• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

Okay so I stretched when I got home a few times and back feels better already. Still a little sore but I can walk and sit just fine. whew... going to gym tomorrow but taking it easy... it's chest day.

Also, one of my fav late night snacks is now cottage cheese with fresh crack black pepper on top! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Quest bars arrived. Cookies and cream. Expected "meh" but they are actually good. I'll be getting these more often.

I've tried almost all of them and while most are just "good for a protein bar," I think the Cookies & Cream is a legitimately tasty flavor. Almost like a candy bar or something. Very dangerous.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've tried almost all of them and while most are just "good for a protein bar," I think the Cookies & Cream is a legitimately tasty flavor. Almost like a candy bar or something. Very dangerous.

Never thought I'd see the day. May your quest be plentiful Mr. Gaoler.

Free was the only way I was gonna try it. I can honestly see having a cookies and cream one as a guilt free snack or desert.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Can somebody settle this once and for all. I was told different things about how to squat by two different trainers at the gym I go to. One said I'm supposed to point my toes straight forward, another says they need to be pointed out slightly on an angle.

Which one is it?!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can somebody settle this once and for all. I was told different things about how to squat by two different trainers at the gym I go to. One said I'm supposed to point my toes straight forward, another says they need to be pointed out slightly on an angle.

Which one is it?!

I may not know what I'm talking about, but my understanding is that toes forward or very slightly out is better if you have the flexibility to stick your knees out in that position without lifting your feet off the ground.

If you don't have the flexibility, then toes pointing outward lets you stick your knees out more easily.

Skinpop

I started training for the first time in six years this week. Going to my second workout in a moment.

I'm trying to do the schedule in first post but unfortunately I can't do proper squats. I can't help my heels lifting from the ground.. Guess it will take a few weeks before I'm able to do them. What should I do instead in the meantime?

I'm also trying to ramp up my food intake. Until now I've only been eating once a day for the last couple of years(with some snacks like yogurth fruit and nuts here and there) so I really have to change my habits since I can't eat 2000+ calories in one single meal. Trying the lots of egg and milk approach, it's not very fun..

Anyway I'm glad to be back to a healthier lifestyle hopefully I'll be able to keep it up.

despire

I started training for the first time in six years this week. Going to my second workout in a moment.

I'm trying to do the schedule in first post but unfortunately I can't do proper squats. I can't help my heels lifting from the ground.. Guess it will take a few weeks before I'm able to do them. What should I do instead in the meantime?

I'm also trying to ramp up my food intake. Until now I've only been eating once a day for the last couple of years(with some snacks like yogurth fruit and nuts here and there) so I really have to change my habits since I can't eat 2000+ calories in one single meal. Trying the lots of egg and milk approach, it's not very fun..

Anyway I'm glad to be back to a healthier lifestyle hopefully I'll be able to keep it up.

You should practice squats. If you don't practice them, how do you expect to get better at them?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Question: Should Quest bars be consumed before a work-out as an energy source or afterwards as a recovery snack? And don't say "both" because I can't afford to buy them often.

Petrie

Banned

You should practice squats. If you don't practice them, how do you expect to get better at them?

And there's your answer. Are you just hoping you'll magically improve in a few weeks? Practice with just the bar. Then practice more. Then more.

Saying can't is bullshit.

I barely pulled out my last rep on squats for my 3s week. This would be my 5th cycle of 5/3/1 without having to reset, so I think that's a fairly reasonable amount of cycles to hit without failing. I should be able to finish up this cycle, but have some doubts about completing my 6th cycle.

Gonna eat more for the rest of this cycle to try and power up leading into my next 5s week in a couple of weeks.

Skinpop, along with what despire and Petrie said, you can even practice with just body weight at home if you feel more comfortable with that. I think practicing with the bar would be better, but certainly, bodyweight squats, if you attempt them with the same form you'd use with a bar, will also provide you some practice.

SeanR1221

Up 1 pound this week! Yeah yeah water but still.....

aaron-paul-boo-bitch.gif

Question: Should Quest bars be consumed before a work-out as an energy source or afterwards as a recovery snack? And don't say "both" because I can't afford to buy them often.

Not trying to be mean or anything sorry if it comes off like that.

You should put your money into protein thats more affordable and where your rate of return will be better. Quest bars are just a luxury.

Skinpop

And there's your answer. Are you just hoping you'll magically improve in a few weeks? Practice with just the bar. Then practice more. Then more.

Saying can't is bullshit.

I probably should have written that I am practicing them/trying to increase my hamstring flexibility. I'm not going to try proper squats in the gym because it's simply impossible for me right now and I don't want to injure myself. I'm doing "squats" at home with the support of a table and stretching my hamstrings every other day or so. Not very intense but enough to soften the area and hopefully increase flexibility.

edit:
gonna try that wall squat technique for sure.

Petrie

Banned
I probably should have written that I am practicing them/trying to increase my hamstring flexibility. I'm not going to try proper squats in the gym because it's simply impossible for me right now and I don't want to injure myself. I'm doing "squats" at home with the support of a table and stretching my hamstrings every other day or so. Not very intense but enough to soften the area and hopefully increase flexibility.

edit:
gonna try that wall squat technique for sure.

Get a foam roller.

I'm not sure how you'd injure yourself practicing at the gym with just the bar. Is it your pride you're worried about injuring?

Skinpop

Get a foam roller.

I'm not sure how you'd injure yourself practicing at the gym with just the bar. Is it your pride you're worried about injuring?

I can't keep my heels on the ground. So I figure I work on flexibility and once I can keep them there I'll put on weight and practice them in the gym.

Chocobro

Which one is it?!

That's why I don't give people a "definitive" answer to the question of toes going straight or outward in the squat. It's all about knowing your own leverages and body. Some people squat better with the toes straight forward (more torque is created at the hips, but you'll stress your knees and hips more) and some people squat better with their feet pointed out.

I personally squat with my toes slightly at an angle. If I squat with my toes straight, a lot of shit goes wrong at the bottom of my squat and my popliteus muscle gets strained because I don't have the flexibility.

It's really which one you feel more comfortable and powerful with. There's no one-shoe-fits-all deal with squats, everyone's biomechanics are different.

You could give this video a watch if you have time.

Petrie

Banned
I can't keep my heels on the ground. So I figure I work on flexibility and once I can keep them there I'll put on weight and practice them in the gym.

I maintain the suggestion of a foam roller. Really helps.

Also, how do you sleep? Back? Side? Stomach?

I wonder how long it will be until someone tells me to stop singing at the gym.

I normally go at 2AM so I can be alone, but I was in there at like 5AM today and it was packed. Hah.

Skinpop

I maintain the suggestion of a foam roller. Really helps.

Also, how do you sleep? Back? Side? Stomach?
I think they have that in the gym so I'll try it.

usually I go trough all positions before I fall asleep on back. Seldom sleep very well, but I've had that since I was a kid. It's not due to physical discomfort but just an inability to fall asleep.

A question on bench press:
My gym isn't the best equipped for weight lifting, it's more of a fitness gym I guess but it's the only one that's close to where I live without being too expensive so I don't have a choice. Unfortunately they don't have a proper stand for the barbell and no safety "rail" so free weight barbell bench press is out of the question.
They have this vertically locked sliding thing where you can mount a barbell but it's not the same thing. So I'm wondering if I should do a dumbbell bench press or if it's better to use the fixed bench press, or mix it up?

I wonder how long it will be until someone tells me to stop singing at the gym.

I normally go at 2AM so I can be alone, but I was in there at like 5AM today and it was packed. Hah.

Favorite song?

That's why I don't give people a "definitive" answer to the question of toes going straight or outward in the squat. It's all about knowing your own leverages and body. Some people squat better with the toes straight forward (more torque is created at the hips, but you'll stress your knees and hips more) and some people squat better with their feet pointed straight out.

I personally squat with my toes slightly at an angle. If I squat with my toes straight, a lot of shit goes wrong at the bottom of my squat and my popliteus muscle gets strained because I don't have the flexibility.

It's really which one you feel more comfortable and powerful with. There's no one-shoe-fits-all deal with squats, everyone's biomechanics are different.

You could give this video a watch if you have time.

Yah I really think it's not as simple as "toes straight" or "toes out" it has a lot to do with flexibility, height, dimensions, etc. Just like I don't like the "knees should never go past the toes" thing. It's simply not the case for many people.

Do what works, but also learn how you need to improve.

This is a pretty good article about it: http://www.catalystathletics.com/articles/article.php?articleID=113

His summary is pretty wise:
The primary goal for any coach or trainer is to prevent your athletes from getting injured. Injured athletes can’t play or train. This should always be kept in mind when deciding how to train an athlete. However, there’s a difference between training in a manner that prevents injury and one that plans for failure. I prefer the former. In other words, train wisely and safely for success rather than modifying your training to prepare you for impending doom.

Squat in the way you believe and demonstrate to be the safest and most effective for you, and teach your athletes to do the same.

usually I go trough all positions before I fall asleep on back. Seldom sleep very well, but I've had that since I was a kid. It's not due to physical discomfort but just an inability to fall asleep.

My gym isn't the best equipped for weight lifting, it's more of a fitness gym I guess but it's the only one that's close to where I live without being too expensive so I don't have a choice. Unfortunately they don't have a proper stand for the barbell and no safety "rail" so free weight barbell bench press is out of the question.
They have this vertically locked sliding thing where you can mount a barbell but it's not the same thing. So I'm wondering if I should do a dumbbell bench press or if it's better to use the fixed bench press, or mix it up?

I'd recommend doing dumbbell bench press. Is there a barbell you can use to overhead press? I would do that as well. It's not the exact same, but I get a decent amount of chest development through OHP, weighted pushups and other various lifts. I still bench, but it's not critical for me.

Skinpop

I'd recommend doing dumbbell bench press. Is there a barbell you can use to overhead press? I would do that as well. It's not the exact same, but I get a decent amount of chest development through OHP, weighted pushups and other various lifts. I still bench, but it's not critical for me.

yeah the overhead press shouldn't be a problem. thx for the advice.

To sing at the gym? Lol.... Hero by Mariah Carey, but lately I've been partial to Wrecking Ball and AFI's new album.

I hear you laughing, stop it.

If we're confessing here, I've sung it to, many times. Normally at home though. If I had muscles like you I'd sing it in public too.

Petrie

Banned

What do you mean no safety rail? You shouldn't need a safety reil if you aren't going for huge 1 rep maxes on bench.

sphinx

the piano man
Too days I was literally singing "The One" from the Backstreet Boys's Millemium while running at 9 mph on the treadmill.

does anyone get this thing that feels like a cramp or a charlie horse in their bicep? Sometimes after doing some curls or other arm shit, ill be doing something where I slightly flex my arm to brush my teeth or something else and my bicep really tightens up and hurts like hell till I put my arm back down

Szu

does anyone get this thing that feels like a cramp or a charlie horse in their bicep? Sometimes after doing some curls or other arm shit, ill be doing something where I slightly flex my arm to brush my teeth or something else and my bicep really tightens up and hurts like hell till I put my arm back down

It happens to me sometimes, but it's nothing serious but it does sting like motha every once in a while.

rokkerkory

Just had a blood test the other day... everything looks good except for vitamin D is a bit low.

Need more vita D! Going to up my intake of almond milk

My back is feeling better still a bit tender... will stretch and take it easier today in gym

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom