• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

Not short or wide enough. ;)

There, better.
E7kCAfh.jpg

BumRush

You look awesome. How did you get so lean?

Thanks...I really appreciate the feedback from you and everyone!

After that summer I was at 13%-15% BF and I laid a challenge to myself: I wanted to look like my "after" in a year. So I planned to run 500 miles over the next year (ended up doing 800) and lift 5 times a week, focusing the majority of my lifts on superset / drop set / partial reps / etc. I stuck to this religiously - Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Arms on separate days, doing abs 3-4 times a week. Most importantly though I increased my calories by about 20% a day, cut down on dairy, entirely cut out processed sugars / carbs and cut out carbs after 5:00 PM. I'm down around the 6%-7% BF now, and it feels great...

rokkerkory

After that summer I was at 13%-15% BF and I laid a challenge to myself: I wanted to look like my "after" in a year. So I planned to run 500 miles over the next year (ended up doing 800) and lift 5 times a week, focusing the majority of my lifts on superset / drop set / partial reps / etc. I stuck to this religiously - Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Arms on separate days, doing abs 3-4 times a week. Most importantly though I increased my calories by about 20% a day, cut down on dairy, entirely cut out processed sugars / carbs and cut out carbs after 5:00 PM. I'm down around the 6%-7% BF now, and it feels great...

I would just maintain if I was at that level. Great work. :)

The key phrase here - everything else just sounds like you put together a plan that worked for you. Rock on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
~16%. I think it is a bit higher but that is what the 4 point fat check reported when the trainer @ 24 hour tested me.

regardless, I still plan to drop another 10-15 lbs.

You're on the cusp of Tanahashin' it up. Two more months brother!

At higher reps you're actually exhausting the muscle. At lower reps, even at high weight, you aren't exhausting it.

Well, I know the high reps exhaust the muscle more, but I expected a feeling of getting stronger at the higher weight with lower reps, not just plain pain. So obviously I am doing something wrong.

High reps burn glycogen for fuel and generate a ton of lactic acid which increases blood flow to the area. At heavier weights you're using more of the creatine phosphate stores for energy and the fewer reps + longer rests between sets means you won't get as big a pump.

Also your bench form is probably just off/poor so you're using your shoulders more, and when they finally get worn out your chest actually has a chance to take on some of the load. Read How to Bench Press with the Pecs.

Thanks man, I'll pay attention to that in my next workout. I'm also doing UD2.0 by the way, and I am bummed that I feel much stronger and pumped after the depletion workouts on the low calorie days, than on the strength workout which just hurts me even after the full day of carb-loading and resting.

I've been doing Starting Strength on and off for several years, and I'm beginning to feel like it's time for a change-up. I still love the fundamentals of the program, but certain lifts are stalling out. Since I was sick for nearly a whole month, I've had a hell of a time getting back to "normal"--so much so that my bench press has been getting *worse* week-to-week. Here's where I'm at:

Squat: 280 3x5 (290 pre-illness)
Bench: 195 3x5 (almost at 220 pre-illness)
DL: 330 1x5 (340 "")
OHP: 145 3x5 (150 "")

In lieu of power cleans I do Pendlay Rows and curls--PCs are too hard for me to figure out on my own.

What I hope to do is add supplementary lifts or change up the programming for the respective lifts.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Ordered XL for my belt, 32.75-38.5", Large were out of stock. It should fit fine for now 36 pants are super tight and 38 fit snug at the waist and my obliques are rather large.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So what do you guys do about the stretch marks post cut? Mine just faded last time I cut, hoping the same happens this time.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So what do you guys do about the stretch marks post cut? Mine just faded last time I cut, hoping the same happens this time.
I try not to get them! Only thing I know of is rubbing vitamin E and cocco butter on them. They're not going away but they should lighten with time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I try not to get them! Only thing I know of is rubbing vitamin E and cocco butter on them. They're not going away but they should lighten with time.

I started taking notice of them on various builders/jacked guys. For instance Vin in fast 6 had some, but they were faded.

What are thoughts on mio energy guys? How much of this should I use?

moocow

Damn FE, looking huge.

I did barbell lunges for the first time and my glutes feel them today. It was light too, only 75 lbs. Definitely adding them into my rotation.

Cooter

I started taking notice of them on various builders/jacked guys. For instance Vin in fast 6 had some, but they were faded.

What are thoughts on mio energy guys? How much of this should I use?
Love it! I spray enough so I can't see through my 16.9 ounce bottle!

I've been doing Starting Strength on and off for several years, and I'm beginning to feel like it's time for a change-up. I still love the fundamentals of the program, but certain lifts are stalling out. Since I was sick for nearly a whole month, I've had a hell of a time getting back to "normal"--so much so that my bench press has been getting *worse* week-to-week. Here's where I'm at:

Squat: 280 3x5 (290 pre-illness)
Bench: 195 3x5 (almost at 220 pre-illness)
DL: 330 1x5 (340 "")
OHP: 145 3x5 (150 "")

In lieu of power cleans I do Pendlay Rows and curls--PCs are too hard for me to figure out on my own.

What I hope to do is add supplementary lifts or change up the programming for the respective lifts.

Look into Greyskull Linear Progression, that's where I went after SS and it's working great for me so far. If you read the book he talks about supplementary lifts to work in as you'd like.

Look into Greyskull Linear Progression, that's where I went after SS and it's working great for me so far. If you read the book he talks about supplementary lifts to work in as you'd like.

Which book is it, exactly? He has a huge selection on his website.

And thanks--this does indeed look interesting, although moving onto anything from SS is really frightening!

Cooter

Which book is it, exactly? He has a huge selection on his website.

And thanks--this does indeed look interesting, although moving onto anything from SS is really frightening!
Don't be frightened. It's time to add some shape to those muscles now!

Don't be frightened. It's time to add some shape to those muscles now!

The prospect of working out differently is actually pretty exciting, I'm just nervous about switching to something less automatic. Like, I have an SS warm-up calculator on my phone, and I'm going to have to figure out how to program this new routine.

All apart of the process, I suppose!

SeanR1221

Debating if I want to skip tonight. I'm suppose to squat.

I'm coming down with a cold. My eyes are watery, nose is stuffy...nothing major but I feel drained.

Can't go tomorrow because of another snowpacolypse hitting Philly.

I hate pushing all my workouts to different days so if I skipped squats id be skipping them for the week.

Hmm

I'm coming down with a cold. My eyes are watery, nose is stuffy...nothing major but I feel drained.

I hate pushing all my workouts to different days so if I skipped squats id be skipping them for the week.

Hmm

I didn't take the time off a few weeks ago when I was sick and ended up missing more days than if I didn't go and just rested. It would suck to move squat day though, I think thats turned into my favorite day lately.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm

Go. Go damn you go! GAINS WAIT FOR NO MAN!

Also if you're getting dumped on with snow, nobody else will be there tomorrow so don't sweat it. GO GO GO!

moocow

Hmm

My hs track coach used to tell us that if we had a temperature, that it just meant we were already warmed up.

So if it's nothing too serious, and you feel up for it, go for it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm

Never skip squats!

Just do 'em and go home!

rokkerkory

Hmm

If it's major then skip and heal and hit it hard tomorrow

sphinx

the piano man
I have to say, I did skip squats today....

today was a new PR/Increment in the program but all the week I've been feeling cramps on my knees and quads and I don't know what it was.

I never had that kind of discomfort so... mmhh... I decided to do a cardio day today (sorry everyone, lol)

I burned 600 calories and did a shitton of leg raises, that was it. I know I used my legs but it's different, it's not as demanding.

I am debating whether to do legs on weekend, but I am leaning against it, I think it's for the better to wait til wednesday and break that new PR like I should, the power rack isn't going anywhere and this isn't a sprint (blabla, lol).

I have to stay I did skip squats today....

today was a new PR/Increment in the program but all the week I've been feeling cramps on my knees and quads and I don't know what was it.

I never had that kind of discomfort so... mmhh... I decided to do a cardio day today (sorry everyone, lol)

I burned 600 calories and did a shitton of leg raises, that was it. I know I used my legs but it's different, it's not as demanding.

I am debating whether to do legs on weekend, but I am leaning against it, I think it's for the better to wait til wednesday and break that new PR like I should, the power rack isn't going anywhere and this isn't a sprint (blabla, lol).

lol, it's cold today and I don't want to go to the gym. Today is leg day and I don't like it anyways, but the program demands it, and a friend from India just came back with delicious sweets and munchies and I had a few bites even though I'm supposed to have very few carbs today. Maybe lots of cardio will put me on the right path, calves get a good workout from it anyways "D

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I got up at 6am to go lift at the gym before work two days (mon and wed) in a row this week. And I am not a morning person. If that's not commitment I don't know what is. I feel like my strength takes a bit of a dive when I do this though.

I was about to blow a gasket when I walked in at 6:30am and saw some old dude doing leg stretches on the bench press...

Cooter

If you are feeling sick you are better off resting and let your body heal itself.
In my opinion working out just makes your sickness last longer.
I'm the opposite. A few months ago I felt a flu coming on. Went to do shoulders and tris and was 100% when I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom