• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Darth would take me 6-7 years haha...

I want to be 165lbs in single digit BF ~8-9% would be nice. While not really the weight that matters I do want to grow my legs, chest and shoulders while keeping slim gut. Legs is where I can add the weight easier I figure.

At this rate, I'll net about 5lbs of muscle per year which does mean another 3 years.

EDIT: What do you guys think of kizzito ejam's training videos? He looks like a beast!

Well...my first youtube search of him turned up a "Bicep compound set exercise" which was him doing rocking BB curls. Not sure if I want to go any further.

Regarding your goal, I think that is doable in 2 years. Basically 10-12 pounds of muscle in 2 years. It will almost depend entirely on your diet consistency.

rokkerkory

Well...my first youtube search of him turned up a "Bicep compound set exercise" which was him doing rocking BB curls. Not sure if I want to go any further.

Regarding your goal, I think that is doable in 2 years. Basically 10-12 pounds of muscle in 2 years. It will almost depend entirely on your diet consistency.

2 more years sounds delicious! Can't wait... fast fwd please

In that case I was doing hang power cleans, didn't have to do the squat to get the bar up.

Ah. Generally if your hang is better than your from the ground position, you are having trouble pushing your knees back and keeping your back and shoulders in tension. If you have a vid I can probably help you out.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good news, fellas. I reached a new milestone today. Since I started going to the gym and eating better back in August, I have now gained 30 lbs. I am now at a decent 150 lbs.!

Of course, I still have a bit to go. I'm 5'11" so at 150 lbs, I'm actually at the minimum BMI for someone of my height. But regardless, progress! Woo!

Have never tried a power clean before... do you guys do PCs on back days or leg days?

It's a compound movement. Power cleans are slightly more upper body focused, while full cleans tend to be more leg and upper body focused.

I don't divide my workouts into muscle groups, so someone else can speak to the day they use them better probably.

Go_Ly_Dow

Cooter

I spent a good hour watching Rich Piana videos. That's a world I will never get entrenched in. It was actually pretty depressing. At one point he says he doesn't care how strong he is. His reasons for weight training are very dissimilar to mine. More power to him.

My goal is to be stronger than I appear while bodybuilders aim for the opposite. To each their own. I care about aesthetics plenty but these guys take it to another level.

mt1200

For guys who are already in 8-10% bodyfat with visible abs and ripped muscles, can you guys eat ice cream once a week?.

I don't know how long can I hold on without eating large chocolate bars and ice cream, but I really miss them.

I spent a good hour watching Rich Piana videos. That's a world I will never get entrenched in. It was actually pretty depressing. At one point he says he doesn't care how strong he is. His reasons for weight training are very dissimilar to mine. More power to him.

My goal is to be stronger than I appear while bodybuilders aim for the opposite. To each their own. I care about aesthetics plenty but these guys take it to another level.

Yah, I have a friend who does steroids and is a body builder. He's strong ... but I am catching up to him on many of my lifts at he's been at it 3 years longer than I have. He's blatantly said he doesn't care if he's strong though as "that's not his goal."

For me that's absolutely my goal. I mean, I want to look good and fit, but I'm much more concerned about being damn strong for my size than looking huge.

For guys who are already in 8-10% bodyfat with visible abs and ripped muscles, can you guys eat ice cream once a week?.

I don't know how long can I hold on without eating large chocolate bars and ice cream, but I really miss them.

Man I'm in the same boat a little bit. I've been doing really well on my cut the last few weeks and tonights the first time where I'm feeling completely carb depleted. I'm seriously thinking about going to buy some ice-cream tomorrow because I'm just so drained and feel like I need to load up again before this upcoming week.

Szu

Yah, I have a friend who does steroids and is a body builder. He's strong ... but I am catching up to him on many of my lifts at he's been at it 3 years longer than I have. He's blatantly said he doesn't care if he's strong though as "that's not his goal."

For me that's absolutely my goal. I mean, I want to look good and fit, but I'm much more concerned about being damn strong for my size than looking huge.

Yeah, to each their own. There are even the types who want to look big and strong just for the sake of it (mainly synthol freaks).

Cooter

I used to hover between 10-12% and eat 2-3 pints of ice cream a week. I can't speak for maintaining 8% and doing the same but it seems conceivable.

Today I had a Kit Kat king size ^_^

But I have those pleasures only once a week for my carb load. I can't do that any other day unless I sacrifice milk (and some other food) and then how am i going to drink my proteins?

If you are going crazy I guess a low-fat dessert right after workout wouldn't be too bad.

BTW, I'm in week 3/8 of my cut. I feel leaner and awesome and can see some changes in my upper body, but my gut is still about the same volume but with some creases that maybe mean the fat is receding lol. Coffee with splenda made me survive this week, but I read artificial sweeteners elevate your insulin just like sugar, so I don't know if that will affect my progress.

Yeah there's a big difference between wanting to lift big and wanting to just look like you lift big. I wonder how many people's he's trolled into spending 8 hours in the gym on blasting arms thinking they will look like him. I really hope that anyone who watches his videos realizes that he's obviously on gear

Yeah there's a big difference between wanting to lift big and wanting to just look like you lift big. I wonder how many people's he's trolled into spending 8 hours in the gym on blasting arms thinking they will look like him. I really hope that anyone who watches his videos realizes that he's obviously on gear

Nah, just creatine and supplements.

Cooter

I watched a few videos where he discussed his steroid use and his philosophy on using. I respect his honesty.

rage1973

Ice cream after a hard wokrout shouldn't be bad. It's a nice combination of carbs and fat but just don't over do it.

_Isaac

It appears that the Required Watching videos in the OP are pretty much all gone now. Ah well. They were pretty nice videos too.

sphinx

the piano man

youtube suggested me those Rich Piana videos like a month ago and those were exactly my feelings, It was depressing.

and the thing about aesthestics is that his body, specially his arms, looks pretty fucking nasty, I can't see a defined bicep or tricep anymore, just deformed balloons.

just the initial advertising tells you the whole story: "Mutant, leaving humanity behind" WTF is that supposed to mean.

and these guys, youtube fitness trainers and whatever, I don't think they notice but they always seem to be on something. whenever they they start talking, no matter what the topic, they don't look or behave normal, it's like they are consumed by the matter itself and have to scream and jump to get their message across. I hate that part of the strength/bodybuilding culture, they act like a 14 year boys in puberty.

3 things.

1. Had my first workout since spraining my ankle, was good, but I couldn't stay long. Still not fully healed, but I can walk on it without any pain at least. BACK TO FUCKING CUTTING.

2. I bought Quest bars, if I get fat. I'm scissor holding someone in this thread.

3. Where is Imm0rt4l? I feel like he's the one I most closely relate with physically. I look up to him!

EDIT: Nevermind, he's still here. Sorry buddy, lol. I miss you though!

theytookourjobz

That's why I avoid creatine. I don't want to get that big. Just doesn't appeal to me.

There nothing that just "makes you big".

Also I really wish I could eat ice cream. It's not even that it makes me gain a ton of weight but it just totally destroys my stomach and I don't shit right for a few days after. :/

SeanR1221

My dose is 5000

Yeah I think it's only dangerous at like...40,000 a day for a month straight.

3 things.

1. Had my first workout since spraining my ankle, was good, but I couldn't stay long. Still not fully healed, but I can walk on it without any pain at least. BACK TO FUCKING CUTTING.

2. I bought Quest bars, if I get fat. I'm scissor holding someone in this thread.

3. Where is Imm0rt4l? I feel like he's the one I most closely relate with physically. I look up to him!

EDIT: Nevermind, he's still here. Sorry buddy, lol. I miss you though!

Good to have you back and on the quest train. Please don't scissor me!

and the thing about aesthestics is that his body, specially his arms, looks pretty fucking nasty, I can't see a defined bicep or tricep anymore, just deformed balloons..

Well, it's pretty obvious that he has injected Synthol or some other shit to his arms which makes them look that way. Well, at least he isn't all Synthol like some of those morons
with 30 inch arms..

Due to an upcoming fellowship application, I've been stupid busy. Missed 3 workouts in a row, which is the most I've missed by far since starting 5/3/1 last fall. I honestly think I get temporary depression or anxiety when I miss workouts because I just start feeling shitty and sad. Yesterday I finally got back to it and picked up where I left off: deadlift, front squat, leg press day. Wonderful DOMS already this morning but I am so happy.

I'm not a huge guy nor am I very strong, but man, just getting into the gym and sticking to a weight training routine is so addictive.

There nothing that just "makes you big".

He was joking.

AJ you signed up for the open? I know you said you used to do some cf and was looking to compare scores with some duders if anyone is doing it.

Haven't decided yet. I probably won't sign up, but I might do them. I'm not really conditioning myself to do crossfit workouts currently, but I might do them for shiggles.

RDA of protein for men ages 19-70 is 56g a day. The RDA is bullshit.

I only take 2000 a day but I live in FL so I get a goodly amount of sunlight most days

Yah, asked my wife about it this morning. 3,000 IU is fine. I live in the snowy tundra as well, so I need all I can get.

theytookourjobz

He was joking.

Haven't decided yet. I probably won't sign up, but I might do them. I'm not really conditioning myself to do crossfit workouts currently, but I might do them for shiggles.

Yah, asked my wife about it this morning. 3,000 IU is fine. I live in the snowy tundra as well, so I need all I can get.

Sorry couldn't detect that sarcasm lol. And yeah you've probably got access to all the stuff you'd need. You should def do it! I'm not training for it either (I've got a USAW meet on Saturday) but it'll be fun.

Sorry couldn't detect that sarcasm lol. And yeah you've probably got access to all the stuff you'd need. You should def do it! I'm not training for it either (I've got a USAW meet on Saturday) but it'll be fun.

Days like today I can't imagine doing the open. I'm sore as hell today, I'm just going to lay here in pain today.

Generally the open begins with some pretty easy weights, so I'll probably give it a shot. I used to be intimidated by 125lbs power cleans for reps, but you you clean 235#+ it gets a lot easier.

Honestly, that's why I tired of crossfit (at least in it's most basic terms), I really wanted to get stronger and it didn't really lend to that. Once I switched to Outlaw Crossfit I enjoyed it a lot more. They focused much more on olympic lifting and strength and cardio was a secondary accessory. Over time I fell in love with olympic lifting more than anythings and not focus on olympic lifting with a little bit of crossfit work mixed in.

I'm also not a fan of high rep olympic lifts. Again, if it's 50% of your 1RM and you know what you're doing, no big deal. But for most people it's a disaster.

Chocobro

Due to an upcoming fellowship application, I've been stupid busy. Missed 3 workouts in a row, which is the most I've missed by far since starting 5/3/1 last fall. I honestly think I get temporary depression or anxiety when I miss workouts because I just start feeling shitty and sad. Yesterday I finally got back to it and picked up where I left off: deadlift, front squat, leg press day. Wonderful DOMS already this morning but I am so happy.

I'm not a huge guy nor am I very strong, but man, just getting into the gym and sticking to a weight training routine is so addictive.

I know that feeling quite well..Last semester, I missed a week because I had three exams to take. Then the university gym was closed for almost 1.5 weeks near Christmas. I felt off and, like you mentioned, had temporary anxiety or depression during the hours I normally go to the gym. It would feel I was going through withdrawal haha.
-------------------------------
Makes me sad that I might have to cut down the frequency of the second program in the OP from 3x/week to 2x/week :( The volume of assignments and reading I have for this semester so far is pretty high.

theytookourjobz

Days like today I can't imagine doing the open. I'm sore as hell today, I'm just going to lay here in pain today.

Generally the open begins with some pretty easy weights, so I'll probably give it a shot. I used to be intimidated by 125lbs power cleans for reps, but you you clean 235#+ it gets a lot easier.

Honestly, that's why I tired of crossfit (at least in it's most basic terms), I really wanted to get stronger and it didn't really lend to that. Once I switched to Outlaw Crossfit I enjoyed it a lot more. They focused much more on olympic lifting and strength and cardio was a secondary accessory. Over time I fell in love with olympic lifting more than anythings and not focus on olympic lifting with a little bit of crossfit work mixed in.

I'm also not a fan of high rep olympic lifts. Again, if it's 50% of your 1RM and you know what you're doing, no big deal. But for most people it's a disaster.

Yeah. I used to be a brainwashed cf defender then after a couple years I was a staunch hater and now I just live and let live. As long as people are smart and realistic about their capabilities, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a ton of fun though--even if it doesn't get you strong.

Yeah. I used to be a brainwashed cf defender then after a couple years I was a staunch hater and now I just live and let live. As long as people are smart and realistic about their capabilities, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a ton of fun though--even if it doesn't get you strong.

Oh don't get me wrong. I can't ever fully hate on crossfit - it got me into fitness. I wouldn't be where I am today without the trainers and community I had when I first started crossfit.

It has plenty of perks, just some potential stupidity mixed in as well.

iddqd

Have you guys done your 8 hour arm workout for the day yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVAA-rGTEU

haha

Duckface-douchbag.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
has anyone here said goodbye to any clothes because your body grew and are too swole to wear them?

I had this pants I really like, which I bought when I was at my thinest and leanest in 2012. fast forward 16 months and I think I am about to throw them away, at first I thought it was my bloated belly what made them uncomfortable but after getting back on track with the food.. I realized it's just too tight on my ass and quads.

this isn't a brag post per se, as the pants where already small from the get go, I just wonder if you people have had to get rid of clothes because your body got bigger .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom