (59 Kilos)
Goal: Gain Weight
Current Training Schedule: Mon-Wed-Fri
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
Comments: Looking for a beginner routine. The only big problem is that I live in a small town in a crappy country and Squats/Deadlifts are usually frowned upon as being too dangerous and the gym really doesn't allow people to do it without resorting to a smith machine.
Any recommended routines that don't have these? Mostly looking to gain weight, used to go to the gym a couple of years ago and I finally got some motivation again.

I guess you can try dumbbell squats and deadlifts

Never ever ever ever ever ever use a Smith machine

I remember when I first started bulking and for the first few months all the comments from friends and familiy would be them asking if I was getting fatter. After a few months it all changes to are you getting buffer

ink4n3

I guess you can try dumbbell squats and deadlifts

Never ever ever ever ever ever use a Smith machine

Can I ask why? I have a rack available at my work, but I sometimes tag along with my fiance to Planet Fitness (yeah, I know...) because it's free. I squat as much as I can at work, but travel frequently so I don't always have that option. Aren't smith machine squats better than not squatting at all?

Can I ask why? I have a rack available at my work, but I sometimes tag along with my fiance to Planet Fitness (yeah, I know...) because it's free. I squat as much as I can at work, but travel frequently so I don't always have that option. Aren't smith machine squats better than not squatting at all?

From the SS wikia

No, no, no, no, no. NO!

Smith Machines are the devil.

For one thing they completely remove the stabilization aspect of the squat. But go ahead, get up to 300 on a smith machine and then try it with a barbell and see how long you can keep from falling on your ass.

For another thing it restricts the natural range of motion. See each of us has our own biomechanics (the mechanisms that distinctly tie our individual bones and muscles together) and hence we have an individual movement pattern (range of motion) when doing the squat, or anything else for that matter. For example a guy with a long torso and stocky legs will not squat remotely close to how guy with a short torso and long legs does. The smith machine has only one range of motion for either of these individuals because the bar runs on rails in a fixed path (straight up and down or a slight diagonal). Every individual must conform to no matter their distinct movement pattern. This can be devastating to your skeletal system over time. Just like having your feet bound or slumping severely in your chair, as time passes the smith machine will turn you into a sideshow freak. And children will weep when they look upon you and mothers will shield their eyes from your abnormal freakishness. Your story will become a cautionary tale for newb weightlifter for years to come... "Don't use the smith machine or you'll end up just like John Spinalcase." Turn back now, it's not too late.

"Squatting" in a Smith machine is a oxymoron. A squat cannot be performed on a Smith machine, as should be obvious from all previous discussion. Sorry. There is a gigantic difference between a machine that makes the bar path vertical, and a squat that is excecuted correctly enough to have a vertical bar path. Muscle and skeleton should do the job of keeping the bar path vertical, not grease fittings and floor bolts.
– Mark Rippetoe

I know that guy, forgot his name, he's a russian professional athlete. these people have been doing that for more than half of their lives, since they were 13-15 and what we see is the result of around 15 years of hard work.

Us regular people not coming close to looking like that has more to do with our pasts than our genes, I believe, but if we work hard I think we can have great results over time.

I actually believe I can look very, very good when I turn 42, after 7 years of hard work.

Oh I don't doubt that when we reach our end game, we will look and feel fantastic. I'm just speaking for myself. I know my body well enough after 3 years to know what it can and cannot achieve physically. I'm a wide guy and that's who I am but I won't ever really achieve the pecs like in that pic nor the traps. It is what it is.

SeanR1221

Oh I don't doubt that when we reach our end game, we will look and feel fantastic. I'm just speaking for myself. I know my body well enough after 3 years to know what it can and cannot achieve physically. I'm a wide guy and that's who I am but I won't ever really achieve the pecs like in that pic nor the traps. It is what it is.

My long term goal is to be the most badass looking dad in the kindergarten pickup line some day. So say, 5-6 years before we have a kid and then another 6 years till they get to school, I have plenty of time to do this!

I wanna hear my dad can kick your dads ass.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good god almighty we need more bodybuilding competitions like this
ibyGoGgZgEAUQI.gif

Szu

My long term goal is to be the most badass looking dad in the kindergarten pickup line some day. So say, 5-6 years before we have a kid and then another 6 years till they get to school, I have plenty of time to do this!

That's my same exact goal.

Szu

Well iam 30 and want to lose weight since iam 130kg @185 cm. What do you guys think of body weight training? Like You Are Your Own Gym.

BW training has it's merits, but I prefer to incorporate weight training. I do like some of the more advanced core BW workouts myself.

sphinx

the piano man

sorry, I didn't mean to tell you I know your body better than you.

The thing is, I always see a constant in all these "unachievable" bodies: They have worked their whole life to get the body they wanted.

.- Starting early when the body can take more of a beating (late teens), not starting well in their 20's or even 30's, like me
.- not giving in to temptations and depressions, mostly disciplined.
.- doing it the right way, with good programming
.- a bit better genes and physical disposition for this particular activity.

the farther we are from this profile, the less certain we can be what our bodies are (or would have been) capable of.

my opinion, which of course can be compeltely wrong.

sorry, I didn't mean to tell you I know your body better than you.

The thing is, I always see a constant in all these "unachievable" bodies: They have worked their whole life to get the body they wanted.

.- Starting early when the body can take more of a beating (late teens), not starting well in their 20's or even 30's, like me
.- not giving in to temptations and depressions, mostly disciplined.
.- doing it the right way, with good programming
.- a bit better genes and physical disposition for this particular activity.

the farther we are from this profile, the less certain we can be what our bodies are (or would have been) capable of.

my opinion, which of course can be compeltely wrong.

haha, I didn't think of what you said was like that or negative in any way, so no worries! Everything is fine.

I remember times in college where I would have 2-3 hour gaps between classes. I wish I knew what I know now and just hit the gym. But that was the past and all I can worry about is now. I really don't think any of those type of bodies are out of reach as people have done tremendous transformations regardless of age. But we are all bound to what our genes say we can look like. I just know my genes prevent me from getting that even if I want it badly :)

SeanR1221

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would bet this happened when the Vince McMahon was trying to make bodybuilding more popular and he created The World Bodybuilding Federation (WFB). That didn't last too long...

Yes, it is a WBF competition. It's delightful, been watching it. So many insane terminators and killers and executioners and insanity. It's fantastic.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Haha. It doesn't take much to be that dad from my experience. When I have to go to school the boys in my daughter's 5th grade class tell her I'm scary. This should come in more useful in a few years. The overwhelming majority of dad's I've seen through the years don't take care of themselves.

The cool stuff is when your kids are proud of you and tell kids at school their dad can lift 500 lbs off the floor. You wouldn't think they'd care about that kind of thing.

Szu

Haha. It doesn't take much to be that dad from my experience. When I have to go to school the boys in my daughter's 5th grade class tell her I'm scary. This should come in more useful in a few years. The overwhelming majority of dad's I've seen through the years don't take care of themselves.

The cool stuff is when your kids are proud of you and tell kids at school their dad can lift 500 lbs off the floor. You wouldn't think they'd care about that kind of thing.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to what happens to my son.

Some kid in his class: My dad can kick your dad's ass.
My son: Big deal, my dad can kick your dad's head.

Samara

not on topic, but just my luck I found a barbell while dropping things off to charity. I don't know how heavy the barbell is but I'd say 35-40 pounds. The weights are 2 /12 pounds each. Total........10$.
Disregard my ashy ashy foot please.

despire

My man :)

Same goal right here. Luckily I have a lot of time before that happens.

Cudder

3x5 310lbs on squats last night. That means next week is 3 plates. HOLD ME.

You better believe I'm filming my first ever 3 plate squats. Will be a great milestone for me. :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

You better believe I'm filming my first ever 3 plate squats. Will be a great milestone for me. :)
Every post from you is seemingly a PR!

I'm debating filming some squats tonight. Either a set of 5 at 405 or a 1RM attempt at 455. Not sure yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're going to kick its ass.

Have you ever tried doing any reps at 315 just to test it out?

That's my same exact goal.

Similar, but I just want to be enough of an inspiration to my son that he will want to look like me and actually want to learn about eating properly and doing some kind of exercise, especially during puberty when everything is so plastic and you can influence your physique and metabolism for life.

3x5 310lbs on squats last night. That means next week is 3 plates. HOLD ME.)

Damn, I'm almost jealous. My 1 rep max six months ago was 320 lb and I was definitely hoping to do 3x5x310lb by now but my numerous training breaks last fall and some recent knee problems have set me back and today I was able to squat only 3x5x265lb. I'm definitely disappointed with my current squat numbers and they are probably not going much up now that I started my cut. Well, I hope to get to your numbers after the summer..

mt1200

Heh, that's some cool goal.

My goal is looking like Bruce Lee or some soccer players, slim and ripped but not bulky, so when I've reduced my BF% to about 8%-10%, I can then quit my current calorie deficit and focus more on my muscles than cardio.

You got this man.

Film it, but it better be ATG or I'm going to ask for a do-over.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Get off my adipowers you hoe bags!

Definitely more fun to eat that way. But I've never had a real six-pack and I want one so bad for once in my life. I'm getting there by Summer.

But I definitely like this look better than the ripped look:
dmitry-klokov-handstand-push-ups1-1024x576.jpg

That's not considered ripped? Da fuq?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damnit was massaging a knot under my shoulder blade that I could feel on my arm/rotator cuff. Stiff today from that now, gotta work shoulders too. Still struggling with the cut as well. Here are my updated numbers Gaf, help me out with some recommendations.

6'0

Bench- 185 flat 155- incline (lost a bit of strength on this) just for reference.

rage1973

I tested out my bodyfat on calipers this morning and I am finally below 10%.
I finally hit my goal and it now might be time to jump on slow bulk team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom