• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
out of everything I have tried as preworkout:

.- a Banana
.- a Croissant with a sausage
.- an Orange
.- Coffee
.- Creatine
.- A McDonalds Quarter Pounder
.- Cereal with Milk

the clear and absolute winner is..

The Orange,

I don't know what it is but whenever I eat a full orange I do good...don't ask me how or why

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
If my goal is to increase strength and muscle mass, without wanting to be super big, are resistance machines and swimming good enough? I have never been into free weights, I find using resistance machines to be much easier to do and I have always enjoyed swimming, though I can understand if that much cardio is counter-productive to producing muscle mass.

If my routine was such

Monday - Swimming for an hour
Tuesday - Machines that work out arms
Wednesday - Day off
Thursday - Swimming
Friday - Machines that work out legs
Saturday - Sunday off

Could this be an, admittedly slow, way to gain muscle mass and tone. Provided of course I up my intake of protein. Its rudimentary and very simple, but thats what I am looking for, something I can sustain which will, over the long term, produce results. Again, I am not going for huge gains but I would like to become stronger and look bulkier.

Coffee does nothing to me.I take a caffeine pill before workout sometimes but it does nothing either.

It does curb my appetite, but no other effect.

I have friends who get hyper just on a can of coke or something loaded with sugar. I have never felt that.

Red Bull and the like don't make me feel more energy either, but they do make me feel less tired when I have to sleep late. The effect lasts just a couple hours.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
out of everything I have tried as preworkout:

.- a Banana
.- a Croissant with a sausage
.- an Orange
.- Coffee
.- Creatine
.- A McDonalds Quarter Pounder
.- Cereal with Milk

the clear and absolute winner is..

The Orange,

I don't know what it is but whenever I eat a full orange I do good...don't ask me how or why

When I was bulking I would get a protein shake, some yogurt/oatmeal, and a banana. Felt stronger than ever whenever I would have this combo.

J. Bravo

I only take preworkout when I am super tired like today when I got 3 hours of sleep and worked an 8 hour shift. And even then I just borrow a scoop from a friend. Today was taze. Def did the trick lol. I was so hyped.

and squatted 320 for 7. Straight beast mode.

this is 5s week too. Supposed to hit 355 at the end of the cycle lmao.

Go_Ly_Dow

If my goal is to increase strength and muscle mass, without wanting to be super big, are resistance machines and swimming good enough? I have never been into free weights, I find using resistance machines to be much easier to do and I have always enjoyed swimming, though I can understand if that much cardio is counter-productive to producing muscle mass.

If my routine was such

Wednesday - Day off
Thursday - Swimming
Saturday - Sunday off

Could this be an, admittedly slow, way to gain muscle mass and tone. Provided of course I up my intake of protein. Its rudimentary and very simple, but thats what I am looking for, something I can sustain which will, over the long term, produce results. Again, I am not going for huge gains but I would like to become stronger and look bulkier.

gaining muscle is difficult. worrying about getting "too big" is pretty ridiculous. it takes years of hard work and strict dieting to change your body substantially.

machines will do little to gain real strength and show very very slow results.

what you want to do is the tried and trusted beginner routine in the OP. read up on that and come back here with any questions.

and don't be put off by the term "beginner" the lifts in that routine are olympic movements and are the most essential no matter how big you are. hence why the routine is so renowned.

If my goal is to increase strength and muscle mass, without wanting to be super big,

I mean this nicely, but this is a common thing that people say and it's generally said in ignorance. You don't just accidentally "get super big." If you lift weights you don't just blow up like a balloon.

are resistance machines and swimming good enough? I have never been into free weights, I find using resistance machines to be much easier to do and I have always enjoyed swimming, though I can understand if that much cardio is counter-productive to producing muscle mass.

If my routine was such

Wednesday - Day off
Thursday - Swimming
Saturday - Sunday off

It all depends on your genetics, how in shape you are, and what you are happy with. You'd probably be reasonably healthy, but working out your arms and legs once a week on a machine isn't going to give you very impressive results overall. But again, it's what you're happy with.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I appreciate the response, ill be honest I feel a bit out of my depth when it comes to free weights, which is why I primarily wanted to avoid them, its a skillset that needs a teacher and my gym doesn't appear to have those people on hand, they kind of let you in and leave you alone.

SeanR1221

I appreciate the response, ill be honest I feel a bit out of my depth when it comes to free weights, which is why I primarily wanted to avoid them, its a skillset that needs a teacher and my gym doesn't appear to have those people on hand, they kind of let you in and leave you alone.

Self teach by researching the lifts, watching videos, taping yourself, reading about them, etc.

Go_Ly_Dow

with the routine starting strength you can start off with just the bar and no weights attached on all exercises until you master the correct form safely. there are tons and tons of youtube videos demonstrating the correct technique. start low and you will be fine.

what's your height and weight if you don't mind sharing?

Mr Cola

with the routine starting strength you can start off with just the bar and no weights attached on all exercises until you master the correct form safely. there are tons and tons of youtube videos demonstrating the correct technique. start low and you will be fine.

what's your height and weight if you don't mind sharing?

5'11 168lb's

27 years old

I highly recommend starting strength (on the first page). It's only 4 lifts or so to learn and it's really not that hard.

sphinx

the piano man

many of us, like you, were afraid of free weights but we all had to man up and learn by ourselves, or with coaches in gyms, friends, the internet, this thread, books and whatever that could shed some light on the daily fitness topics.

go with an open mind.

Why are you so put off by free weights? I understand it's not for everyone but it's definitely the way to go for anything muscle related.

I'll summarize and say no, with your planned routine you won't see the results you are looking for, you'll just stay in shape, which is enough for many people but you seem to want more.

Nilaul

Im looking for an looping mp3 that has has a tick every second and after 3 sec it would have one heavier tone would do. Meaning: tick ,tick ,tick , puk, tick ,tick ,tick , puk, tick ,tick ,tick , puk etc.

rokkerkory

That's good thing right? Your health is really up to you to define goals and a plan of action. It's like attending college, there will those that mentor you along or teach you but really up to you to make it.

I think it's a great problem and opportunity to have. Just get in there with some basic knowledge and start sweating. As you go along you'll see results and want more, that's when you'll invest time/money to refine your plan of action to get to your goal.

That's generally how I've seen it happen for those around me (incl myself). Research and ask questions so you don't waste time/$ in the beginning. Like if I had the knowledge I do now, I would have gotten to my current status faster (not saying I know everything or am a pro at all).

Mr Cola

many of us, like you, were afraid of free weights but we all had to man up and learn by ourselves, or with coaches in gyms, friends, the internet, this thread, books and whatever that could shed some light on the daily fitness topics.

go with an open mind.

Why are you so put off by free weights? I understand it's not for everyone but it's definitely the way to go for anything muscle related.

I'll summarize and say no, with your planned routine you won't see the results you are looking for, you'll just stay in shape, which is enough for many people but you seem to want more.

Honestly the coupling of making a tit out of myself and injury is the main reason, its a natural right of passage though for everyone in this thread who has persevered as has been mentioned.

I honestly do appreciate the responses, I know people like me are dime a dozen especially around new years with our resolutions. What I am trying to find is something sustainable and, to its credit, the routines in the OP do look relatively simple, once the techniques are mastered. Ill take the routine list to the gym and inquire as to whether there is anyone on staff who can show me the ropes, no harm in asking im sure.

Go_Ly_Dow

Honestly the coupling of making a tit out of myself and injury is the main reason, its a natural right of passage though for everyone in this thread who has persevered as has been mentioned.

I honestly do appreciate the responses, I know people like me are dime a dozen especially around new years with our resolutions. What I am trying to find is something sustainable and, to its credit, the routines in the OP do look relatively simple, once the techniques are mastered. Ill take the routine list to the gym and inquire as to whether there is anyone on staff who can show me the ropes, no harm in asking im sure.

heh we've all been there :). wish back then i had this community to guide me.

starting strength is great to keep you motivated because you will see linear strength gains regularly. short term (2-6 months) when you compare your starting weight to current you will be amazed at the progress. and after that you will start noticing some muscle growth. (6-12)

We've all had to start somewhere, the judgement in your head is way worse than anyone else is thinking. And as long as you don't try to be a hero, chance of injury is really low. Just concern yourself with good form and manageable weight first and you'll be fine.

Just ... be wary of what the gym employees tell you. They aren't really known for always giving intelligent feedback. Kinda like trusting "Geek Squad" to give you real computer advice. YMMV.

A year-and-half ago I was fat and out of shape, I watched a ton of videos (still do regularly to keep getting better) and just learned over time. We all start somewhere, there's no shame in that, but not doing something because your scared? That's the greatest shame to me.

Only the latter is a problem, you can and should make a complete tit out of yourself as many times as it takes to get it right as long as you don't get hurt in the process, which you won't if you do a lot of research or even ask fellow gym goers for a form check or spot. I may be shaking my head at you on the inside but 12 weeks later when you've added some weight and gotten the form down I will give you a silent "good set" nod and be relieved you made it without getting hurt.

velociraptor

OHP/shoulder day for me as well,

I managed to lift 110 lbs, 4x3 (4 reps, 3 sets)

I count on kilograms, so it's 50 kilos for me. The goal of reaching the 50's on that lift was like a long, distant dream some months ago....I just went through my old papers of last year where I wrote my 5x3's and there are numbers like 37.5 and 40 kgs...:)

I am actually excited that things are moving, very damn slowly but they are progressing,

I am here,

OHP4x3feb_zps986ba145.jpg

happy, happy, happy, happy. happy, happy
OHP is tough for me as well. Good work man, keep at it. I find my form turns to shit after 45kg though.

velociraptor

I know this should be taken with a grain or two of salt, but I'd really love to hit the 1000# mark with the big 3 lifts, at or around my current weight.

dat squat tho :(

How long have you been training? Those figures are basically my ideal target. I weigh almost the same as you (150lbs) lol.

Cudder

and squatted 320 for 7. Straight beast mode.

wtf? slow down brah, you're getting too far ahead of me ;)

as for pre workouts, yep. I'm still not sure if any of the ones I tried actually did anything or if it was just placebo effect and I just made myself more focused in the gym because I "took something" :|

Chocobro

Nothing special, thought I'd put it here because almost everyone is. Yes, my DL is out of place; maybe I just suck at DLing :(
-------------------------------------
Second workout with the adiPower and the squats feel almost perfect for me even though it is with lighter weight. Still making my way back up.

Got 5/5/4 for 100lb BP. I forgot I was supposed to deload because I failed 3x5x100lb three times before this time. Now I need to find a functional scale in the university to make my ghetto fractional plates.

Im looking for an looping mp3 that has has a tick every second and after 3 sec it would have one heavier tone would do. Meaning: tick ,tick ,tick , puk, tick ,tick ,tick , puk, tick ,tick ,tick , puk etc.

You're looking for a metronome. Plenty of apps out there.

Husker86

Two questions/thoughts:

First, if I have no requirement to wear shoes (home gym, my rules!), is there any reason at all for me to get good lifting shoes vs. continuing to just workout in my socks?

Second, I need a power rack. The setup I have is pretty nice, but it's not a "cage" really, just has the bar holders on the outside arms so I can't lift inside it like in a power rack. I want to start being able to go for a rep that I'm pretty sure I'll fail, with the comfort in knowing I won't crush myself when I do.

There is a decent priced one on Amazon, but I'm worried about the adjustment spacing...it looks like 3".

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VLRVSC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only one I found with smaller spacing is the EliteFTS, but that starts at $799 and has $200 shipping!

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=SR&SearchPhrase=power+rack

Does anyone have any recommendations? I need one at or under 84" high, and would like at least 2" adjustment spacing, if not less, for benching.

sphinx

the piano man
You're looking for a metronome. Plenty of apps out there.

as a pianist, how in the world did I miss that post and how come did someone ask for a metronome in a fitness thread?

I wonder if it's for some body pump stuff that requires exercises done with a certain rhythm?

rokkerkory

If my routine was such

Wednesday - Day off
Thursday - Swimming
Saturday - Sunday off

Like others have said, gaining muscle is not an easy thing to do, so I would not worry too much. You'll have to be beasting for a few years in order to get 'big'.

as a pianist, how in the world did I miss that post and how come did someone ask for a metronome in a fitness thread?

I wonder if it's for some body pump stuff that requires exercises done with a certain rhythm?

I do some squat sets to a metronome to stay on pace.

For example 3 seconds down, 5 seconds in the hole, 2 seconds up. Etc.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Like others have said, gaining muscle is not an easy thing to do, so I would not worry too much. You'll have to be beasting for a few years in order to get 'big'.
Speak for yourself. I did 25 curls instead of my usual 20 one night and I woke up the next morning looking like the Rock!

ZeroRay

Been doing Bill Starr's rehab program for a couple days now and wow, feeling better already. Really raring to start working out normally again but I know that's still at least another week and a half off.

Friends are having a fun lift meet at the end of March so I wanna be at least at 225 for my 1RM squat in order to keep my team afloat.

I'm thinking about removing my morning cup of coffee. Either that or I'll start to wake and bake. After drinking a cup of coffee I lose all my appetite from morning to dinner. I'll have to choke something down, usually don't eat as much as I should, then the rest of my day is sluggish after my coffee wears off.

Any of you guys manage to kick caffeine?

rage1973

I'm thinking about removing my morning cup of coffee. Either that or I'll start to wake and bake. After drinking a cup of coffee I lose all my appetite from morning to dinner. I'll have to choke something down, usually don't eat as much as I should, then the rest of my day is sluggish after my coffee wears off.

Coffee has many benefits so no reason to quit for me.

Chocobro

I stopped drinking coffee a while ago, but I occasionally have a cup because I like the taste oddly enough. Coffee would mess with my stomach and appetite and it just makes my shit all watery. I also found out the instant coffee that I usually drink doesn't work for me and sleeping early and consistently (can't do that anymore, damn you college) getting the hours I need helps me more.
Overall, no reason for me to drink it every day.

Fuck--why is it that, more than anything else (even OHP!), bench takes a nosedive after I take time off? I'm building everything steadily after being sick for awhile, but the bench is stubborn. I'm actually getting weaker.

ILoveBish

Halfway done with my 3's week, struggled a bit on my OHP but destroyed on deadlift. Right now im stressing due to being forced to move (landlord keeps raising rent, have to get out), and once im settled into a new place hopefully i can go back to training harder. Next week after i finish my deadlift 1's week, im going to go for a new 1RM on it, i think 4 plates will be easy, hope so.

Also, i tried breathing into my stomach instead of my chest, and i nearly passed out on some of my OHP reps. Extremely dangerous! I need to practice my breathing bigtime. After this 5/3/1 session is over, im going to take a month or so to work on breathing, stretches and flexibility.

I was goin through some old pics and I found I still wear one of my same shirts

21 on the left and 25 on the right, progress would have been better had I discovered this thread earlier

X94Z0vr.png

Looking beastly. Have to admit, very envious of people who started skinny and then bulked up, its gotta be a lot easier to go through then getting fat and trying to balance weight loss and muscle building.

rokkerkory

Okay ~11 month progress update, first pic is ~11 month ago (150lbs) and second pic is a few days ago (156lbs).

The first 5 months I spent just conditioning and mostly HIITs to cut fat (~145lbs). Then I started to try to gain weight/mass for last 4.5 months. Will start leaning cycle end of this month.

Goal is to retain 5-6lbs of muscle difference. Hoping to remain ~150 leaned out for summer. Then start slow road to gain again end of year. Slowwww progress for me.

1888647_10152167914143758_301762368_n.jpg

How long have you been training? Those figures are basically my ideal target. I weigh almost the same as you (150lbs) lol.
I've lifted on off throughout the years (high school sports and various leagues durig and after college), but I always kept getting injured and would fall off the wagon. I think I've always had a respectable bench though.
I'm 5'7" and was about 142 in September when I decided to just eat and follow the upper/lower split in the OP (I couldn't even squat 135 for 5 reps lol). I hit 165 at one point, but now I fluctuate between 155-160ish depending on bloat and whatnot; I've developed a bit of a spare tire around the midsection. I'd like to get leaner definitely when beach season rolls around.

You know what motivates me? Sorry if it seems shallow but facebook and instagram motivates me to keep lifting. All the awesome comments on how I'm getting more fit makes me not want to go back on all the old habits I used to have...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You know what motivates me? Sorry if it seems shallow but facebook and instagram motivates me to keep lifting. All the awesome comments on how I'm getting more fit makes me not want to go back on all the old habits I used to have...
Who doesn't enjoy getting compliments? If that is your only motivation it may be shallow, but I suspect it is not.

theytookourjobz

Looking beastly. Have to admit, very envious of people who started skinny and then bulked up, its gotta be a lot easier to go through then getting fat and trying to balance weight loss and muscle building.

I dunno man. Dudes that are "naturally" scrawny and skinny like that generally have to choke down massive amounts of food and lift for a long time to put on that kind of mass. As a former fat guy that lost weight and put on muscle at the same time, I think I had it easier than the skinny bros.

Here's some clean and jerks in tights from yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqddh-nqlhc

Okay ~11 month progress update, first pic is ~11 month ago (150lbs) and second pic is a few days ago (156lbs).

The first 5 months I spent just conditioning and mostly HIITs to cut fat (~145lbs). Then I started to try to gain weight/mass for last 4.5 months. Will start leaning cycle end of this month.

Goal is to retain 5-6lbs of muscle difference. Hoping to remain ~150 leaned out for summer. Then start slow road to gain again end of year. Slowwww progress for me.

Nice dude. How tall are you?

damn homie I want abs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom