• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck getting ripped, you guys wanna make bank cooking meth?

Do you actually have a PhD? Honestly curious, I've wanted to ask you for a while but some how method cooking reminded me to ask.

And, I used an EC stack about 4 years ago. It seemed to work well from my single experience. Considering going back onto that bad boy (in combination with some diet/trsing routine adjustments) leading into my wedding this fall. You know, to get a bit more cut for the honeymoon for the future Mrs. Soka.

Husker86

Researched for about a week on what power rack to get. Finally decided on the Powertec WB-PR11 and...it's not available anywhere. One store that said in stock emailed me the next day and said they are out of stock at Powertec (they must drop-ship).

Dammit! I was so excited to get a cage. Any other ones around that price either have holes too far apart, or a shitty spotter bar system.

sphinx

the piano man
so I went today and did a small pic in cheating position to prove it lol

metodayFEB2014_zpsac58cb50.jpg

it was a pleasant gym session, you guys were right, damn, I swear I was so incredibly sleepy before heading to the gym. After stretching and using the treadmill for 5 minutes, I was ready like on any other day to go and do my stuff.

I have to stop posting about how I don't wanna go but I will go, this was the second time in a month... it gets annoying, sorry for that.

I think I am about to break that plateau on bench. I've been making some changes to my approach and I think in 2 or 3 weeks I'll be ready for the next increment.

rokkerkory

it was a pleasant gym session, you guys were right, damn, I swear I was so incredibly sleepy before heading to the gym. After stretching and using the treadmill for 5 minutes, I was ready like on any other day to go and do my stuff.

I have to stop posting about how I don't wanna go but I will go, this was the second time in a month... it gets annoying, sorry for that.

I think I am about to break that plateau on bench. I've been making some changes to my approach and I think in 2 or 3 weeks I'll be ready for the next increment.

great job pushing through when you don't feel like doing it... i get the same way

mindset is key

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Good work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm debating going lighter on deadlifts today because of my max squat last week. Maybe stop at 400 or 375? Probably not the worse idea.

5 hours of sleep yesterday bc of college coursework... this workout is gonna be comical. Oh well. That's what safety bars are for in the squat rack.

Shit I get 4-6 hours of sleep regularly.

Sleep faster.

I can do 6 pseudo-sustainably but consecutive days of less than that gets to me, which is what happened this time. What really bit me in the ass is that the sleep happened in 2 shifts between 8am and 2pm. Irregular timing hurts worse than quantity most of the time.

I should be fine if I sleep like a reasonable human today. For now, though, its time for coffee and the actual gym trip, since work ended.

Fried my shoulders today. These close grip overhead squats require insane amounts of flexibility. I'm getting better, but it's a fight to maintain it:

Weightlifting:
A) BN Push Press + OHS: 60/3+3, 65/3+3, 70-75/1+3*2 sets
*based off max jerk
B) Hip Clean + Hang Clean + Power Jerk: 60/2+2+2, 65/1+2+1, 70/1+1+1, 75-80/1+1+1*3 sets
C) Clean Pull: 85/5, 90/4, 95/4, 100/4

Strength:
A) Good Morning into Push Press: 4 sets of 4
B) Bench Press: 3×8
C) Weighted Planks Hold: 3×45 sec AHAP

Well, Quest bars ain't bad. Pretty tasty for what they are, but I will probably stick to making my own. I got apple pie and chocolate PB if the flavors mean anything.

Also today's a big day for my cut. Since I had to post pone my schedule a week because of my ankle. I'm ramping up my cardio today. Still not doing legs until late this week, but I'm pretty excited.

March starts up my next big phase, where I get back on my old lifting program that I used with that trainer to cut down before. The workouts will get way more intense.

SeanR1221

Well, Quest bars ain't bad. Pretty tasty for what they are, but I will probably stick to making my own. I got apple pie and chocolate PB if the flavors mean anything.

Also today's a big day for my cut. Since I had to post pone my schedule a week because of my ankle. I'm ramping up my cardio today. Still not doing legs until late this week, but I'm pretty excited.

March starts up my next big phase, where I get back on my old lifting program that I used with that trainer to cut down before. The workouts will get way more intense.

Another one converted! Yeeessss!!! Yyyyeeeesssss!!!!! ;)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I can do 6 pseudo-sustainably but consecutive days of less than that gets to me, which is what happened this time. What really bit me in the ass is that the sleep happened in 2 shifts between 8am and 2pm. Irregular timing hurts worse than quantity most of the time.

I should be fine if I sleep like a reasonable human today. For now, though, its time for coffee and the actual gym trip, since work ended.

LOL I was busting your balls and quoting Arnold.

I wish I could sleep 8 hours every night but I just can't do it, I must have a sleeping disorder. Week days I typically get 5-6 hours and on weekends I get 8-9 hours, been doing this for years.

I cannot wait to see you cut up Darth. You already look fantastic man, when you start shredding you're going to be a walking inspiration.

Finally got back to DL's after my hip healed.
Felt okay but really weak. Could barely get 3 x 335

Still I am happy that stupid strain appears to have healed.

They do. You chose poorly, cinnamon roll is where its at ;P

Calling back to fat burners: ephedra is the plant extract. Ephedrine hcl is the pharmaceutical chemical refined from the plant. You can't really dose the former while the latter comes in convenient pill form. You want ephedrine.

Sphinx that aint no cheatin pose! that's like my go to for progress pics. Show off those dragon wings

sdijoseph

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 170
Goal: Nothing really specific, I just want to gain upper body strength (have practically none at the moment). As a secondary goal for aerobic exercise, I am going to try and get my mile time to around 5:30.
Current Training Schedule: Haven't started yet, but I can spend an hour in the gym any day of the week.
Current Training Equipment Available: I go to a fairly small gym that appears to have just the standard equipment.
Comments: I have a few questions:

1. Are gloves a suitable replacement for chalk?
2. From the cardio section of the OP, I am gathering that it is possible to run and gain muscle at the same time. Is this correct?
3. The first full body routine looks fine for me, but do you only need to do like 4-5 different exercises each workout day? Somehow I got it in my head that a lot more was needed.
4. Finally, do any of these exercises require a spotter?

moocow

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 170
Goal: Nothing really specific, I just want to gain upper body strength (have practically none at the moment). As a secondary goal for aerobic exercise, I am going to try and get my mile time to around 5:30.
Current Training Schedule: Haven't started yet, but I can spend an hour in the gym any day of the week.
Current Training Equipment Available: I go to a fairly small gym that appears to have just the standard equipment.
Comments: I have a few questions:

2. From the cardio section of the OP, I am gathering that it is possible to run and gain muscle at the same time. Is this correct?
3. The first full body routine looks fine for me, but do you only need to do like 4-5 different exercises each workout day? Somehow I got it in my head that a lot more was needed.

1.Gloves and chalk serve two different purposes. Gloves help keep your hands silky silky smooth. The extra layer of cloth actually makes it a bit harder to grip.
2. A couple of miles shouldn't hurt your gains. Running marathon level distances can hurt you. Doing sprint intervals actually helps.
3. The big exercises really tax you. Lots of people get by on that small an amount of exercises and make great gains. I still sometimes do more because I have the same thing in my head.
4. Benching does if you can't do it in a cage or rack. None of the others need a spotter.

EDIT:
I actually used to have a 5:05 mile pr back when I was in HS. I regret never breaking the 5:00 barrier. I always wanted to try to do it, but it's daunting to pick up the running necessary, especially when I'm 60 pounds heavier.

DoubleEDIT:

Good shit Bumrush. Looks like a good amount of progress.

BumRush

FitGAF, I've lurked here for a while but figured I'd post some pics of how I've progressed. The "before" pic is from last summer, the "after" from this summer...any feedback would be helpful!!

BEFORE:

i4cSWgh.jpg

AFTER:

XzhNbiB.jpg

rokkerkory

FitGAF, I've lurked here for a while but figured I'd post some pics of how I've progressed. The "before" pic is from last summer, the "after" from this summer...any feedback would be helpful!!

BEFORE:

i4cSWgh.jpg

AFTER:

XzhNbiB.jpg

looks like incredible gains for just a year... nice job

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Great progress in 1 year man! What type of feedback are you looking for?

Noema

No. Gloves are useless.

Do you need to lose weight?

Actually you do 3, 4 tops. You don't need more. Squats and deadlifts are hard. You add weight to the lifts every session. They get really hard very soon. It's all you need. A friend of mine who has been doing Starting Strength for about 4 months now takes almost 2 hours to do just 4 exercises.

A spotter is nice to have when doing bench press but by no means necessary.

LOL I was busting your balls and quoting Arnold.

I wish I could sleep 8 hours every night but I just can't do it, I must have a sleeping disorder. Week days I typically get 5-6 hours and on weekends I get 8-9 hours, been doing this for years.

Dangit I knew that sounded familiar, haha.

Yeah I sleep funny even when there's no demands on my time. It was originally insomnia-ish, but later I switched to stranger variations on things. School has been keeping me chronically exhausted enough to dull the problems a bit though.

Did a body fat check today with a trainer at 24 Hour.

Dood said I'm sitting at ~16% @ 260. In March/April last year, I was 240 @ ~17%.

hoorah

BEFORE:

i4cSWgh.jpg

AFTER:

XzhNbiB.jpg

very nice friendo

rando14

Quest bars are tasty but I can't justify paying over $2 a bar :(

Why do I feel a better pump on high rep workouts (12-18 reps) than on low rep routines (6 reps)? Say, for bench I feel my shoulders overexerted, almost strained, while my chest is not sore at all when I go for low reps, but if I do a 12-rep at a lower weight then it feels pumped and hard.

It's probably because of bad form at the higher weight but if I lower it then I might as well go for 8, 10, 12 or more reps (because I can) which is not the point of the strength routine. What I'm used to do is to target 10 reps and increase the weight if I can do 12. Now I wanted to try something different and target 5 reps and increase at 6 and my shoulders are feeling it, in a bad way.

EDIT: I just had and idea. Should I work on my shoulders more before trying low reps on chest? Maybe they are disproportionately weak. What is a good ratio between military press and bench press that I should target before going all out on both?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! Upped both my standing press and squats today. Feels good.

But I have a question that's been puzzling the hell out of me all night. I met this random dude at the gym who looked pretty damn fit. He wasn't super shredded or anything, but he had a good amount of muscle on him (probably around 10% - 12% body fat). He claimed he was 157 lbs. I weigh 150. Many of you have seen my pics, this guy has SIGNIFICANTLY more meat on him. And it's not like he was short either, he was my height (5'11"). I don't have a picture of him, but if I put it side by side, there's no way in hell you'd think someone like him was a mere 7 lbs. heavier than me. I've encountered a somewhat similar thing with my brother. While not having the physique of this particular dude, he has much thicker arms and legs than me, and yet he weighs 132 lbs.

Somebody please explain how the fuck this is supposed to be possible!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Got a nosebleed tonight dead lifting. Feel like an animal.

You look pretty damn good. Maybe focus on your chest a bit more? Delts look awesome. That's all I've got brother. I'm guessing many men would consider you their end goal.

Not short or wide enough. ;)

Welp.... I'm right in the middle of the snowpocalypse, and there's a good chance that my gym is going to be closed all day. Crappy start to my first week of weightlifting. Hopefully I'll at least be able to get back to it on Thursday and be back on schedule by next Monday.

I have a slightly bothersome right knee pain right after i finished my last set of squats and its been nagging me all night. I hope its not anything that has to do with ligaments :(

Cudder

Why do I feel a better pump on high rep workouts (12-18 reps) than on low rep routines (6 reps)? Say, for bench I feel my shoulders overexerted, almost strained, while my chest is not sore at all when I go for low reps, but if I do a 12-rep at a lower weight then it feels pumped and hard.

It's probably because of bad form at the higher weight but if I lower it then I might as well go for 8, 10, 12 or more reps (because I can) which is not the point of the strength routine. What I'm used to do is to target 10 reps and increase the weight if I can do 12. Now I wanted to try something different and target 5 reps and increase at 6 and my shoulders are feeling it, in a bad way.

EDIT: I just had and idea. Should I work on my shoulders more before trying low reps on chest? Maybe they are disproportionately weak. What is a good ratio between military press and bench press that I should target before going all out on both?
At higher reps you're actually exhausting the muscle. At lower reps, even at high weight, you aren't exhausting it.

Straight on angle...
odfPACl.jpg

Looking good man, I think I somewhat resemble your before right now and your after is my next stop. I agree with Cooter, maybe focus on chest and lats for your upper body for a while (and whatever you need to for lower) if size/physique is your main concern.

Had a pretty down day mentally yesterday, low carbs + depletion workout + work stresses + sore knees + son's "toddler switch" has been fully engaged and he chose to be particularly difficult. Glad it's the last week of UD2.0 and I'm going to see my brothers for the younger's bachelor party this weekend.

High reps burn glycogen for fuel and generate a ton of lactic acid which increases blood flow to the area. At heavier weights you're using more of the creatine phosphate stores for energy and the fewer reps + longer rests between sets means you won't get as big a pump.

Also your bench form is probably just off/poor so you're using your shoulders more, and when they finally get worn out your chest actually has a chance to take on some of the load. Read How to Bench Press with the Pecs.

entremet

NO WAY!!! Seriously? ;)

EDIT: Here's what a light easy DL day looks like for me:

275x5x2
315x5x3
365x5x2
405x5

Vince probably got pharma grade stuff from his physician. He's old enough get on TRT. And with his money and influence, I'm sure it was pretty easy, even through legit channels.

entremet

Woo! Upped both my standing press and squats today. Feels good.

But I have a question that's been puzzling the hell out of me all night. I met this random dude at the gym who looked pretty damn fit. He wasn't super shredded or anything, but he had a good amount of muscle on him (probably around 10% - 12% body fat). He claimed he was 157 lbs. I weigh 150. Many of you have seen my pics, this guy has SIGNIFICANTLY more meat on him. And it's not like he was short either, he was my height (5'11"). I don't have a picture of him, but if I put it side by side, there's no way in hell you'd think someone like him was a mere 7 lbs. heavier than me. I've encountered a somewhat similar thing with my brother. While not having the physique of this particular dude, he has much thicker arms and legs than me, and yet he weighs 132 lbs.

Somebody please explain how the fuck this is supposed to be possible!

Genetics. Don't compare yourself with others like that. It will drive you crazy. Keep making those gains.

But for scientific reasons:

He may be dehydrated and you may be retaining water.

Genetics again. You may have naturally thicker bone mass, which will add more weight.

He could be lying about his weight. Or using a bad scale.

Shit man, how much were you deadlifting?

I screwed up bar placement on high bar squats yesterday. On my last set I rested it on bone instead of trap. That was really stupid.

Did the same thing with a clean on my clavicle a few days ago. Still a little bruised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom