• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mt1200

So, here's my lifting routine:

Sunday, leg day::

- Opening and closing hip abductions on the machine, 18reps, 4 series for both.
- Ball squats pushing the ball against a wall, 18 x4.
- Knee extension on the machine (A pain in the ass) , 18x4.
- Heel rise on this machine
, 18x4
- Quadruped extension 10x4
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

Monday, back day:

- Rowing machine, 18x4.
- Open arm sit pullup machine, 18x4
- Closed arms sit pullup machine, 18x4
- Lateral dumbbell raise - 18x4
- Front dumbbell raise - 18x4.
- Back extension machine - 12x4.
- Butt lift bridge, 10x4.

Tuesday, chest/arm day:

- Vertical chest press , 18x4.
- Cable chest press (sit), 18x4.
- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Dumbbell biceps curl (sit), 18x4
- Push downs, 18x4
- Superman , 15x3
- Laying leg drop abs - 12x4

Wednesday, leg day again with minor variations:

, 18x4
- Back raises - 10x3.

Thursday, back + chest day:

- Rowing machine, 18x4.
- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

Friday, leg and shoulder/arm day:

- Horizontal leg press - 18x4.
- Step Ups, 18x4 each leg.
- Shoulder dumbbell raise - 18x4.
- Superman, 15x3.

Saturday: Rest and cheat meal day

, 18x4
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

Monday, back day:

- Rowing machine, 18x4.

Tuesday, chest/arm day:

- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Push downs, 18x4
- Superman , 15x3

, 18x4
- Back raises - 10x3.

- Rowing machine, 18x4.
- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

- Superman, 15x3.

Where did you get this routine from because it really looks like an over complicated mess?

New Romaleos 2 prototypes:

l6jofGd.png

Those look sexy. I'm sorry but your all blacks look awful IMO.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

, 18x4
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

Monday, back day:

- Rowing machine, 18x4.

Tuesday, chest/arm day:

- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Push downs, 18x4
- Superman , 15x3

, 18x4
- Back raises - 10x3.

- Rowing machine, 18x4.
- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

- Superman, 15x3.

Check this out. You can spend 2 hours a week doing squats, deadlifts, over head press, bench press, and pull ups and get 10 times the results as your current routine which looks to be over 10 hours a week.

, 18x4
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

Monday, back day:

- Rowing machine, 18x4.

Tuesday, chest/arm day:

- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Push downs, 18x4
- Superman , 15x3

, 18x4
- Back raises - 10x3.

- Rowing machine, 18x4.
- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

- Superman, 15x3.

Damn thats a lot of exercises for one day I would get totally burnt out in a week

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
6'2 here, long legs and arms. Comes in handy for some things, but not in the gym.

6'3 here with long legs and arms and a short torso. I think it's pretty good for pulling, although I guess it would be "better" with short legs.

Still, it's awful for pressing. My bench and OHP sucks ass compared to my deadlift and squat.

SeanR1221

Coots, nice squat!

Moocow, awesome transformation. Your before looks like he is sheepishly waving to your after.

MT, delete everything you know about fitness and let us guide you.

sphinx

the piano man
+1 praise post for moocow. That is a VERY succesful before after, is like going from a boy to a man, inspiring.

how old are you in each pic?

guys I'm pretty sure mt1200 was trolling

I don't think so. From reading his posts, it seems he is trying to come up with a routine that will help him achieve his aesthetic goal, which is to look lean and defined.

more than critiziing the composition of the routine, I am going to be blunt and say that all those "18 rep" things are awful. I mean, 18 reps is basically going for a "til failure" set on everything, In order to achieve that,you have to go very low on the weight, 18-20 range is warm up range.

just my opinion.

mt1200

Check this out. You can spend 2 hours a week doing squats, deadlifts, over head press, bench press, and pull ups and get 10 times the results as your current routine which looks to be over 10 hours a week.

That's the routine that gym gave me, I don't take more than a daily hour doing all the excercises.

It's not that hard since I'm not strong enough and can't add too much weight (I can only lift 5lb dumbbells for the lateral and frontal raises, sometimes I try with the 10lb dumbbells but I can't keep my arms fully extended, I suck ) .

more than critiziing the composition of the routine, I am going to be blunt and say that all those "18 rep" things are awful. I mean, 18 reps is basically going for a "til failure" set on everything, In order to achieve that,you have to go very low on the weight, 18-20 range is warm up range.

just my opinion.

If I add some weight, I have to rest at the 9th-10th rep, If I do it at light weight I won't gain too much or probably no strength at all, that's why I try to mix 18x2 some weight, 18x2 light weight.

despire

That's the routine that gym gave me, I don't take more than a daily hour doing all the excercises.

It's not that hard since I'm not strong enough and can't add too much weight (I can only lift 5lb dumbbells for the lateral and frontal raises, sometimes I try with the 10lb dumbbells but I can't keep my arms fully extended, I suck ) .

Not to sound too harsh but that's probably the shittiest routine I've seen in a while. You should definately start doing the OP routine.

NH Apache

Banned
So ever time I go to the gym, there's always the same dude on the squat rack. I ask him how many sets he has left and he says "dunno, I squat 3x a week."

He was on the rack from the time I came to the gym to the time I left, over an hour and fifteen minutes.

His do you deal with someone like that?

As an aside, he isn't intimidating or anything, he goes and does 3 reps at 135 and sits and takes a 5 minute break...rinse and repeat.

I ended up having to use the smith machine on Wed. It was very unsatisfying.

Szu

So ever time I go to the gym, there's always the same dude on the squat rack. I ask him how many sets he has left and he says "dunno, I squat 3x a week."

He was on the rack from the time I came to the gym to the time I left, over an hour and fifteen minutes.

As an aside, he isn't intimidating or anything, he goes and does 3 reps at 135 and sits and takes a 5 minute break...rinse and repeat.

It it was up to me, I would ask to jump in with him. It'll be slightly annoying to constantly change the weight, but I'm not going to substitute my squats. I would even jump in to do OHP. I won't have to change the weights too much in that case.

Holy fuck.

Today marks 9 months exactly since I started cutting

5/6/13 - 192.4 lbs
2/6/14 - 152.4 lbs

40 lbs on the dot. I know a few are from being totally glycogen depleted but still...I can't believe that number.

11 days left on UD2.0.

SeanR1221

"Hey mind if I work in?"

Holy fuck.

Today marks 9 months exactly since I started cutting

5/6/13 - 192.4 lbs
2/6/14 - 152.4 lbs

40 lbs on the dot. I know a few are from being totally glycogen depleted but still...I can't believe that number.

11 days left on UD2.0.

Holy shit. Can't wait to see those before and afters.

despire

I'm starting mah cut at the end of this month. Can't do Lyle's RFLD without fish oil and I can't take fish oil atm because of the vitamin A content (I'm on accutane for one more week).

Plan is to use RFLD for a 4-6 weeks perhaps and then probably UD 2.0 when I'm a bit leaner. Currently BF% is somewhere over 20.

abuC

Partially torn rotator cuffs, plural.

No surgery needed, but have to tone down the heavy presses for a bit and get back on my rehab stuff again. The journey to 10000000000 face pulls & external rotations started today.

Szu

No surgery needed, but have to tone down the heavy presses for a bit and get back on my rehab stuff again. The journey to 10000000000 face pulls & external rotations started today.

Sorry to hear that, dude. The lack of surgery is a really good thing. Take it easy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Man, that's rotten. How long is your rehab going to take?

Wait so even though they're partially torn they can still heal properly with rest and a good long rehab protocol (and I'm assuming a lot of NSAIDS?) I thought once you had any kind of tear you were boned.

No surgery = good

mt1200

Not to sound too harsh but that's probably the shittiest routine I've seen in a while. You should definately start doing the OP routine.

That routine only lasts for about 1 month and a half, after I'm done, I'll folloe OP's routine while the gym assigns me a new routine.

Can I know what's so shitty about that routine?

moocow

Thanks again guys, seriously. You guys are definitely making me feel more accomplished even though I feel I still have a very long way to go

how old are you in each pic?

In the first pic I think I was 17, but I hadn't gained a pound till I was 19(which is when I started working out). So I looked the same, except I had finally got rid of that horrible haircut.

I posted a picture of me from when I was 22 in either this or the last OT, and I was around 144 then but significantly more cut up.

The other two pictures I am 24. I was really bad with injury recovery when I was 20 , so I think I had not worked out for a combined year from an upper back pain plus shoulder dislocation.

But yea, when you factor in how long I have been doing it on and off, it really isn't all that impressive. I actually am probably very behind where I should be at this stage.

SeanR1221

That routine only lasts for about 1 month and a half, after I'm done, I'll folloe OP's routine while the gym assigns me a new routine.

That's a month and a half you could be training smart. Why not just switch now?

It's a mess because it's all over the place and has way too many exercises for a novice. Less is more my friend.

Beginners are capable of progress at a far faster rate than that routine is likely to provide. It seems more designed to keep you busy than improve you towards a specific goal. The only exception would be if keeping busy is actually the goal. Gyms recommend things like this because their goal is to foster consistent gymgoing regardless of the progress you get.

best results are typically seen with a strong focus on a few exercises.. Body part splits aren't really all that good for beginners. Fitgaf will relentless recommend a routine like the op's for strength training because its so much better than a body-part split that it's not even funny (regardless of aesthetics, strength, or weight loss goals) and none of the exercises are actually as hard as beginners think.

starting to have some shoulder pain after lifting. It seems particularly after Dips and OHP.

Any recommendations for shoulder care? I'd really like to not jack this thing up and mess up my ability to lift or end up screwing it up just for life in general.

I've seen band pull aparts mentioned before, how often should I be doing them?

I plan on starting the OP routine on Monday. My question is, how long can I expect to be at the gym each day, for planning purposes?

I'd gotten a very different routine from someone else that had me spending 2 hours at the gym each day, so anything less than that would be an improvement.

My other question is, as a beginner, what's the best way to determine how much weight to put on the bars?

Oh and one more. The OP mentions "arm exercises" and "ab exercises" as some vague throwaway thing. Any guidance here?

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
starting to have some shoulder pain after lifting. It seems particularly after Dips and OHP.

Any recommendations for shoulder care? I'd really like to not jack this thing up and mess up my ability to lift or end up screwing it up just for life in general.

Brolic gives the truth - every day! Do them every day. It's like magic. He set me right on shoulder work.

I plan on starting the OP routine on Monday. My question is, how long can I expect to be at the gym each day, for planning purposes?

I'd gotten a very different routine from someone else that had me spending 2 hours at the gym each day, so anything less than that would be an improvement.

My other question is, as a beginner, what's the best way to determine how much weight to put on the bars?

Oh and one more. The OP mentions "arm exercises" and "ab exercises" as some vague throwaway thing. Any guidance here?

Thank you!

In the beginning probably 30-45 minutes. Maybe even less. In the very beginning I was destroying my sets in 20 mins, but that was while I worked up in weight. Now I spend about an hour, maybe a little more, but I take my time.

Band pull a parts and shoulder dislocates every day for me, just 5 minutes during my warmup.

I also recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608588/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mt1200

. Gyms recommend things like this because their goal is to foster consistent gymgoing regardless of the progress you get.
k.

Well, they first told me I had to focus on losing BF% first(Which was like 15.5+% a month ago) because I told them I wanted ripped abs, I guess that's why that routine seems to lack any focus.

If by the next month they still give me another shitty routine after my next sport-medic checkup (I get 6 free yearly checkups ), i'll then be following op's routine and links instead.

30 minutes - 60 minutes. Depending on rest, learning the movements, etc.

That's crazy. No bueno. I spend about 1.5 hours in the gym, but it's because I spend a lot of time on technical movement. If it was just about lifting and getting out, I can't imagine you need more than an hour.

Just trial and error honestly. Don't be a hero. It's better to go a little light and not regret it than go too heavy early on. You'll have plenty of time to progress as you're comfortable.

Thank you!

Mainly because compound lifts (like Starting Strength) are going to work your core and your arms. Especially if you're new to lifting, this will be "enough." That said, I think as you progress you'll want to add some exercises in that focus on arms and core more. I honestly wouldn't even worry about it the first few months though.

SeanR1221

Well, they first told me I had to focus on losing BF% first(Which was like 15.5+% a month ago) because I told them I wanted ripped abs, I guess that's why that routine seems to lack any focus.

If by the next month they still give me another shitty routine after my next sport-medic checkup (I get 6 free yearly checkups ), i'll then be following op's routine and links instead.

Look, you're most likely going to keep getting shitty routines. Do whatever you wanna do, you're a big boy.

I hate to sound like a dick, but don't ask for advice and then just shrug it all off. People are taking time to help you.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks Darth, Sean, and Bruce!

It's your call if you want to waste your time. In the future, don't be so trusting of gyms and trainers when it comes to training advice. As we witnessed with the routine they gave you, they often have no clue.

SeanR1221

First signs of strength cut loss. One less rep on ohp today. One less on bench on Sunday :/

Oh well. Just gotta keep reminding myself as long as I hit my required 5/3/1 reps or plus some I'm good.

30 minutes - 60 minutes. Depending on rest, learning the movements, etc.

That's crazy. No bueno. I spend about 1.5 hours in the gym, but it's because I spend a lot of time on technical movement. If it was just about lifting and getting out, I can't imagine you need more than an hour.

Just trial and error honestly. Don't be a hero. It's better to go a little light and not regret it than go too heavy early on. You'll have plenty of time to progress as you're comfortable.

Mainly because compound lifts (like Starting Strength) are going to work your core and your arms. Especially if you're new to lifting, this will be "enough." That said, I think as you progress you'll want to add some exercises in that focus on arms and core more. I honestly wouldn't even worry about it the first few months though.

This post was very helpful, thank you very much :)

rokkerkory

, 18x4
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

Monday, back day:

- Rowing machine, 18x4.

Tuesday, chest/arm day:

- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Push downs, 18x4
- Superman , 15x3

, 18x4
- Back raises - 10x3.

- Rowing machine, 18x4.
- Peck deck - 18x4.
- Fast rep abs - 12x4

- Superman, 15x3.

Looks like a LOT of volume... can I ask what your goal is?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think I need to get to single digits. Even when I was at my leanest, nothing popped like that.

Yeah. I lift with my brother and he was always the scrawny one, I was always the manster. He looks like he's put on serious muscle and his veins go bananas, I just look like a behemoth. Ready to cut for REAL. I've had some hard times trying to cut - showing up in the gym, feeling my energy GONE, all sorts of stuff. I need to keep my head down and not despair when gym work gets expoentially tougher, and not be a little crybabby about it. Just accept that there'll be harder gym days as opposed to the joy of bulking.

Yeah. I lift with my brother and he was always the scrawny one, I was always the manster. He looks like he's put on serious muscle and his veins go bananas, I just look like a behemoth. Ready to cut for REAL. I've had some hard times trying to cut - showing up in the gym, feeling my energy GONE, all sorts of stuff. I need to keep my head down and not despair when gym work gets expoentially tougher, and not be a little crybabby about it. Just accept that there'll be harder gym days as opposed to the joy of bulking.

zero veins brah, even when I was trying to get my Devitt on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom