• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tested out my bodyfat on calipers this morning and I am finally below 10%.
I finally hit my goal and it now might be time to jump on slow bulk team.

Under 10% body fat and no pics? That's gotta be like a Fitness thread crime or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is pizza still a vegetable?

Pizza is it's own food group. It's placement by importance is between air and water.

So I know leg extensions are bad for the knees, how about hamstring curls?

They are?

Under 10% body fat and no pics? That's gotta be like a Fitness thread crime or something.

That's like a 350+ bench, 450+ squat or a 550+ deadlift without a video.

I wanna see da receipts!!!!!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They are?

What I've heard is that there's no other exercise out there that puts the same amount of torque (or more) on your knees themselves. It's not so much that they're bad for you, but they're the worst workout for them out of all the others.

I've got an open mind though, and am willing to be swayed. Here's what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhdqUpRS3E

From Jason Blaha at JuggernautfitnessTV - most people don't like him because he sounds condescending but I find him really insightful and educational. Again, open to learning more than just what he says.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well I have a poor tracking patella and I've never felt more grinding/pain than when doing straight leg extensions. I've been doing 2 new exercises to try to track better. One's called TKEs, and basically very limited leg extensions where I just keep it at the last 15 degrees.

edit-

Breathing causes cancer. Walking is bad for your knees and sleeping brings you closer to death.

Believe what you want, this type of logic so stupid. Smoking causes lung cancer far more than breathing, stomping your feet on crooked pavement causes arthritis far more than walking, leg extensions causes grinding and put more pressure on the knee cap than squats/front squats and a million other exercises.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well I have a poor tracking patella and I've never felt more grinding/pain than when doing straight leg extensions. I've been doing 2 new exercises to try to track better. One's called TKEs, and basically very limited leg extensions where I just keep it at the last 15 degrees.

edit-

Believe what you want, this type of logic so stupid. Smoking causes lung cancer far more than breathing, stomping your feet on crooked pavement causes arthritis far more than walking, leg extensions causes grinding and put more pressure on the knee cap than squats/front squats and a million other exercises.

Then find out what works for you and go with it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Funny thing is I have... I never asked about leg extensions I asked if hamstring curls are considered safe.

Do them yourself and figure it out. What might hurt someone else might not hurt you

Millions of people do leg extensions without issue. You can't. Understand?

The only thing you're accomplishing by asking without ever trying is making an arbitrary excuse to exclude a potentially beneficial movement. That's completely asinine.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do them yourself and figure it out. What might hurt someone else might not hurt you

The only thing you're accomplishing by asking without ever trying is making an arbitrary excuse to exclude a potentially beneficial movement. That's completely asinine.

That's funny maybe I should just try everything I hear in the gym right? Do you know how many people do exercises improperly/dangerously claiming it's beneficial? I was doing upright rows and experiencing some shoulder discomfort. I inquired about it in here and the majority of people informed me that it is a very dangerous movement that has been dropped by quite a few people. Googled it to find out why it's bad and turns out it's true.

If you want to blindly do things that could potentially damage your joints going forward than go for it. I asked a simple question and you responded with hostility. I never once asked about leg extensions again thanks though. BTW millions of people run on bumpy crooked pavement without issues... until they're older and their knees have deteriorated from improper angle/form.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's funny maybe I should just try everything I hear in the gym right? Do you know how many people do exercises improperly/dangerously claiming it's beneficial? I was doing upright rows and experiencing some shoulder discomfort. I inquired about it in here and the majority of people informed me that it is a very dangerous movement that has been dropped by quite a few people. Googled it to find out why it's bad and turns out it's true.

If you want to blindly do things that could potentially damage your joints going forward than go for it. I asked a simple question and you responded hostily. I never once asked about leg extensions again thanks though. BTW millions of people run on bumpy crooked pavement without issues... until they're older and their knees have deteriorated from improper angle/form.

My response to you (try something before you throw it out) wasn't about leg extensions. It's literally about whatever your goal is. And I think what I do has been pretty successful, thanks.

Settle down you two. Looks like a misunderstanding to me.

To answer your question, I've never heard about hamstring curls causing injury.

Ain't even bothered brah. Too busy watching bob the builder.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah all I ever heard was leg extensions being the riskiest movement for your knees, nothing on hamstring curls as well. Don't fear em!

Funny thing is I have... I never asked about leg extensions I asked if hamstring curls are considered safe.

I've read from my broscience sites that the effectiveness of both exercises is low because you can't lift much weight before risking an injury. But they are an ok complement to the main exercises at lower weights to target the quads and hamstrings. I include them when I do high-rep workouts because I can't squat or lunge much weight and therefore they are not properly stimulated.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My response to you (try something before you throw it out) wasn't about leg extensions. It's literally about whatever your goal is. And I think what I do has been pretty successful, thanks.

Ain't even bothered brah. Too busy watching bob the builder.

Lol so this...

isn't about leg extensions? Also calling reading plenty of articles/research and personal experience arbitrary? Pretty sure there's plenty of writing out there about why to avoid them if you don't need them, when there are far safer options.

edit-
I've read from my broscience sites that the effectiveness of both exercises is low because you can't lift much weight before risking an injury. But they are an ok complement to the main exercises at lower weights to target the quads and hamstrings. I include them when I do high-rep workouts because I can't squat or lunge much weight and therefore they are not properly stimulated.

I've heard the very same thing from doctors, articles, research papers, etc. similar to upright rows, if you DO want to include them, be careful how heavy you go given just how much pressure they put on particular body parts. In the case of leg extensions it's an open chain movement, which puts a lot of pressure on the acl, and the most pressure on the thinnest part of the patella, where exercises like squats put more pressure on the thickest part and spread the pressure more evenly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol so this...

isn't about leg extensions? Also calling reading plenty of articles/research and personal experience arbitrary? Pretty sure there's plenty of writing out there about why to avoid them if you don't need them, when there are far safer options.

edit-

I've heard the very same thing from doctors, articles, research papers, etc. similar to upright rows, if you DO want to include them, be careful how heavy you go given just how much pressure they put on particular body parts. In the case of leg extensions it's an open chain movement, which puts a lot of pressure on the acl, and the most pressure on the thinnest part of the patella, where exercises like squats put more pressure on the thickest part and spread the pressure more evenly.

Parts of the post are about leg extensions because that was part of the conversation. However, the quote about doing it before tossing it out wasn't. Figured that was pretty clear.

Paralysis by analysis. Do you man.

Bob is a stud! Guy can build anything. Very talented.

I feel odd watching it still since my son fell asleep on my dog next to me. Lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Parts of the post are about leg extensions because that was part of the conversation. However, the quote about doing it before tossing it out wasn't. Figured that was pretty clear.

Paralysis by analysis. Do you man.

Alright well w/e agree to disagree, thanks for not addressing my question at all and the bizarre accusation of trying to find a way to ditch leg extensions :)!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright well w/e agree to disagree, thanks for not addressing my question at all and the bizarre accusation of trying to find a way to ditch leg extensions :)!

Again, the "ditching" was not about leg extensions since you've already determined those hurt you. That was also about leg curls.

.- Starting early when the body can take more of a beating (late teens), not starting well in their 20's or even 30's, like me

I know there are some old guys on gaming GAF, but do we have any old lifters in here?

I lifted for a few years in my late teens, then started from scratch 3 years ago (currently 41).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Again, the "ditching" was not about leg extensions since you've already determined those hurt you. That was also about leg curls.

Why would I ask if they were safe to do if I was planning on ditching them? I'm thinking about incorporating them into my leg routine as I'm working on improving my knee strength. I knew Leg extensions apply some dangerous pressure on the knees (this is actually a fact that even supporters of the extensions know) that can lead to long term effects, so I didn't do them. I was ready to do some Hamstring curls and wanted to confirm it was safe, before aggravating my knee. Again when I mentioned my upright rows in here I got some excellent advice and since adapting it's been nothing but excellent.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why would I ask if they were safe to do if I was planning on ditching them? I'm thinking about incorporating them into my leg routine as I'm working on improving my knee strength. I knew Leg extensions apply some dangerous pressure on the knees (this is actually a fact that even supporters of the extensions know) that can lead to long term effects, so I didn't do them. I was ready to do some Hamstring curls and wanted to confirm it was safe, before aggravating my knee. Again when I mentioned my upright rows in here I got some excellent advice and since adapting it's been nothing but excellent.

Holy shit. How are you not understanding.

Go back and read my posts. It all goes back to when I said this. "Do them yourself and figure it out. What might hurt someone else might not hurt you."

I was going to wait until my 41st birthday in a few weeks.

You could be dead by then. Being old and all. ;)

Most people don't try to max out on leg extensions if they do them correctly. It's something to do at ow weight and high reps to pump the hell out of your quads.

Zoe

Holy shit. How are you not understanding.

Go back and read my posts. It all goes back to when I said this. "Do them yourself and figure it out. What might hurt someone else might not hurt you."

The problem with that, and why asking for other people's experiences is helpful, is that it can take a long time for damage to manifest into a noticeable problem.

It took over 3 months for a problem to show up with my running. Now that I'm working with a physical therapist, it's pretty evident that I shouldn't have been running in the first place.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The problem with that, and why asking for other people's experiences is helpful, is that it can take a long time for damage to manifest into a noticeable problem.

It took over 3 months for a problem to show up with my running. Now that I'm working with a physical therapist, it's pretty evident that I shouldn't have been running in the first place.

Typically it won't manifest as "damage" unless you take it too far. It will begin to bother you and show you it's bad before any real damage is done.

You probably wouldn't have ever known running was bad for you (how is that possible?)Had you not tried it for yourself.

People who get stuck in this "is it bad for me" shit typically never really progress well because they get too stuck wondering what they shoukd do instead I'd simply doing something and changing as their body tells them what works and what doesn't.

Same shit happens with program hoppers.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Typically it won't manifest as "damage" unless you take it too far. It will begin to bother you and show you it's bad before any real damage is done.

You probably wouldn't have ever known running was bad for you (how is that possible?)Had you not tried it for yourself.

People who get stuck in this "is it bad for me" shit typically never really progress well because they get too stuck wondering what they shoukd do instead I'd simply doing something and changing as their body tells them what works and what doesn't.

Same shit happens with program hoppers.

You are seriously not understanding. Certain things ARE bad for everyone, some just luck out that it doesn't take it's toll, you shouldn't just hop into something that has been proven risky. I've also explained to you, just because you don't feel pain doesn't man you aren't doing damage. It's not just about getting old, it's that certain things cause more damage then others, like I've said multiple times in the damn thread. Running on pavement with poor form and bad shoes won't hurt for a while for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean you're not wearing down your cartilage or meniscus. The thing is YOU'RE not understanding. I'd prefer to get some thoughts on the damn exercise not "why not try and find out?!" what a horrible mentality. Other people in the thread seem to understand my frustration, you dont.

edit- Not everyone knows running can do serious damage to your knees... are you serious? How many people do you see running with poor form in bad places? For instance a lot of people run on the beach where the sand slopes down.... this is VERY bad for your knees given the angle and how the pressure is applied across your knee.

edit- how many of those damn crossfit threads have you seen of newbies trying out stupid exercises? They're not feeling pain, but they continue doing that and they will get hurt.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You are seriously not understanding. Certain things ARE bad for everyone, some just luck out that it doesn't take it's toll, you shouldn't just hop into something that has been proven risky. I've also explained to you, just because you don't feel pain doesn't man you aren't doing damage. It's not just about getting old, it's that certain things cause more damage then others, like I've said multiple times in the damn thread. Running on pavement with poor form and bad shoes won't hurt for a while for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean you're not wearing down your cartilage or meniscus. The thing is YOU'RE not understanding. I'd prefer to get some thoughts on the damn exercise not "why not try and find out?!" what a horrible mentality. Other people in the thread seem to understand my frustration, you dont.

edit- Not everyone knows running can do serious damage to your knees... are you serious? How many people do you see running with poor form in bad places? For instance a lot of people run on the beach where the sand slopes down.... this is VERY bad for your knees given the angle and how the pressure is applied across your knee.

It must suck to be so worried about everything. You know what else is bad for you? Dead lifting 500+lbs, squatting double body weight and benching over 300lbs for years on end. Not to mention how "terrible" overhead pressing is.

I'd rather be old and worn down than weak and worried when I'm young. I honestly feel bad for you.

Poor tendon flexibility and balance issues.

So it's not running that's the issue it's that you need mobility/flexibility work? Not sure what would cause balance issues is there an inner ear issue?

Did you PT say that you will be able to run once corrected?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It must suck to be so worried about everything. You know what else is bad for you? Dead lifting 500+lbs, squatting double body weight and benching over 300lbs for years on end. Not to mention how "terrible" overhead pressing is.

I'd rather be old and worn down than weak and worried when I'm young. I honestly feel bad for you.

So it's not running that's the issue it's that you need mobility/flexibility work? Not sure what would cause balance issues is there an inner ear issue?

Lol you're a jackass. Been working out successfully and feeling great now for a year and half, haven't had to limit much of anything at all thanks to the help of a little research and fitgaf.

edit- enjoy your life though right? I'm gonna go out and pop some pills and shoot some heroin!

Zoe

I can stay standing on one foot or on a balance board, but I'm wobbling all over the place to stay up. She blames part of it on a weak core, but the ball tossing exercises she has me doing really wear out my legs too.

And yeah, I should be able to run again. My flexibility is already infinitely better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can stay standing on one foot or on a balance board, but I'm wobbling all over the place to stay up. She blames part of it on a weak core, but the ball tossing exercises she has me doing really wear out my legs too.

And yeah, I should be able to run again. My flexibility is already infinitely better.

Well that's good. When I was running a lot I ended up with pretty bad knee aches. Looking back it was most likely overuse since I went full bore and didn't acclimate. I was really good at it until that happened. My advice would be slowly work up. I like Harry Selkows way of running in that he programs it like lifting. So instead of doing 1 mile (which would be a "1 rep max") you do harder "sets" at shorter distances eventually hitting your "1rep max" for time.

So one day you might so 3 "sets" at 200 yards, then another day 300 yards. Etc.

sphinx

the piano man
3x5 310lbs on squats last night. That means next week is 3 plates. HOLD ME.

You better believe I'm filming my first ever 3 plate squats. Will be a great milestone for me. :)

hell yeah, make a video. I always do with my PR, I did with my two plates PR some weeks ago.

next week is new PR for me as well, next wednesday I know I'll be thinking about it the whole day and trying to "feel" my legs at all times. The important thing is that we eat well, with all our meals and filled macros and have had enough rest.

best of luck there.

So I know leg extensions are bad for the knees, how about hamstring curls?

I did these today and leg extensions are one of the best exercise for quads, you don't need more than 40-50 lbs x 10-15 (me, anyway) to feel that very intense burn. Today I felt like fainting on my 120-140 lbs sets. but the leg pump with those can't be compared to anything else, well maybe to squat but squats are so compound that you' feel it in your whole body and not just the quads.

about what is good or bad, it's very personal.

Leg curls are TERRIBLE for me because they trigger a small tear on my right thigh, something I got from my jogging days. There's one crunch machine that is absolutely awful on my back and I don't use it either.

I've had friends saying overhead press is bad for your upper body, Deadlift is bad for lower back, Squat is bad for knees and Bench is bad for shoulder if done with full ROM.

So, these people are saying ALL major compounds are bad for the body? I don't think so, sounds more like either they are pussies or don't know how to handle weight or both.

EDIT: Damn, I suck at writing english, sorry everyone.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
hell yeah, make a video. I always do with my PR, I did with my two plates PR some weeks ago.

next week is new PR for me as well, next wednesday I know I'll be thinking about it the whole day and trying to "feel" my legs at all times. The important thing is that we eat well, with all our meals and filled macros and have had enough rest.

best of luck there.

I did these today and leg extensions are one of the best exercise for quads, you don't need more than 40-50 lbs x 10-15 (me, anyway) to feel that very intense burn. Today I felt like fainting on my with 120-140 lbs sets. but the leg pump with those can't be compared to anything else, well maybe to squat but squats are so compounds that you' feel it in your whole body and not just the quads.

For now the amount of pressure applied to my knee cap makes them too difficult to work into my routine. Once I build up my VMO and release the lateral side of my legs I might work on some really low weight just keep things active.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

best of luck there.

I did these today and leg extensions are one of the best exercise for quads, you don't need more than 40-50 lbs x 10-15 (me, anyway) to feel that very intense burn. Today I felt like fainting on my with 120-140 lbs sets. but the leg pump with those can't be compared to anything else, well maybe to squat but squats are so compounds that you' feel it in your whole body and not just the quads.

Watch this shit. Lol.

http://youtu.be/oMtrz1Tb3mI

Cudder

For now the amount of pressure applied to my knee cap makes them too difficult to work into my routine. Once I build up my VMO and release the lateral side of my legs I might work on some really low weight just keep things active.
Leg extensions are great even with low weight. Do some high reps and you'll feel a great burn. Nice workout finisher.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

best of luck there.

I did these today and leg extensions are one of the best exercise for quads, you don't need more than 40-50 lbs x 10-15 (me, anyway) to feel that very intense burn. Today I felt like fainting on my 120-140 lbs sets. but the leg pump with those can't be compared to anything else, well maybe to squat but squats are so compound that you' feel it in your whole body and not just the quads.

about what is good or bad, it's very personal.

Leg curls are TERRIBLE for me because they trigger a small tear on my right thigh, something I got from my jogging days. There's one crunch machine that is absolutely awful on my back and I don't use it either.

I've had friends saying overhead press is bad for your upper body, Deadlift is bad for lower back, Squat is bad for knees and Bench is bad for shoulder if done with full ROM.

So, these people are saying ALL major compounds are bad for the body? I don't think so, sounds more like either they are pussies or don't know how to handle weight or both.

EDIT: Damn, I suck at writing english, sorry everyone.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but there are certain ranges of motion that have been proven to be worse than others. As I said above the Leg Extension puts a significant amount of pressure on the thinnest part of the cartilage and isolates the knee joint itself, which puts a lot on the patella and acl. Pushing at heavy weight really shouldn't be done too often on this exercise unless built up very slowly and being extra careful regarding form. Obviously everything will affect your joints, but some more so than others, and that particular exercise is one I'm not ready to do and probably will never incorporate at more than what you mentioned, low weight high reps. I'lll say it again I'm not hearing this from broscience (although it's talked about there), I'm not hearing it from the internet (although it's everywhere on the internet, EVEN in the articles supporting the use of the exercise, stressing to stay low weight given the range of motion), I'm also hearing it from my primary, my orthopedic surgeon, and my physical therapist. Front Squats, Squats, Leg Press, Wall sits, etc are far safer for the knee joint. I was making sure when I start doing these hamstring curls it doesn't have the same reputation as upright rows or leg extensions.

SeanR1221

Ugh, trying to make it through this dinner (2 cups broccoli, 2.5 cups rice, a pound of chicken) and I'm losing steam.

Cooter, Edge, MTP, Brolic! Give me strength!!!!!

rage1973

Ugh, trying to make it through this dinner (2 cups broccoli, 2.5 cups rice, a pound of chicken) and I'm losing steam.

Add some more flavor to your meal.
I am doing salad, sweet potatoes, and a 1.5 lb steak tonight and I am looking forward to it.

man, i tweaked my si joint this morning; hasn't felt this bad since last march when i first injured it. I'll probably take at least a week or two off from squats/deads to recover. maybe i really should lift lighter at 5am, and save the heavier sessions when i'm at the gym on the weekend afternoon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The fuck?

You're having hard times with broccoli AND rice? Man, I wish I was that coddled!

Back in my day I ate all chicken all the time WITHOUT SALT and by god we LOVED IT.

mt1200

I just ate a 170g bowl of fat-free and sugar-free greek yogurt with some frozen raspberries, I have to say that it's a great snack, it fills your stomach and doesn't contain more than 100 calories. 50g of mixed nuts have like twice that amount of calories.

I also bought some ricotta cheese, it's going to be my breakfast for the following days.

I'm sick of fucking tofu, besides I believe that it actually lowers your testosterone levels

sphinx

the piano man
I'm not disagreeing with that, but there are certain ranges of motion that have been proven to be worse than others. As I said above the Leg Extension puts a significant amount of pressure on the thinnest part of the cartilage and isolates the knee joint itself, which puts a lot on the patella and acl. Pushing at heavy weight really shouldn't be done too often on this exercise unless built up very slowly and being extra careful regarding form. Obviously everything will affect your joints, but some more so than others, and that particular exercise is one I'm not ready to do and probably will never incorporate at more than what you mentioned, low weight high reps. I'lll say it again I'm not hearing this from broscience (although it's talked about there), I'm not hearing it from the internet (although it's everywhere on the internet, EVEN in the articles supporting the use of the exercise, stressing to stay low weight given the range of motion), I'm also hearing it from my primary, my orthopedic surgeon, and my physical therapist. Front Squats, Squats, Leg Press, Wall sits, etc are far safer for the knee joint. I was making sure when I start doing these hamstring curls it doesn't have the same reputation as upright rows or leg extensions.

I think we all understand your point, nobody is calling you a liar or a broscientist.

you are right in that some exercises aren't meant to be done for high weights or amazing PRs, at least not by regular mortals like most of us. Good mornings come to mind in this case.

There's one shoulder exercise that seems to be inherently bad for your joints but I can't remember its name. I do remember a conversation about it between AbuC and Shogun/Brolic, and I decided to avoid the exercise all together (maybe I should have tried it to see for myself what is the move about). Even then, I am sure there are people who have never had a problem with that exercise, even though it's supposed to be "bad for everyone".

it's very personal, try different stuff and see how it goes and go carefully and slowly in a progressive line and judge by yourself how your body reacts to it.

if people would learn how to handle weight and check their egos at the door, we wouldn't have injuries (EDIT: we'd have a lot less injures...) and "bad exercises that destroy our bodies".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think we all understand your point, nobody is calling you a liar or a broscientist.

you are right in that some exercises aren't meant to be done for high weights or amazing PRs, at least not by regular mortals like most of us. Good mornings come to mind in this case.

There's one shoulder exercise that seems to be inherently bad for your joints but I can't remember its name. I do remember a conversation about it between AbuC and Shogun/Brolic, and I decided to avoid the exercise all together (maybe I should have tried it to see for myself what is the move about). Even then, I am sure there are people who have never had a problem with that exercise, even though it's supposed to be "bad for everyone".

it's very personal, try different stuff and see how it goes and go carefully and slowly in a progressive line and judge by yourself how your body reacts to it.

if people would learn how to handle weight and check their egos at the door, we wouldn't have injuries (EDIT: we'd have a lot less injures...) and "bad exercises that destroy our bodies".

That was upright rows. Which don't bother some people, can be used in moderation and depending on programming can be highly effective. I personally don't do them. I do snatch grip high pulls which kind of look similar.

And his (msdsct's)entire line changed from "always bad" to "only when loaded heavy" near the end of the conversation.

Of course some things are dangerous when loaded too heavy. That's a no shit and most everyone here knows it.

Here. Lemme post a video of my lateral raise 1 rep max.

jwEiE6i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom