• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
all these before/afters are amazing and inspiring,

Mt1200 and Oblivion, you have a great base to work on, You guys may not look very muscled yet, but you have(had) a fantastic starting point and it's pretty visible you work out and that you train consistently, keep at it and you'll reach unsuspected heights.

Oohhthegore, so jelly of how you fill your shirt, that arm/shoulder looks great, may I ask what's your race? are you middle eastern/arab?

J. Bravo

Question, still having problems with squats due to tight achilles heels which limits my range of motion. I hate not being able to go down deep.

Is it ok to put something under my heels or will that worsen my form long term?
have you tried lifting shoes? Like the adipowers people have been posting. That will raise your heel some. Also consider muscle activation therapy aka foam rolling at insertion points. Helped a lot with my ankle after I broke my leg. I need to get back into it to fix my hamstring actually.

Tash

have you tried lifting shoes? Like the adipowers people have been posting. That will raise your heel some. Also consider muscle activation therapy aka foam rolling at insertion points. Helped a lot with my ankle after I broke my leg. I need to get back into it to fix my hamstring actually.

Nope, might look into those. I did do some foam rolling but I am worried I am doing it wrong when it's super painful. I should probably have a pro show it/teach it to me, properly.
Thanks for the input :)

SeanR1221

I was goin through some old pics and I found I still wear one of my same shirts

21 on the left and 25 on the right, progress would have been better had I discovered this thread earlier

X94Z0vr.png

Awesome! That's one hell of a transformation. Us young guys gotta represent ;)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Question, still having problems with squats due to tight achilles heels which limits my range of motion. I hate not being able to go down deep.

Is it ok to put something under my heels or will that worsen my form long term?

I see people squatting with plates underneath their heels all the time, so sure. But keep working your mobility.

If you haven't had time to buy the supple leopard book, or check out the website, here are a couple of videos with exercises.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/08/episode-03-new-concept-and-homework/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/episode-25-heel-cords-of-a-cheetah-achilles-well-being/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/01/episode-141-professional-ballet-dancer-calves-and-ankles/

The second half of this is great
ly fucking painful
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/04/episode-237-heel-cord-love/

J. Bravo

Nope, might look into those. I did do some foam rolling but I am worried I am doing it wrong when it's super painful. I should probably have a pro show it/teach it to me, properly.
Thanks for the input :)
foam rolling hurts like the dickens the first few times. Then it only hurts a little bit less as you get used to it.

I don't know what it was yesterday, but squatting felt fantastic. Every part of the motion felt on point and completely natural. Granted it was a lighter weight while working back up from an injury, but it still felt good.

Tash

I see people squatting with plates underneath their heels all the time, so sure. But keep working your mobility.

If you haven't had time to buy the supple leopard book, or check out the website, here are a couple of videos with exercises.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/08/episode-03-new-concept-and-homework/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/episode-25-heel-cords-of-a-cheetah-achilles-well-being/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/01/episode-141-professional-ballet-dancer-calves-and-ankles/

The second half of this is great
ly fucking painful
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/04/episode-237-heel-cord-love/

Oh those are brilliant - thanks!!
edit: after watching them more closely I am going to buy the book you mentioned. Never heard of it (shame on me..) I am totally obsessed when it comes to working on my weaknesses and I had that ankle/calf problem with squats for a long time now.
edit 2: WTF no kindle version :(

foam rolling hurts like the dickens the first few times. Then it only hurts a little bit less as you get used to it.

Good!
That means I actually did it right. Just need to find a spot on my body where it actually DOESN'T hurt :p

Szu

Gore's picture made me think of a funny idea we could do.

Find a picture of yourself as an untrained novice and then throw the same outfit on and compare.

Nice, it's like your whole body expanded and your hair got spread out.

I probably can't do this idea. Most of my clothes don't fit me well since I lost a lot of weight from my old pictures.

Shadybiz

Find a picture of yourself as an untrained novice and then throw the same outfit on and compare.

I would like to do this...I am about 25 lbs heavier than I was 3 years ago (in a good way). Problem is finding the clothing and the pictures as well. Drastic change in you though, Sean and Gore!

Yeah hurts so GOOD

I have come around to liking the angled leg press. Not as a primary movement but a 10-12 rep ranhe accesory exercise it's actually really good. Once i find the right foot position i feel it all over except the hamstrings and with no lower back strain. Plus you can do calves after!

Of course it's a bitch to load but active recovery or whatever.

All the hair expanded to my back

It is time to teach your wife about "manscaping." Hope you got good plumbing in the shower.

all these before/afters are amazing and inspiring,

Mt1200 and Oblivion, you have a great base to work on, You guys may not look very muscled yet, but you have(had) a fantastic starting point and it's pretty visible you work out and that you train consistently, keep at it and you'll reach unsuspected heights.

Oohhthegore, so jelly of how you fill your shirt, that arm/shoulder looks great, may I ask what's your race? are you middle eastern/arab?

I'm actually mexican, people always think I'm middle eastern though and the beard really make me look like I am

Awesome! That shirt literally looks like it's about to rip

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good to hear you're up and running at least! And that's an impressive OHP, mine is lagging as usual :(

gpjPC1K.png

According to that thing I'm elite on every thing but squat. Take it with a huge grain of salt. (Not at all accurate)

Better to go by are raw rankings from PL Feds.

How often to you check for your 1RM? I'm probably nowhere close to checking myself—I'm only one month into weight lifting again—but I'm curious when it would be advisable to do so.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How often to you check for your 1RM? I'm probably nowhere close to checking myself—I'm only one month into weight lifting again—but I'm curious when it would be advisable to do so.

Mine is programmed. But if you're untrained your 1rm isn't important. Specially with 1 month into lifting. Get some time in work up and you will figure out when you need to check it

I actually do like to do a little 500 meter row before workouts sometimes. That said, the movement is actually very similar to a lot of my lifts, so it works.

I agree overall though, warmup the movements you are going to do.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I actually do like to do a little 500 meter row before workouts sometimes. That said, the movement is actually very similar to a lot of my lifts, so it works.

I agree overall though, warmup the movements you are going to do.

I'm not saying not to do it at all, just that it's not a substitute.

So dont even bother with all that? Just start with warm up squats for example?

For squats I typically bang out lower weight higher rep squats to warm up.

For pressing movements I get blood in the opposing muscle groups and then low weight higher rep for the pressing movement too.

I'm not saying not to do it at all, just that it's not a substitute.

For squats I typically bang out lower weight higher rep squats to warm up.

For pressing movements I get blood in the opposing muscle groups and then low weight higher rep for the pressing movement too.

Agreed. This with a little bit of dynamic stretching that is specific to the workouts is all I do. For example, I do shoulder dislocates and band stretches, a few light weight snatches and then progress to my actual snatches.

For squats I do a few different dynamic stretches to open up my hips and then do some lightweight squats before doing the my actual sets.

sphinx

the piano man

this is the best I could come up with, but the left pic is maybe too blurry. I remember buying that "canon" shirt to show off that I was "fit"... :p hm, yeah. hehe.

the change isn't as impressive like with some of you but I am o.k with it, I have other before/afters I've shown that are more reassuring but was a nice try.

it's also 1.5 years apart, I didn't want to use a photo from when I was like 20, that was 16 years ago, lol, wouldn't make sense.

canonshirt_zps10ec8933.jpg

I'm actually mexican, people always think I'm middle eastern though and the beard really make me look like I am

well, that makes (at least) three of us: you, me and Noema. that's a solid FitMex representation if you ask me (me far behind you both but proud anyway)

This. The only treadmill warmup I do is before actually running in the treadmill.

Your warmup should be specific to the work about to be performed.

I use the treadmill before lifting to up my heartrate only, but agreed, warm up has to be relevant to the main exercises

Brolic Gaoler said:
According to that thing I'm elite on every thing but squat. Take it with a huge grain of salt. (Not at all accurate)

Better to go by are raw rankings from PL Feds.

but you ARE elite on everything, haha, :D

you don't really think your random gym goer has those OHP numbers, right?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
this is the best I could come up with, but the left pic is maybe too blurry. I remember buying that "canon" shirt to show off that I was "fit"... :p hm, yeah. hehe.

the change isn't as impressive like with some of you but I am o.k with it, I have other before/afters I've shown that are more reassuring but was a nice try.

it's also 1.5 years apart, I didn't want to use a photo from when I was like 20, that was 16 years ago, lol, wouldn't make sense.

well, that makes (at least) three of us: you, me and Noema. that's a solid FitMex representation if you ask me (me far behind you both but proud anyway)

I use the treadmill before lifting to up my heartrate only, but agreed, warm up has to be relevant to the main exercises

Yeah, but there's a difference between above average and "elite."

You're definitely filling that shirt out a bit better.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Don't give him a big head Sphinx. I don't know what you're talking about. Every trip to the gym I see at least 3 people OHP 275+ and more people than I can count deadlifting 700 plus. I would even downgrade him to intermediate. ;)

Looking great BTW. You'll be more than ready for FitGaf's summer cut thread!

wait your 36?? I honestly thought you were my age and yeah your guns are gettin bigger, keep it up

rokkerkory

good job man!

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, but there's a difference between above average and "elite."

You're definitely filling that shirt out a bit better.

you are selling yourself short :) but I understand what you mean,

Don't give him a big head Sphinx. I don't know what you're talking about. Every trip to the gym I see at least 3 people OHP 275+ and more people than I can count deadlifting 700 plus. I would even downgrade him to intermediate. ;)

ugh, I know! everyday I see people in my gym that are sick and tired of overhead pressing 275+ lbs for reps. Poor guys, I hope they rediscover the fun in lifting somehow.

Looking great BTW. You'll be more than ready for FitGaf's summer cut thread!

you are very kind :) I kinds like the form of my chest and I think I filled up that part good so far but agree with brolic, I can definitely fill the shirt more.

I am just happy, I am getting out of that awful period that was between December to mid-January... I got fat, lifts didn't move, looked the same (fat aside), awful, I feel like I am "restarting" and I think it helped that I am paying much more attention to my linear progression, like I was doing last year, I have very clear goals for every compound and accesory every time I go train,

EDIT:

Thank you guys, I appreciate it and thanks, GAF for this thread.

and gore, yep.... I am 36... born in 1977... strange cause in real life I look,my age, it's only in pics that people would think I am younger. I think that if I shaved the beard, I'd REALLY look 28 or something.

J. Bravo

So dont even bother with all that? Just start with warm up squats for example?
I shoot around when I'm waiting for preworkout to kick in. And if I just came in from the frigid outdoors I sit in the sauna. Still do warm up sets first though.

also I'm not going to bench today. Probably not advisable with a hand that feels broken. Gonna squat instead!!

really just looking for an excuse to not bench lmao.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Been trying to take it easy on my right elbow, flared up a little bit with some pain, and crunching noises. Hoping I don't have more tracking issues in the elbow. Haven't been locking out at all on bench, was a bad habit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Don't understand why you guys take pre workouts, they are a waste of money. I tried it for a while and didn't even finish th container. It's completely unnecessary. Dark coffee works just fine.

Been trying to take it easy on my right elbow, flared up a little bit with some pain, and crunching noises. Hoping I don't have more tracking issues in the elbow. Haven't been locking out at all on bench, was a bad habit.

Locking out on bench isn't a "bad habit." And if you're hearing crunching noises and pain in your arm you should probably see a doctor.

Don't understand why you guys take pre workouts, they are a waste of money. I tried it for a while and didn't even finish th container. It's completely unnecessary. Dark coffee works just fine.

Locking out on bench isn't a "bad habit." And if you're hearing crunching noises and pain in your arm you should probably see a doctor.
Yea isn't pre workout just caffeine and arginine? (Which doesnt do shit except give you a boner)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yea isn't pre workout just caffeine and arginine? (Which doesnt do shit except give you a boner)

Depends on the pre workout. Some are very potent. I took craze for a little bit just to see what th deal was with pre-workouts and it felt every bit like being on drugs.

They are completely unnecessary.

My pre workout is normally coffee and a banana.

None of this overpriced specialized stuff.

Boom.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Puts a lot of tension on the elbow, especially if you hyper extend. I unfortunately have crunching all over, in my knees, my shoulders, elbows. Seen a few doctors they all say it's just crepitus.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Puts a lot of tension on the elbow, especially if you hyper extend. I unfortunately have crunching all over, in my knees, my shoulders, elbows. Seen a few doctors they all say it's just crepitus.

Hyper extending is an entirely different subject. Yeah, don't do that. Might just be tendonits with your elbow. I'd swap some movements around and find something that doesn't bother it.

My pre workout is an energy MIO. Works fine. About 200-300 mgs of caffeine.

Holy shit. It has that much?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
A lot of pre workouts end up making me feel shitty, it's just loads of caffine and arginine most of the time. Stuff is ridiculously overpriced.

edit-
Hyper extending is an entirely different subject. Yeah, don't do that. Might just be tendinitis with your elbow. I'd swap some movements around and find something that doesn't bother it.

That's what I'm hoping/thinking, I know one specific tendon is sliding over the bone and it can get irritated, once I crunch em out/cavitization happens the crunching goes away, unlike my knee, so I'm pretty confident it's not chondromalacia like in my knee, just looking to stop it from becoming tendinosis. Whenever I do something like lifting//training I go too hard and end up pushing myself past the limit, just gotta learn some self control. Got some nasty forearm tendinitis from curling far too heavy multiple times a week. Fixed that up by retraining slowly and incorporating hammers in.

even though I quit taking pre workouts a few months ago I do admit I loved that "focus" feeling they gave me. It was like having tunnel vision in the gym, I would literally think about nothing else but my workout. I am sticking with coffee now though, works good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom