• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
just finished a lift

rytHAMW.gif

rage1973

Nah, I've been cutting weight at a steady pace, not going to screw it up.
More power to you if its working but why put yourself through the unnecessary torture of eating bland food day after day? You can easily enjoy your meal and lose weight if prepared and planned correctly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
More power to you if its working but why put yourself through the unnecessary torture of eating bland food day after day? You can easily enjoy your meal and lose weight if prepared and planned correctly.

I had better willpower when I turned eating into a function, not a fun affair. Some people just respond better to routine like that. I'm one of em.

SeanR1221

Ahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Dump guac on the chicken.

Can't :(

See below. It's not so much the blandness. It's the volume when it's bland. You just get tired of chewing.

I had better willpower when I turned eating into a function, not a fun affair. Some people just respond better to routine like that. I'm one of em.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Can't :(

See below. It's not so much the blandness. It's the volume when it's bland. You just get tired of chewing.

Why? Guac is very healthy. No avocados?

man but look at those muscles, I'd eat chicken and rice for 5 years straight to get that body.

I did it for one summer. No, not even for that body. Fuck that.

Side note. I have a pretty good chicken breast crockpot recipe. Pretty basic too. It's just cream of chicken cream of mushroom some garlic salt, and chili powder.

Oh pork tenderloin, how I didn't met you before <3

Thanks to it I could finally toss the disgusting canned chicken chunks. Has more protein and is more delicious. Do you guys eat it? Where do you buy yours? Apparently there are brands that have even less fat, the one I bought has 4g per serving and I'd prefer to macro those fat calories on other foods or on more tenderloins to replace the tuna as well, yuck.

BadTaste

I was working on deltoids today and the heaviest weights I could manage were only 5kg dumbells. I was using them for lateral raises and bent over laterals. No wonder I can't do more than 1 wide grip pull up.. go ahead and laugh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was working on deltoids today and the heaviest weights I could manage were only 5kg dumbells. I was using them for lateral raises and bent over laterals. No wonder I can't do more than 1 wide grip pull up.. go ahead and laugh.

Take your time, before you know it, assuming you are doing a program that forces increased weights, you'll blow that away before you know it. Slow and steady my brother.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Delts have little to do with pull-ups.

Also 5kg lateral raises and rear delt flys aren't that bad. Those aren't movements you load heavy anyway.

sphinx

the piano man
I did it for one summer. No, not even for that body. Fuck that.

Side note. I have a pretty good chicken breast crockpot recipe. Pretty basic too. It's just cream of chicken cream of mushroom some garlic salt, and chili powder.

besides there's plenty of options for good protein and carb sources, I don't see why it always has to be plain chicken breast,

What I do is cook the meat (one out of beef, chicken, turkey, pork, fish, all high on protein and low on everything else according to the packages) with a bit of garlic butter instead of regular oil. that way it tastes like something and my sides are 2 of the following: pasta, rice, boiled potatoes, veggies with a bit of cheese on top.

my problem is that I am so fucking hungry after workout at night that I eat anything that I can eat right away instead of thinking about avoiding carbs at night cause they can turn into fat, or something like that.

but at one point I have to say: I came to this world to have a good time. One thing is trying to achieve a goal, another one is to have a miserable life on earth.

I don't let that "eat that, don't eat that" shit get into my head.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That was upright rows. Which don't bother some people, can be used in moderation and depending on programming can be highly effective. I personally don't do them. I do snatch grip high pulls which kind of look similar.

And his (msdsct's)entire line changed from "always bad" to "only when loaded heavy" near the end of the conversation.

Of course some things are dangerous when loaded too heavy. That's a no shit and most everyone here knows it.

Here. Lemme post a video of my lateral raise 1 rep max.

I never changed my line I stand by it, anything above light light weight is terrible for your knee cap. The cartilage on your knee cap is thin as it is and easily worn down. it's an open chain exercise and all the pressure is put right at the joint. I never once asked about the damn leg extensions, I KNOW they're not good for my knees and most knees for that matter, I simply asked if hamstring curls have a similar adverse affect on the knees. You made the assumption I was trying to find excuses not to do hamstring curls for w/e reason, but to each his own I guess. Some people are so touchy about "leg day". It has nothing to do with skimping on leg day or missing out on leg strength, in fact quite the opposite.

edit- And when I say light weight I mean PT weight. it gets your quads activated and working together and can really isolate the quads particularly right above the knee cap, unfortunately this is at the expensve of the durability of your patella itself.

Chocobro

Hi everybody, I'm wading in here for the first time because I'm curious about bulking up. I read through the whole OP, and I tried to click on the YouTube links that are supposed to show how to do the exercises, but none of the links work anymore.

Can we get those links replaced with working ones? I don't know how to do any of this, and I can't afford to hire a trainer or anything so this thread is the best resource I have.

Thank you
See if any of the links in the SS wikia page has what you need. Be sure to read the SS book on how to do the lifts too. Otherwise you can take a look at the Evernote link in the OP or later in this post; the vast majority of the videos linked in the Evernote are concise, short, and effective IMO.
A poster linked to this evernote a while back. It may be a bit of an info dump but it might have some comparable links to the OP.
Sorry if it's an info dump haha, it's mostly for my own use and thought it may or may not be useful for new or other lifters. Maybe it is to supplement or replace the links in the OP, up to the user. I wish I had compilation of YT fitness videos back when I started lifting in August '13.
That link you have is a bit outdated as I have added a lot of stuff to the Evernote over the past few months.

man is anyone in here really good when it comes to diet shit?

I'm trying to follow doing a cut according to http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

so I would be eating between 1-9 pm and according to the calculations my BMR is 1950 calories and 2675 after adjusting for working out 3 days a week. This would put me at eating 2900 calories on training days and 1700 on rest days. Does anyone know if this sounds right for someone who is 5'7 and weighs 190 pounds?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'm trying to follow doing a cut according to http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

so I would be eating between 1-9 pm and according to the calculations my BMR is 1950 calories and 2675 after adjusting for working out 3 days a week. This would put me at eating 2900 calories on training days and 1700 on rest days. Does anyone know if this sounds right for someone who is 5'7 and weighs 190 pounds?

Petrie, Francis, cooter, Darth would be good to go to in regards of that. But like anything else it's gonna come down to how your body reacts to macro/micro nutrients and activity level and adjusting based off of that. Nothing is a one size fits all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

It sounds a little high to me on workout days, but I'm still working on that aspect of it. The toughest part for me was developing the will power which has come along real nice for me, after the first few days it becomes cake and you find yourself actually enjoying meals you first thought were bland/gross.

edit- the other thing I've been struggling with is finding the most efficient ways to spend, what to buy, etc.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice man, if have been pissed about that dude touching my chest at your sticking point if I were you.

Can tell you're explosive the way the bar pops off your back at the end.
I was pissed, trust me. I'm counting it though. It was going up and it didn't feel like he helped. But yeah, fucking people!

Teggy

I know there are some old guys on gaming GAF, but do we have any old lifters in here?

I lifted for a few years in my late teens, then started from scratch 3 years ago (currently 41).

70 is old. 41 is not old.
I'm 41 in 6 weeks. I'm young dammit! Young!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was pissed, trust me. I'm counting it though. It was going up and it didn't feel like he helped. But yeah, fucking people!

Yeah, I would definitely count it too. In fact looking at that I'm positive you had at least 465 and maybe 470 as a hard grinder.

Cooter

Yeah, I would definitely count it too. In fact looking at that I'm positive you had at least 465 and maybe 470 as a hard grinder.
I think so too. I'll give it a month or so and see what I've got. Although by then I'll be 5-7 pounds lighter too so who knows.

The 1700 seems a bit low to me but this will get you shredded if you are consistent. However, increasing it to 2,000 will work also I suspect.

rage1973

I think so too. I'll give it a month or so and see what I've got. Although by then I'll be 5-7 pounds lighter too so who knows.

The 1700 seems a bit low to me but this will get you shredded if you are consistent. However, increasing it to 2,000 will work also I suspect.

If his original calculation is correct he is already over calories on his training days so 2000 would equal his resting days and that would put him over his calories burned.

moocow

I think I posted an image of what I looked like after a big cut from two years ago.

Heres how I looked when I started several years ago at 110 pounds vs how I looked maybe 3-4 months after my surgery which was maybe 1-2 months back in the gym at 160 lbs
zWhRn6m.jpg

Here is how I am today at ~175.
said:

I think I'll post another update when I finish my bulk

Cooter

Going through my photobucket account and I am so close to this...

4c7f07a2-4e22-4732-9b2f-a0f59cb99544.jpg

Maybe 3 weeks... Bulks mess with you man!

Moocow, what a transformation! SHIT!!!

Petrie, Francis, cooter, Darth would be good to go to in regards of that. But like anything else it's gonna come down to how your body reacts to macro/micro nutrients and activity level and adjusting based off of that. Nothing is a one size fits all.

so true, guess this is the fun and frustrating part about fitness. I'll give this a month and if things don't work out then I'll make some changes

It sounds a little high to me on workout days, but I'm still working on that aspect of it. The toughest part for me was developing the will power which has come along real nice for me, after the first few days it becomes cake and you find yourself actually enjoying meals you first thought were bland/gross.

edit- the other thing I've been struggling with is finding the most efficient ways to spend, what to buy, etc.

Yeah I thought it sounded really high as well. I decided to try using the calculator in the OP to see what it gave me and even though that one told me to do 2000 on rest days and 2500 on work out days. Either option has me eating around 15500 calories a week

Thanks, I think I'll try 1700 on rest days and 3000 on workout days and then if things don't work out I'll switch to 2000 on rest days and 2500 on workout days

Gotta get ready for the neogaf summer cut thread!

Cooter

so true, guess this is the fun and frustrating part about fitness. I'll give this a month and if things don't work out then I'll make some changes

Thanks, I think I'll try 1700 on rest days and 3000 on workout days and then if things don't work out I'll switch to 2000 on rest days and 2500 on workout days

That's what I'm talking about! It's going to truly be an inspirational thread!

Still got a ways to get to your level man. Seriously, you are the goal. Ridiculous.

Thank you. Been at it over 20 years. Really puts things into perspective.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What the FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK Moocow! That's some AWESOME FUCKING SHIT

No more PENCIL NECK GEEKS

Nothing but MUSCLE

FUCK

Inspirational my brother!

rokkerkory

I think I posted an image of what I looked like after a big cut from two years ago.

Heres how I looked when I started several years ago at 110 pounds vs how I looked maybe 3-4 months after my surgery which was maybe 1-2 months back in the gym at 160 lbs
zWhRn6m.jpg

Here is how I am today at ~175.

I think I'll post another update when I finish my bulk

Man you are awesome... I know how hard it is to gain!

rokkerkory

Yeah I thought it sounded really high as well. I decided to try using the calculator in the OP to see what it gave me and even though that one told me to do 2000 on rest days and 2500 on work out days. Either option has me eating around 15500 calories a week

I am ready to cut in 3 weeks!!!

I-hate-u

Is there anything I can do to "thicken" my wrists a little bit? They are quite small (~6.5). Keep in mind that I have been using wrist straps for all my pushing movements for quite some time, so I theorized it could be because of that.

Thick wrists/ankles = better strength performance?

I have a pretty basic question:

Why is the de rigeur option to have a "leg day" and an "upper body day" and not have an everything day and a just cardio day?

rokkerkory

I have a pretty basic question:

Why is the de rigeur option to have a "leg day" and an "upper body day" and not have an everything day and a just cardio day?

You could have an everything day but on most days you do not have enough time and will doing it all the time may not be best if you're trying to bulk or focus on certain parts of your body.

Everything day is definitely good every few days however I feel (but not every day). To me that's more of a HIITS day or sport playing day or something along those lines.

Is there anything I can do to "thicken" my wrists a little bit? They are quite small (~6.5). Keep in mind that I have been using wrist straps for all my pushing movements for quite some time, so I theorized it could be because of that.

Thick wrists/ankles = better strength performance?

wrists, not forearms? almost pure bone. size wont change much if you're done growing.

Cooter

wrists, not forearms? almost pure bone. size wont change much if you're done growing.
Yeah, sorry. If you do find a way please let me know. I always wanted to be 6'1! Every one makes the best out of the bones they're given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom