• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy hell dude, I finally got around to actually looking at the protein content in foods, and getting up to 180 g of protein per day seems almost impossible. With an entire chicken breast, a salmon fillet, and a whole can of tuna fish, I'm not even halfway there. Uhhh...

vqBsBhm.jpg

This is why I was originally planning to go with the gallon of milk thing. All of the options you guys listed seem really expensive (at a glance, it looks like it's about $15 per meal) and I'm on a pretty tight budget right now. It would also be ingesting far, far more food than I'm used to. Also I'm a very poor cook. Sorry for the negativity, but this whole dietary business seems really daunting.

Edit: Forget it. I'm just not even going to worry about the protein crap right now and focus on getting these exercises figured out.

The food I listed above.

Breakfast total cost - maybe $3

Lunch total cost - $5ish

Dinner - $3ish

MjFrancis

The food I listed above.

Breakfast total cost - maybe $3

Lunch total cost - $5ish

Dinner - $3ish
Yeah, I was looking at that dinner menu thinking a dozen eggs can be had for $1.29-$2 and I'm eating $0.59 Chobani plain Greek yogurt right now. The protein is there and it's inexpensive, but for those who aren't used to consuming a protein-heavy diet they might not even know where to look for those foods.

Being able to cook makes life easier too. You can down raw eggs, but making a nice scramble with veggies breaks up the monotony.

No gear right?

I don't even want to look like that ... ever.

Now this on the other hand:

jackedchinese.jpg
Anyone else find it amusing that this photo is simply labeled jackedchinese.jpg?

rokkerkory

130 - 150g of protein is probably more than enough, dunno why you feel the need to ingest 230 g of protein.

5 eggs = 35 g of protein
200 g of chicken = 50 - 60 g
100 g of different meat = 15 - 25 g
200 g of cottage cheese = 24 g
+~20 g of protein that you can get from stuff like pasta, bread and other carbs.

Seems easy enough even without any supplements.

Add in a post workout 28 g protein whey shake and you're definitely good at 183 lbs.

I always shoot for 1.5x my body weight in terms of protein intake / day.

I don't mind if it's overshooting it, rather that than undershooting. It's been working in terms of helping a bit to gain muscle with added benefits of getting my calories up.

Being able to cook makes life easier too. You can down raw eggs, but making a nice scramble with veggies breaks up the monotony.

I'm a decent cook, but I'm lazy most days. Generally I just cut up a sweet potato, add chili powder and cayenne pepper. Then slice up some bacon and add 4 eggs. Mix it all together in a skillet and then add sriacha. Awesome mix of carbs, protein and fat and it's REALLY good.

Cost about $3 total and is super filling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
1.5 is too much for me. I usually just shoot for 1g per lbm so I'm going for 210 ish a day. If I get more, then great.

Yeah I go for 1x. 1.5x would be a nightmare (270 atm) - but definitely doable. I've had over 350g days. Those were some fat fucking days too..

MjFrancis

How much do you weigh FallingEdge? If you ate 1.5x your total bodyweight in protein, wouldn't that be approaching 400 grams of protein? Going by 1x lean body mass is definitely the better way to go.

I think it depends on your goal... I want to gain as much as I can. Thus 1.5x body weight.

If I were to maintain, then 1x body weight.

There have been studies stating that .6 to .8 is optimal and anything more is unnecessary unless you are on gear. And even then, it might not be that much of a difference. Nothing wrong with 1-1.5 though.

Yeah I go for 1x. 1.5x would be a nightmare (270 atm) - but definitely doable. I've had over 350g days. Those were some fat fucking days too..

Oh yeah. No way in hell I can do that much. At least consistency I can't.

How much do you weigh FallingEdge? If you ate 1.5x your total bodyweight in protein, wouldn't that be approaching 400 grams of protein? Going by 1x lean body mass is definitely the better way to go.

260ish atm. Yeah, it would be close to 400. I'm getting a minimum of around 210-230 a day. More if it happens but not trying to.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy hell dude, I finally got around to actually looking at the protein content in foods, and getting up to 180 g of protein per day seems almost impossible. With an entire chicken breast, a salmon fillet, and a whole can of tuna fish, I'm not even halfway there. Uhhh...

You probably don't even need that much. I doubt I even hit that anymore. I'd venture I'm around 140-150g and I weigh 240lbs.

Visceir

I always shoot for 1.5x my body weight in terms of protein intake / day.

I don't mind if it's overshooting it, rather that than undershooting. It's been working in terms of helping a bit to gain muscle with added benefits of getting my calories up.

Yea, the post was aimed more towards the new person who was sweating over having to ingest that much protein. You really don't need to, the 1.5x bodyweight is correct, except you're supposed to go by kg not lbs, so I'm pretty sure you're shooting waaay over the needed amount.

MjFrancis

I'm a decent cook, but I'm lazy most days. Generally I just cut up a sweet potato, add chili powder and cayenne pepper. Then slice up some bacon and add 4 eggs. Mix it all together in a skillet and then add sriacha. Awesome mix of carbs, protein and fat and it's REALLY good.

Cost about $3 total and is super filling.
Breakfast for dinner is the best. I got hooked on it because I used to intermittently fast so I didn't eat before noon for years, but I still liked breakfast. To this day I still eat scrambled eggs 2x-3x nights a week.

Yea, the post was aimed more towards the new person who was sweating over having to ingest that much protein. You really don't need to, the 1.5x bodyweight is correct, except you're supposed to go by kg not lbs, so I'm pretty sure you're shooting waaay over the needed amount.

If I remember right studies show the correct amount is actually ABOUT .7 - .8 per lbs. People find it easier to just say 1g per lbs. This would also fit with the "about 1.5x per kg."

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I always try to get between 175-225 grams of protein. I don't sweat it if I'm over 150 actually. As much water as I drink eating an abundance of protein doesn't worry me either.

Well I went to the gym and it was absolutely slam packed at 12:30pm. Not sure if that's normal, or if the snow forecast for tomorrow has something to do with it. I decided to wait a few hours, and went to Walmart instead. I found some protein powder that was much more reasonably priced than I expected, and I just tried some and it actually tasted pretty good mixed with milk.

I think I'll stick with the "two shakes in the morning and two shakes in the evening" method and fill in the rest with chicken/salmon/etc.

One more question (might be in the OP, but I didn't see it): Is the "eat about 1 g of protein per pound of body weight" guideline meant to be followed every single day, or only on workout days?

sphinx

the piano man
How do I calculate all then?
There are numerous complicated calculations out there, but really no one needs to manually calculate anything when there are sites that calculates everything for you:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

I am about to say this calculator is full of shit.

I've used it a couple of times and yesterday I used it to calculate how to lose 10 lbs in 4 months and according to it, I should eat a shitton on workout days, which are 4 or 5 out of 7.

Today I followed the plan through and I haven't eaten more in that last month in a single day like today and that's for losing weight... which I've succeeded at only slighlty, by eating a lot less each day for the last 3 weeks....

I suspect the calculator overestimates the "workout" element, or maybe my "workout" is not their "workout" (weight training vs some 1 hour cardio???) dunno, but it sucks, It's otherwise a nice tool.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
When you throw out these insanely cheap food prices, you do realize that not everyone here lives in the US, and that food prices are different across countries?

I mean, a dozen eggs is between $4 - $6. Chicken breasts are around $20 per kilo (so maybe $9 per pound). Milk is $1.50 per litre, so about $6 per gallon. This is for Sweden. So it isn't necessarily all that easy to get a lot of protein for cheap. I tend to go for cuts that are cheaper, like pork shoulder, beef chuck, and they require a lot more in terms of planning and cooking, since they're tougher cuts and require more cooking time.

Whey is also much more expensive here, I paid $70 for 4 kg (9 lbs) of pretty standard stuff.

Eating big sucks here.

Detox

Here's another story why some trainers aren't shit. Me and a buddy both novices were warming up with 60kg squats. Trainer comes over asking if he could borrow the bar and rack for a second to show somebody how to squat and lunge. He proceeds to struggle on the squat then for whatever reason decides to tiptoe out of the rack to lunge. He lunges and his back knee slams straight onto the floor. Struggles to come up and wobbles the 20kg weight bounces once and then straight onto my foot :( then he asks me why there aren't any clips on?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is that Lu Xiaojun? Because I wants that build :F

Again. You better get on a shit load of gear.

When you throw out these insanely cheap food prices, you do realize that not everyone here lives in the US, and that food prices are different across countries?

I mean, a dozen eggs is between $4 - $6. Chicken breasts are around $20 per kilo (so maybe $9 per pound). Milk is $1.50 per litre, so about $6 per gallon. This is for Sweden. So it isn't necessarily all that easy to get a lot of protein for cheap. I tend to go for cuts that are cheaper, like pork shoulder, beef chuck, and they require a lot more in terms of planning and cooking, since they're tougher cuts and require more cooking time.

Whey is also much more expensive here, I paid $70 for 4 kg (9 lbs) of pretty standard stuff.

Eating big sucks here.

That's actually cheap for whey. I paid almost 115 for 10lbs.

Visceir

I think I'll stick with the "two shakes in the morning and two shakes in the evening" method and fill in the rest with chicken/salmon/etc.

One more question (might be in the OP, but I didn't see it): Is the "eat about 1 g of protein per pound of body weight" guideline meant to be followed every single day, or only on workout days?

Might not be all that important right now, but you should also make sure you meet your caloric needs when you follow a diet. When I first started out then I paid only attention to the protein amount in my diet but I wasn't eating nearly enough calories to meet my daily needs to be able to grow.

If you said you're having problems with eating then I suspect you aren't eating enough either.

And I'd definitely recommend you to start cooking. It's not that hard to buy some chicken/pork fillet, frozen vegetables and some spices to prepare yourself a healthy dinner in 15 min, nor would it be hard to prepare some pasta with ground meat for easy calories/protein, it's really cheap too. Just seek youtube for guidance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those whey prices are alright. Still getting through some musclepharm, it's slow going though because I fucked up and got vanilla instead of chocolate.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well I went to the gym and it was absolutely slam packed at 12:30pm. Not sure if that's normal, or if the snow forecast for tomorrow has something to do with it. I decided to wait a few hours, and went to Walmart instead. I found some protein powder that was much more reasonably priced than I expected, and I just tried some and it actually tasted pretty good mixed with milk.

You're eating way too much protein doing this unless you're on shit. You're literally throwing money down the drain. Unless all you're eating is protein shakes.

Cooter

Nutrishop has 2 in house proteins that I only buy now. It's not all whey but I don't care about that any more. Peanut butter banana and mint chocolate are hands down the best 2 I've ever tasted. It's about 60 for 6 pounds. So good with half milk and half water. Thirty grams a scoop at 148 calories.

Yah, my point isn't that they are/aren't on gear. My point is that aesthetically, that's much more attractive IMO. Having quads bigger than my torso is past the point of "damn" and into the level of "ugh" for me. I know some people are different though and I respect that, just will never be my goal.

Yah, my point isn't that they are/aren't on gear. My point is that aesthetically, that's much more attractive IMO. Having quads bigger than my torso is past the point of "damn" and into the level of "ugh" for me. I know some people are different though and I respect that, just will never be my goal.

of course, that look isn't for me but it still is impressive

best body world

Zoe

If I remember right studies show the correct amount is actually ABOUT .7 - .8 per lbs. People find it easier to just say 1g per lbs. This would also fit with the "about 1.5x per kg."

Well it should be lean body mass, but not everybody knows that number.

Just finished day 1 of the full-body routine in the OP.

My last set of squats I got up to 175 lbs and got through all 5, and I feel like I could've managed a little more weight.

My last set of bench press was up to 125. I got through all 5, but it felt pretty close to the most weight I could do. Not sure.

My one deadlift set was at 155 and I got through all 5. Not really sure how close that is to what I can actually do; it's tough to tell with only one set to draw data from.

My pull-ups were by far the worst. I could only manage 2 at a time at most. I ended up doing 6 total sets of 2-2-2-1.5-1.5-1.

Sort of excited to go back and try again.

You're eating way too much protein doing this unless you're on shit. You're literally throwing money down the drain. Unless all you're eating is protein shakes.

How do you mean? I'm going by the guideline in the OP and aiming for about 180g of protein. Each shake is 30, so that leaves 50 that I'm getting from food. That amount of food seems enough to fill me up, and the cost per gram of protein is much smaller for the powder than it is for pretty much any food.

Unless I'm missing something? I'm open to other ideas. I'm completely new at this, so telling me I'm doing something wrong without giving me an alternative isn't very helpful to me.

sphinx

the piano man
second deadlift session in a row that I get a bit dizzy after every set, warm up or otherwise.. and I have to hold from something or lean on the wall on work sets.....is it normal?? I am not even a novice on that lift (as in, I am less than that) so if that's how it is with the shitty weight I am lifting now, I can't imagine when I am actually sorta decent for a beginner...

My pull-ups were by far the worst. I could only manage 2 at a time at most. I ended up doing 6 total sets of 2-2-2-1.5-1.5-1.

if unassisted, then that's already more than 90% of beginners will do.

I think you did well today and you seem to want to learn so that your best asset.

don't overthink the protein thing, eat the best you can, train hard and sleep a lot.

Cooter

Great starting numbers Lunarian. Now eat and lift and step on the scale in 6 months. No need to do so before then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Those are some damn good starting numbers. Took me months to get anywhere near that (except for pull-ups--was good at those for some reason).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys! I like how responsive this community is, eager to offer advice and encouragement, and not judgmental. Glad to be here :)

Don't forget to take your rest days VERY seriously. Rest days are important, no matter how bad you wanna get out there. Be patient, give it time.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks guys! I like how responsive this community is, eager to offer advice and encouragement, and not judgmental. Glad to be here :)

it's your attitude.

Every now and then there come's a guy who doesn't want to learn but only wants to hear/read what he wants to hear/read. The community reacts (either with diplomacy or very blunt, doesn't matter), the guy gets pissed and leaves.

Is this sarcasm

lol, why? It sounded pretty serious

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
it's your attitude.

Every now and then there come's a guy who doesn't want to learn but only wants to hear/read what he wants to hear/read. The community reacts (either with diplomacy or very blunt, doesn't matter), the guy gets pissed and leaves.

Hey, I'm here to inspire. U mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom