• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here's the 390 bench.

http://youtu.be/5LZmEa4nlLU

And here's the 405 fail

http://youtu.be/jWqsik1q5RE

Quoting so you aren't lost in the shuffle Szu

Well, I'm not planning to cut any time soon, but I figure this is decent time to get some before pics.

I still not at 100%, but I'm feeling better each time I hit the gym. I getting more confident about my elbow, but still taking it easy for the most part.

I didn't really plan on the bulk, but the surgery and recovery made that decision for me. I'm hovering at about 190-192 nowadays.

HMHVxJN.jpg

Lygn8aw.jpg

AT5bOCC.jpg

axl0W5O.jpg

P.S. For anyone that's curious about my elbow recovery. Here are the pics of my elbows for comparison. Be warned, it's slightly graphic.

Left elbow still healing.
Right elbow almost 4 years after surgery.
Both elbows.
Left elbow right before the staples were removed.

I wanna get you on bulk GAF so bad Szu.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm curious about what you do before attempting 1RM. Can you tell me exactly what you did leading up to the 390 lift?

External rotations 20lbs x10 2 sets
Face pulls 110-130 lbs x 10 3 second pause contracted each rep

Bar x10
134x5
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x1
390x1
405x0

Szu

i want to be a strong asian guy like you szu

Be careful what you wish for because I'm barely holding it together.

Based on the fact that men age faster than women and this chart below, menopause could hit me at any moment and I'll turn into a grumpy old man.
BkBwv.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dang this might just be in my head but my shoulder already feels better just after doing band pullaparts for the first time tonight.

It's not. It's the blood that's been flushed into the joint and the surrounding tissue/muscles.

Thanks brotha. You have the same philosophy as me when warming up for a max.

No problem!

Thanks, man. Awesomely beasty, even the fail. I notice there's still plenty of beard.

I guess the first step for me to join Bulk GAF is to stock up on the major food groups. I guess I'll have to start with pizza.

Damn!, thats some heavy ass shit right there

Nice. 390 didn't look too tough at all. It's crazy with arm exercises how easily a couple of pounds can turn an "I can do this!" to a "NOPE!"

Watching those videos, I really need to start benching in a power rack.

Thanks guys. No doubt I'll have 405 or more next month.

rokkerkory

Some of you guys are so beast.

Welp did delts today and had a good session of OHP:

125 x 1 (new PR)
115 x 4 then x 3.5 (cheated and pushed press)
105 x 8 then x 8

tried cooter's suggestion on rear delts too... did a buncha stuff. Can barely lift arms over my head and it feels so good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Some of you guys are so beast.

Welp did delts today and had a good session of OHP:

125 x 1 (new PR)
115 x 4 then x 3.5 (cheated and pushed press)
105 x 8 then x 8

tried cooter's suggestion on rear delts too... did a buncha stuff. Can barely lift arms over my head and it feels so good.

Rear delts are a must. What I really like to do is after my OHP stuff I'll do rear delt destroyers on the pec deck. Well my version anyway. I'll work up till I can not get 10 with regular rest breaks. Then I go back up the stack (1 plate adjustment at a time) with zero rest until I can get 10 again. It's brutal but my rear delts are pretty good.

iddqd

Brolic, do the wrists things help with the bench (not bending them back) or are those just to soak in the sweat?

If its about bending the wrists, where could I get those? I bend my wrists like Mr. Fantastic while I bench.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic, do the wrists things help with the bench (not bending them back) or are those just to soak in the sweat?

If its about bending the wrists, where could I get those? I bend my wrists like Mr. Fantastic while I bench.

Keeps your wrists from bending back. They are heavy wrist wraps from elitefts. I also have the light cloth ones. You also need to learn to cast your wrist with them.

Video there too. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=CT&pid=3018&cid=

This look odd to anyone? This has me eating 400g of carbs on workout days. I know carbs aren't bad or anything but it still just sounds like a lot to me. I guess I can do some brown rice, oatmeal, and fruits and stuff

Rlwsmry.png

rokkerkory

Rear delts are a must. What I really like to do is after my OHP stuff I'll do rear delt destroyers on the pec deck. Well my version anyway. I'll work up till I can not get 10 with regular rest breaks. Then I go back up the stack (1 plate adjustment at a time) with zero rest until I can get 10 again. It's brutal but my rear delts are pretty good.

Interesting will try that.

I am loving all these advice in this thread!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here are my after-before pics from my 1st month working out gaf:

Before (1 month ago):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rg1j92taphfnqwu/Xsq2G9Za7j

After (taken like half an hour ago):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/smn21lp14lk5sfp/UtwfB5Jq82

I have to say I thought that I still looked almost the same until I took those pictures and compared both.
What an ugly out of shape/fat beta I was

Feels good man.

Keep at it.

Interesting will try that.

I am loving all these advice in this thread!

Between that or regular mountain dog rear delt destroyers they get the job done.

http://youtu.be/4J42MqUk3wg

I prefer my pec deck ones though.

I was goin through some old pics and I found I still wear one of my same shirts

21 on the left and 25 on the right, progress would have been better had I discovered this thread earlier

X94Z0vr.png

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

21 on the left and 25 on the right, progress would have been better had I discovered this thread earlier

X94Z0vr.png

Wish I had started as early as you. Man if you keep at it you're gonna be a monster.

moocow

X94Z0vr.png
Good shit man.

I gotta ask, what was your routine to grow that amazing beard? How much creatine did you have to snort?

Szu

X94Z0vr.png

Awesome. Soon, you're gonna need a bigger shirt.

When I was 25, all I did was play video games and eat everything. Even at 40 now, I can never grow a beard like that.

Teggy

This look odd to anyone? This has me eating 400g of carbs on workout days. I know carbs aren't bad or anything but it still just sounds like a lot to me. I guess I can do some brown rice, oatmeal, and fruits and stuff

Rlwsmry.png

Where did you pick the -31/+17 from? I'm guessing the carbs are so high because it sticks to 1gm per pound for protein and has some limit on fat. Has to fill in the rest with carbs.

I looked closer at the picture and it shows custom for a lot of things. It might be that way because you made some changes to the presets. I'm on an iPad now so I can't check it out.

Wish I had started as early as you. Man if you keep at it you're gonna be a monster.

Awesome. Soon, you're gonna need a bigger shirt.

When I was 25, all I did was play video games and eat everything. Even at 40 now, I can never grow a beard like that.

wow man... awesome... i hope i get this type of gains after 4 years!!

Wow dude, awesome! Inspirational.

Good shit man.

I gotta ask, what was your routine to grow that amazing beard? How much creatine did you have to snort?

Thanks for the kind words guys, this thread is what keeps me motivated.

I think a little of Brolics beard power must have rubbed off on me from being in here. Now if only some of his strength power would rub off on me as well

Teggy

I can't go through the whole article right now, but I did skim it and it does mention that carbs is just what's left over after calculating total calories, fat and protein, so it's going to rely on making sure you have the proper calculations for those three.

moocow

I don't know how some of you can follow your diets so strictly. If I want to gain weight, it's usually me just forcing myself to eat more of whatever "healthy" foods I usually eat. If I wanted to lose weight it was usually just eat without having to stuff myself, or maybe cut down a bit on food….

It's probably because of that laziness that I'll never be proper ripped.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't know how some of you can follow your diets so strictly. If I want to gain weight, it's usually me just forcing myself to eat more of whatever "healthy" foods I usually eat. If I wanted to lose weight it was usually just eat without having to stuff myself, or maybe cut down a bit on food….

It's probably because of that laziness that I'll never be proper ripped.

Once you count calories for 2 or 3 weeks by writing them down you can roughly do it in your head for the rest of your life. I don't weigh any food or anything that extreme. It becomes second nature after a while.

Chocobro

This might be one of my favorite pictures in this thread. Fantastic progress over 4 years. I have roughly three years (22 in fifteen days) to try to look half as nice as you in that picture on the right haha.
Asian genes :( The number of guys walking around with beards in my university gym makes me sad.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
One week after tonsillectomy. I've lost 12 pounds, have been on 250-500 calories/day, and can't exercise for another week or so. Will be able to return to normal calorie levels within a few more days.

Had 135 OHP before my surgery (hell fuckin' yeah, btw). Not looking forward to seeing where I'm at in a week strength-wise.

rokkerkory

One week after tonsillectomy. I've lost 12 pounds, have been on 250-500 calories/day, and can't exercise for another week or so. Will be able to return to normal calorie levels within a few more days.

Had 135 OHP before my surgery (hell fuckin' yeah, btw). Not looking forward to seeing where I'm at in a week strength-wise.

damn dood, hope u get back at it soon

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Whatever it's at you will recover quick enough. Most important thing will be being able to eat, obviously.

Husker86

Man...today I just felt great before workout (dat nap) so I went at it pretty hard.

New PR for bench (215x6 then 225x4 then 225x3); whatever was bothering my elbow last week is gone. Did some barbell rows (maybe I should switch to Pendlay rows), squats (still pathetic from injury, but they're going up...let's just say it's lower than my bench still), BB calf raises and some accessory exercises. I need to find a dip belt, did two sets of 20 so I really think I need some added weight.

Hope I feel the same Sunday so I can continue my OHP progression. Did 145x5 on Tuesday, but I think I'm at the point where I'm not going to be breaking my PR every workout. Might take video of that exercise because sometimes I feel like I'm leaning back when doing it so we'll see what you all think.

Still can't decide if I want to start cutting in March and join beach-body club in July. Every time I go up in weight for my main lifts I fear going on a cut...breaking PRs just feels so gooooood.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Went to the gym again today, was pretty happy.

-My overhead press, which caused me to struggle a bit last time, was fairly easy today. Had no problem completing all my sets and then some.
-Wasn't able to surpass my previous squats, but was able to do the same amount from last time, so that wasn't a fluke, fortunately.

Questions:

- Should my lower back hurt when I'm squatting? Specifically the area around my spine, close to the coccyx?
- People say you should drink a lot of water a day, but while I don't do that, I do drink a lot of milk. Should I still drink lots of water regardless cause it has some magical property, or does it not matter as long as I'm getting water in me some way?

Went to the gym again today, was pretty happy.

-My overhead press, which caused me to struggle a bit last time, was fairly easy today. Had no problem completing all my sets and then some.
-Wasn't able to surpass my previous squats, but was able to do the same amount from last time, so that wasn't a fluke, fortunately.

Questions:

- Should my lower back hurt when I'm squatting? Specifically the area around my spine, close to the coccyx?
- People say you should drink a lot of water a day, but while I don't do that, I do drink a lot of milk. Should I still drink lots of water regardless cause it has some magical property, or does it not matter as long as I'm getting water in me some way?

No your back shouldn't hurt are you keeping proper form? And you should probably drink more water.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

Good to hear you're up and running at least! And that's an impressive OHP, mine is lagging as usual :(

gpjPC1K.png

Tash

Question, still having problems with squats due to tight achilles heels which limits my range of motion. I hate not being able to go down deep.

Is it ok to put something under my heels or will that worsen my form long term?

X94Z0vr.png
Massive! Amazing work bud, keep it up. Also thanks for further proving that beards are sexy. (Sorry Shogun)

Always drink more than the recommended amount of water when you are on a routine. While milk will hydrate you and keep you alive because it contains water, the muscles need more water to grow (Water is necessary for metabolic reactions). Also it helps with the digestion of proteins and avoids the formation of kidney stones from animal source protein, which include milk.

Yeah, you more or less can't overdrink water (I mean, you can, technically). I go through at least 2 liters of water at the gym, and drink plenty more throughout the rest of the day.

Some of my joints are still causing me problems, but I've learned to just accept the aches and continue so long as it doesn't hurt me. Just making sure I warm up properly, and do assistance work helping my internal shoulder rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom