• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Hey, I'm here to inspire. U mad?

I am increidbly inspired by you awesome Vince McMahon!!

the very day you said " enough is enough, I don't want a be a loser, I want to be a winner, I am gonna grab those dumbbells and curl them to the sun", that day, thousands of lives changed, you saved them from despair and nothingness.

never leave us!!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am increidbly inspired by you awesome Vince McMahon!!

the very day you said " enough is enough, I don't want a be a loser, I want to be a winner, I am gonna grab those dumbbells and curl them to the sun", that day, thousands of lives changed, you saved them from despair and nothingness.

never leave us!!

I was just yukkin' about that one guy who was like THIS TIME IM HERE TO INSPIRE then got banned.

I'd be surprised if I legit inspired anyone, because all I see in here is inspiration and the good kind of chastising.

Fit-GAF goes a long way towards keeping me inspired and keeping me working, but I'd be lying if I said I'd stop if I didn't have you guys. It's something within - there's a fire there, but y'all just step on the bellows and make it burn brighter.

moocow

Hey, I'm here to inspire. U mad?

Doesn't work without at least 5 shirtless pictures.

second deadlift session in a row that I get a bit dizzy after every set, warm up or otherwise.. and I have to hold from something or lean on the wall on work sets.....is it normal?? I am not even a novice on that lift (as in, I am less than that) so if that's how it is with the shitty weight I am lifting now, I can't imagine when I am actually sorta decent for a beginner...

How do you breathe when you deadlift?

sphinx

the piano man
I was just yukkin' about that one guy who was like THIS TIME IM HERE TO INSPIRE then got banned.

I know :D I was trying to continue the joke. Didn't you detect my sarcasm?

Vince McMahon said:
I'd be surprised if I legit inspired anyone, because all I see in here is inspiration and the good kind of chastising.

Fit-GAF goes a long way towards keeping me inspired and keeping me working, but I'd be lying if I said I'd stop if I didn't have you guys. It's something within - there's a fire there, but y'all just step on the bellows and make it burn brighter.

Of course you have inspired people big guy.

I don't know everyone else but I miss you posting more often. When you were posting more, you'd be incredibly supportive and bring the good mood in the thread, I am sure people miss that.

How do you breathe when you deadlift?

Damn... that's it, I haven't thought about it... I am very likely holding my breath, not getting enough air...I'll check that next time,.

is there any particular way to breathe? common sense would make me think I should exhale when I am up and get air as I return to starting position but I am all ears on that.

At the fair every year the marines have a pull-up station and give a free shirt to anyone who can do 25 pull-ups.

I'm sure there are people that can do 25 pull-ups, but that number seems quite insane to me for the average fair goer.

moocow

Damn... that's it, I haven't thought about it... I am very likely holding my breath, not getting enough air...I'll check that next time,.

is there any particular way to breathe? common sense would make me think I should exhale when I am up and get air as I return to starting position but I am all ears on that.

When you say as you return to starting position, are you saying that you breathe in while still lowering the weight?

I might be wrong in this, but I tend to breathe when I am in a static position. This usually means for me when I am already set up.

It could mean you are not breathing in deep enough. Are you taking a huge breathe while feeling like you are filling up your midsection?

theytookourjobz

At the fair every year the marines have a pull-up station and give a free shirt to anyone who can do 25 pull-ups.

I'm sure there are people that can do 25 pull-ups, but that number seems quite insane to me for the average fair goer.

Yeah. They've done that at the school I go to as well. The range of motion of most of the people that are "good" at them is pretty lacking. Chin not over bar and not even close to lockout at the bottom.

rokkerkory

That is a lot of pull ups... I can muster may 15 on a good day once then it drops considerably to the single digits

That is a lot of pull ups... I can muster may 15 on a good day once then it drops considerably to the single digits

Yah. I've hit 15 or so before, but the problem is it gets harder the bigger you are. There's an ideal ratio and most "bigger" guys aren't it. At 6'2 my ROM is pretty far as well which doesn't help.

rage1973

I can probably do 25 doing some cheating kipping pullups and not going all the way up and down.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Ordering an eleiko belt, knee sleeves and those sexy neon Romaleos 2.

Some progress but it's so hard to gain weight and eat enough right now, putting in ceramic tile and hardwood all day. : (

197 bf%??

IMG_20140210_170720_zps1d2ae3cb.jpg

Anybody wanna do a pull-up challenge? Maybe a month to go for a max set?

Probably good for 40 deadhang right now at 197.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

How strict are they about the type/quality of pullup?

Ordering an eleiko belt, knee sleeves and those sexy neon Romaleos 2.

Some progress but it's so hard to gain weight and eat enough right now, putting in ceramic tile and hardwood all day. : (

197 bf%??

Probably good for 40 deadhang right now at 197.

Prolly around 16-17%, sides of abs but no blocks. You look a little leaner because you have a shit ton of muscle but there's probably more fat on there than you'd prefer (like all of us). You'll look ridiculously jacked if you cut for a few months. Definitely mirin.

Chocobro

Here's a YouTube video that I follow. You can keep your core braced at the bottom position and still breathe at the same time. I don't recall if I exhale on the top or bottom, but my core is braced at all times.

More specifically about how to breathe.

moocow

Trying to gain weight while eating mostly clean is a bitch. Was 175 last week, went back down to about 170. I'm just gonna start eating nasty, one of my meals tomorrow is going to be a pizza pie.

Magwik

Banned
So in July (2013) I weighed closer to 230lbs. At the end of September I was down to 190 all due to pure dieting. But over the recent few months I have moved back up to 204 due to basically not being to hold as true as I was to the diet. I've tried to go back to my diet multiple times that I had but it was so much easier the first time. I want to be down to 180 and maybe 170 before I graduate HS at the end of May. What's my best option for this?

Trying to gain weight while eating mostly clean is a bitch. Was 175 last week, went back down to about 170. I'm just gonna start eating nasty, one of my meals tomorrow is going to be a pizza pie.

Man I don't have this problem at all. I can keep eating and eating. Hell I'm at 255 right now which might be a little too much, don't know yet.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Strugglin tonight. Mondays are my hardest night now. Cut has been goin a month and a half and this is my 12 hour work day. Had to rebuild the entire computer room at the office today, used up a ton of my energy. Woulda been nothing during my bulk, but just wiped out tonight.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I've been doing SS for a couple of months now and the good news is my thighs, upper arms and core have seen some noticeable improvements. But my calfs, ankles, forearms and wrists don't seem to have changed much. Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just keep doing SS until I reach some point?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
3 cups almost every night!
I figured brocoli was just something you used to soak up the excess bacon grease with.

Oh, and you are clearly 15% or lower in my opinion. Maybe somewhere between 13 and 15 is my best guess. One last thing, I'm disappointed your latest pic was straight. I like them when they are at weird fucked up angles!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been doing SS for a couple of months now and the good news is my thighs, upper arms and core have seen some noticeable improvements. But my calfs, ankles, forearms and wrists don't seem to have changed much. Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just keep doing SS until I reach some point?

Add in accessory work if you want to focus on those, but don't sacrifice any of your SS lifts. Heel raises and more, my friend.

Typically they change slowly anyway, don't despair though. The important thing is you proceed with your main lifts.

moocow

I'm not sure what you are expecting to happen to your ankles and wrists man, but you are stuck with what you have. It's just bone, there isn't any real muscle to grow.

Your forearms should grow with your deadlifts and any exercise that requires grip.
Your calf muscle growth has a lot to do with genetics, but in general is a super hard muscle to grow. so that will take a while.

Cooter

Your wrists and ankles won't change. Accept them because they're what you're stuck with. Calves and forearms are very difficult to put size on. Time will be your friend here. Keep working and be patient. After a good 2 or 3 year base I would throw in direct calves and forearms work.

EDIT: Ha. We're like robots moocow.

MrToughPants

I figured brocoli was just something you used to soak up the excess bacon grease with.

Oh, and you are clearly 15% or lower in my opinion. Maybe somewhere between 13 and 15 is my best guess. One last thing, I'm disappointed your latest pic was straight. I like them when they are at weird fucked up angles!

LOL

Ya not really sure on bf%. Legs are getting monstrous, I don't even fit into size 36 pants, 38s are snug.

The Gainz Train bulk is nearing its end.

Cooter

LOL

Ya not really sure on bf%, veins everywhere not apparent in pics. Legs are getting monstrous, I don't even fit into size 36 pants, 38s are snug.

The Gainz Train bulk is nearing its end.
How's the shoulder? Mines getting better.

The fact that you estimate 40 pull ups is staggering to me. Keep going man!

MrToughPants

How's the shoulder? Mines getting better.

The fact that you estimate 40 pull ups is staggering to me. Keep going man!

Feeling better still need to add band stretches and shoulder rehab before including bench again. I've been doing db fly for pecs recently.

Ya estimate, last best was 38 but I stick to 5x20 for hypertrophy.

Im 5'9" PHD :/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Add in accessory work if you want to focus on those, but don't sacrifice any of your SS lifts. Heel raises and more, my friend.

Typically they change slowly anyway, don't despair though. The important thing is you proceed with your main lifts.

I'm not sure what you are expecting to happen to your ankles and wrists man, but you are stuck with what you have. It's just bone, there isn't any real muscle to grow.

Your forearms should grow with your deadlifts and any exercise that requires grip.
Your calf muscle growth has a lot to do with genetics, but in general is a super hard muscle to grow. so that will take a while.

Your wrists and ankles won't change. Accept them because they're what you're stuck with. Calves and forearms are very difficult to put size on. Time will be your friend here. Keep working and be patient. After a good 2 or 3 year base I would throw in direct calves and forearms work.

EDIT: Ha. We're like robots moocow.

Cool beans. Thanks.

Visceir

Whenever I do calf raises on the machine I have the worst DOMS ever 2 days after, which make me unable to walk properly. I know it's because I never really do them, but fuck me does it make me never want to do them again. I even intentionally started off with a light weight last time, no use :(

mt1200

After several failed attempts while trying to side-raise 10lb dumbbells sacrificing form and speed, I had to return to 5lb dumbbells, which is the same when I started lifting a month ago.

I don't know how important is to keep form instead of adding weight, but I can't feel any strength progress at all for some of my upper body muscles.

I have zero patience

Szu

I think I've caught the attention of a cougar. She looks like she's in her early-40's, but she is in great shape. She even knocked out several sets of push-ups (not the ones on your knees).

Then, she noticed that I was doing Dragon Flags. She wanted the challenge of trying them. I gave her some pointers and she did the best she could for her first time.

I still need to be cautious, she's liable to eat me alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom