• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Gyms near home are amazing. My campus gym is only 2 miles from home (and only across the street from my office) and the other gym I use with my fiancee is less than a mile from our home. Only way we could ever beat this setup is with a home gym.

Which I will build/buy some day when we move to a more permanent home.

Yeah One of my gyms is 2 miles from work. Now I have the other within a block of my new place. Life is good.

My gym is less than a block from my apartment. :) One of the few reasons why I'm very reluctant to move even though I'm sick of how tiny my apartment is.

Joining this club. So pumped!

I have a campus gym 1/2 a mile away with everything and a basement dorm gym with a rack, a bench, and deadlifting space.

The fact that I am this spoiled yet still miss workouts sometimes makes me hate myself.

Yeah, I will feel much worse if I skip a day when it's fucking next door.

Szu

Yeah One of my gyms is 2 miles from work. Now I have the other within a block of my new place. Life is good.

Joining this club. So pumped!

Yeah, I will feel much worse if I skip a day when it's fucking next door.

I got a gym that's a few blocks away from my workplace and another gym that's a few blocks away from home.

The only disadvantage is that my lazy ass can't come up with enough stupid excuses to skip the gym.

Petrie

Banned
I got a gym that's a few blocks away from my workplace and another gym that's a few blocks away from home.

The only disadvantage is that my lazy ass can't come up with enough stupid excuses to skip the gym.

Sounds like an advantage to me!

The neck harness is just something people liked to do when he wrote the program. It's not necessary. Basically it's just a harness to train your neck with.

The reps are 2x5, 1x5+ meaning that first you do two sets of five and on the third set you do as many reps as you can (AMRAP), hence the 5+. So five is the minimum for all sets but if you can bust out 10 on your last set, then awesome.

The book has a list of assistance exercises and reps but mostly it's 2x6-8 for stuff like rows and dips and the higher for stuff like curls.

I apologize for clogging the thread with a list of questions regarding this, but final transitioning out of SS feels very, very strange, and I want to make sure I do it right! Anyone is welcome to answer these.

Do you think you could share a sampling of the assistance exercises and rep parameters listed in the book? In regard to these, I'm confused as to what in the program (other than the compound lifts) can be substituted out. I'd buy the book myself, but $30 is currently out of my price range.

Speaking of the compound lifts, what sort of rest period does he recommend between them? Since I'll be lifting less weight in order to do more than 5 reps on the third set, I have to imagine I should wait less time than SS? I currently wait 5-7 minutes depending on how I feel that day.

Also, pull-ups/chin-ups are a problem for me. My gym somehow doesn't have a standard, horizontal pull-up bar, but instead has a "parallel" bar. Does this matter?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have begun doing pull ups in between my squats again on Wednesdays. I forgot how much more difficult they make my squats. I was winded and sweating much more than I have these past 2 or 3 months doing squats by themselves.

Szu

I have begun doing pull ups in between my squats again on Wednesdays. I forgot how much more difficult they make my squats. I was winded and sweating much more than I have these past 2 or 3 months doing squats by themselves.

Cool, I guess your shoulders are feeling better.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cool, I guess your shoulders are feeling better.
It was just my left one but yes, it is. Finally! Lots of band pull a parts and face pulls. Also rolling on a golf ball in the back and a raquette ball in the front.

moocow

I am so happy today is my day off. The snow on the east coast is mad heavy today. Put in about an hour of shoveling, and have maybe 30 -60 minutes more left.

That Empire Lifts back shirt will be mine.

I saw this on the Starting Strength Wiki, and had a couple of questions.
Is it OK to replace seated press with standing ohp, and just reg DLs (1x5 workset, then 1x5 @ 75%) instead of SLDL?
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/After_Starting_Strength

Week A

Day 1
Back Squat 3x5, 1x8
Bench press 3x5,1x8
Chin-ups 4x8-15

Day 2
Front squats 3x5, 1x8 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
Seated Press 3x5, 1x8
SLDL 3x5, 1x8

Day 3
Squat 3x5, 1x8
Incline Bench press 3x5, 1x8
Row 3x5, 1x8

Week B

Day 1
Squat 3x5, 1x8
Seated Press 3x5, 1x8
Chin-ups 4x8-15

Day 2
Front squats 3x5, 1x8 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
Incline Bench press 3x5, 1x8
SLDL 3x5, 1x8

Day 3
Squat 3x5, 1x8
Seated Press 3x5, 1x8
Row 3x5, 1x8
**The backoff set of 8 is done with about 75% of the weight that was used for your 3x5 set.**

despire

I apologize for clogging the thread with a list of questions regarding this, but final transitioning out of SS feels very, very strange, and I want to make sure I do it right! Anyone is welcome to answer these.

Do you think you could share a sampling of the assistance exercises and rep parameters listed in the book? In regard to these, I'm confused as to what in the program (other than the compound lifts) can be substituted out. I'd buy the book myself, but $30 is currently out of my price range.

Speaking of the compound lifts, what sort of rest period does he recommend between them? Since I'll be lifting less weight in order to do more than 5 reps on the third set, I have to imagine I should wait less time than SS? I currently wait 5-7 minutes depending on how I feel that day.

Also, pull-ups/chin-ups are a problem for me. My gym somehow doesn't have a standard, horizontal pull-up bar, but instead has a "parallel" bar. Does this matter?

This is basically what he gives you regarding assistance. There's really no recommendation on where to actually put them in your schedule so I guess it's not that critical..
-Curl Variants Two sets: 10-12 repetitions
-Neck Extensions Four sets: 25+ reps
-Row Variants Two sets: 6- 8 repetitions
-Chin/Pull-up Variants Two sets: 6-8 repetitions (if weighted)
-Olympic Lifts 5-6 singes per session
-Direct Abdominal Exercises Two sets: 10-12 reps
-Direct Calf Exercises One set: 15-20 slow, painful repetitions
-Forearm Exercises Two sets: 12-20 repetitions
-Pull-overs Two sets: 8-10 repetitions
-Dips Two sets: 6-8 repetitions (if weighted)
-Cable arm movements Generally in the 10-12 repetition range

Rest periods same as SS. Take as much as you need. Parallel pull ups are ok as far as I know. Just another way to do them.

The book really has a ton of info, I really suggest getting it at some point.

I don't know if this is the place to ask but any advice on cutting weight?

I'm planning cutting around 5 pounds for tomorrow. It's not too big of a cut so I figure I should be able to sweat it out pretty easily but I don't really know. I've never cut weight before. I'm at 135 right now

I'm planning cutting around 5 pounds for tomorrow. It's not too big of a cut so I figure I should be able to sweat it out pretty easily but I don't really know. I've never cut weight before. I'm at 135 right now

why are you just trying to lose 5 lbs in one day? what is the reason for this?

Szu

Screw that, I'm going to squat the snow blower. If you don't hear from me in 30 minutes call an ambulance.

I'm calling the ambulance now.

I've informed the driver to look for a a person who's stalled under a snow blower.

The driver tried to correct me by asking if I meant a person with a stalled snow blower.

I told him that I meant what I said.

Then, he asked why would someone do that.

I told him that Teggy doesn't skip legs day.

Is this some sort of weigh-in for a workplace weight loss competition? Anyway, your best bet is to simply not eat or drink (especially the drinking part) between now and the weigh-in. You could probably take some diuretics or whatever to piss out excess fluid too.

Bad idea all around though.

why are you just trying to lose 5 lbs in one day? what is the reason for this?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament. I normally just fight at the weight I walk around at but a tournament on Saturday has a smaller division and I'd like to fight in it.

A lot of the guys I normally fight are cutting to get there so I'm usually one of the smaller guys but it'd be nice to be on the bigger end this time. I'd weigh in the day before so I'd have a day to rehydrate, eat up and get back up to my normal weight

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament. I normally just fight at the weight I walk around at but a tournament on Saturday has a smaller division and I'd like to fight in it.

A lot of the guys I normally fight are cutting to get there so I'm usually one of the smaller guys but it'd be nice to be on the bigger end this time. I'd weigh in the day before so I'd have a day to rehydrate, eat up and get back up to my normal weight

Ah gotcha. I really have no idea. Don't drink water? Dehydrate yourself? Less carbs? Is there a coach that can help you out with that stuff?

Ah gotcha. I really have no idea. Don't drink water? Dehydrate yourself? Less carbs? Is there a coach that can help you out with that stuff?

Yeah, my professor guy does mma stuff too so he does it all the time but I didn't really plan on cutting so never got to ask. I just hopped on the scale and realized how close I was. Thought I'd check to see if anybody has done it before and has any tips.

I think 5 pounds should be doable by just not drinking and sweating it out. I'm going to see what I can do tonight and if it doesn't really make a difference I'll just stick to my normal weight.

rage1973

Yeah, my professor guy does mma stuff too so he does it all the time but I didn't really plan on cutting so never got to ask. I just hopped on the scale and realized how close I was. Thought I'd check to see if anybody has done it before and has any tips.

I think 5 pounds should be doable by just not drinking and sweating it out. I'm going to see what I can do tonight and if it doesn't really make a difference I'll just stick to my normal weight.

Look up anyone with Wrestling background.
Those guys are notorious for serious weight cutting before a match.

rokkerkory

Effin crap i pulled my lower back again doing rows today. Spent like 20min foam rolling after. My lower back is super weak, what excercises do u guys recommend to strengthen it? It seems to get pulled on anything that requires lots of motion.

TIA

Effin crap i pulled my lower back again doing rows today. Spent like 20min foam rolling after. My lower back is super weak, what excercises do u guys recommend to strengthen it? It seems to get pulled on anything that requires lots of motion.

TIA
Are you sure it's a pull and not a herniated disc? Those things can lock up your back at the slightest provocation.

rage1973

And depending on how much you weight cutting 5 lbs shouldn't be that hard.
You just have to make sure you rehydrate yourself properly before the fight if you don't want it to affect your performance.
This is a good link on how to cut some weight before a fight.
http://www.combat-sports-supplies.com/making-the-weight-xidc79347.html

BumRush

Dedication is coming home from work, shoveling for an hour, wanting NOTHING more than to just lay on the couch but forcing yourself to go to the gym for a full leg workout...feels good.

TIA

Lower backs are tricky man...I'd rest it for a week and if it still hurts afterwards, see a doctor...for exercises, i'd do machine back extensions 2X per week since they're much more controlled than deadlifts...once you feel like your strength is there get to deadlifting!

Dedication is coming home from work, shoveling for an hour, wanting NOTHING more than to just lay on the couch but forcing yourself to go to the gym for a full leg workout...feels good.

Lower backs are tricky man...I'd rest it for a week and if it still hurts afterwards, see a doctor...for exercises, i'd do machine back extensions 2X per week since they're much more controlled than deadlifts...once you feel like your strength is there get to deadlifting!

Good mornings are good.

Oh man, I'm sick and can't breathe through my nose at all. But I showed up, did some accessory work, and then squatted 300# for 6x5 ATG.

I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom