• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rage1973

I'm the opposite. A few months ago I felt a flu coming on. Went to do shoulders and tris and was 100% when I left.

Maybe you weren't really sick and just had a minor cold and the endorphins after working out helped you feel better. But there is no way that working out while you are sick is going to make you recover from your sickness faster.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Maybe you weren't really sick and just had a minor cold and the endorphins after working out helped you feel better. But there is no way that working out while you are sick is going to make you recover from your sickness faster.
I had a temp, chills, and felt weak. Whatever it was I was sick.

I'm the opposite. A few months ago I felt a flu coming on. Went to do shoulders and tris and was 100% when I left.

Yeah I am the same way.
If symptoms are above your chest than the rush of blood will help fire up your immune system and you will create super soldier white cells. If its in your chest though it can make you worse or so the old wives tell me.

I go regardless.

~16%. I think it is a bit higher but that is what the 4 point fat check reported when the trainer @ 24 hour tested me.

regardless, I still plan to drop another 10-15 lbs.

Edge the guy looking like he just got done with a round of golf and is fixing his toupee in the background makes this one of my favorite self shots.

Look into Greyskull Linear Progression, that's where I went after SS and it's working great for me so far. If you read the book he talks about supplementary lifts to work in as you'd like.

So I think I'm going to try this on Monday, but I have questions:

What the hell is a neck harness? What can I do instead?

What does 1x5"+" mean?

To anyone using this program, which assistance exercises do you do?

edit: Some examples of the routine list squats/DL before presses, but others reverse that order--which should I go with?

Cooter

Yeah I am the same way.
If symptoms are above your chest than the rush of blood will help fire up your immune system and you will create super soldier white cells. If its in your chest though it can make you worse or so the old wives tell me.

I go regardless.
It has to be the healing power of muscle ups! What else can it logically be?

I think the only thing I like about being on a cut is it makes pull ups and chin ups easier. Lost like 5 pounds this first week but that's probably all water weight and bloat

Go_Ly_Dow

had norovirus (sickness bug) a few weeks ago.

a whole week of vomiting/crapping/fever/stomach pains

barely ate and had a major loss of appetite the week following too. must have lost 4-7kg.

a huge huge setback and only now getting back in to my routine. down in weight on most things!

however- i will never give up!!!!!!!

Thanks man, I'll pay attention to that in my next workout. I'm also doing UD2.0 by the way, and I am bummed that I feel much stronger and pumped after the depletion workouts on the low calorie days, than on the strength workout which just hurts me even after the full day of carb-loading and resting.

The power workouts are rough, it's just hard to do a really heavy full body workout. I'd say of the 6 cycles so far, three were awesome kickass workouts where I felt strong and lifted heavy (feels good to be benching 195x5x5 at 155) and the other three were miserable and took every ounce of physical and mental energy I had to finish.

You're fucking nuts about depletion, yeah you get a sick pump but it's so exhausting! Especially day 2. Tension workouts are the easiest, you're in a good place mentally with the preworkout meal and knowing you're setting yourself up to shuttle all those carbs directly into the muscle afterwards. How long you been on it?

I also firmly believe that exercise kills colds.

FitGAF, I've lurked here for a while but figured I'd post some pics of how I've progressed. The "before" pic is from last summer, the "after" from this summer...any feedback would be helpful!!

BEFORE:

i4cSWgh.jpg

AFTER:

XzhNbiB.jpg

Look at this stud, you look great!!! Keep it up man! You really have a killer physique.

Drake

I put up 185 4 times the other day on bench press. Don't laugh, I'm actually really happy with that. Considering I've been focusing on weight loss since January 2013. I'm down 69 pounds in that year. I have 6 more pounds to go to hit my goal weight(170). Maybe after that I can finally start to focus on building some serious muscle. It'll be nice to eat at a surplus/maintain for once.

moocow

I put up 185 4 times the other day on bench press. Don't laugh, I'm actually really happy with that. Considering I've been focusing on weight loss since January 2013. I'm down 69 pounds in that year. I have 6 more pounds to go to hit my goal weight(170). Maybe after that I can finally start to focus on building some serious muscle. It'll be nice to eat at a surplus/maintain for once.

Why would anyone laugh? You are moving forward man, so good job on that. And congrats on the weight loss, that's really awesome.

Cooter

You must be new to this place. That's not what we're about. No one will laugh. Great work!

mt1200

Couldn't resist, I just had a small piece of one of these:

3030.jpg

The whole bar (100g) has about 575 cals, chocolate is my biggest guilty pleasure, so a small piece (like 10g, so 57cals) shouldn't ruin my weight loss progress so far.

Broccoli + melted mozzarella cheese is an awesome dinner.

The power workouts are rough, it's just hard to do a really heavy full body workout. I'd say of the 6 cycles so far, three were awesome kickass workouts where I felt strong and lifted heavy (feels good to be benching 195x5x5 at 155) and the other three were miserable and took every ounce of physical and mental energy I had to finish.

You're fucking nuts about depletion, yeah you get a sick pump but it's so exhausting! Especially day 2. Tension workouts are the easiest, you're in a good place mentally with the preworkout meal and knowing you're setting yourself up to shuttle all those carbs directly into the muscle afterwards. How long you been on it?

I'm in the 4th week. I'm planning to do 8 then stay at maintenance 1 or 2 weeks and then go at it again with a focus on either bulking or cutting even more calories depending on the results I get in this first go. I am definitely getting leaner but I want faster results.

During the days I cut carbs I get to 164-165 pounds and after carb load I bounce to 168-169, which is probably good, but I read some guys see drops of 8 pounds during the depletion and then bounce to their normal weight. That means they are getting lean very quick on this diet. I dropped my daily apple starting this week to see if I get wilder oscillations. The only carbs I'm getting are those of peas, a bit of spinach, the few ones in cottage cheese and milk. Let's see what happens.

moocow

This is probably ridiculously stupid, but I want to squat three times a week while still kind of doing 531. I just feel I need to squat all the time because I need to be more stable, and frankly there is no reason my squat max should only be 40 lbs heavier than my bench.

I am still usually out of the gym within an hour and fifteen minutes with some ab workout thrown in.

Feel free to tell me if I am completely wasting my time.

Cooter

This is probably ridiculously stupid, but I want to squat three times a week while still kind of doing 531. I just feel I need to squat all the time because I need to be more stable, and frankly there is no reason my squat max should only be 40 lbs heavier than my bench.

I am still usually out of the gym within an hour and fifteen minutes with some ab workout thrown in.

My squat used to be close to my bench. I feel ya. Kind of a crappy feeling. Mine started going up dramatically when I started squatting twice a week. One day was low rep heavy while the other was lighter and higher reps.

Just re-asking for the the new page:
What are your guys' opinions on west side for skinny bastards? Too much volume? Not enough lower body work? Okay to switch to from starting strength?

iddqd

I think it should be fine to add some squats at the end of the session with 60% and a focus on technique (and around 10 reps). Anything more in terms of weight and you kill the recovery you need.
5/3/1 can feel slow in certain weeks, I also have trouble not doing much more, but then I push the sled or do heavy farmer walks and get the fuck home.

moocow

My squat used to be close to my bench. I feel ya. Kind of a crappy feeling. Mine started going up dramatically when I started squatting twice a week. One day was low rep heavy while the other was lighter and higher reps.

I think it should be fine to add some squats at the end of the session with 60% and a focus on technique (and around 10 reps). Anything more in terms of weight and you kill the recovery you need.
5/3/1 can feel slow in certain weeks, I also have trouble not doing much more, but then I push the sled or do heavy farmer walks and get the fuck home.

Thanks guys.

Yea, I will only keep one day for heavy stuff, and the other one or two on lighter weight with more reps.

J. Bravo

I think Wednesdays are going to be my basketball days lol. Played for probably the last 5 hours with a short break after two for some food and hot tub.fuck lifting on Wednesday lol.

Husker86

Just ordered the Xmark 11 gauge power rack. Couldn't go with the standard that uses 14 gauge steel after reading the reviews. Hope I don't regret it, but I assume I'll be using this for the rest of my life so I went for the extra $300.

I've read so much about power cages, and the more "trusted" brands (I'm just going to assume bodybuilding.com members are just as nit-picky and pack-mentalitied as avsforums) just didn't have the features I wanted for the price.

Can't wait to finally be able to go to failure on bench, though I have gotten very good at knowing my absolute last rep (love those 6 seconds of ohshitohshitohshit).

Here's the rack
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3EWWJ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Much better han where I was at a year after starting my weight loss program. I'm pretty sure I was barely doing 155 1RM. I was really scared of those big plates though.

Regardless, no one will laugh. Progress from anyone is motivating for everyone.

Can't wait to hear more from you. Always happy to meet another former obese guy.

despire

So I think I'm going to try this on Monday, but I have questions:

What the hell is a neck harness? What can I do instead?

What does 1x5"+" mean?

To anyone using this program, which assistance exercises do you do?

edit: Some examples of the routine list squats/DL before presses, but others reverse that order--which should I go with?

The neck harness is just something people liked to do when he wrote the program. It's not necessary. Basically it's just a harness to train your neck with.

The reps are 2x5, 1x5+ meaning that first you do two sets of five and on the third set you do as many reps as you can (AMRAP), hence the 5+. So five is the minimum for all sets but if you can bust out 10 on your last set, then awesome.

The book has a list of assistance exercises and reps but mostly it's 2x6-8 for stuff like rows and dips and the higher for stuff like curls.

Stannis

So what kind of cals are all you guys cutting on?

I've decided to jump on the summer cut bandwagon, I'm thinking around 2000 rest days, 2500 workout days.

I've never gone that far below 15% bodyfat before so it will be interesting!

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks...I really appreciate the feedback from you and everyone!

After that summer I was at 13%-15% BF and I laid a challenge to myself: I wanted to look like my "after" in a year. So I planned to run 500 miles over the next year (ended up doing 800) and lift 5 times a week, focusing the majority of my lifts on superset / drop set / partial reps / etc. I stuck to this religiously - Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Arms on separate days, doing abs 3-4 times a week. Most importantly though I increased my calories by about 20% a day, cut down on dairy, entirely cut out processed sugars / carbs and cut out carbs after 5:00 PM. I'm down around the 6%-7% BF now, and it feels great...

this post is probably in the top 5 posts that deserve the most praise and compliments from anything I've seen so far in these last fitness OTs,

it's easy to go and lift. It's fun once you understand the mechanics.

having such control over what happens at what times of the day with the food and the rest, that is a completely different story. BumRush's achievement is so epic that I would have called it BS if he hadn't explained how he got there. Comments from everybody are well deserved.

Truly inspirational, I also want to have a before/after come next spring/summer that makes me say "damn, and I thought I was doing well back then, wow", hehe.

BumRush

this post is probably in the top 5 posts that deserve the most praise and compliments from anything I've seen so far in these last fitness OTs,

it's easy to go and lift. It's fun once you understand the mechanics.

having such control over what happens at what times of the day with the food and the rest, that is a completely different story. BumRush's achievement is so epic that I would have called it BS if he hadn't explained how he got there. Comments from everybody are well deserved.

Truly inspirational, I also want to have a before/after come next spring/summer that makes me say "damn, and I thought I was doing well back then, wow", hehe.

Thank you!! It took a lot of hard work but once you get in a groove, falling off is literally depressing...so it becomes easier to stick with it.

As for next spring, the wife and I are due for our first in July so I'm not sure what's going to happen, haha

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fit Bros, would need some Deadlift advice, again.

I have finally started to get squat right. It took more than a year to get everything work - knees not too far ahead, weight on heels, deep enough, no butt wink, chest pushed out, knees pushed out... I think I am finally getting it. And my tight hamstrings are starting to loosen to allow for the movement.

But Deadlift. I can hold my lower back straight, but my upper back curves when in the lowest position. As in, in can't seem to be able to squeeze my scapula together when the weight of my arms pull them down. As it turns out, my arms are on the short side (elbow way higher than my belly button). I can hold form through the movement if I raise the barbell on Reebok Step benches, but any lower than that the upper back form breaks down.

SeanR1221

My nose is like a fountain of snot right now. Glad I didn't go last night but I still feel bummed about it. Can't wait to shovel the foot of snow out there.

Mik2121

Today I had a photo of my back taken and I noticed that even though it grew since the last time I took a photo, both sides aren't growing at the same pace and now my back isn't symmetrical at all. Has this happened to anyone else here?

From what I've heard and read, the main cause is that my form isn't correct and I might be using my left side (I'm left handed) more for certain exercises of the back (mainly wide-grip pull ups). Right now my upper lats are bigger on the left side, however the trapezius (the part on the back.. that's the trapezius also right?) is bigger on the right side. So damn weird.. but I have a feeling I'm just not doing my training correctly because some time ago the muscle difference wasn't as big (back then I only took pics with a tank-top though... but you can still see a bit).

Anyway, it was a bit shocking :( but I hope I can fix some of the asymmetry...

PS. Here's the pic:

Hll2AUa.png

In other photos the difference for the trapezius isn't so bad which makes me think it could be due to not applying the same strength on both sides when I took the photo, but the difference on the lats is almost the same in all the photos. Also the lighting might have a bit to do with it, but still.. you can tell the traps don't have the same volume. From now on I'll try to pay more attention.. and also lower that body fat, because my back is looking so undefined right now.

Edit: Looking at photos of people's backs (bodybuilders and people that do exercise, of course), it seems like this isn't as uncommon as I expected... still bothers me a lot :(

Any input is appreciated!

Any input is appreciated!

Could be a lot of things: asymmetry like you said, posture giving you a slight tilt/lean that just makes it show up more in that picture, spinal, etc. It's not a gross asymmetry so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Someone left out a bunch of candy on a table here. I swiped all the pixy stix. PWO shake just got a whooooole lot more colorful. Also, crack.

Mik2121

Could be a lot of things: asymmetry like you said, posture giving you a slight tilt/lean that just makes it show up more in that picture, spinal, etc. It's not a gross asymmetry so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Someone left out a bunch of candy on a table here. I swiped all the pixy stix. PWO shake just got a whooooole lot more colorful. Also, crack.

Thanks Hisshou. I just took a video of myself moving my arms and back in different ways just to get different muscles to pop in and out and the difference didn't seem so big this time. However the lighting was fairly different (strong light from the right side) so I don't know. The pic I posted above was right after training. Maybe today I used my left side more than usual?...

I might be over-thinking this, but still the asymmetry is kinda bothering me so I will try to pay more attention from now on.

Thanks for the comments, peeps. Still got a long way to go and while I don't feel the pic reflects it too much, I have lost weight as clothes are fitting a bit better, including my jeans. Just the beginning babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

The only carbs I'm getting are those of peas, a bit of spinach, the few ones in cottage cheese and milk. Let's see what happens.

Likewise (well kale+broccoli instead of peas and spinach). I do the same schedule as in the book starting monday and this morning is always my lightest. I usually average a 4 lb swing from being carb loaded to carb deplteted.

Stats since I started
5'10" -> 5'10" (didn't expect this to change anyways, oh well)
162 lbs-> 152 lbs
Ab skinfold: 18mm -> 15mm
Thigh skinfold: 16mm -> 10mm
Pec skinfold: 12mm -> 8mm

I wouldn't use UD2.0 to bulk honestly, it's just much easier in every possible way (physical, mental, social, adherence) to do a standard bulk + caloric surplus. There's probably a reason you don't see too many people talking about bulking with UD2.0.

Petrie

Banned
WB Petrie!

Thanks! We've been moving into a new townhouse and work has been crazy busy so I have barely had time to lift, let alone to post about lifting!

My modified SS has been 2 days a week instead of 3.

Can't wait to sign up at the Gold's right next door though. Going to be so nice!

Thanks! We've been moving into a new townhouse and work has been crazy busy so I have barely had time to lift, let alone to post about lifting!

My modified SS has been 2 days a week instead of 3.

Can't wait to sign up at the Gold's right next door though. Going to be so nice!

Gyms near home are amazing. My campus gym is only 2 miles from home (and only across the street from my office) and the other gym I use with my fiancee is less than a mile from our home. Only way we could ever beat this setup is with a home gym.

Which I will build/buy some day when we move to a more permanent home.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Gyms near home are amazing. My campus gym is only 2 miles from home (and only across the street from my office) and the other gym I use with my fiancee is less than a mile from our home. Only way we could ever beat this setup is with a home gym.

My gym is less than a block from my apartment. :) One of the few reasons why I'm very reluctant to move even though I'm sick of how tiny my apartment is.

Which I will build/buy some day when we move to a more permanent home.

I have a campus gym 1/2 a mile away with everything and a basement dorm gym with a rack, a bench, and deadlifting space.

The fact that I am this spoiled yet still miss workouts sometimes makes me hate myself.

rokkerkory

Okay guys I think I will start my cut after this week. Can't wait that much longer lol...

Going to reduce calories by 500 / day

HIITS 3 times a week, plus more abs

Lift heavy still

Protein intake will be = 50% / day (~220g)
Fat intake will be = 30% / day
Carb intake will be = 20% / day

Powercast

I've decided to jump on the summer cut bandwagon, I'm thinking around 2000 rest days, 2500 workout days.

Right now I'm on 2500 everyday, and every two weeks or so I'll have a refeed day where I bump my carbs by ~100-150g.

@Mik2121: I have the same problem, my left arm is a bit smaller than my right, probably from too much barbell work. I'm going to start using DB's more on my next bulk.

mt1200

!

I try to avoid carbs every workout day but the cheat one, so I eat more fat instead.

I eat about 1500 on workout days (i'm very short, and I weight about 58Kg, so I don't need more calories to keep cutting bodyfat) , and like 3000 on my cheat and rest day, I know it's weird to eat more on a rest day, but as long as I keep losing weight, I shouldn't be concerned.

It shouldn't matter too much, since I'm basically eating 9000(workout) + 3000(rest day) = 12000 calories per week, and burning about 500-600+ daily on my cardio routines, s so I can burn the 3500 cals required to lose a pound, or even more.

However, I know that I will plateau at some point, and it's coming closer and closer as I lose weight, It didn't take me so much effort to burn 300 cals when I started working out, now I have to put more resistance/run faster/etc.

1700 on non lifting days and 3000 on lifting days, someone please kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom